748iDEN
Topic Author

EWR halts arrivals temporarily due to drone sightings

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 pm

I don't think this has been posted but if so then by all means close the thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/nyre ... e=Homepage

Looks like flights have been resumed but if it's anything like the Gatwick situation the drones could be back.

D L X

Re: EWR halts arrivals temporarily due to drone sightings

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:44 am

Congrats on derailing the thread in one.

What’s the status on getting back to capacity and preventing further disruption?

748iDEN
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:54 am

D L X wrote:
Congrats on derailing the thread in one.

What’s the status on getting back to capacity and preventing further disruption?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/drone-halt ... 91?mod=mhp

The Wall Street Journal has a little bit better information and it appears that everything is going to return to normal relatively soon. Although interestingly not much is mentioned as to what they will do in the future.

acjbbj

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 am

This Drone thing is seriously getting out of hand...
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.

EWRamp

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:14 am

I was on UA665 and we were in a holding pattern for about 30 minutes. Captain told us a WN aircraft had a near miss with a drone and the airport was holding all arrivals and departures. Our alternate was Allentown. Eventually they shifted arrivals to RWY 11

PanzerPowner

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:03 am

Homeland Security must have a few 12 gauges lying around, and since this is America... casualties are thrown out of the window!
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

adambrau

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 am

PanzerPowner wrote:
Homeland Security must have a few 12 gauges lying around, and since this is America... casualties are thrown out of the window!

True but also more currently Government Shutdown!!!
Let's keep the skies friendly.

EWRamp

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:02 am

PanzerPowner wrote:

Not sure how accurate a 12 gauge will be from 3500 ft away

Aptivaboy

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:23 am

My cats can bat down flying wand toys with amazing dexterity and regularity. Drones should prove no problem. I hereby volunteer to rent out Merlin the Wondercat to keep our airspace safe, and all it will cost are a few kitty treats and some chin scratches. He's also much more environmentally friendly than a 12 gauge and far more entertaining!

VC10er

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am

Seriously speaking, if a mainline aircraft was to collide with a single drone (assuming its one of the smaller ones I’ve seen people use outdoors) how dangerous would impact be? If it was to get sucked into an engine or smash into a flight deck windshield?
Is there a real likelyhood of causing a narrowbody or wide-body to actually crash? It would seem so tiny to me vs a 777 engine, etc.
Is the true fear that the drone would be weaponized? Or is a toy drone actually dangerous enough on its own?
Obviously, any person who gets a kick out of flying their drone intentionally over a runway should face the very most serious charges possible.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

a350lover

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:21 am

acjbbj wrote:

Hard to believe there isn't any private corporations behind all this trying to trade and develop some sort of anti-drone-detection system to be installed at airports.

WayexTDI

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:29 pm

VC10er wrote:
Seriously speaking, if a mainline aircraft was to collide with a single drone (assuming its one of the smaller ones I’ve seen people use outdoors) how dangerous would impact be? If it was to get sucked into an engine or smash into a flight deck windshield?
Is there a real likelyhood of causing a narrowbody or wide-body to actually crash? It would seem so tiny to me vs a 777 engine, etc.
Is the true fear that the drone would be weaponized? Or is a toy drone actually dangerous enough on its own?
Obviously, any person who gets a kick out of flying their drone intentionally over a runway should face the very most serious charges possible.

Well, we've all seen what birds can do to airplanes; so, it's not hard to imagine what a drone could potentially do.

airbazar

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:33 pm

a350lover wrote:
acjbbj wrote:

Hard to believe there isn't any private corporations behind all this trying to trade and develop some sort of anti-drone-detection system to be installed at airports.

Nah, makes for a good conspiracy theory but the more likely scenario is just stupid people who don't know what they are doing. Just like people who find it amusing to throw rocks from a highway overpass for example. That kind of stupid.

exFWAOONW

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Just another Christmas present that they will be bored with quickly. Problem may solve itself without any intervention/intrusion by government.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

FrenchPotatoEye

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:37 pm

Becoming all too easy now to use drones and induce disruption.

And probably too late to regulate.

VC10er

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Well, we've all seen what birds can do to airplanes; so, it's not hard to imagine what a drone could potentially do.

Yes, many birds. I could be wrong but didn’t Capt Scully hit a flock? At least one or more in each engine? I was thinking 1 small drone.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

WayexTDI

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm

VC10er wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Yes, many birds. I could be wrong but didn’t Capt Scully hit a flock? At least one or more in each engine? I was thinking 1 small drone.

1 bird usually does not bring an airplane down; several birds can (e.g. US1549).
Similarly, 1 drone will most likely not bring an airplane down and will only do physical damage; but what about several drones? It'd be easy for "weird-minded" people to organize a flock of drones and fly them into the path of a plane taking off or landing.

JohnJ

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 am

airbazar wrote:
a350lover wrote:
acjbbj wrote:

Nah, makes for a good conspiracy theory but the more likely scenario is just stupid people who don't know what they are doing. Just like people who find it amusing to throw rocks from a highway overpass for example. That kind of stupid.

Can't speak for the conspiracy theory, but for someone to have a drone up to 3500' near an airport would have to be a deliberate and planned act. I can speak for the most popular consumer-grade drones, those made by DJI (Phantom, Mavic, etc.). These drones have built-in safeguards to make irresponsible flying very difficult. They're software-limited to 1500' altitude, and are geofenced to the hilt to prevent operations in no fly zones like airports and places like prisons, power plants, etc. There is apparently a firmware hack available to circumvent these restrictions, but someone doing this isn't a "stupid person who doesn't know what they are doing." If this was actually a drone, it would have to be a deliberate act. Same thing with the Gatwick and Heathrow drone sightings - you would not even be able to start the motors on the drone close to an airport. Other brands besides DJI have similar restrictions.

EDIT: One other consideration is battery life. For any of these consumer drones to get up to 3500' feet (and remember they'd need a firmware hack to do so), their battery life is such that they'd be able to climb to that altitude and then immediately come straight back down. There would not be enough battery to allow any kind of extended flying around. This is pretty much an absolute; I don't know of anyone who's devised a way to make these drones fly longer than about 28 minutes. Now, professional-grade drones costing tens of thousands of dollars are a different story, but that takes us out of the "stupid hobby pilot" realm.

coneofsilence

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:17 pm

In reply to VC10er's query regarding whether a drone is dangerous by itself, one has to consider the LiPO battery.
A Youtube video shows 4 foot high flames from one half the size of a laptop battery being stabbed with a screwdriver

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos