Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tys777
Topic Author

AA announces DLH-ORD

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Twice Daily starting May 23rd. Wonder what this will do to UA DLH-ORD service?

https://kbjr6.com/news/top-stories/2019 ... r-service/

trav777

Re: AA announces DLH-ORD

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 pm

tys777 wrote:

what equipment? any idea?

tys777
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Found it, 50 seat ERJ's. Goes on sale this weekend, flights not loaded yet.

jetskipper

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:42 pm

tys777 wrote:

Probably not much. UA flies an A-319/320 on the route every night for maintenance in DLH. If anything UA will be able to undercut their prices due to the excess capacity on the Airbus.

YouGeeElWhy

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 pm

That is aggressive by AA

RJNUT

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:11 pm

its been DL's market to lose for years , really.

tys777
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:17 pm

RJNUT wrote:

And they have been. It's remarkable how much Delta has downgraded this station. Used to be 2x mainline with a mix of larger CRJs. Now it's all CRJ with 1x CR7. Even used to have a daily flight to DTW.

They really left the market open for someone else to step in.

MSPNWA

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Logical add for AA. Good news for DLH. Was a route UA had all to itself. Should noticeably reduce prices and stimulate demand.

tys777 wrote:
And they have been. It's remarkable how much Delta has downgraded this station. Used to be 2x mainline with a mix of larger CRJs. Now it's all CRJ with 1x CR7. Even used to have a daily flight to DTW.

Agree totally. DL has let DLH slip into the arms of UA and now AA. It's surprising how small it is now for them.

OzarkD9S

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 pm

I may be mistaken but didn't AA operate this at some point in the past? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

DFWandOMA

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:08 pm

I believe they did in the early 2000s. Hope the flight times are good.

Planeboy17

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
I may be mistaken but didn't AA operate this at some point in the past? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your right OzarkD9S.
They flew for a while late 90s into the 2000s. Don’t think it lasted much past 5 years? Maybe 7, but I really don’t know more than they did in fact fly it around that time.

fun2fly

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:11 pm

AA in DLH...perhaps maintenance too like UA? I remember AA used to do MQT>GRB>ORD for maintenance purposes. With UA and DL (MSP< DTW) on DLH, it would be hard to imagine more lift needed. Not to mention, DLH is not too fun in the winter and the drive to MSP is a regular occurrence if you really want to get home.

evank516

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Any possibility DL might start adding more flights with the increase in service? They really butchered it after the NW Merger. RST too if you ask me.

tys777
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:15 pm

fun2fly wrote:
AA in DLH...perhaps maintenance too like UA? I remember AA used to do MQT>GRB>ORD for maintenance purposes. With UA and DL (MSP< DTW) on DLH, it would be hard to imagine more lift needed. Not to mention, DLH is not too fun in the winter and the drive to MSP is a regular occurrence if you really want to get home.

Nah, this is going to be RJs. AAR only does A320 series work in DLH and doesn't have spare capacity as far as I know currently.

While the drive to MSP on I35 isn't bad, during the winter it can be really nasty. I more question the corporate demand out of DLH to fill these flights. It's a tourism and regional healthcare driven economy.

tys777
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:17 pm

evank516 wrote:
Any possibility DL might start adding more flights with the increase in service? They really butchered it after the NW Merger. RST too if you ask me.

I'd take the return of DTW, but outside of that, I doubt there will be much changes from DL, they seem content to downgrade the market.

Bobloblaw

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

More than once and it isnt like DLH is a growing market.

Dominion301

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 pm

tys777 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

A far cry from NW’s protect the heartland days.

klm617

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 pm

tys777 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Delta has shown for years it doesn't care about these former NW upper Midwest stations. DLH, RST, BMI, CAK, PIA, FNT, LAN if these markets were in close proximity to ATL they would have 6 or 7 daily flights but since they are former NW stations they are not relevant to the Delta network and they said as much in their press release when thye dropped DTW to CAK and PIA
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

stlgph

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
tys777 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

A far cry from NW’s protect the heartland days.

Exactly. If Northwest was still around, one could sit around and theorize the services some airports *WOULDN"T* be seeing today except Northwest tails and a minimal existence from other carriers. Sioux Falls, Fargo, and now Duluth come to mind. Probably Des Moines, too.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

910A

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:04 am

fun2fly wrote:
AA in DLH...perhaps maintenance too like UA? I remember AA used to do MQT>GRB>ORD for maintenance purposes.

Now it's MQT-ORD for maintenance..

September11

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:32 am

I think Republic Airlines was the only airline at DLH years ago. Convair, DC-9, & MD-80 flights to MSP.
Airliners.net of the Future

SurfandSnow

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:40 am

Interesting to see AA resume this route. The battle between UA and AA at ORD continues!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Stabilator

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:05 am

Maybe they are banking on a few copper/nickel or iron mines opening back up and increasing demand that way.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

klm617

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:47 am

September11 wrote:
I think Republic Airlines was the only airline at DLH years ago. Convair, DC-9, & MD-80 flights to MSP.

Didn't AA use their F100 on DLH-ORD the first time ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Q

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:52 am

I don't think AA using F100. I remember seeing my OAG pocket book all those are 727-200 to DLH flights.

Q

klm617

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:48 am

Q wrote:
I don't think AA using F100. I remember seeing my OAG pocket book all those are 727-200 to DLH flights.

Q

Looked it up on departedflights.com it was actually an Embraer operated 3 times dail

evank516

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:16 pm

klm617 wrote:
tys777 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Delta has shown for years it doesn't care about these former NW upper Midwest stations. DLH, RST, BMI, CAK, PIA, FNT, LAN if these markets were in close proximity to ATL they would have 6 or 7 daily flights but since they are former NW stations they are not relevant to the Delta network and they said as much in their press release when thye dropped DTW to CAK and PIA

RST is less than 100 miles from MSP though, but you would think they could manage DTW-RST, but MSP-RST is just so short that it doesn't even seem worth the plane. DTW-FNT is so short that it doesn't warrant a flight in my opinion. DTW-LAN as well. CAK is in CLE's shadow and I think their heydey is over which is why you saw DL drop flights there. PIA still has ATL and MSP so I guess DTW isn't needed anymore with the current route structure, but then if you go over to MLI you have flights to ATL, DTW, and MSP , so it's not like DL is abandoning everyone.

Hopefully AA does well, but I wonder if this has anything to do with UA starting ORD-RST? Maybe a competitive response?

WA707atMSP

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Although DLH is just 144 miles from MSP, it's a miserable drive even in good weather because MSP is on the south side of the Twin Cities metro area, so drivers have to deal with a lengthy stretch of stop and go driving to get to the airport.

Because RST is on the same side of the Twin Cities as MSP is, the drive is much less unpleasant, and it will get better once there is a freeway all the way from Rochester to the Twin Cities in a few years.

It's a similar situation to the relationship between DTW and FNT / LAN / TOL: because DTW is on the south side of the Detroit area, it's an easy drive from DTW to Toledo, but a horrible drive from DTW to Lansing or Flint.

klm617

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:28 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Although DLH is just 144 miles from MSP, it's a miserable drive even in good weather because MSP is on the south side of the Twin Cities metro area, so drivers have to deal with a lengthy stretch of stop and go driving to get to the airport.

Because RST is on the same side of the Twin Cities as MSP is, the drive is much less unpleasant, and it will get better once there is a freeway all the way from Rochester to the Twin Cities in a few years.

It's a similar situation to the relationship between DTW and FNT / LAN / TOL: because DTW is on the south side of the Detroit area, it's an easy drive from DTW to Toledo, but a horrible drive from DTW to Lansing or Flint.

Agreed about TOL but LAN and FNT are not that bad both airports you can get to from DTW without driving through Detroit . When the airlink flights were canceled Northwest just bus the passengers to FNT and it was a one hour drive.

tys777
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:

Disagree. I make that drive almost once or twice a month and never have encountered stop and go traffic on I-35. Sure, it can be busy on 35E during rush hour, but outside of that, the drive is easy to make. (To be fair, I avoid rush hour like the plague) Just sucks in winter. To be fair, I have encountered plenty of stop and go on 35W and the assorted roadways in the Eden Prairie area when I'm there for work, but when traveling to the airport, I stay on the east side and the drive is just fine. That and plenty of shuttle service between DLH and MSP where I don't have to worry about traffic makes it easy to catch a flight. DLH has a ton of leakage to MSP, but thankfully UA has been helping to drive fares down in the market, and AA should only further help that. It'll be interesting if people will start to even think of flying out of DLH. There is a lot of conditioning in the local population that you are paying $300 more per person to fly out of DLH, which isn't usually the case unless you are comparing to NK prices.

maps4ltd

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:11 pm

Well, small Midwest stations are one area AA matches UA in at ORD. Look, they've recently announced Erie, so this fits in with that portfolio.
Delta Gold Medallion

klm617

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:17 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Well, small Midwest stations are one area AA matches UA in at ORD. Look, they've recently announced Erie, so this fits in with that portfolio.

And Delta is more than happy to let these stations go as it continues to reduce one's options in the upper Midwest region.

evank516

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:33 pm

klm617 wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

And Delta is more than happy to let these stations go as it continues to reduce one's options in the upper Midwest region.

Unless you consider FAR, BIS, FSD, LSE, and CWA other regions of the country, I wouldn't say they're truly geared towards reducing options in the upper Midwest considering FAR, BIS, and FSD each see at least one mainline flight per day from MSP, LSE is getting DTW soon, and CWA holds down flights to MSP and DTW as it is.

If you're unhappy with Delta's destination choices in certain areas, you're more than welcome to fly AA or UA instead. You can also choose not to go to these areas.

MSPNWA

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:04 pm

evank516 wrote:
Unless you consider FAR, BIS, FSD, LSE, and CWA other regions of the country, I wouldn't say they're truly geared towards reducing options in the upper Midwest considering FAR, BIS, and FSD each see at least one mainline flight per day from MSP, LSE is getting DTW soon, and CWA holds down flights to MSP and DTW as it is.

If you're unhappy with Delta's destination choices in certain areas, you're more than welcome to fly AA or UA instead. You can also choose not to go to these areas.

The first four airports you list all had as much or more mainline in 2008 than they do today (and the 5th doesn't qualify). As a whole the Upper Midwest has been significantly reduced to MSP and DTW since the merger. Most stations have seen cuts. And some stations are gone completely. Some of that capacity has shifted to ATL, but not all.

I for one am glad to see UA and AA pick up some of the slack, but it's not like it used to be.

HPRamper

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:54 pm

evank516 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
tys777 wrote:

RST is less than 100 miles from MSP though, but you would think they could manage DTW-RST, but MSP-RST is just so short that it doesn't even seem worth the plane. DTW-FNT is so short that it doesn't warrant a flight in my opinion. DTW-LAN as well. CAK is in CLE's shadow and I think their heydey is over which is why you saw DL drop flights there. PIA still has ATL and MSP so I guess DTW isn't needed anymore with the current route structure, but then if you go over to MLI you have flights to ATL, DTW, and MSP , so it's not like DL is abandoning everyone.

Hopefully AA does well, but I wonder if this has anything to do with UA starting ORD-RST? Maybe a competitive response?

RST brings in a lot of traffic from around the country and even internationally because of Mayo Clinic. Without Mayo, the airport there is a ghost town (Mankato is a good comparison at roughly the same size and distance from MSP). FedEx even brings in a daily 757 when they have a full size large-ish ramp right up the road at MSP. It's loaded almost completely with medical items for Mayo, lots of dry ice packed stuff, radioactives, etc.

Dfthu

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:02 pm

I just wish someone would resume air service to Mankato. It could probably do a once daily CRJ2 from MSP. Delta already flies to small cities in northern Minnesota so I don't know why they wouldn't fly to Mankato. DLH isnt that much bigger and it gets more flights.

HPRamper

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Dfthu wrote:
I just wish someone would resume air service to Mankato. It could probably do a once daily CRJ2 from MSP. Delta already flies to small cities in northern Minnesota so I don't know why they wouldn't fly to Mankato. DLH isnt that much bigger and it gets more flights.

DLH is further away and is driven by tourism, industry and education, and there's nothing else until you hit Thunder Bay so it has a very large area to draw from. Mankato really only has the school and is barely an hour from the suburbs of the cities so everyone just drives and it's not even a crappy drive. Even St. Cloud is more likely to get service than Mankato, I think. Those northern Minnesota towns are quite remote and a long drive from anywhere so the air link is very important for communication.

tys777
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Flights loaded

AA 3968 DLH-ORD departs 12:00pm arrives 1:50pm
AA 4136 DLH-ORD departs 5:53pm arrives 7:40pm
AA 3968 ORD-DLH departs 9:50am arrives 11:31am
AA 4136 ORD-DLH departs 3:48pm arrives 5:28pm

ERJ-145 on all segments

Chuska

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Maybe the third time will be a charm. AA has tried ORD-DLH at least twice before.

CIDFlyer

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm

Nice add for DLH hopefully sticks around. It is crazy how DL reduced this market from NW heydays, used to be a lot of airbus flown in there and about 8 daily flights but it has dwindled down.

Gulfstream500

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:05 pm

What if UA decided to move some service to DEN?
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?

tys777
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:32 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
What if UA decided to move some service to DEN?

Airport has said the main goal right now is securing service to DEN. So, I'm sure it's being discussed to an extent.

Planeboy17

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:35 pm

HPRamper wrote:
Dfthu wrote:

DLH is further away and is driven by tourism, industry and education, and there's nothing else until you hit Thunder Bay so it has a very large area to draw from. Mankato really only has the school and is barely an hour from the suburbs of the cities so everyone just drives and it's not even a crappy drive. Even St. Cloud is more likely to get service than Mankato, I think. Those northern Minnesota towns are quite remote and a long drive from anywhere so the air link is very important for communication.

Another reason is MKT airport. There is a lot of infrastructure that would be needed.
1. Become a FAA part 139 airport. (It may already be but usually airports without scheduled service are not)
2. Have ticket counter and luggage room.
3. Security details and of course TSA or approved security service.
4. Contractual agreements with fuel and baggage services along with other GSE such as tugs and carts. These are usually not a big problem because 1 or more FBOs can provide all of these.
DLH has had service for over 50 years now. When was the last time MKT had any scheduled service? Probably 25 years or more? It’s a big investment for an airline.

STC had service some years back 3-5 years ago?
UA to ORD on CRJ2 .
I believe there were subsidies involved and UA dropped it right after or soon after they dried up.

tys777
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
Dfthu wrote:

Another reason is MKT airport. There is a lot of infrastructure that would be needed.
1. Become a FAA part 139 airport. (It may already be but usually airports without scheduled service are not)
2. Have ticket counter and luggage room.
3. Security details and of course TSA or approved security service.
4. Contractual agreements with fuel and baggage services along with other GSE such as tugs and carts. These are usually not a big problem because 1 or more FBOs can provide all of these.
DLH has had service for over 50 years now. When was the last time MKT had any scheduled service? Probably 25 years or more? It’s a big investment for an airline.

STC had service some years back 3-5 years ago?
UA to ORD on CRJ2 .
I believe there were subsidies involved and UA dropped it right after or soon after they dried up.

For the record, STC still has service on G4 and handles occasional SY casino charters. UA service wasnt supported by the locals, everyone still drove to MSP to catch a cheaper non stop. Might have worked a bit better the last year or two when I94 was all torn up.

rainaviation

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:16 am

Dfthu wrote:

Mankato does not have the same tourism that DLH does, and Mankato is not that bad of a drive to reach MSP. Same reason that DL/NW stopped service to STC. It is cheaper and makes more sense to just drive an hour or so to MSP.

DFWandOMA

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:24 pm

Any word on how these flights have been performing? Service started about 5 weeks ago.

tys777
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:
Any word on how these flights have been performing? Service started about 5 weeks ago.

I've heard that they are going out fairly full, but that doesn't give yields.

Ishrion

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:36 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:

Looking at the aa.com seatmap(not highly accurate), 6 seats are open tomorrow, 16 on Saturday, 15 Sunday on ORD-DLH

9 seats tomorrow, 17 Saturday, 7 Sunday on DLH-ORD.

A lot of flights seem to be wide open right now. I’m assuming it’s July 4th.

On Monday it goes to 2x daily, with 10 seats left on the first flight and 6 on the second for DLH-ORD.

FlyingElvii

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:10 am

tys777 wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

Nah, this is going to be RJs. AAR only does A320 series work in DLH and doesn't have spare capacity as far as I know currently.

While the drive to MSP on I35 isn't bad, during the winter it can be really nasty. I more question the corporate demand out of DLH to fill these flights. It's a tourism and regional healthcare driven economy.

But it is an easy deadhead to maint in MQT.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos