Blerg
Topic Author

Air Serbia Announces Major Expansion

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am

For the first time since 2014, Air Serbia (JU) in announcing a round of new year-round and seasonal flights. The airline has so far only presented cities it plans on serving from June, frequencies and schedule will be published later on.

Year-round destinations from BEG;

- Kiev
- Madrid
- Barcelona
- Rijeka
- Krasnodar
- Helsinki
- Cairo

Seasonal flights:

- Nice
- Zadar

There are rumours JU might be adding aircraft in the coming months so let's see what happens. Air Serbia will also increase the number of flights to Paris (13 weekly last year), Zurich (17 weekly) and Dubrovnik (6 weekly).

I am sure flights such as Helsinki, Madrid, Barcelona, Nice... will be scheduled so as to offer swift connections to places such as Sarajevo, Dubrovnik, Split, Skopje, Bucharest, Sofia, Larnaca, Beirut,,Athens, Thessaloniki, Tel Aviv...

Air Serbia's hub, BEG, will see a lot more action this summer with three new airlines launching or resuming flights (Air Arabia, Air France and ASL Airlines) while the number of new weekly frequencies stands close to 40.

Source:
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2019/01/ai ... outes.html

SCQ83

Re: Air Serbia Announces Major Expansion

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Blerg wrote:
For the first time since 2014, Air Serbia (JU) in announcing a round of new year-round and seasonal flights. The airline has so far only presented cities it plans on serving from June, frequencies and schedule will be published later on.

Finally. Belgrade was a big gap from MAD.

I find funny reading the comments in the blog.

IMO Madrid would work overall better and specially in low-season. Madrid is a much bigger market so there would be potential connections MAD-BEG-XXX (many cities in the area with no flights to MAD - e.g. SKP, SKG, etc. -) and BEG-MAD-LatAm on Air Europa.

I am more skeptical about BCN, with no connectivity on the BCN side, and competition with Vueling in high-season.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Finally. Belgrade was a big gap from MAD.

I find funny reading the comments in the blog.

IMO Madrid would work overall better and specially in low-season. Madrid is a much bigger market so there would be potential connections MAD-BEG-XXX (many cities in the area with no flights to MAD - e.g. SKP, SKG, etc. -) and BEG-MAD-LatAm on Air Europa.

I am more skeptical about BCN, with no connectivity on the BCN side, and competition with Vueling in high-season.

Vueling shouldn't be a problem for JU as they have a disastrous on time performance in BEG. Not only are they always late but their departures from BEG are at 22.20, 01.30 and 02.20. This is Air Serbia's schedule:

-----6- // 06.45-09.25 / 10.10-12.40
-2----- // 17.00-19.40 / 20.25-22.55

Issue with MAD is that the flight is too long, similar to LHR, so it doesn't really fit into the schedule. I guess they will rely on O&D and transfers on Air Europe which isn't a bad thing as they can cover all of Spain, Portugal and the Americas.

BEG-MAD

------7 // 06.00-09.15 / 10.00-12.55
--3---- // 17.00-20.15 / 21.00-23.55

These are JU's arrivals in summer:

05.25 SKG
05.35 SKP
05.35 KRR
05.40 ATH
05.45 LCA
05.45 AUH
05.50 BEY
05.55 CAI

Breathe

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:11 pm

Interesting to see what/if they plan on doing regarding renewing their fleet after their partner EY cancelled the A320neo deal.

Pudelhund

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm

How is their New York flight doing?

JoKeR

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Nice additions to the stale JU network. I find HEL as the oddball here as I believe the P2P market between the two is negligible so must be a transit-focused route.

Very happy to finally see Spain added, and very pleasantly surprised by the seasonal NCE rotation.

Most of all, glad they delayed venturing into new long-haul markets for the time being.

Now regarding BEG, with Hainan leaving but Chinese arrivals growing drastically y-o-y and other Asian and Middle Eastern routes galloping ahead, hoping to see an upgraded QR service from the abysmal and old A320s to a 788 and most of all... getting EK to launch at least seasonal summer services as they did to ZAG.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Pudelhund wrote:

It's improving, there was an article some time ago that they carry a lot of cargo from the Balkans to Latin America via JFK. I don't know how it continues from New York south of the Rio Grande though.

As for their finances, it's improving. I was told that in 2017 the route was profitable in July and August. Last year it was in the black during June, July, August and September. Hopefully they manage to add a 17.00 departure so as to offer more connections from the Balkan region.

JoKeR

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Pudelhund wrote:

Loads above industry average, yields with significant peaks.... profitable 3-4 months of the year.

FA9295

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Blerg wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

It's improving, there was an article some time ago that they carry a lot of cargo from the Balkans to Latin America via JFK. I don't know how it continues from New York south of the Rio Grande though.

As for their finances, it's improving. I was told that in 2017 the route was profitable in July and August. Last year it was in the black during June, July, August and September. Hopefully they manage to add a 17.00 departure so as to offer more connections from the Balkan region.

Aren't they leasing an Ethiad A330 right now for this route? Or is that a different airline route?

dcajet

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:19 pm

When was Etihad planning to leave day to day management of Air Serbia? End of 2018?
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:27 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Aren't they leasing an Ethiad A330 right now for this route? Or is that a different airline route?

Yes, the Etihad one is currently operating the route. JU's A332 originally came from Jet though.

dcajet wrote:
When was Etihad planning to leave day to day management of Air Serbia? End of 2018?

I think their involvement stopped on 01.01.2019. I hope they never come back, from the stories I heard they were horribly incompetent.

SCQ83

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:28 pm

Blerg wrote:
Issue with MAD is that the flight is too long, similar to LHR, so it doesn't really fit into the schedule. I guess they will rely on O&D and transfers on Air Europe which isn't a bad thing as they can cover all of Spain, Portugal and the Americas.

BEG-MAD

05.25 SKG
05.35 SKP
05.35 KRR
05.40 ATH
05.45 LCA
05.45 AUH
05.50 BEY
05.55 CAI

Umm those schedules to Madrid are dreadful. Who wants to fly out of Belgrade on a Sunday morning at 6 AM? It is a pity they don't connect well to ex-Yu + SKG + LCA/BEY/TLV/CAI. Ex-Yu from Madrid is a black hole. Other than Croatia that is slowly improving... there is nothing else. No Slovenia, Bosnia, Montenegro or Macedonia (or Albania or Northern Greece for that matter).

I disagree again with the comments in the blog :). MAD-SOF is already served by Bulgaria Air (which codeshares with IB; that is why they are in T4), Ryanair and Wizz Air. It is very VFR, city-break route with low-fares. Air Serbia connecting would make it only longer and more expensive.

willenglish

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Wow still no announcement for YYZ BEG? I thought for sure this route would be announced in a “major expansion”.
Last edited by willenglish on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:57 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

BEG-MAD

05.25 SKG
05.35 SKP
05.35 KRR
05.40 ATH
05.45 LCA
05.45 AUH
05.50 BEY
05.55 CAI

Umm those schedules to Madrid are dreadful. Who wants to fly out of Belgrade on a Sunday morning at 6 AM? It is a pity they don't connect well to ex-Yu + SKG + LCA/BEY/TLV/CAI. Ex-Yu from Madrid is a black hole. Other than Croatia that is slowly improving... there is nothing else. No Slovenia, Bosnia, Montenegro or Macedonia (or Albania or Northern Greece for that matter).

I disagree again with the comments in the blog :). MAD-SOF is already served by Bulgaria Air (which codeshares with IB; that is why they are in T4), Ryanair and Wizz Air. It is very VFR, city-break route with low-fares. Air Serbia connecting would make it only longer and more expensive.

I think Madrid will be there for onward connections for local, Serbian travellers. Mind you, the return flight misses almost all connecting flights to the region. One way they could fix it is by making an exception of the route by reducing connecting times to 25 minutes. Given the size of BEG that can be doable.

As for the comments on the blog... today it's civil, it can get quite wild. :D Maybe the JU-hating brigade is still recovering from the shock.

SCQ83

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Blerg wrote:
As for the comments on the blog... today it's civil, it can get quite wild. :D Maybe the JU-hating brigade is still recovering from the shock.

The Croatian crowd is in retaliation. No "Bravo Hrvatska!" for a few days.

Milka

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Thats surprising considering Etihad seems to be pulling out of the partnership, it looks like most routes are holiday destinations. It's going to be tough and I wish them luck. Plenty of growth opportunities.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The Croatian crowd is in retaliation. No "Bravo Hrvatska!" for a few days.

I think they are starting to recover, someone already managed to call JU a mess because they cancelled one flight to HAM in March. :D

asuflyer

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 pm

YU-ARA has returned with a special livery promoting Serbia Creates. Additionally EY has offered JU another A330 lease, but it is believed they are not interested. JU will be adding another A320 shortly.

klm617

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Would be great to see them back in Detroit. For about 5 years JAT served DTW in the 1980's flying from DTW to BEG, LJU and ZAG
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

What an ugly special livery especially when the original one is just gorgeous. As for Etihad, no wonder JU is not interested, engines do not match from what I remember.

In other news, JU will be increasing its already existing network from April in stead of June as was the case the previous years. Athens from 7 to 10, Bucharest from 6 to 8, Tirana from 7 to 9, Ljubljana from 11 to 12, Beirut from 3 to 4, Larnaca from 1 to 3...

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:36 pm

klm617 wrote:
Would be great to see them back in Detroit. For about 5 years JAT served DTW in the 1980's flying from DTW to BEG, LJU and ZAG

I think Chicago or Toronto would come first, especially since ORD is the second busiest market in North America from BEG, right after JFK. From what I remember the list goes like this: JFK, ORD, YYZ, LAX, MIA.

whywhyzee

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Blerg wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I think Chicago or Toronto would come first, especially since ORD is the second busiest market in North America from BEG, right after JFK. From what I remember the list goes like this: JFK, ORD, YYZ, LAX, MIA.

JFK, YYZ, LAX, MIA, ORD IIRC.

The first three I know for sure, the last two are from memory.

klm617

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:57 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
Blerg wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I am sure they would too. But at at one time JAT served CLE,DTW,JFK,ORD,YYZ and YMX
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

nomorerjs

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:13 am

klm617 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I am sure they would too. But at at one time JAT served CLE,DTW,JFK,ORD,YYZ and YMX

The good old days in the 80s!

ORD-JFK-BEG and ORD-CLE-LJU before ORD and JFK were it, then sanctions stoped the US and eventually Canada. I don’t recall the original DTW schedule, but good memories.

klm617

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:43 am

nomorerjs wrote:
klm617 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

ORD-JFK-BEG and ORD-CLE-LJU before ORD and JFK were it, then sanctions stoped the US and eventually Canada. I don’t recall the original DTW schedule, but good memories.

flight numbers were 526, 527, 528 and 529. BEG-ZAG-DTW-CLE-LJU-BEG AND BEG-LJU-CLE-DTW-ZAG-BEG. Detroit was summer only and CLE was year round in one direction only the reverse was over ORD so something like BEG-LJU-CLE-ORD. Because of the need for extra lift JU used a leased RJ L1011-500 towards the end in the summer out of Detroit.

nomorerjs

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:04 pm

klm617 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
klm617 wrote:

flight numbers were 526, 527, 528 and 529. BEG-ZAG-DTW-CLE-LJU-BEG AND BEG-LJU-CLE-DTW-ZAG-BEG. Detroit was summer only and CLE was year round in one direction only the reverse was over ORD so something like BEG-LJU-CLE-ORD. Because of the need for extra lift JU used a leased RJ L1011-500 towards the end in the summer out of Detroit.

Thanks. I forgot DTW was seasonal.

ORD has nonstops before the sanctions, but I can’t remember the exact flights.

debonair

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Blerg wrote:
For the first time since 2014, Air Serbia (JU) in announcing a round of new year-round and seasonal flights.

It looks like growth - but on the other hand JU will discontinue service to other destinations, like Hamburg, in favour for these new routes.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:35 am

debonair wrote:
Blerg wrote:
For the first time since 2014, Air Serbia (JU) in announcing a round of new year-round and seasonal flights.

It looks like growth - but on the other hand JU will discontinue service to other destinations, like Hamburg, in favour for these new routes.

HAM isn't discontinued, it was turned into a summer seasonal destination. They also operate it around Christmas time.

Flights resume in June as two weekly then from July they are increased to three, departures at 06.45 and 18.00.

debonair

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:16 am

Blerg wrote:
HAM isn't discontinued, it was turned into a summer seasonal destination. They also operate it around Christmas time.

Flights resume in June as two weekly then from July they are increased to three, departures at 06.45 and 18.00.

Tried to book these flights - all flights in June are now "SOLD OUT", impossible to buy a ticket. You can still buy tickets from July so far, but very doubtful that JU will re-start flights; as JU is promoting in their latest newsletter departure from FRA/STR/TXL/DUS but no more from HAM! :cry2:

Heard rumours that HAM is not the only station this happens to - seems JU is shifting the capacity to other airports.

UkiAir

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:42 pm

The flights are in GDS and showing the start date of June 20th. Every Thursday afternoon 394/395 and Saturday morning 390/391.
The Monday afternoon flights 394/395 start on July 1st with 319.
They are most likely still working on the final schedule for the busy summer ahead of them.

Putnik

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Will they be reshuffling the flight numbers any time soon? Some oddities occurred lately. JU500 used for JFK should have been morning flight to Larnaca, JU240 to Zadar should have been JU242 as it is in the mid-day departure from Belgrade. Malta is also JU690, out of any order.

Perhaps my OCD works overtime on these non-essentials...
"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:11 pm

debonair wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Tried to book these flights - all flights in June are now "SOLD OUT", impossible to buy a ticket. You can still buy tickets from July so far, but very doubtful that JU will re-start flights; as JU is promoting in their latest newsletter departure from FRA/STR/TXL/DUS but no more from HAM! :cry2:

Heard rumours that HAM is not the only station this happens to - seems JU is shifting the capacity to other airports.

I guess they don't promote HAM that much as it's the only German destination to be operated on a summer seasonal basis. JU did quite well in Germany even after AB went bankrupt, they had a great partnership, especially for flights to the US.

From what I know, Germany performs well for JU. There is a lot of O&D and when you add transfer passengers their numbers end up being quite good. JU's presence in Germany has been far more stable than Wizz Air's. I think they already discontinued two or three destinations.

SeanM1997

Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:10 am

Etihad Airways to lease a former Jet Airways slot (operated DEL-LHR route) to Air Serbia from 28 April 2019. Flights are currently not on sale. This should increase Air Serbia's Belgrade (BEG) to London Heathrow (LHR) flights from 9 to 16 weekly:

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 9076956160

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:25 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
Etihad Airways to lease a former Jet Airways slot (operated DEL-LHR route) to Air Serbia from 28 April 2019. Flights are currently not on sale. This should increase Air Serbia's Belgrade (BEG) to London Heathrow (LHR) flights from 9 to 16 weekly:

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 9076956160

This route will be operated by Etihad's A320 as well as by their crew. Lots of seats are being added to London, Wizz Air recently moved their BEG-LTN flights to Wizz UK and some flights are moved to the A321.

SeanM1997

Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 am

Air Serbia have put on sale their additional London Heathrow flights from Belgrade. BEG-LHR will go 2x daily weekdays and 3x daily weekends from 19 May 2019:

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 1854042114

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 9:44 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Air Serbia have put on sale their additional London Heathrow flights from Belgrade. BEG-LHR will go 2x daily weekdays and 3x daily weekends from 19 May 2019:

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 1854042114

Belgrade-London goes to 23 weekly flights, 19 on JU and 4 on W6. Demand is there, I am surprised someone else has not entered the market since both JU and W6 have more or less stagnated for a while.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos