Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747-600X

Re: Boston Meltdown

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 am

For those who aren't familiar, this is the FAA's official national airspace status page. It's very simple to read.
https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

As of 0040Z, when I'm posting this, EWR, MDW, and ORD are in GDPs (Ground Delay Programs). EWR EDCTs average 55 minutes, MDW 93 minutes, and ORD 378 minutes :eek: . ORD's arrival rate is 30 aircraft per hour (normally, it is 114).

FWA (Fort Wayne, Indiana) is closed, it also says, due to a disabled aircraft.

On a related note, here's the National Weather Service's (some of the fine folks who aren't getting paid) high-resolution RADAR loop for CONUS.
https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php

ScottB

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 am

georgewall42 wrote:
Some observations after flying out of Boston today:

I was flying into BOS today, via LGA. Not surprisingly, many of the DL Connection flights (including mine) ended up cancelling. I lucked out a bit thanks to DL's practice of operating even severely delayed flights in order to avoid mainline cancellations; I was able to snag a seat on last night's 7 PM LGA-BOS Shuttle which ended up operating in the early afternoon today. Otherwise I was going to be on Amtrak or the bus since the earliest available seats for rebooking were tomorrow.

747-600X wrote:
For those who aren't familiar, this is the FAA's official national airspace status page. It's very simple to read.

There's a bit of an error in the advisory for BOS in that there's no runway 17; I'm going to assume the landings are on 27 since that's how we arrived today.

IADCA wrote:
I don't understand what happened with BOS - it's not like this storm or the temperatures were unexpected.

My guess is that the crews were all indoors glued to the AFC Championship; by the time that was over, everything was solid ice.

Oilman

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:38 am

Delta flew one of the two domestic 763’s on ATL-BOS-ATL today. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N14 ... /KATL/KBOS

Delta also flew an extra section on ATL-MDW-ATL. I wonder if they chose MDW over ORD because Midway had fewer delays or if none of the DL gates fit a 757 at ORD. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KATL/KMDW

N717TW

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:42 am

Its supposed to warm up tomorrow and hit 50 on Thursday. It was horrible yesterday all around the Boston area. It got so cold at one point that the road salt wasn't melting the ice. It had warmed up and the snow/ice melted under the noon-time sun...but by 3:30 the street in front of my house was a full sheet of ice and despite the DPW putting salt down, it wasn't doing anything.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:49 am

JFK must be laughing at this meltdown. Snow is one thing, but ice is way worse, as it's harder to clear ice. Why was BOS not prepared, knowing about this flash freeze in advance?

Revelation

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
JFK must be laughing at this meltdown. Snow is one thing, but ice is way worse, as it's harder to clear ice. Why was BOS not prepared, knowing about this flash freeze in advance?

It's a good question.

I live 1 hour northwest of BOS and looked at the NECN weather app on Sunday AM and the forecaster was making the rain/snow line + flash freeze issue clear as a bell.

I knew I had to get the snow off the driveway before the rain came along and soaked it all down then the flash freeze hardened it.

Seems the Massport team really screwed the pooch on this one.

PS: KC-NE game started at 6PM, long after precip ended. You'd think the Massport crew would want to have wanted to do the snow removal early and get home for the game, unless of course they all called in sick and spent the entire day drinking.

33lspotter

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:17 am

Logan's runway ops have been landing 27 departing 22L for the last couple of hours. Apparently 33L has had a power outage of some sort, not just a broken light as I put above.

RNOcommctr

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:51 am

Yesterday my KBOS-KIAH UA flight scheduled for 1730 did not depart until 0030. That's a seven hour delay. I arrived in Houston at 0420. The taxiway that led from the ramp to runway 27 was in truly scary condition. Not a patch of bare pavement to be seen anywhere.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 am

747Whale wrote:
MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:
Airline pilots dont file their own flight plans nor do they pick their destinations on their own.

Some do.

Clearly you've never flown ACMI.

You are talking 121 Supplemental. Even at the Supplemental level where the regs and business models are different, it is rare.

I dont know of any full Part 121 passenger or cargo airline where pilots file their own flight plans or pick their own destinations.

airbazar

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:26 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:

I think JFK is thanking their lucky stars that they didn't get iced up too.
Maybe there really isn't much they can do about it? DTW has been closed since last night because of ice and ORD is experiencing delays for the same reason.
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaain ... PT=ord&p=0
There's just no easy way to manage ice.

ramzi

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:43 pm

I flew in last night on BA203 and actually had no idea things had been that bad at BOS. Everything seemed to be running smoothly by the time I got there, minus a 15min delay waiting for the 747 to vacate E12.

airbazar

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:58 pm

ramzi wrote:
I flew in last night on BA203 and actually had no idea things had been that bad at BOS. Everything seemed to be running smoothly by the time I got there, minus a 15min delay waiting for the 747 to vacate E12.

BA has a semi dedicated gate at BOS for only 4 daily flights. That certainly makes things manageable even when the rest of the airport is in chaos.
IIRC they are the only international airline in Boston that are allowed that. Everyone else needs to share :)

GuruJanitor

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:50 pm

There is a twitter report of a WN 737 off "the runway" at Logan. Looks more like a taxiway to me based on the photo. Haven't seen this reported anywhere else yet.

https://twitter.com/PaulNuttingJr/statu ... 1918148609

stlgph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:55 pm

airbazar wrote:
ramzi wrote:

BA has a semi dedicated gate at BOS for only 4 daily flights. That certainly makes things manageable even when the rest of the airport is in chaos.
IIRC they are the only international airline in Boston that are allowed that. Everyone else needs to share :)

Is the gate entirely there's or do they just have priority access to it...as the 6pm to 8pm flight turn conflicts with other schedules.

FGITD

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm

stlgph wrote:
airbazar wrote:
ramzi wrote:

Is the gate entirely there's or do they just have priority access to it...as the 6pm to 8pm flight turn conflicts with other schedules.

E10-12 have priority users.

10 is Lufthansa, 11 is Emirates, 12 is British.

It's due to the lounges with direct boarding access. The airlines made a significant investment, so massport gives them that benefit.

However if one of those 3 is running off schedule, massport will not hesitate to give their special gate away to someone else.

iahcsr

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm

GuruJanitor wrote:
There is a twitter report of a WN 737 off "the runway" at Logan. Looks more like a taxiway to me based on the photo. Haven't seen this reported anywhere else yet.

https://twitter.com/PaulNuttingJr/statu ... 1918148609

Well technically a taxiway is ‘off the runway’.... as far as news media is concerned anyway.

Seems the aircraft was being towed empty to a gate when the tug hit an ice patch and damaged the nose gear.
Last edited by iahcsr on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dieuwer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:17 pm

FGITD wrote:
stlgph wrote:
airbazar wrote:

It's due to the lounges with direct boarding access. The airlines made a significant investment, so massport gives them that benefit.

However if one of those 3 is running off schedule, massport will not hesitate to give their special gate away to someone else.

When I returned from my trip to Asia, I landed at gate E10 with EK. Ground personnel was attempting to redirect the plane (as seen on the front camera), but the captain wouldn't budge.

stlgph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:30 pm

FGITD wrote:
stlgph wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Nice to know. Is Iberia wrapped in with BA, and Swiss with Lufthansa too, or no?

Not to get too off topic from the "meltdown" at BOS today, just curious about this.

Would love to see a schematic done of the gate assignments and who gets what/when among the carriers in E. Someone has always done this about twice a year for ORD T5. E appears to be a game of very serious musical chairs at times.

pitbosflyer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 pm

stlgph wrote:
FGITD wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Nice to know. Is Iberia wrapped in with BA, and Swiss with Lufthansa too, or no?

Not to get too off topic from the "meltdown" at BOS today, just curious about this.

Would love to see a schematic done of the gate assignments and who gets what/when among the carriers in E. Someone has always done this about twice a year for ORD T5. E appears to be a game of very serious musical chairs at times.

A spreadsheet of what you have described exists for terminal E and gets posted in the Boston thread every now and then.

stlgph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Fantastic. Will go digging when I have a chance. Thanks.

FGITD

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:14 pm

stlgph wrote:
FGITD wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Iberia is not, but Swiss will usually use E9, no direct access but close enough.

Generally speaking, the only ones with semi consistent gate assignments are those 3. Though JAL usually gets the same gate daily since they're about the only aircraft on the ground at that time.

Lots of moving around, and a lot of it comes down to the airline's preference day to day. I've seen airlines request a different gate simply because it's windy, and they know they can get a more sheltered gate. Or gates with better parking options for ground equipment. The list of reasons goes on and on.

But when push comes to shove, no one gets anything specific

airbazar

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:24 pm

FGITD wrote:
stlgph wrote:
airbazar wrote:

My understanding is that even among those 3 BA gets special treatment because of their 4 frequencies. This way if one of the BA flight is delayed it just impacts the next BA flight rather than Massport having to scramble to find them another gate. There's pretty much always a BA plane at that gate from 2pm to 7:30am the next day.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Revelation wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

It's a good question.

I live 1 hour northwest of BOS and looked at the NECN weather app on Sunday AM and the forecaster was making the rain/snow line + flash freeze issue clear as a bell.

I knew I had to get the snow off the driveway before the rain came along and soaked it all down then the flash freeze hardened it.

Seems the Massport team really screwed the pooch on this one.

PS: KC-NE game started at 6PM, long after precip ended. You'd think the Massport crew would want to have wanted to do the snow removal early and get home for the game, unless of course they all called in sick and spent the entire day drinking.

They did probably as good as possible under the conditions. Salt, brine can’t be used, so if you don’t scrape it off the surfaces to the point of being essentially, you’ll be stuck with a layer of ice. Out in western Mass, it was a mess unless salted to death.

GF

FGITD

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:33 pm

airbazar wrote:
FGITD wrote:
stlgph wrote:

My understanding is that even among those 3 BA gets special treatment because of their 4 frequencies. This way if one of the BA flight is delayed it just impacts the next BA flight rather than Massport having to scramble to find them another gate. There's pretty much always a BA plane at that gate from 2pm to 7:30am the next day.

The general policy of massport is that they'll do their best to get you the gate you want, asap. BUT your operation should not impact anyone else's. So they tend to stack carriers so BA follows BA, LH follows LH, etc.

Next year will be interesting. Between BA, LH/LX, and AF/KL there's going to a big old mess

cschleic

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:28 pm

airbazar wrote:
FARmd90 wrote:
But according to another poster from another thread BOS didn’t have any snow this weekend I thought? Jkjk
In all seriousness it sounds like one big mess over there right now, hopefully they can get the ice off soon. How do they do that? Just have giant warm air machines and melt it?

It wasn't really the snow that was the problem. BOS doesn't normally have any problems handling a few inches of snow.
The problem was the freezing rain which freezes solid on contact and single digit temperatures which make it very difficult for it to melt. Deicing was the bigger problem.
Under those conditions planes have only a few minutes from deice to takeoff. That means big outbound delays, and no gates for inbound planes to go to resulting in even more compound delays. Airlines that chose not to cancel flights probably got lulled into a false sense of security by the little amount of snow in the forecast. The ever changing and unpredictable nature of the precip also made it very difficult for crews to maintain the runways. One minute it was dry snow and the next it was freezing rain. Each type of precip has it's own method for treatment. So not surprised it was a mess. I'm just glad I wasn't flying :)

Freezing rain is nasty. Plowing isn't the answer because there isn't anything to plow. The surface can start off dry but ice builds up as the rain freezes on contact. It has to melt enough to start to break up or just melt completely.

OneX123

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:29 pm

I flew in yesterday on the 5:40am JetBlue 412 from ORD. We were delayed 30 minutes due to crew rest on the 3hr delayed inbound JB11 the night before and 30 minutes further delay on the tarmac due to the 1 active runway at BOS. Was shocked how poor the conditions were at Logan upon arrival.

On a side note...someone posted the below link a few comments ago. As a non-pilot frequent flier I would love to use it moving forward. Does anyone know of a way to 'translate' the chart?

VS4ever

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
stlgph wrote:
FGITD wrote:

A spreadsheet of what you have described exists for terminal E and gets posted in the Boston thread every now and then.

I'm the one that does it, however while it does count 1-12 it does not actually show the gate assignments, because E1-E9 (and the others when not assigned above per FGITD) are common use, so there is simply no way of knowing which ones they will get. B6 for their international (non US territory) arrivals use E1-E3 primarily and I definitely have seen FI at E1, along with TP using E3 when i was sat waiting for a B6 flight and saw them pull in. The file shows overall gate usage by flight and timing at peak periods in July as that's the worst that it can get.

Here's the link, I last updated it at the beginning of December.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... oLFLk/edit

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:34 pm

OneX123 wrote:
I flew in yesterday on the 5:40am JetBlue 412 from ORD. We were delayed 30 minutes due to crew rest on the 3hr delayed inbound JB11 the night before and 30 minutes further delay on the tarmac due to the 1 active runway at BOS. Was shocked how poor the conditions were at Logan upon arrival.

On a side note...someone posted the below link a few comments ago. As a non-pilot frequent flier I would love to use it moving forward. Does anyone know of a way to 'translate' the chart?

Click on the “help” button, top right, and it explains all.

GF

747Whale

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:43 pm

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:

You are talking 121 Supplemental.

Aaah...yes. That's what ACMI is. 121 Supplemental.

richiemo

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 pm

Forget BOS. I’m going in four hour delay into EWR tonight. It’s cloudy there. That’s all. There is no excuse for this consistent breakdown of ATC at the northeast airports. None!!! My flight has been pushed back four times. That tells me that they’re unable to adequately plan when the initial delay starts. Ridiculous. I’m sorry.

stlgph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 pm

VS4ever wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I'm the one that does it, however while it does count 1-12 it does not actually show the gate assignments, because E1-E9 (and the others when not assigned above per FGITD) are common use, so there is simply no way of knowing which ones they will get. B6 for their international (non US territory) arrivals use E1-E3 primarily and I definitely have seen FI at E1, along with TP using E3 when i was sat waiting for a B6 flight and saw them pull in. The file shows overall gate usage by flight and timing at peak periods in July as that's the worst that it can get.

Fantastic document. I applaud the work on this. And yes, that's coming from me. :)

VS4ever

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:14 am

stlgph wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

Fantastic document. I applaud the work on this. And yes, that's coming from me. :)

Thank you, all's fair in love and war in the end. I have plenty more BOS info, if you think that's good, check this one out.. i'll give you a hint that's relevant to part of this discussion and others.. OTP at the regional carrier level (new this year)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

amazing what you can find buried in the DOT tables. This is through September, they have October, but i haven't got there yet. Ms. VS is dealing with some treatment and my real life job is a touch busy, so i am a little behind on updating. Enjoy and again, thank you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos