WayexTDI

Re: BR Flight Attendant Subjected to Unreasonable Requests by Disabled Pax of Size

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:56 pm

juliuswong wrote:
Wonder if there is any update on the case? The crew involved would have been grounded by now for investigation. The FA who went to media highly will be fired to save face for the company.

The creep is riding on old school say "Westerners are dominant and Asians should be subservient" to them. Screw humanity and sympathy. Such individual should be run over by 12 wheeler truck.

I think the creep is from the US. In such case, trucks in the US are called 18-wheelers; 6 more wheels for him to feel the pain of his stupidity :lol:

juliuswong

Re: BR Flight Attendant Subjected to Unreasonable Requests by Disabled Pax of Size

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:35 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Wonder if there is any update on the case? The crew involved would have been grounded by now for investigation. The FA who went to media highly will be fired to save face for the company.

The creep is riding on old school say "Westerners are dominant and Asians should be subservient" to them. Screw humanity and sympathy. Such individual should be run over by 12 wheeler truck.

FA has been given 3 weeks off and HAS NOT been fired. They definitely won't fire her with the media storm she's been getting. That's just creating a bigger issue.

The CP also has 3 weeks off; some of her fellow crew say she plans on resigning. Mgmt. has issued a memo reminding all to NOT adhere to these silly requests and instead issue warning cards. Pilots have been told that when informed, the best route is to divert and offload. They also reminding them to be careful of social media posts and photo taking as their can be repercussions legally and internally.

Thank you for the update. Poor CP, her flying career is shortened unnecessarily by this traumatic incident. Hope both FA and CP "recover" soon. I'm curious doesn't BR has any male cabin crew, if they don't they should consider hiring some now. Not to wipe ass, rather to deal with such situation more tactfully without being too obligated.

The management should also consider blacklisting this horrible, terrible creep. Also Star Alliance if need be.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

alesfr

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:09 am

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
alesfr wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Let’s cut out the PC nonsense, shall we? The passenger was fat, plain and simple! Yes, most people who are fat or obese are responsible for their bulk. Claiming a disability because of being fat or obese is such nonsense and is merely a crutch to gain special treatment.

This passenger sounds like a total creeper and might have some sort of weird fetish for having people attend to his bathroom needs. Ban this guy from flying all carriers!

Calm down dude, we're here to discuss.

How is it indicated that I'm less than calm? Like others on this thread, I'm merely expressing my opinion. Perhaps you should avoid making assumptions?

What I'm doing it's called inference, not assumption ;-)
A318 A319 A320 A320N A321 A333 ATR72 BAE146 B735 B737 B738 B742 B753 B763 B772 B773 B789 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ1000 DASH8 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170 E190 F100 MD82 S2000

PPVLC

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Regardless of his weight - I don't care if he's fat, morbidly obese, overweight, well-fed, big, large, comfy, plus-size whatever you want to call him, his behaviour was abusive and it shows he's not a mentally balanced person; come on, to leave the lav door open because he's claustrophobic what is that? The other passengers and crew have to put up with someone like this? If he can't cope with his own lack of mobility due to whatever reason he should have a carer with him. Does BR provide the crews with a suitable protection to deal with bodily waste? Wouldn't this be a matter of public health? End of rant, sorry.
Cabin crew L188 707 727 737 767 A300 DC10 MD11 777 747

macc

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Simple, regardless if he is a creep or not:

No male crew on board? if no, management to blame, as such things are foreseeable, if yes, cabin crew to blame.

Left aside that company policy should put some limits to what crew should be exposed to. But then, if you do have a problem, its up to them to cope. Thats why they deserve more pay.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

rbavfan

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Etheereal wrote:
Cush wrote:
I don't think people that are extremely overweight or with certain disabilities/problems should be alone on flights. People just assume "they are the airlines problem now", which isn't fair. The FA's aren't being paid to wipe someone or take care of your loved ones. FA's are there to serve the passengers by providing assistance in the event of an emergency, as well as other in-flight duties.

It reminds me of something i observed one time. I had just got off a LONG flight from DXB to IAD and had 1 more segment until I was finally home. We had a slight wait for takeoff due to weather, but we were finally airborne. I couldn't wait to get home. Then we heard it... There was a very crippled, elderly, and sick looking old man (80's to 90's i would guess) on our flight. A loud "Ughhh no it's happening" was heard and the flight attendance yelled back to ask if everything is ok. He said, "no, i need bathroom. it's happening". The FA (understandably) couldn't get up from her seat because we were in the steepest part of the climb, and she asked the passenger if he could wait, and he said no. She told him he could use the lavatory at his own risk, and he complained he can't move and needs help with everything, including his pants. Everyone around was shocked. Long story short, he didn't make it to the bathroom, and I felt badly for those passengers in the far rear of the aircraft with him.

In conclusion, if you can't take care of yourself 100% (Walk, talk, use the bathroom, and behave), then you shouldn't be allowed to board. It is nothing against those with a handicap, but, a matter of safety and consideration of others.

Not judging you, but since you posted this, do you think the "elderly lady on a wheelchair" that was abandoned on AA gate was her own fault as well?

The elderly lady was not abandoned by AA. It was also not her fault. Her son dropped her at the gate and went to catch his own flight, when he knew she had communication issues. She should have had him traveling with her. But he was in a hurry and seems to not care if he is inconvenienced. She got someone to take her to a bathroom that is in a side hallway. They left her there & did not tell the airline. It was not an airport employee that moved her. It also was not an AA employee as the airport is the contractor for that service at O'hare.

rbavfan

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Cush wrote:
I don't think people that are extremely overweight or with certain disabilities/problems should be alone on flights. People just assume "they are the airlines problem now", which isn't fair. The FA's aren't being paid to wipe someone or take care of your loved ones. FA's are there to serve the passengers by providing assistance in the event of an emergency, as well as other in-flight duties.
T
It reminds me of something i observed one time. I had just got off a LONG flight from DXB to IAD and had 1 more segment until I was finally home. We had a slight wait for takeoff due to weather, but we were finally airborne. I couldn't wait to get home. Then we heard it... There was a very crippled, elderly, and sick looking old man (80's to 90's i would guess) on our flight. A loud "Ughhh no it's happening" was heard and the flight attendance yelled back to ask if everything is ok. He said, "no, i need bathroom. it's happening". The FA (understandably) couldn't get up from her seat because we were in the steepest part of the climb, and she asked the passenger if he could wait, and he said no. She told him he could use the lavatory at his own risk, and he complained he can't move and needs help with everything, including his pants. Everyone around was shocked. Long story short, he didn't make it to the bathroom, and I felt badly for those passengers in the far rear of the aircraft with him.

In conclusion, if you can't take care of yourself 100% (Walk, talk, use the bathroom, and behave), then you shouldn't be allowed to board. It is nothing against those with a handicap, but, a matter of safety and consideration of others.

As a person with a disability from an injury I agree. The one time I had to fly after surgery without assistance I had wheelchair from curbside to curbside. I could get around if needed, but told to stay seated most of the time. 1 plane change at San Antonio. They wheeled me from arrival gate to the departure gate and left me there till the flight came. Standard procedure. I was bored out of my mind, no good views and slow at the airport. Just me, my carry on. was too sore to bother getting up.

rbavfan

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:33 pm

idlewild wrote:
I don't believe the story. Or, if it is true, not the whole story is coming out. Seriously? A stewardess all by herself decided to wipe a hiney without her supervisor's approval? And would any supervisor worth his or her salt okay this, being a non-medical emergency? Would a supervisor even do the dirty deed without consulting a hire-up via company radio? Let's think very hard about how such a process would go through the motions on something like this before we become outraged.

Really. Different countries have different treatment and processes. Many if you call a supervisor & they just say do it & you still get written up. Just ask any FA working for airlines in certain countries.

rbavfan

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Noshow wrote:
It was a handicapped passenger travelling that is okay and normal to do. Fat, white and old, that's pure racism that should have nothing to do with it, right?
However if one needs assistance one should travel with somebody providing this and not rely on cabin crew for medical help. He seems to permanently need a nurse or similar?

Weight and age have nothing to do with racism!

rbavfan

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:03 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
First, let me stipulate that no flight attendant should have to endure what this one did, and BR ought to ban the man in question.

That said, the level of bigotry and discrimination in this thread is shocking.

Disabled people shouldn't be allowed to fly? Check. (Probably blatantly illegal in the US, although I don't know offhand to what extent the ADA exempts air transport.)

Elderly people shouldn't be allowed to fly without a guardian? Check. (News flash: not every elderly person is a doddering, dementia-ridden invalid.) One step away from Saudi Arabia, I guess.

Obesity is always caused by lack of willpower and self-control? Check. (Ever head of "genetics"? Environmental factors, like the human biome? Thyroid problems? Side effects of some medications?)

Posters making this argument should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. They aren't, so I'm inflicting a good public shaming.

Airlines are covered under the ACAA, not the ADA. Different variations on some ADA rules.

tjcab

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:28 pm

JAGflyer wrote:
BR AFAIK is not a company who considers their flight attendants to be outright slaves to passengers (like many Middle Eastern airlines such as QR/EK).

Here we go again! Have you been a flight attendant at those companies? Do you have insights on their SOP's? One could make such wild claims against may large corporations, say, Amazon, several regional airlines in the US, etc., but, that would be silly. It is so frustrating when one has to insult third parties to make whatever point. Very unnecessary.

juliuswong

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:16 am

And the horror continues....The obese man is booked to travel back to Los Angeles on 17th May 2019, via Taipei. Guess which airline he chose? Eva Air!

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3626455

JoeCanuck

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 am

Why this guy was fat is irrelevant. What is relevant, (if the story is true), is that he is a deviant predator and is using his weight as a weapon...an excuse to act in whatever disgusting manner he chooses.

Air travel isn't a right. If he needs medical assistance during a flight, he should travel with a person familiar with his medical requirements. Otherwise, he should be denied a ticket.

What I really think should should happen to him...I'll keep to myself.
What the...?

Motorhussy

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 am

The male staff at TPE should have taken him to a stall and beat the crap outta him.
come visit the south pacific

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:18 pm

juliuswong wrote:
And the horror continues....The obese man is booked to travel back to Los Angeles on 17th May 2019, via Taipei. Guess which airline he chose? Eva Air!

Hopefully next time they'll be properly prepared, with some 40-grit sandpaper.
That should wipe the smile off his face.....
Nothing to see here; move along please.

many321

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:36 pm

juliuswong wrote:

Had a good chuckle how they described him as 'portly' :rotfl:

Though, I feel bad for their female staff on the flight that's taking this sorry excuse for a human being back to LAX.

I guess BR just cares for that cash and Instead of the well being of their staff. Just for that, I'd fly CI or the other marquee Asian carriers.

johns624

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:18 pm

I've noticed this with many companies. They are so worried about offending the loud, obnoxious customer that they don't think about all the loss of business from other, normal customers.

Planeflyer

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:36 pm

In Asia there exists a strong mindset that the customer is always right. It’s a non monetary belief that sometimes really hurts the business.

hayzel777
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:01 am

Today (2/1), BR held a press conference. Present was the spokesperson, the EVP of HR, the EVP of Safety, the EVP of the cabin crew mgmt. division, and the EVP of Legal.

There, the following points were made by the company:
- First off, the company apologizes to society for this incident, and apologizes to ALL staff at Eva Air who have been under the tremendous pressure after the incident.
- They have tasked their US lawyers to contact the man and inform him accordingly that he will be required to have a caretaker onboard with him should he wish to return with BR in May. No services will be given to him, except for wheelchair on ground.
- He is returning to the US in May. Because he originated in the US, they are transporting him back on humanitarian grounds. Special arrangements in crew will be made should he decide to keep his original flight. The airline will also be making special arrangements onboard.
- Under DOT Part 382, they cannot blacklist the passenger. He will be required to have a caretaker in the future should he decide to return with BR.
- The man did need assistance on ground, despite the FA's claims.
- The company did call the flight attendant multiple times prior to her press conference, as well as help her initiate workers comp. However, under Taiwan labor law, a doctors note must be given in order for workers comp. to be initiated. The flight attendant was encouraged to do so on Saturday, but she failed to do so till after her union press conference. The day of the incident, the company did take both flight attendants to the police station to make a report. They were then given the information on next steps but one decided to hold off till after the news conference instead.
- They are investigating why the man was allowed to sit on a jump seat in flight. This is a gross violation of CAA rules and they will punish to the fullest extent.
- Regarding the leaked itinerary and pax info, they have turned this over to the police and have requested their assistance in identifying and prosecuting the person(s) responsible. This leak has damaged their reputation, and they will take all means necessary to make sure this never happens, including prosecution and litigation.
- The man was actually already a "care list" pax, meaning he was required to have a caretaker prior to the flight. Unfortunately, he was not detected as his original reservation had an extra space in it.
- Regarding his past conduct, there were great exaggerations by the flight attendant's union and therefore, they are not to be taken seriously.
- According to their US corporate law firm, the man did not violate any laws. He will not be charged nor sued.

The union says that they want BR to apologize to the flight attendant herself publicly and change their management style. This is in light of this incident and a second one they had the same day. They were ignored.

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:42 am

hayzel777 wrote:
Today (2/1), BR held a press conference.The following points were made by the company:

- They have tasked their US lawyers to contact the man and inform him accordingly that he will be required to have a caretaker onboard with him should he wish to return with BR in May. No services will be given to him, except for wheelchair on ground.

- He is returning to the US in May. Because he originated in the US, they are transporting him back on humanitarian grounds. Special arrangements in crew will be made should he decide to keep his original flight. The airline will also be making special arrangements onboard.

- Under DOT Part 382, they cannot blacklist the passenger. He will be required to have a caretaker in the future should he decide to return with BR.

- The man was actually already a "care list" pax, meaning he was required to have a caretaker prior to the flight. Unfortunately, he was not detected as his original reservation had an extra space in it.

- According to their US corporate law firm, the man did not violate any laws. He will not be charged nor sued.

From my own reading of the articles, I came up with the following quotes which mostly echo your comments above.

An Eva Air flight attendant said
"The man is classified as BIP8, which means he cannot take care of himself. He has to provide a medical certificate and must have a nurse to accompany him on the plane."

However
Deputy General Manager of EVA Air's Legal Protection Department Hsu Hui-sen (許惠森) cited U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulation PART 382 which states that airlines "may not require a person with a disability to travel with another person, except in certain limited circumstances where the rule permits the airline to require a safety assistant.

Whilst Eva Air are at fault for accepting this passenger on board without an assistant, the passenger is also at fault for setting out on such a major journey, knowing his own limitations. That is unless he wishes to argue that he is so mentally feeble he should not be allowed to plan his own journeys.
The whole situation sucks.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

WayexTDI

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:47 am

hayzel777 wrote:
Today (2/1), BR held a press conference. Present was the spokesperson, the EVP of HR, the EVP of Safety, the EVP of the cabin crew mgmt. division, and the EVP of Legal.

- First off, the company apologizes to society for this incident, and apologizes to ALL staff at Eva Air who have been under the tremendous pressure after the incident.
- The company did call the flight attendant multiple times prior to her press conference, as well as help her initiate workers comp. However, under Taiwan labor law, a doctors note must be given in order for workers comp. to be initiated. The flight attendant was encouraged to do so on Saturday, but she failed to do so till after her union press conference. The day of the incident, the company did take both flight attendants to the police station to make a report. They were then given the information on next steps but one decided to hold off till after the news conference instead.
- They are investigating why the man was allowed to sit on a jump seat in flight. This is a gross violation of CAA rules and they will punish to the fullest extent.
- Regarding the leaked itinerary and pax info, they have turned this over to the police and have requested their assistance in identifying and prosecuting the person(s) responsible. This leak has damaged their reputation, and they will take all means necessary to make sure this never happens, including prosecution and litigation.
- Regarding his past conduct, there were great exaggerations by the flight attendant's union and therefore, they are not to be taken seriously.

The union says that they want BR to apologize to the flight attendant herself publicly and change their management style. This is in light of this incident and a second one they had the same day. They were ignored.

BR still found a way to blame their own personnel. Great company to work for...

IPFreely

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:28 am

idlewild wrote:
I don't believe the story. Or, if it is true, not the whole story is coming out. Seriously? A stewardess all by herself decided to wipe a hiney without her supervisor's approval? And would any supervisor worth his or her salt okay this, being a non-medical emergency? Would a supervisor even do the dirty deed without consulting a hire-up via company radio?

That's a radio call I'd like to hear. I expect most higher-ups receiving such a request would first check their calendar to make sure it was not April 1, then would spend the rest of the day trying to figure out got a hold of their frequencies to pull a prank.

TPX101

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm

hayzel777 wrote:

Thanks for the update. So what happens if he doesn't have a carer? Say, he's going to respond with, "I'm from the U.S.A. I have no carers with me, all these Thai ones can't accompany me!"

Is BR going to turn round and cancel his ticket, after saying they're "transporting him back on humanitarian grounds"? No, I don't think so, BR doesn't have the tenacity of being concerned about their front line staff. I doubt the man would be wearing adult diapers. If past transgressions are to be believed, he'll just urinate and defecate a seat, which will stink the place for hours, but then the pilot is suppose to perform an emergency landing and offload him, I presume either Japan or Anchorage; but still, the aircraft has to be taken out of rotation to be cleaned. Can anyone see how ludicrous this situation is?

They claim they can't blacklist a customer, I say, if there's a will, there's always a way.

juliuswong

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Trying to find more information on this but Metro UK newspaper reports that the man in question has died.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/18/31-stone ... y-9254898/

This came to known as Eva Air wanted to contact him to inform him the airline is to permanently ban him.

AtomicGarden

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:05 am

I'm gonna make a bet, heart attack. Or maybe he rolled over and could get back up.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

SQ789

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 am

wow! What a surprise seeing that man dies while on travel.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

many321

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:31 am

Perhaps the Flight Attendant came in and took vengeance upon his sorry phat soul. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos