Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Emirates next Latin American destination: Lima?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 am

Emirates and Peru authorities are currently in talks about establishing flights between Dubai and Lima. This comes as the negotiations between both sides are currently held and in place according to the director of Peru Trade, Tourism and Investment Office in the UAE, Alvaro Silva-Santisteban.

However, Alvaro Silva-Santisteban has stated that he will be continuing to push for flights ahead of Expo 2020 in Dubai.
Quote: ''Direct flights between Dubai and Peru’s capital “are just a matter of timing"

Peru is ranked at the third place in counties with investments in the United Arab Emirates. According in Alvaro Silva-Santisteban, a delegation from UAE companies is visiting Peru every 15 days. But according to an Emirates spokesperson, No firm plans to launch flights to Peru despite the talks,but, the airline will keep exploring opportunities to strengthen its South American network according to commercial priorities and operational dynamics.

Could we see direct flight connecting Peru and Dubai? The distance between DXB and LIM is 9,219mi or approximately 14836.54 Km. according to gc mapper.

Source: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... estination

C010T3

Re: Emirates next Latin American destination: Lima?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am

Lima lies even further than SCL, so I believe it is not quite so simple.

Perhaps as fifth freedom flight like DXB-ZRH-LIM, but not as a non-stop flight.

a350lover

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 am

Considering the reports of Emirates dropping frequencies to Latin America which we have seen and commented on a.net last week...

...this would be quite surprising.

xwb777
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 am

Maybe Emirates will wait for the B777X?

MalevTU134

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:49 am

Peru being the 3rd largest investor in the UAE? I really don't have a clue, but it doesn't sound right.
EDIT: The article says "in Latin America". Now, that makes more sense. The OPer should take more care to quote correctly from the article, or not quote at all and let it speak for itself.

All this sounds like hot air to me. What they are talking about is probably an Air Services Agreement, but there are loads of these in place without flights ever materializing.
Last edited by MalevTU134 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caryjack

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:55 am

xwb777 wrote:
I'm sure the will, but I'd always thought they'd use it 1st on MEX.

2travel2know2

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:34 am

EK to code-share with AV or LATAM?
After what happen with EK DXB-PTY, EK DXB-LIM I will believe when it lands at LIM.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

DominoxX

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:50 am

Maybe the fact Brazil is not doing well that EK thinks it can help load to tag a Brazil flight to LIM, LIM is largely low-yield (for example the LATAM 767s based there have only 18 J seats. Adding to this SCL has been launched a few months ago and is not doing as well as expected, per chilean forums SCL-DXB traffic accounts for 25% of the flight, with most pax getting off in Brazil. But my guess is they won't drop it, Qatar has their eyes on SCL and so does Ethiopian. So getting to LIM before Qatar does seems like their trick.
Thank u, next.

dcajet

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Emirates is retrenching in South America right now; this smacks of wishful thinking by some tourism & trade official; not going to happen, and even less so before 2020.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

pipeafcr

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Earlier this week Emirates Cargo started cargo service to BOG, through Maastricht, and the representative of Emirates for Latin America had a short interview with a newspaper where he stated that EK is currently analyzing the market to serve passenger service to Colombia through a partnership with a local airline (most likely AV or Latam Col)
Felipe Carrillo

dcajet

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 pm

pipeafcr wrote:
Earlier this week Emirates Cargo started cargo service to BOG, through Maastricht, and the representative of Emirates for Latin America had a short interview with a newspaper where he stated that EK is currently analyzing the market to serve passenger service to Colombia through a partnership with a local airline (most likely AV or Latam Col)

LATAM is 10% owned by Qatar (and they want more). Hell will freeze over before Qatar collaborates with its arch enemy the UAE and its darling airline, Emirates.

This is all wishful thinking by tourism officials or regional airline reps.

pipeafcr

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 pm

dcajet wrote:
pipeafcr wrote:

LATAM is 10% owned by Qatar (and they want more). Hell will freeze over before Qatar collaborates with its arch enemy the UAE and its darling airline, Emirates.

Then the local airline must be Avianca considering that they’re also their cargo partner in Latin America. In any case I wouldn’t be surprised if EK announces passenger service to either BOG or LIM before this year’s end
Felipe Carrillo

dcajet

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:32 pm

pipeafcr wrote:
dcajet wrote:
pipeafcr wrote:

Then the local airline must be Avianca considering that they’re also their cargo partner in Latin America. In any case I wouldn’t be surprised if EK announces passenger service to either BOG or LIM before this year’s end

Would love to see more EK all over South America. But seeing how they have drastically cut back in larger regional markets such as GRU and EZE, their lack of pilots and lack of a suitable equipment that would allow them to serve the region more efficiently I doubt we will see such expansion. Hopefully once the 787 arrives in house and their pilots' shortage gets solved, we will see EK expand in the region - and in MEX too (sorely lacking from their network).

I am thinking now... with UA calling some of the shots at Avianca Holdings now, and given that there is no love lost between UA and the ME3... not sure if we will see any collaboration there as well.

pipeafcr

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:23 pm

dcajet wrote:
pipeafcr wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Would love to see more EK all over South America. But seeing how they have drastically cut back in larger regional markets such as GRU and EZE, their lack of pilots and lack of a suitable equipment that would allow them to serve the region more efficiently I doubt we will see such expansion. Hopefully once the 787 arrives in house and their pilots' shortage gets solved, we will see EK expand in the region - and in MEX too (sorely lacking from their network).

I am thinking now... with UA calling some of the shots at Avianca Holdings now, and given that there is no love lost between UA and the ME3... not sure if we will see any collaboration there as well.

I’m only commenting on what I read but one can’t forget that despite the deal between UA and AV, they are still separate airlines, in different regions, and each with their own boards. It seems like the deal will only affect North to South American routes and therefore UA’s beef with ME3 shouldn’t impact any other agreement between AV and any other airline (that’s why AV is also negotiating another similar deal with Lufthansa).

Also if EK is mentioning a possible expansion it must be for a reason and it’s not just wishful thinking. Unlike Brazil and Argentina, the economies of the Pacific Alliance are growing and this might be a reason for EK’s statements and possible incursions.
Felipe Carrillo

dcajet

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 pm

pipeafcr wrote:
dcajet wrote:
pipeafcr wrote:

I’m only commenting on what I read but one can’t forget that despite the deal between UA and AV, they are still separate airlines, in different regions, and each with their own boards. It seems like the deal will only affect North to South American routes and therefore UA’s beef with ME3 shouldn’t impact any other agreement between AV and any other airline (that’s why AV is also negotiating another similar deal with Lufthansa).

Also if EK is mentioning a possible expansion it must be for a reason and it’s not just wishful thinking. Unlike Brazil and Argentina, the economies of the Pacific Alliance are growing and this might be a reason for EK’s statements and possible incursions.

With Efromovich's finances in dire straits and his participation in AVH as a collateral for United's investment, it is not far fetched to imagine a potential scenario where United Continental Holdings has a much louder voice on Avianca's day to day (Lufthansa and United are very, very close. Emirates? Not so). But we digress.

Again, please don't think I am not in favor of seeing EK at LIM or somewhere else. But again, EK has not said a word; rather it has been a local rep or a trade/tourism bureaucrat. Those can't hardly be taken to carry EK's imprimatur. Fact is EK is retrenching in the region due to too much capacity on a newish-route: South America to the Gulf and connections to points beyond, with EK, TK, QR and ET all fighting for the same piece of business. Their retrenchment has nothing to do with the local economies (Chile's economy is doing great and they can barely fill 30% of the plane - and mostly to GRU!)

pipeafcr

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 pm

dcajet wrote:
Again, please don't think I am not in favor of seeing EK at LIM or somewhere else. But again, EK has not said a word; rather it has been a local rep or a trade/tourism bureaucrat. Those can't hardly be taken to carry EK's imprimatur. Fact is EK is retrenching in the region due to too much capacity on a newish-route: South America to the Gulf and connections to points beyond, with EK, TK, QR and ET all fighting for the same piece of business. Their retrenchment has nothing to do with the local economies (Chile's economy is doing great and they can barely fill 30% of the plane - and mostly to GRU!)

I'm not very familiar with the intentions from the tourism authorities from LIM but I do know that EK is currently looking into operating in Colombia (not sure of which destination but mostly likely BOG <<maybe even CTG>>) and that's why I believe that we may have an announcement by the end of the year, which is still 11 months away and logistics movements may occurr.
Felipe Carrillo

LightChop2Chop

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Would DXB AKL/SYD LIM be possible? Would they have traffic rights?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 pm

xwb777 wrote:

Possibly that
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Gemuser

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:06 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:
Would DXB AKL/SYD LIM be possible? Would they have traffic rights?

Unlikely, AFAIK their 5th freedom rights only extend to NZ. It would require renegotiation of the Australia/UAE ASA.

Gemuser

YIMBY

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 am

A direct flight is wishful thinking. Dubai to Lima takes 18 hours. Such ultra long-haul flights make sense only for high-end business passengers. Traffic to and from Peru is mostly tourists and VFR of lower ends. Given the current scarcity of flights between Lima and Europe, I cannot imagine how they would fill the very large plane from Dubai.

Connecting flights with code shares are certainly possible.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos