FlyPNS1
Posts: 5470
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:12 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:56 pm

A few updates:

AA adding a 2nd daily PNS-PHL flight in June to compete with F9 who is launching PNS-PHL in May (3x weekly).

January 2019 Traffic Report
PNS (+19.4% vs Jan 18)
VPS (+15.4% vs Jan 18)
ECP (+32.9% vs Jan 18)

Strong growth continues along the Florida Panhandle.
 
KarlB737
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:11 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:
A new thread to have discussions about gulf coastal airports that don't have thousands of daily flights


Should PGD be included in your thread title? Whether yes or no what might you expect in the next few years at PGD. Can we expect another airline to step in there. It appears Frontier did a couple years ago and then disappeared.
 
FlyPNS1
Posts: 5470
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:12 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:42 pm

KarlB737 wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:
A new thread to have discussions about gulf coastal airports that don't have thousands of daily flights


Should PGD be included in your thread title? Whether yes or no what might you expect in the next few years at PGD. Can we expect another airline to step in there. It appears Frontier did a couple years ago and then disappeared.


PGD is in the West Coast of Florida thread that includes PIE, RSW, SRQ which are probably more relevant airports than the central Gulf Coast airports.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411821
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8456
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:48 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
KarlB737 wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:
A new thread to have discussions about gulf coastal airports that don't have thousands of daily flights


Should PGD be included in your thread title? Whether yes or no what might you expect in the next few years at PGD. Can we expect another airline to step in there. It appears Frontier did a couple years ago and then disappeared.


PGD is in the West Coast of Florida thread that includes PIE, RSW, SRQ which are probably more relevant airports than the central Gulf Coast airports.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411821



CORRECT.....although, can TLH be included?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
Taeks
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:58 pm

PNS is slated to receive funding for some more airport upgrades soon.
Does anyone know, a possible runway extension is part of the expansion plan?
Last time I spoke with the previous airport director, runway 35 is ready-made for a thousand foot extension to the south which would increase the full length to 8,000 feet.
Currently, UPS flies in occasional Boeing 767s in for maintenance repairs, lightly loaded to empty I'd assume.
 
Taeks
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Here's is a recent news article on some PNS expansion details.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2019/03/ ... 233604002/
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:45 pm

BFM's website has had a bit of an update, as we see the first bits of new information which show the airport transforming from a GA/cargo airport to a more passenger-centric airport.

https://www.mobileairportauthority.com/downtown/
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:27 pm

As an update on VC's BFM-BHM service, and according to the below article, the service start has been postponed due to a shortage of commitments from Birmingham-based businesses on the route. However, this article does establish that VC will begin BFM-SFB service 2 May.

https://www.al.com/business/2019/03/via-flights-from-birmingham-to-mobile-on-hold-due-to-lack-of-business-commitments.html
 
ATLgaUSA
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm

southsky wrote:
As an update on VC's BFM-BHM service, and according to the below article, the service start has been postponed due to a shortage of commitments from Birmingham-based businesses on the route. However, this article does establish that VC will begin BFM-SFB service 2 May.

https://www.al.com/business/2019/03/via-flights-from-birmingham-to-mobile-on-hold-due-to-lack-of-business-commitments.html


The proposed flight times did not work for same day trips. For a BHM-BFM flight to be viable, it will have to be an early morning flight down from BHM and a late afternoon/early evening flight back. If the times don’t allow for daytrips, it won’t work.
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:36 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
southsky wrote:
As an update on VC's BFM-BHM service, and according to the below article, the service start has been postponed due to a shortage of commitments from Birmingham-based businesses on the route. However, this article does establish that VC will begin BFM-SFB service 2 May.

https://www.al.com/business/2019/03/via-flights-from-birmingham-to-mobile-on-hold-due-to-lack-of-business-commitments.html


The proposed flight times did not work for same day trips. For a BHM-BFM flight to be viable, it will have to be an early morning flight down from BHM and a late afternoon/early evening flight back. If the times don’t allow for daytrips, it won’t work.


I agree. I don't think the market initially has the demand nor VC has enough capacity for 2 daily RTs either. Although, it is a bit easier filling an E145. Both ends of the route will need to have the ability to schedule daytrips for it to work.
 
Fixinthe757
Topic Author
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:49 am

Its titled Gulf Coast airports, so that would include all Gulf Coast airports. Just because its not in the title thread doesn't mean its being left out, just too many to put in the title
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:49 am

I bet business folks in Alabama have found out how sketchy Via is and doesn't want to commit to such a 'who knows how long route will last' operation. Good luck to all involved.....
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
Fixinthe757
Topic Author
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:27 am

BHM does seem like a waste, not really sure how much biz is done between Bham and here in Mobile...I could see Atlanta or Raleigh, or other comparable size cities not that far away....hope it works though, we need all the help we can get as far as air traffic goes
 
xjetflyer2001
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Wed May 01, 2019 3:18 pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Fa6Ro17daz

Mobile Downtown Airport Terminal is opening today for flights on Frontier starting this afternoon.
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Wed May 01, 2019 7:07 pm

xjetflyer2001 wrote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjj1OH5zfrhAhUHRK0KHdyKCqEQwqsBMAZ6BAgKEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fox10tv.com%2Finside-the-new-mobile-downtown-airport%2Fvideo_6509c6fe-767b-5062-8215-69e215fc5a67.html&usg=AOvVaw3c0fUYAdk6oFFa6Ro17daz

Mobile Downtown Airport Terminal is opening today for flights on Frontier starting this afternoon.


The first flight to ORD just took off. Seems like the terminal looked to be quite easy for passengers on the first flights.
 
FlyPNS1
Posts: 5470
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:12 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 pm

The terminal (small as it is) should be able to handle what little traffic there is...as there's only a 3x weekly to DEN, 2x weekly to ORD and Via with 3x weekly to SFB. I'm amazed the TSA was willing to staff it given how few flights there are plus still staffing MOB.

In other news, PNS had a very strong March. Total March passenger traffic was up 22% (compared with March 18) to 191,157 passengers. This was an all-time record for the month of March.

VPS also had a very strong March. Total March passenger traffic was up 15.8% (compared with March 18) to 116,515 passengers. This was also an all-time record for the month of March.
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:44 pm

https://www.fox10tv.com/news/source-new ... 3e5e8.html

A local tv station in Mobile seems to be reporting NK and G4 are looking to add service at BFM.
 
CIDFlyer
Posts: 2116
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Spirit I’m not sure of, the market seems
Smallish compared to where they fly now. Allegiant I could see as a spoke with flights to SFB and LAS perhaps
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:37 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Spirit I’m not sure of, the market seems
Smallish compared to where they fly now. Allegiant I could see as a spoke with flights to SFB and LAS perhaps


I wasn't surprised to hear G4 (SFB and/or LAS sounds about right), but NK would be a surprise if it comes true. I'd assume NK (if it is actually happening) would be to MCO and/or LAS.
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:49 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
I bet business folks in Alabama have found out how sketchy Via is and doesn't want to commit to such a 'who knows how long route will last' operation. Good luck to all involved.....

That is more of a Southern Express type of route, anyway.
 
Fixinthe757
Topic Author
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:52 am

It would be awesome if G4 and NK came here to BFM. Have some doubt about G4 though since they serve GPT, but if they did it would need to be on different days than GPT as they are Wed and Sat only. Could definitely see NK since the closest airport they serve is MSY. Personally id love to see Southwest come in and see if the "Southwest effect" would happen.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:
It would be awesome if G4 and NK came here to BFM. Have some doubt about G4 though since they serve GPT, but if they did it would need to be on different days than GPT as they are Wed and Sat only. Could definitely see NK since the closest airport they serve is MSY. Personally id love to see Southwest come in and see if the "Southwest effect" would happen.


Southwest is a no. They serve MSY and PNS and they really don’t have expansion plans. They pulled out of a lot of cities that are close in size to mobile. NK is big in MSY and they aren’t expanding into small cities like Mobile yet. Give it a couple of years and they might give mobile a shot. G4 is wild card. Mobile isn’t exactly a tourist hit spot. The only routes I see is a weekly seasonal flight to LAS and twice weekly flight to Florida.
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Delta28L wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:
It would be awesome if G4 and NK came here to BFM. Have some doubt about G4 though since they serve GPT, but if they did it would need to be on different days than GPT as they are Wed and Sat only. Could definitely see NK since the closest airport they serve is MSY. Personally id love to see Southwest come in and see if the "Southwest effect" would happen.


Southwest is a no. They serve MSY and PNS and they really don’t have expansion plans. They pulled out of a lot of cities that are close in size to mobile. NK is big in MSY and they aren’t expanding into small cities like Mobile yet. Give it a couple of years and they might give mobile a shot. G4 is wild card. Mobile isn’t exactly a tourist hit spot. The only routes I see is a weekly seasonal flight to LAS and twice weekly flight to Florida.


WN I don't see at BFM in the near future. G4 would certainly be the most likely (their LFs in GPT look pretty bad), and NK would be a surprise but it is possible (they are already in smaller markets to be sure). While Mobile might not be the hottest thing in tourism (it is getting better in that realm), there are Carnival cruises out of Mobile that would have a positive effect on bookings as well as the proximity to several beaches. And not just Baldwin county beaches: Dauphin Island is a popular spot for mid-westerners.
 
CRJ200flyer
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Made a new infographic highlighting the airport. It’s incredible to me looking in the airliners.net and jetphotos database how few images there are from the airport, especially recently given the new build aircraft there.

Image

https://www.facebook.com/CommercialAvia ... ographics/
 
Delta28L
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 pm

So is MOB going to redeveloped when the moving of all ops to BFM is done?
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: Gulf Coast Thread (MOB, BFM, GPT, PNS, VPS, ECP) - 2019

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Thank you for the infographic, CRJ200flyer.

Delta28L wrote:
So is MOB going to redeveloped when the moving of all ops to BFM is done?


Yes, but it will remain an airport. The general thought is that MOB will be primarily for Coast Guard and any air cargo tenants that would like to be there. The airport authority has a lot of land out there so it is possible a substantial additional development could occur.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos