Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:04 am

I'm curious how many airworthy 727-100s are left in 2019. Notably, airfleets does not have a 727 production list.

From what I gather, the following B721s are active (or recently active), and it is just a handful:

VP-BAY (flew last week at VNY)
VP-BAP (seen at SXM this month)
VP-BPZ (presumably still airworthy, last seen at BQK)
VP-BDJ (ex-Trump plane, hasn't been flying in a while)
N908JE (in storage at BQK 2 years)
C5-GOG (Gambia Gov't, last seen flying in 2016, stored LFMP?)
N311AG (recent video in flight on YouTube, registration renewed until 2022)
N30MP (based at Chino(?), registration renewed until 2022)
N7001U (at BFI, presumably an airworthy registration, but will likely never fly again)
P4-FLY (last flew ~2009, scrapped?)
HK-4154 (last seen flying in 2018, unknown status)
2-MMTT (last seen flying in 2018, unknown status)
N800AK (last seen in 2017, unknown status)

Others:
N46 (FAA, reg canx but still largely in tact, research article)
N113 (former DOJ prison jet, largely in tact)

Also it seems that there are no longer *any* with 3x RR Tay engines left flying. They looked so neat with the updated #2 ducting.
People are saying. Believe me.
 
tapairbus370
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 am

Hi,

I always like this threads, it´s very interesting and curious to see the end of a "species", (not saying is a good thing).
I also like to follow the other threads, related with this theme, around here about DC-8, DC-3, etc.
One of these days there will be one about the A310.... :smile:


Anyway, regarding this thread, from the list you published maybe you can only count with about 6 I would say.

If you search for world airliner census online you will get only 2 operators (Lyca Cargo and Lineas aereas Sudamericanas), but this list don´t have private or government operators. And this is data from 2017.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2152
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:33 am

VP-BDJ is parked in SZB, but it doesn't look like it's in storage because it's parked on the flight line. The owner's probably limited its flying because they recently acquired Google's old 767.

N800AK is also owned by the same company, but I didn't see it at SZB so I'm not sure where it is.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 am

Actually I take that back, seems N800AK has RR Tays - in fact UPS did the mod!
People are saying. Believe me.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:41 am

tapairbus370 wrote:
One of these days there will be one about the A310.... :smile:


Kinda already is: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1408103
 
bennett123
Posts: 10078
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:45 am

2-MMTT stored Kemble from early December 2018.
 
UA947
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
N800AK is also owned by the same company, but I didn't see it at SZB so I'm not sure where it is.

N800AK is in Sri Lanka, landed two weeks ago at Bandaranaike.
I'm not going on a Boeing
 
BravoOne
Posts: 4094
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:06 pm

There is a corporate -100 in either KOAK or KSFO. Belongs to the Getty family and has been in their possession since the late eighties...I think. I have a friend who fly's it on occasion. Beautiful airplane. It may have the RR mod. It has been in the corporate config for many years now having belonged to Revlon in it;s prior life. Sorry I don't recall the registration.
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:09 pm

BravoOne wrote:
There is a corporate -100 in either KOAK or KSFO. Belongs to the Getty family and has been in their possession since the late eighties...I think. I have a friend who fly's it on occasion. Beautiful airplane. It may have the RR mod. It has been in the corporate config for many years now having belonged to Revlon in it;s prior life. Sorry I don't recall the registration.

That would be N311AG, which is on my list. :)
People are saying. Believe me.
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:16 pm

If anyone knows of derelict B721s out there, feel free to share. Curious as to where the in tact, but non-airworthy frames are.
Seems most of the ex-UPS B721 ended up in ROW, all long gone by now. There is a single one left at KROW but I can't discern the registration.
People are saying. Believe me.
 
bennett123
Posts: 10078
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:23 pm

P4-FLY on Jetphotos at Brunswick Georgia 29/04/2011 possibly stored.
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm

bennett123 wrote:
P4-FLY on Jetphotos at Brunswick Georgia 29/04/2011 possibly stored.

This one seems to be a parts donor for the dozen or so (probably less) airworthy B721s.
BQK is probably the only reputable shop in the world for Jurassic Boeing maintenance these days.
People are saying. Believe me.
 
tapairbus370
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:59 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
tapairbus370 wrote:
One of these days there will be one about the A310.... :smile:


Kinda already is: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1408103



Yes, but I was referring to a thread doing the "countdown" of the ones in service (private, commercial or other), not a general one. :bigthumbsup: 8-)
 
BravoOne
Posts: 4094
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 pm

KICT wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
There is a corporate -100 in either KOAK or KSFO. Belongs to the Getty family and has been in their possession since the late eighties...I think. I have a friend who fly's it on occasion. Beautiful airplane. It may have the RR mod. It has been in the corporate config for many years now having belonged to Revlon in it;s prior life. Sorry I don't recall the registration.

That would be N311AG, which is on my list. :)


Ah yes, that would be for Ann Getty:)
 
classicjets
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:03 pm

N727AH flew a ferry flight VNY to CNO last October (video on YouTube) after 10 years of storage. Apparently plans for refurbishment.
The Getty 727 N311AG has been listed for sale for a while now, I guess no takers yet. Still flies sporadically. Hangared at KMCC.
The Kingfisher livery 727 N727VJ was largely intact at Kingman last year without engines or radome, but I don't know its present status.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2654
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:11 pm

How lunch longer will there be any 727's flying?
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2876
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
How lunch longer will there be any 727's flying?


I’d suspect a lot of the remaining 722s will be around for several more years. USA Jet just acquired a “new” 722 from CargoJet.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6516
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:07 pm

N311AG is a -100 with a -200 wing, built as a corporate jet, I believe for ITT. The Getty family has had it for a long time, Valsan mod done in the mid-90s, winglets, -217 in #1 & #3 with a -17 in #2. Lots of thrust, but the OEW is pretty high, only has about a 10 pax payload.

GF
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 pm

There are lots of 727-100s in South America. I am sure that at least one of them is still airworthy. The 727-100 has always been popular with South American airlines.
 
tapairbus370
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
How lunch longer will there be any 727's flying?


I’d suspect a lot of the remaining 722s will be around for several more years. USA Jet just acquired a “new” 722 from CargoJet.



If nothing abnormal happens and looking at the age of the youngest airframes I would say at least 10 years more.
 
FlyMKG
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:49 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 am

KICT wrote:
If anyone knows of derelict B721s out there, feel free to share. Curious as to where the in tact, but non-airworthy frames are.
Seems most of the ex-UPS B721 ended up in ROW, all long gone by now. There is a single one left at KROW but I can't discern the registration.


N231FL, a 727-22C, is stored at CYLW. It was the last -100 freighter in the United States. I was the flight engineer on its final flight. Awesome airplane.
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:33 am

Dominion301 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
How lunch longer will there be any 727's flying?


I’d suspect a lot of the remaining 722s will be around for several more years. USA Jet just acquired a “new” 722 from CargoJet.


I know Kalitta still has a handful of 200s airworthy, 5 or 6.

Speaking of the 100s, I think that there are at the most 5 of them in the whole world still airworthy. There was a thread about the 727 recently when the last passenger variant was retired in Iran. There are at this point less than 50 727s remaining airworthy today (2019) if not less. The youngest one is no less than 34 years old!
Ben Soriano
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2654
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:12 am

American 767 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
How lunch longer will there be any 727's flying?


I’d suspect a lot of the remaining 722s will be around for several more years. USA Jet just acquired a “new” 722 from CargoJet.


I know Kalitta still has a handful of 200s airworthy, 5 or 6.

Speaking of the 100s, I think that there are at the most 5 of them in the whole world still airworthy. There was a thread about the 727 recently when the last passenger variant was retired in Iran. There are at this point less than 50 727s remaining airworthy today (2019) if not less. The youngest one is no less than 34 years old!


I remember watching the news reports of the last FedEx 727 coming off the line in 1984.

At what point do the remaining operators retire them? Fifty remaining around the whole world is not a lot. At what point does it not make sense to continue using them? How many pilots will want to get type rates on them? How long will engines be available?
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:13 am

The thread topic is the 727-100.
People are saying. Believe me.
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 am

I remember flying on AA, CO and NW 727s back in the late 90s-2002. Interesting experience. Do not know if they were 100 or 200s. (I think 200s) anyway, I also like threads like this! :-).
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380
 
KICT
Topic Author
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:40 am

Given the time frame you mentioned they most certainly would have been -200s.
The -100s didn't last very far into the 1990s, but boy did they look good!

People are saying. Believe me.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2876
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:26 pm

KICT wrote:
If anyone knows of derelict B721s out there, feel free to share. Curious as to where the in tact, but non-airworthy frames are.
Seems most of the ex-UPS B721 ended up in ROW, all long gone by now. There is a single one left at KROW but I can't discern the registration.


There's actually one in Ottawa at the general aviation Carp airport. It's an ex-First Air bird, with it's wings and vertical stabilizer cut short. However, you'll never be able to see it as it's been in a hangar (First Air's former HQ) for almost the past 15 years. It's used by the federal government for training purposes. There's an ex-CO DC-10 there too in the same situation that's been there roughly the same amount of time.
 
User avatar
United_fan
Posts: 6691
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:11 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:47 pm

VP-BDJ was scrapped. They were selling pieces of the skin.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:06 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
American 767 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I’d suspect a lot of the remaining 722s will be around for several more years. USA Jet just acquired a “new” 722 from CargoJet.


I know Kalitta still has a handful of 200s airworthy, 5 or 6.

Speaking of the 100s, I think that there are at the most 5 of them in the whole world still airworthy. There was a thread about the 727 recently when the last passenger variant was retired in Iran. There are at this point less than 50 727s remaining airworthy today (2019) if not less. The youngest one is no less than 34 years old!


I remember watching the news reports of the last FedEx 727 coming off the line in 1984.

At what point do the remaining operators retire them? Fifty remaining around the whole world is not a lot. At what point does it not make sense to continue using them? How many pilots will want to get type rates on them? How long will engines be available?


I think that what matters is when the next D check is due, at this point. if you take into account the price of hush kitting the engines and the D Check MX, the total cost will offset the price of buying a younger aircraft whether used or new.
Ben Soriano
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:26 pm

American 767 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
American 767 wrote:

I know Kalitta still has a handful of 200s airworthy, 5 or 6.

Speaking of the 100s, I think that there are at the most 5 of them in the whole world still airworthy. There was a thread about the 727 recently when the last passenger variant was retired in Iran. There are at this point less than 50 727s remaining airworthy today (2019) if not less. The youngest one is no less than 34 years old!


I remember watching the news reports of the last FedEx 727 coming off the line in 1984.

At what point do the remaining operators retire them? Fifty remaining around the whole world is not a lot. At what point does it not make sense to continue using them? How many pilots will want to get type rates on them? How long will engines be available?


I think that what matters is when the next D check is due, at this point. if you take into account the price of hush kitting the engines and the D Check MX, the total cost will offset the price of buying a younger aircraft whether used or new.


Is hush kitting required by law? I believe that Continental replaced their 727-100s with 737-300s.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:46 am

Boy, did I love the looks of the -100 series!
I remember flying on a Dan-Air -100 in the early '80s. They were cool jets! I remember the spotless, and very colourful interior (damask red of some sort?), the thickly padded seats, and the refitted overhead bins. All in all a really nice jet.
These were ex Japan Air Lines (or TOA?) birds, which had had the rear emergency exit a-la -200 added right before the engine intake line, and were certified for 150 or so pax I think, making them the most crowded 727-100s in the world!
 
User avatar
CrimsonNL
Posts: 2139
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N311AG is a -100 with a -200 wing, built as a corporate jet, I believe for ITT. The Getty family has had it for a long time, Valsan mod done in the mid-90s, winglets, -217 in #1 & #3 with a -17 in #2. Lots of thrust, but the OEW is pretty high, only has about a 10 pax payload.

GF


I think you may be confusing 311AG with another aircraft, as she started her career with CP air in 1971!



Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1868
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
American 767 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

I remember watching the news reports of the last FedEx 727 coming off the line in 1984.

At what point do the remaining operators retire them? Fifty remaining around the whole world is not a lot. At what point does it not make sense to continue using them? How many pilots will want to get type rates on them? How long will engines be available?


I think that what matters is when the next D check is due, at this point. if you take into account the price of hush kitting the engines and the D Check MX, the total cost will offset the price of buying a younger aircraft whether used or new.


Is hush kitting required by law? I believe that Continental replaced their 727-100s with 737-300s.

Indirectly, yes.

Hush kits are required to quiet down the loud noise of the early low bypass engines (such as the JT8D-1/-7/-9 found on the 727-100). When those became needed, some airlines decided it was time to ditch the 727 and replace it with a more modern, more fuel efficient aircraft. Some soldiered on for longer until stricter Noise Regulation came into play, which sounded the end for most 727.

Some Australian airport decided to ban the 727 altogether, regardless of the hush kit that was installed (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 2e91e240b7).
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4784
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:40 pm

American 767 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
American 767 wrote:

I know Kalitta still has a handful of 200s airworthy, 5 or 6.

Speaking of the 100s, I think that there are at the most 5 of them in the whole world still airworthy. There was a thread about the 727 recently when the last passenger variant was retired in Iran. There are at this point less than 50 727s remaining airworthy today (2019) if not less. The youngest one is no less than 34 years old!


I remember watching the news reports of the last FedEx 727 coming off the line in 1984.

At what point do the remaining operators retire them? Fifty remaining around the whole world is not a lot. At what point does it not make sense to continue using them? How many pilots will want to get type rates on them? How long will engines be available?


I think that what matters is when the next D check is due, at this point. if you take into account the price of hush kitting the engines and the D Check MX, the total cost will offset the price of buying a younger aircraft whether used or new.


Do any un-hushed 727s even exist now? I would figure most were done by the 90s.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2654
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:47 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
American 767 wrote:

I think that what matters is when the next D check is due, at this point. if you take into account the price of hush kitting the engines and the D Check MX, the total cost will offset the price of buying a younger aircraft whether used or new.


Is hush kitting required by law? I believe that Continental replaced their 727-100s with 737-300s.

Indirectly, yes.

Hush kits are required to quiet down the loud noise of the early low bypass engines (such as the JT8D-1/-7/-9 found on the 727-100). When those became needed, some airlines decided it was time to ditch the 727 and replace it with a more modern, more fuel efficient aircraft. Some soldiered on for longer until stricter Noise Regulation came into play, which sounded the end for most 727.

Some Australian airport decided to ban the 727 altogether, regardless of the hush kit that was installed (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 2e91e240b7).


Since it is problematic to reengine the center engine, restrictions on engine types will keep 727's out of many countries. UPS refused to license its STC for reengining 727-100's. Their 727-100 fleet was scrapped after retirement to prevent operation by other airlines.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1868
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Is hush kitting required by law? I believe that Continental replaced their 727-100s with 737-300s.

Indirectly, yes.

Hush kits are required to quiet down the loud noise of the early low bypass engines (such as the JT8D-1/-7/-9 found on the 727-100). When those became needed, some airlines decided it was time to ditch the 727 and replace it with a more modern, more fuel efficient aircraft. Some soldiered on for longer until stricter Noise Regulation came into play, which sounded the end for most 727.

Some Australian airport decided to ban the 727 altogether, regardless of the hush kit that was installed (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 2e91e240b7).


Since it is problematic to reengine the center engine, restrictions on engine types will keep 727's out of many countries. UPS refused to license its STC for reengining 727-100's. Their 727-100 fleet was scrapped after retirement to prevent operation by other airlines.

Which STC are you talking about? The change from P&W JT8D's to RR Tay's? I thought that was factory.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6516
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:14 pm

The Tay conversion was all UPS.

GF
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Is hush kitting required by law? I believe that Continental replaced their 727-100s with 737-300s.

Indirectly, yes.

Hush kits are required to quiet down the loud noise of the early low bypass engines (such as the JT8D-1/-7/-9 found on the 727-100). When those became needed, some airlines decided it was time to ditch the 727 and replace it with a more modern, more fuel efficient aircraft. Some soldiered on for longer until stricter Noise Regulation came into play, which sounded the end for most 727.

Some Australian airport decided to ban the 727 altogether, regardless of the hush kit that was installed (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 2e91e240b7).


Since it is problematic to reengine the center engine, restrictions on engine types will keep 727's out of many countries. UPS refused to license its STC for reengining 727-100's. Their 727-100 fleet was scrapped after retirement to prevent operation by other airlines.

Why doesn't UPS want other airlines operating their retired 727-100s?
 
User avatar
NWAROOSTER
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Indirectly, yes.

Hush kits are required to quiet down the loud noise of the early low bypass engines (such as the JT8D-1/-7/-9 found on the 727-100). When those became needed, some airlines decided it was time to ditch the 727 and replace it with a more modern, more fuel efficient aircraft. Some soldiered on for longer until stricter Noise Regulation came into play, which sounded the end for most 727.

Some Australian airport decided to ban the 727 altogether, regardless of the hush kit that was installed (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 2e91e240b7).


Since it is problematic to reengine the center engine, restrictions on engine types will keep 727's out of many countries. UPS refused to license its STC for reengining 727-100's. Their 727-100 fleet was scrapped after retirement to prevent operation by other airlines.

Why doesn't UPS want other airlines operating their retired 727-100s?

UPS owns the STC for the conversion and appears to have done it themselves. UPS probably does not not want the liability problems with some other possible fly by night airline operating them. Also the engines and related parts are worth as much as the complete aircraft. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm

Are the RR Tays more efficient than the PW JT8D-9?
 
RalXWB
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:21 pm

I doubt that there is anybody left who wants to operate this type. Production of the - 200 ended 35 years ago, when was the last - 100 made?
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2654
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:18 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Are the RR Tays more efficient than the PW JT8D-9?


I'm sure they were. They were definitely quieter. That was the primary reason for the conversions. UPS wanted to make its fleet of 727-100's quieter, because they would be flying into and out of airports late at night and early in the morning. As I recall they had to decrease MTOW due to the lower thrust. Part of UPS's business model was to sell off the used engines once the planes were retired.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 pm

RalXWB wrote:
I doubt that there is anybody left who wants to operate this type. Production of the - 200 ended 35 years ago, when was the last - 100 made?

1972, forty seven years ago. I can't remember which airline took delivery of this final 727-100. It is interesting that the 727-100 outlived the 737-100.
 
User avatar
SuperGee
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 am

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:35 am

tapairbus370 wrote:
Hi,

I always like this threads, it´s very interesting and curious to see the end of a "species", (not saying is a good thing).
I also like to follow the other threads, related with this theme, around here about DC-8, DC-3, etc.
One of these days there will be one about the A310.... :smile:


Anyway, regarding this thread, from the list you published maybe you can only count with about 6 I would say.

If you search for world airliner census online you will get only 2 operators (Lyca Cargo and Lineas aereas Sudamericanas), but this list don´t have private or government operators. And this is data from 2017.


Sad to see it go:

"(CNN) — Air travelers will no longer be able to enjoy the Boeing 727's distinctive design after the jet made its last commercial passenger flight."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/boei ... index.html
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2876
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Any 727-100s Left?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:33 am

blacksoviet wrote:
RalXWB wrote:
I doubt that there is anybody left who wants to operate this type. Production of the - 200 ended 35 years ago, when was the last - 100 made?

1972, forty seven years ago. I can't remember which airline took delivery of this final 727-100. It is interesting that the 727-100 outlived the 737-100.


Not surprising considering the +400 721s built vs the very few 731s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos