southwest1675

Re: Memphis Aviation - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 am

Made the drive from BNA to MEM. It was my first time visiting Memphis. I gotta say, the city and market really have potential. I went to Graceland and the Civil Rights Museum. I heard all sorts of different accents. Nice to see the airport will be much improved, and you will see new service eventually come to the airport. The drive to Memphis isn’t bad, but I think there is potential for jet service between BNA and MEM again.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 2:50 am

jplatts wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
I wonder if UA will ever try SFO-MEM. Can an E175 make the trip?

UA does operate regional jets on its SFO-STL and SFO-MSN nonstop routes, but STL and MSN are slightly closer to SFO than MEM is. UA would likely need to operate mainline on the SFO-MEM nonstop route as MEM is probably too far east from SFO to be able to be served nonstop on regional jets.

I agree that UA adding SFO-MEM nonstop service might happen as MEM is one of the top domestic destinations traveled to from the San Francisco Bay Area that isn't currently served nonstop from any of the San Francisco Bay Area airports.

I think the only reason that AA doesn't fly LAX and United doesn't fly SFO is that it would take an A319 or 737 mainline to do it. This is where I wish they'd add the C-Series/A-220-100 like Delta. It's perfect for that kind of route

I noticed that Allegiant went to 6x weekly to Destin during June and July and really bumped up LAS for the early summer. Who the demand was there to even try that with a 130 plus seater 6 days a week.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Made the drive from BNA to MEM. It was my first time visiting Memphis. I gotta say, the city and market really have potential. I went to Graceland and the Civil Rights Museum. I heard all sorts of different accents. Nice to see the airport will be much improved, and you will see new service eventually come to the airport. The drive to Memphis isn’t bad, but I think there is potential for jet service between BNA and MEM again.

Memphis is finally on the cusp of getting in on some growth.

Wish Allegiant would give TYS/MEM a try. Going through Nashville gets worse and worse. Several reasons why, the Dollywood/Great Smokies tourism draw plus the UT ties

Jshank83

Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 am

jplatts wrote:
I agree that UA adding SFO-MEM nonstop service might happen as MEM is one of the top domestic destinations traveled to from the San Francisco Bay Area that isn't currently served nonstop from any of the San Francisco Bay Area airports.

Actually..... G4 flies seasonally from MEM-OAK. So technically it is served from a Bay Area airport.

MEMscott

Tue May 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Universal Asset Management is having an open house of their Tupelo recycling center in on June 15th. The highlight appears to be tours of a retired 747.

Airventure737

Tue May 28, 2019 7:46 pm

It looks like MEM might be using a shared-use gate system in the updated B concourse, rather than the system where one airline has exclusive access to gates.

Also, gate space, at times, will be very tight, so they're working on a plan to accommodate more planes.

Let me know if the article can't be accessed.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/5231/ ... -Concourse

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 pm

Airventure737 wrote:
It looks like MEM might be using a shared-use gate system in the updated B concourse, rather than the system where one airline has exclusive access to gates.

Also, gate space, at times, will be very tight, so they're working on a plan to accommodate more planes.

I said it was a mistake many times and it would prove costly to not to redo all of B. Let us remember that only 2/3rds of B is getting rebuilt. The Southwest hall of B will remain in it's current state and planned to be unused. They should have redo all of B as costs will always rise.

TVNWZ

Tue May 28, 2019 8:27 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

I said it was a mistake many times and it would prove costly to not to redo all of B. Let us remember that only 2/3rds of B is getting rebuilt. The Southwest hall of B will remain in it's current state and planned to be unused. They should have redo all of B as costs will always rise.

I think it is wishful thinking...hoping someone--any one--will want to eventually start some sort of hub there and they will modernize it then. Wishful Thinking.

membase

Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Not surprised by these developments at all. I think I posted once before that the number of RONs already exceeds the 23 gates they're building out. In the article Scott Brockman mentioned how they wanted to build it out to 32 gates which I presume would have taken in at least some of the southwest leg of B, but the airlines vetoed that over costs. Now they'll have to deal with gate-sharing and towing aircraft to/from remote parking overnight. I suppose that as long as the airlines will deal with that, MEM can operate for a long time with only 23 gates as we never have anything close to that number of aircraft on the ground except overnight.

By the time the modernized 23 gates come online in 2021, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the unmodernized B-gates closest to the rotunda are pressed into service for overflow (note Brockman's comment about using gates that don't all look the same). Trouble with that approach is that whenever they final do get around to modernizing the SW leg, they'll have to relocate those gates to A or C temporarily. If only they were building out the structural shell of the SW leg now, they could finish out gates incrementally as needed.
Last edited by membase on Tue May 28, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fargo

Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Airventure737 wrote:

Not only they should have done the whole thing at once, but they should have moved the FIS facility to A or C while they are at it. Doesn't make sense to keep it in B when MEM will have limited international arrivals for the foreseeable future.

membase

Tue May 28, 2019 9:59 pm

Fargo wrote:
Not only they should have done the whole thing at once, but they should have moved the FIS facility to A or C while they are at it. Doesn't make sense to keep it in B when MEM will have limited international arrivals for the foreseeable future.

The 2010 master plan for the airport actually had the international arrivals moved to Concourse C along with a reconfiguration of the C subterminal for int'l baggage claim. I don't know if that's still under consideration, but will have to be looked at whenever they finish out the B modernization. There has to be at least some kind of customs processing facility in place for the seasonal Caribbean flights, and a return of transatlantic service in the next 5 years can't be ruled out.

CX773W

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 am

Just a couple of curious questions here:
1. Among the lower-cost carriers, why are F9, G4 and WN more interested in serving MEM compared to B6 and NK?
2. Why is AS still not interested in serving MEM for the time being?

Bradlee102896

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 am

I flew into Memphis back on May 17th and it amazed me how high the fares were on American between Charlotte and Memphis. I ended up taking a $213 one stop (stopover in Dallas) one way ticket vs taking a $534 nonstop one way ticket. I thought that was outrageous.

OzarkD9S

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 am

Bradlee102896 wrote:

I flew into Memphis back on May 17th and it amazed me how high the fares were on American between Charlotte and Memphis. I ended up taking a $213 one stop (stopover in Dallas) one way ticket vs taking a $534 nonstop one way ticket. I thought that was outrageous.

Spoke-to-hub prices are always high, spoke-hub-spoke prices are reasonable, usually.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:15 pm

CX773W wrote:
Just a couple of curious questions here:
1. Among the lower-cost carriers, why are F9, G4 and WN more interested in serving MEM compared to B6 and NK?
2. Why is AS still not interested in serving MEM for the time being?

I sent you a pm.

Right now, I don't see how they add much service till B is done.

WN inherited MEM from Airtran but is hadicapped with any new service with the MAX debacle and all but finally seems to have embraced MEM's potential. Frontier was flying supposedly mostly full flights to LAS but cut it. They are very wishy washy.

AS's 737s are too much plane at the moment. The A220 and/or E2s would be perfect birds for west coast cities feom a place like Memphis.

I still can't understand B6s lackof MEM/BOS on one of their embraers, that is the lowest hanging fruit out there, maybe with their A220s and possible need for TATL feed which brings me to this:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... itors.html

International tourism still climbing even with the overall slowdown. Viking is still planning their river cruise expansion. Supposedly they have found an US partner and shipbuilder. They are again in talks with numerous possible ports besides the Obcious ones in Nawlins, Memphis and St. Louis.

jplatts

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:30 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
I still can't understand B6s lackof MEM/BOS on one of their embraers, that is the lowest hanging fruit out there, maybe with their A220s and possible need for TATL feed which brings me to this:

DL bringing back MEM-BOS nonstop service is another possibility as DL already serves BOS nonstop from some other destinations that aren't currently served by B6 such as CVG, CMH, IND, MCI, MKE, and ORF.

N292UX

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:18 pm

jplatts wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

DL bringing back MEM-BOS nonstop service is another possibility as DL already serves BOS nonstop from some other destinations that aren't currently served by B6 such as CVG, CMH, IND, MCI, MKE, and ORF.

I don't think B6 will be coming to MEM very soon, mainly due to Moxy coming along soon, MEM (I believe) was listed as a likely suitor for Moxy. I bet they would try at least go for OAK/SFO, SEA, TPA, MCO, FLL, and maybe a few other cities like RSW, BOS, MSY, and LAX. I think DL launching MEM-BOS is pretty likely since they have aircraft better suited for the route (CRJ-700/900 E-175s) compared to something like an A220. An A220 is a great aircraft for west coast routes from MEM, so if Moxy does come to town, I see them maybe giving that a shot at some point.

N292UX

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:34 pm

At the same time, I have concerns about DL wanting to add more routes from MEM. They've shrunk their MEM operation down to ~20 flights to 5 cities, and have even cut flights to hubs/focus cities such as SLC, CVG, BOS, JFK, and SEA. In that sense, I sort of feel like SLC-MEM would come before BOS-MEM just because SLC is a larger hub and would provide much better west coast connections for DL than any of the other cities currently served from MEM. Right now, most of the DL west coast connections are probably going through MSP and LAX, but SLC would have way more options for passengers. BOS-MEM I could see coming after SLC-MEM, but I feel like SLC would probably come first.

But my main concern with this is that I'm still not convinced that DL is all onboard with adding more routes out of MEM right now. Like most cities in MEM's region, DL generally tends to try and funnel as many passengers as possible through ATL, and adding cities like SLC/BOS would go against that, so I'm not entirely convinced that those routes may happen at the moment.

It's a shame AA doesn't have interest in operating p2p routes in their network. MEM, in my opinion would be a great location for AA to add a few p2p routes from. They're now the largest airline in MEM, and fly to all their hub markets except LAX (NYC is served through LGA). I think MEM-LAX would be a first step and a route that would work for AA. Then, I see markets like BOS, IND, BNA, MSY, RDU, PIT, CVG, and TPA working out for AA. I'd assume most of these routes (except for places like TPA) if ever launched would be on Embraers, but I see them being successful ones and filling the gaps needed from MEM. I doubt AA would try a bay area route since someone else would try it first, but I feel like AA is missing out on some good opportunities to draw even more passengers from MEM. If they did do this, I'd assume it'd be in after Parker is gone and someone else would be running the ship at AA, but I wouldn't bank on it, and it's also possible that other carriers would've filled these gaps from MEM then.

jplatts

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:20 pm

N292UX wrote:
At the same time, I have concerns about DL wanting to add more routes from MEM. They've shrunk their MEM operation down to ~20 flights to 5 cities, and have even cut flights to hubs/focus cities such as SLC, CVG, BOS, JFK, and SEA. In that sense, I sort of feel like SLC-MEM would come before BOS-MEM just because SLC is a larger hub and would provide much better west coast connections for DL than any of the other cities currently served from MEM. Right now, most of the DL west coast connections are probably going through MSP and LAX, but SLC would have way more options for passengers. BOS-MEM I could see coming after SLC-MEM, but I feel like SLC would probably come first.

But my main concern with this is that I'm still not convinced that DL is all onboard with adding more routes out of MEM right now. Like most cities in MEM's region, DL generally tends to try and funnel as many passengers as possible through ATL, and adding cities like SLC/BOS would go against that, so I'm not entirely convinced that those routes may happen at the moment.

I agree that DL bringing back MEM-SLC nonstop service might happen since DL is still expanding at SLC and since DL added a few additional nonstop routes out of SLC such as SLC-CLE, SLC-CMH, SLC-MKE, and SLC-PIT during the last 2 years. MEM-SLC is also within the range of regional jets, and DL still operates regional jets on a few longer nonstop routes such as IAH-LGA and MCI-SEA.

membase

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:06 pm

FedEx has significantly increased its investment in the MEM hub modernization/expansion project:

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/6586/fedex-ramps-up-hub-modernization-project-to-1

This makes the investment at MEM roughly the same as the IND hub expansion. There is one poster over on the IND thread who has talked about them catching up to or even surpassing MEM as FedEx’s primary hub someday, but this announcement should put any such thoughts to rest. You don’t invest all that capital in a facility just to maintain its capacity, much less shrink it. At any rate, exciting times of growth at both of those fine airports!

globalwings

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:46 am

N292UX wrote:

It's a shame AA doesn't have interest in operating p2p routes in their network. MEM, in my opinion would be a great location for AA to add a few p2p routes from. They're now the largest airline in MEM, and fly to all their hub markets except LAX (NYC is served through LGA). I think MEM-LAX would be a first step and a route that would work for AA. Then, I see markets like BOS, IND, BNA, MSY, RDU, PIT, CVG, and TPA working out for AA. I'd assume most of these routes (except for places like TPA) if ever launched would be on Embraers, but I see them being successful ones and filling the gaps needed from MEM. I doubt AA would try a bay area route since someone else would try it first, but I feel like AA is missing out on some good opportunities to draw even more passengers from MEM. If they did do this, I'd assume it'd be in after Parker is gone and someone else would be running the ship at AA, but I wouldn't bank on it, and it's also possible that other carriers would've filled these gaps from MEM then.

It wouldn’t seem that Delta would add any more flights to Memphis. Why would they? They shutdown MEM as a hub after the airport had been a hub for many years as a Northwest hub. Nashville which is only 200 miles away is now their focus city in the area. Nashville has a larger population and more international service. Delta prefers Nashville, not Memphis. Sad (given the history of Memphis as a hub in the past), but true...

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... th-458669/

membase

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:41 am

DL might add a route to MEM from a hub or focus city if the volume is there, but that’s it. BOS and SLC are the only ones that really come to mind. But I don’t really see that BNA has much to do with MEM’s DL service. Apart from international service perhaps, BNA is too far of a drive to bleed off MEM in any significant way.

TYSflyer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:16 am

It looks like next month American will be running 2 of 3 flights on MEM-DCA as mainline (A319 and A320). This is new correct? I think this has recently been primarily operated by regional carriers.

Airventure737

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:54 pm

[quote]It looks like next month American will be running 2 of 3 flights on MEM-DCA as mainline (A319 and A320). This is new correct? I think this has recently been primarily operated by regional carriers./quote]

AA.com does confirm this upgrade. I have to wonder if it is an error, but if not this is a wonderful upgrade. It's odd though that the cities with mainline service from AA out of DCA are very large cities normally with a hub or focus city by AA.

TYSflyer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Airventure737 wrote:
It looks like next month American will be running 2 of 3 flights on MEM-DCA as mainline (A319 and A320). This is new correct? I think this has recently been primarily operated by regional carriers./quote]

AA.com does confirm this upgrade. I have to wonder if it is an error, but if not this is a wonderful upgrade. It's odd though that the cities with mainline service from AA out of DCA are very large cities normally with a hub or focus city by AA.

It is definitely quite a capacity increase. I wonder if AA does better on DCA-MEM than other similar sized cities given the lack of any service on MEM-IAD. Just a thought if the increase is legitimate. AA just updated their schedules through November last night and the increase is available starting in September through November.

membase

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:39 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
It looks like next month American will be running 2 of 3 flights on MEM-DCA as mainline (A319 and A320). This is new correct? I think this has recently been primarily operated by regional carriers.

I have to say, I didn’t see that coming on top of the recent switch to mainline on at least one of the MEM-PHL flights. But it follows the recent trend of upgauging not only by AA but also UA with a MEM-ORD and two MEM-IAD frequencies being mainline. On some nights I have even seen UA bring a 737-900 in here from IAD.

tommyy

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 am

I fly a lot to MEM from NYC and a lot of times I take AA via DCA as the connection is timed very well, every time I fly that route I see a lot of my fellow passengers doing the same connections as AA has only one non stop flight to MEM, the only carrier that has a few flights to NYC daily is UA but their prices are sky high even if you book in advance and you get the pleasure of flying the ERJ 145 that has not been updated since they got it and looks like crap

Favre4

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:35 am

membase wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

I have to say, I didn’t see that coming on top of the recent switch to mainline on at least one of the MEM-PHL flights. But it follows the recent trend of upgauging not only by AA but also UA with a MEM-ORD and two MEM-IAD frequencies being mainline. On some nights I have even seen UA bring a 737-900 in here from IAD.

NO UA direct IAD flights..

tommyy

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:42 am

Favre4 wrote:
membase wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

He probably meant IAH

TTailedTiger

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:46 am

Favre4 wrote:
membase wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

UA really needs to add MEM-IAD if they are going to use IAD as the hub to serve the southeast. MCO is my primary airport and there is really no logical way right now to get to MEM on UA.

membase

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:19 pm

tommyy wrote:
Favre4 wrote:
membase wrote:

He probably meant IAH

I did. Sorry.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Airventure737 wrote:
It looks like next month American will be running 2 of 3 flights on MEM-DCA as mainline (A319 and A320). This is new correct? I think this has recently been primarily operated by regional carriers./quote]

If AA added MEM/LAX it will damn near be approching a focus city. That would be all hubs except JFK.

I'm curious why UA hasn't added IAD. UA SFO/MEM screams A220, too bad they didn't order them.

I'm hoping Moxy finds a great home at MEM if they do come there.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:30 pm

The lack of direct regional service from MEM is really surprising to me, as someone who lived there in the '80's when Republic, then NW had hubs there. Yesterday, I flew MEM-IAH on UA. The lady seated next to me was connecting at IAH to STL! That's a major backtrack! She said here only other good option was to fly DL through ATL, or AA through ORD. I think there is no longer n/s service to BNA, MSY, or MCI either? A previous flight I took out of MEM this year my seatmate was flying MEM-IAH-CMH. I guess this is notmal for the carriers there, but it seems like these are some pretty long backtrack segments.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:31 pm

The lack of direct regional service from MEM is really surprising to me, as someone who lived there in the '80's when Republic, then NW had hubs there. Yesterday, I flew MEM-IAH on UA. The lady seated next to me was connecting at IAH to STL! That's a major backtrack! She said here only other good option was to fly DL through ATL, or AA through ORD. I think there is no longer n/s service to BNA, MSY, or MCI either? A previous flight I took out of MEM this year my seatmate was flying MEM-IAH-CMH. I guess this is normal for the carriers there, but it seems like these are some pretty long backtrack segments.

ThaneC

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Passenger service to/from MEM is dismal. There are only about 83 flights per day on all the carriers serving the airport. Service to the west coast is the worst with only one nonstop flight per day (6am) on Delta that doesn’t even operate daily, plus 3x weekly on Allegiant.

The problem at MEM is the lack of passengers.

Memphis is a poor city that is economically challenged on many levels. The corporate market is anemic and the city is not a big player for tourism and conventions. The air service levels have been stagnant for several years although some flights haven upguaged to larger aircraft. Memphis does not offer nonstop flights to many key US cities including: Boston, Raleigh, SF Bay Area, Seattle, San Diego, Salt Lake City, JFK, IAD, Austin, Cleveland, New Orleans, St. Louis or Nashville. Many passengers drive the 200 miles over to BNA, which is now has more than 4X more annual pax than Memphis.

jplatts

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:37 pm

ThaneC wrote:
Many passengers drive the 200 miles over to BNA, which is now has more than 4X more annual pax than Memphis.

It is actually sometimes cheaper to fly out of MEM and connect through MDW, BWI, DAL, or DEN on WN than it is to drive to BNA from Memphis and fly out of BNA on WN. The MEM-MDW, MEM-BWI, and MEM-DAL nonstop flights are also all shorter than the drive to BNA from Greater Memphis (which is over 3 hours).

There is less leakage to BNA from MEM than was the case in the past with WN now serving BNA.

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 pm

ThaneC wrote:
Passenger service to/from MEM is dismal. There are only about 83 flights per day on all the carriers serving the airport. Service to the west coast is the worst with only one nonstop flight per day (6am) on Delta that doesn’t even operate daily, plus 3x weekly on Allegiant.

Memphis is a poor city that is economically challenged on many levels. The corporate market is anemic and the city is not a big player for tourism and conventions. The air service levels have been stagnant for several years although some flights haven upguaged to larger aircraft. Memphis does not offer nonstop flights to many key US cities including: Boston, Raleigh, SF Bay Area, Seattle, San Diego, Salt Lake City, JFK, IAD, Austin, Cleveland, New Orleans, St. Louis or Nashville. Many passengers drive the 200 miles over to BNA, which is now has more than 4X more annual pax than Memphis.

That'll happen when 25% of the market drives to BNA
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:51 pm

ThaneC wrote:

Wut?

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/06/ ... e-tourism/

Memphis just hosted a major golf tourney where the company my brother works for bought a half million dollar home on the course to entertain during this new annual major event.

The convention center is finally getting a massive makeover along with a new Lowes hotel and COGIC will be coming back. Some aren't thrilled with that.

Memphis is on many places to visit list including the #1 place to visit in May

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/plac ... index.html

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2018/11/ ... ces-visit/

ThaneC

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:11 pm

MEMPHIS (MEM):
4,419,541 total passengers at MEM January-December 2018

https://www.flymemphis.com/Areas/Admin/ ... 101734.pdf

NASHVILLE (BNA):
15,996,194 passengers traveled to and from BNA in 2018, an increase of more than 1.86 million passengers over the 2017 calendar year, representing a 13.2 percent increase, and setting a new, all-time passenger record for the sixth consecutive calendar year.

https://www.flynashville.com/news-and-m ... recap.aspx

membase

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 pm

ThaneC wrote:

You may not be satisfied with Memphis's air service, but MEM"s passenger counts are better than several other comparably-sized metro areas:

City / Metro Population (M) / CY18 Enplanements (M)

Memphis (MEM) / 1.4 / 2.2

Providence (PVD) / 1.6 / 2.1
Milwaukee (MKE) / 1.6 / 3.5
Jacksonville (JAX) / 1.5 / 3.1
Oklahoma City (OKC) / 1.4 / 2.1
Raleigh (RDU) / 1.4 / 6.3
Richmond (RIC) / 1.3 / 2.0
Louisville (SDF) / 1.3 / 1.9
New Orleans (MSY) / 1.3 / 6.6
Salt Lake City (SLC) / 1.2 / 12.2
Hartford (BDL) / 1.2 / 3.3
Birmingham (BHM) / 1.2 / 1.5

MEM is basically in the middle of the pack. That does not quite make it "dismal".

membase

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:33 pm

ThaneC wrote:
MEMPHIS (MEM):
4,419,541 total passengers at MEM January-December 2018

https://www.flymemphis.com/Areas/Admin/ ... 101734.pdf

NASHVILLE (BNA):
15,996,194 passengers traveled to and from BNA in 2018, an increase of more than 1.86 million passengers over the 2017 calendar year, representing a 13.2 percent increase, and setting a new, all-time passenger record for the sixth consecutive calendar year.

https://www.flynashville.com/news-and-m ... recap.aspx

Not sure I really get the point. Nashville's airport is growing rapidly. Yay. Go post that on the Nashville thread.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 pm

ThaneC

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 pm

The overwhelming majority of people visiting Memphis drive there. They do not typically fly.

Conventions held in Memphis are typically smaller groups because the city doesn’t yet have an adequate convention center, nor are there enough hotel rooms to support large convention groups. Glad to see the old convention hall is finally being updated and that some new hotels may be in the works. If tourism, convention travel and corporate travel where more robust, MEM would see some growth in its passenger numbers.

N292UX

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:48 pm

AA has (finally) launched a seasonal LAX-MEM beginning 12/18 with an A319. The A319 seems the perfect aircraft for this route IMO, and I'm thinking this one should work out to them.

In the wake of the DL hub cuts, AA has really solidified themselves as MEM's #1 airline. At this point, they have way for flights than DL does, plus a lot more diversity in terms of destinations (11 of the 21 daily DL departures are to ATL, and besides ATL, DL only serves DTW, LAX, MSP, and LGA from MEM). JFK is now the only AA hub without service to MEM. I doubt AA will be adding MEM-JFK anytime soon, but I've seen crazier things. Meanwhile, AA has recently added a lot more mainline flying to MEM, including flights to LAX, PHL, PHX, and DCA. Not too long ago, CLT and DFW were the only AA hubs with mainline service. AA has really quietly built up MEM into one of their larger non-hub stations.

How many average daily departures from MEM does AA have now?

Ishrion

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:01 pm

N292UX wrote:
AA has (finally) launched a seasonal LAX-MEM beginning 12/18 with an A319. The A319 seems the perfect aircraft for this route IMO, and I'm thinking this one should work out to them.

In the wake of the DL hub cuts, AA has really solidified themselves as MEM's #1 airline. At this point, they have way for flights than DL does, plus a lot more diversity in terms of destinations (11 of the 21 daily DL departures are to ATL, and besides ATL, DL only serves DTW, LAX, MSP, and LGA from MEM). JFK is now the only AA hub without service to MEM. I doubt AA will be adding MEM-JFK anytime soon, but I've seen crazier things. Meanwhile, AA has recently added a lot more mainline flying to MEM, including flights to LAX, PHL, PHX, and DCA. Not too long ago, CLT and DFW were the only AA hubs with mainline service. AA has really quietly built up MEM into one of their larger non-hub stations.

Note that it looks like it'll only run for less than 3 weeks for the holiday season: December 18 to January 6.

N292UX

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Ishrion wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Note that it looks like it'll only run for less than 3 weeks for the holiday season: December 18 to January 6.

I saw that. Must be experimental or very limited service. Probably testing the waters. Assuming it goes well, I bet we see more frequencies between LAX and MEM.

Ishrion

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:32 pm

N292UX wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
N292UX wrote:

I saw that. Must be experimental or very limited service. Probably testing the waters. Assuming it goes well, I bet we see more frequencies between LAX and MEM.

Honestly I was surprised AA didn't already serve MEM-LAX, I guess I got it confused with BNA. Hope this does well.

N292UX

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Ishrion wrote:
N292UX wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Honestly I was surprised AA didn't already serve MEM-LAX, I guess I got it confused with BNA. Hope this does well.

I'm thinking it will. MEM is somewhat underserved from LAX. Plus, AA probably has a pretty large flier following in MEM now.

ThaneC

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:14 pm

It’s too bad this is just for the holiday season as Memphis has terrible service to the west coast. LAX has been the airport’s only nonstop west coast destination for many years and usually only 1 flight per day at bad departure/arrival times. American has limited gates at LAX that can be used for other routes, so it seems clear this won’t likely be extended. The ongoing issue is the lack of passenger demand to/from MEM.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:05 pm

ThaneC wrote:
It’s too bad this is just for the holiday season as Memphis has terrible service to the west coast. LAX has been the airport’s only nonstop west coast destination for many years and usually only 1 flight per day at bad departure/arrival times. American has limited gates at LAX that can be used for other routes, so it seems clear this won’t likely be extended. The ongoing issue is the lack of passenger demand to/from MEM.

By Greg Akers
Editor-in-Chief, Memphis Business Journal
Aug 20, 2019, 9:04am CDT
Updated an hour ago
Travelers from and through Memphis to the West Coast — or to Asia and Australia — will have a new option to get there beginning in December.

American Airlines announced Tuesday, Aug. 20, a new daily seasonal nonstop flight from Memphis International Airport to Los Angeles International Airport. The seasonal service is scheduled to begin Dec. 18, 2019, and run through Jan. 7, 2020 — though it may continue past then if demand is there.

Delta Air Lines and Allegiant Air also fly nonstop to LAX — though Allegiant flies there twice weekly.

MEM to LAX enables one-stop connections to 11 other West Coast destinations, as well as one-stop international connections to Auckland, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, and more.

American also flies nonstop from Memphis to Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C. A 128-seat Airbus A319 will ferry MEM-LAX travelers to and

This new MEM-LAX service is a significant development in our efforts to expand West Coast connectivity, and we are grateful that American has once again responded to passenger demand,” Pace Cooper, chairman of the Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority board of commissioners, said in a release. “We hope our passengers will support this flight and make their case for year-round service."

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... s_headline

I'll add my two cents. International tourism has continued to grow in Memphis in spite of the overall downturn. Two of the top markets has been Austrailia and Japan. The Memphis convention Center is basically getting rebuilt and a new 600 plus room Lowes hotel.

This route would have been around long ago if a regional could serve it. Just like SFO and UA. It takes a mainline and this is a mainline bird. As the article states, this is a trial balloon and during a peak traveling season.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos