l87e
Topic Author

US-Venezuela Flight Status?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Per AP:
Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro is giving American diplomats 72 hours to abandon the country after breaking diplomatic relations with the U.S. over its decision to recognize an opposition leader as interim president.

Does this mean AA will stop flying MIA-CCS soon?

drdisque

Re: US-Venezuela Flight Status?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 pm

Technically yes, the FAA should not permit US airlines to operate to countries with which it has no diplomatic relations. I expect that AA will suspend flights and that the FAA will deny Venezuelan airlines the right to fly to the US - although this may be delayed due to the shutdown and in order to not strand people in either nation.

l87e
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 pm

drdisque wrote:
Technically yes, the FAA should not permit US airlines to operate to countries with which it has no diplomatic relations. I expect that AA will suspend flights and that the FAA will deny Venezuelan airlines the right to fly to the US - although this may be delayed due to the shutdown and in order to not strand people in either nation.

Thanks; interestingly, couldn't find an alert or status on aa.com. Maybe it's still early.

Will be interesting to see if overflights are affected, I think.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm actually booked to fly on Friday CCS MIA with AA. Worried sick.

However, the acting president, Juan Guaido, sent out a letter to all the embassies in Venezuela asking them not to leave.

If the Trump administration officially recognizes Guaido as the official President of Venezuela, then Maduro's threats are meaningless.

Together with Trump, Canada, Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, and many others have backed up the new President.

Let's see how this plays out.
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

WWads

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:14 pm

797 wrote:

However, the acting president, Juan Guaido, sent out a letter to all the embassies in Venezuela asking them not to leave.

If the Trump administration officially recognizes Guaido as the official President of Venezuela, then Maduro's threats are meaningless.

Together with Trump, Canada, Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, and many others have backed up the new President.

Honestly I'd buy a walkup on the next flight going anywhere. Get the F out now.

MalevTU134

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 pm

WWads wrote:
797 wrote:

You think that next flight out has empty seats??? Flights out of Venezuela have gone out fully booked for years, nothing to do with the current situation. FYI, I'm going to Venezuela tomorrow. Business as usual.

MalevTU134

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 pm

797 wrote:

Exactlyyyyy. It is not the president of Venezuela who ordered them out, but simply a regular citizen, and criminal at that. They should take no notice and stay put. Any other course of action would be irrational and inconsequential.

As for flights to the US, if these stop, it will be due to decisions by Maduro (after all, he still controls the majority of the armed forces, so I doubt AA would take any risks). As for Avior, Estelar and Laser (the 3 Venezuelan airlines currently operating to the US) they would of course abide by any decision Maduro takes right off the bat. Estelar wetleases their US capacity, so they could cancel flights before the other 2.

spinkid

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:54 pm

I was just reading the news about Venezuela and came here to post that question. Anyone on the ground in CCS to give us an update?

dcajet

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 am

Not in CCS but an unknown plane from Russia has recently landed in CCS. Your guess about what its mission is all about is a good as mine.

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/10 ... 3295361025
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

MalevTU134

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:17 am

spinkid wrote:
I was just reading the news about Venezuela and came here to post that question. Anyone on the ground in CCS to give us an update?

While not on tbe ground (going there tomorrow, though), I have ample contact with people all over Venezuela. Protests and marches all over the country, several people are reported dead, but airports seem to remain open. Tomorrow will be a "normal" day, I'm afraid.

MalevTU134

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:21 am

dcajet wrote:
Not in CCS but an unknown plane from Russia has recently landed in CCS. Your guess about what its mission is all about is a good as mine.

IF it is Maduro getting away (which I very much doubt), then they will for sure not fly that same routing over Europe on the return...

dcajet

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

IF it is Maduro getting away (which I very much doubt), then they will for sure not fly that same routing over Europe on the return...

Why bother with Moscow when HAV is just around the corner? To add to the mystery, I read the Gulfstream has a Turkish registration. The plot thickens..

MalevTU134

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:30 am

dcajet wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Why bother with Moscow when HAV is just around the corner? To add to the mystery, I read the Gulfstream has a Turkish registration. The plot thickens..

But if it's HAV-bound, why would it be sent from Russia? On that Twitter thread, one comment is that it is to evacuate Turkish diplomats. Sounds reasonable...

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:12 am

drdisque wrote:

In principle, I agree, however, there are a couple of notable exceptions:

1) When U.S. diplomatic relations with China were switched from Taiwan to the People's Republic, commercial flights between Taiwan and the United States continued. The relationship between the two sides is complicated, but in this "family dispute", as it was described to me by my college professor on Chinese History, this is no reason to disrupt the flow of commerce, and the mutual benefit to maintaining a dialogue far outweigh any short-term military solution. Yes, there's the "KLM-Asia" stuff, and the PRC government demanding things from airlines serving China such as referring to Taiwan as part of China, but in general, there are many carriers at TPE with whom the airlines' home countries have no diplomatic relations.

2) From January, 1961, to July, 2015, the United States had no diplomatic relations with Cuba, and yet many airlines flew charters there. A special situation, definitely, but one I always found interesting that the charter rights weren't given to a third party, such as Mexico. Mehh, politics - I hope I never understand that logic.

I hope something can bring Venezuela back into stability. If things stabilize, I'll bet carriers will be tripping over themselves to return.

b747400erf

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:43 am

797 wrote:

"Acting President" the guy that claims he is in charge and various governments involved in the coup recognise him?
That never ends badly.

acos24

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:59 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
WWads wrote:
797 wrote:

You think that next flight out has empty seats??? Flights out of Venezuela have gone out fully booked for years, nothing to do with the current situation. FYI, I'm going to Venezuela tomorrow. Business as usual.

That's being a wee bit alarmist, there are still plenty of seats left. I see I can book a one way flight online right now from Caracas to Madrid tomorrow for $500 US and to Port of Spain in Trinidad for $300 US

pbody

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:34 am

MalevTU134 wrote:

Actually most of the flights out of CCS tomorrow have seats available for sale. American even has seats on both their flights to Miami for sale at pretty reasonable prices.

MalevTU134 wrote:
Exactlyyyyy. It is not the president of Venezuela who ordered them out, but simply a regular citizen, and criminal at that. They should take no notice and stay put. Any other course of action would be irrational and inconsequential.

Yup, It is only the deranged former dictator that still believes he is in power and whom still controls the military that ordered them out. I'm sure if they decide not to leave Maduro will take only "inconsequential" actions :roll:

LH658

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:32 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
WWads wrote:
797 wrote:

Despite what the media tells us etc, Can you tell us how Venezuela is for you? What do you observe when you go? and how is the situation?. Thanks

MalevTU134

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:17 pm

pbody wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Actually most of the flights out of CCS tomorrow have seats available for sale. American even has seats on both their flights to Miami for sale at pretty reasonable prices.

MalevTU134 wrote:

Yup, It is only the deranged former dictator that still believes he is in power and whom still controls the military that ordered them out. I'm sure if they decide not to leave Maduro will take only "inconsequential" actions :roll:

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/23/po ... cnn.com%2F

Well, the US administration seems to have taken the route I mentioned yesterday...and what choice do they have? Once you no longer recognize the guy in actual power, you can no longer take his statements and actions as being official. Or should they also withdraw their diplomats from the UK if, say, Rowan Atkinson tells them to?

Assuming Maduro to be deranged is a very dangerous mistake to make. He may not be very intellectually gifted, but he has played the strategy game almost to perfection, allowing him to stay in power for six years, thwarting attempts to revoke his designation, playing the sweet'n'sour game with the military to get and keep their support, all while rhe country's oil production and GDP has fallen by 70 and 55%, respectively, during his presidency, and with 90-95% popular disapproval of his government. That's no mean feat for a thief clinging on to power. The fat moustache guy is a cunning b*stard, and he knows fully well he cannot or shouldn't touch US diplomats or their installations in the country, lest he is able (which he knows he isn't) to face the wrath and the power of the US war machine. In fact, the "only" real threats to the US Embassy so far has been that their water and gas supply will be cut.

As for seats being available on flights out of Venezuela, these usually go out full (and return almost empty). I didn't check today's flights when posting yesterday but maybe many people left before a day that was known to become violent? I honestly don't know.

chepos

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:19 pm

AA 1484 is enroute to CCS, both the outbound and inbound back to MIA are not fully booked. So, not all flights out of CCS are fully booked for years to come.
Fly the Flag!!!!

dcajet

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:40 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Assuming Maduro to be deranged is a very dangerous mistake to make. He may not be very intellectually gifted, but he has played the strategy game almost to perfection, allowing him to stay in power for six years, thwarting attempts to revoke his designation, playing the sweet'n'sour game with the military to get and keep their support, all while rhe country's oil production and GDP has fallen by 70 and 55%, respectively, during his presidency, and with 90-95% popular disapproval of his government. That's no mean feat for a thief clinging on to power. The fat moustache guy is a cunning b*stard, and he knows fully well he cannot or shouldn't touch US diplomats or their installations in the country, lest he is able (which he knows he isn't) to face the wrath and the power of the US war machine. In fact, the "only" real threats to the US Embassy so far has been that their water and gas supply will be cut.

Isn't Maduro mostly the face of power in today's Bolivarian Venezuela? By all accounts one can read in the Spanish, US and Argentinian press, the brain trust in Venezuela lies with his wife, Cilia Flores and the Rodriguez siblings, Jorge, the Information Minister and his sister Delcy, the Vice President... Didn't they outfox Diosdado Cabello completely, once a threat to Maduro?

In any case, the Maduro couple remind me of a tropical version of the Ceausescus of Romania. And we know how those ended...

OB1504

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:29 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
As for Avior, Estelar and Laser (the 3 Venezuelan airlines currently operating to the US) they would of course abide by any decision Maduro takes right off the bat. Estelar wetleases their US capacity, so they could cancel flights before the other 2.

Don’t all 3 wet lease equipment for US flights? Only Avior flies their own metal on BLA-MIA, but their CCS-MIA route is operated by World Atlantic and Estelar and LASER use Eastern/Swift Air.

MalevTU134

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:42 am

dcajet wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Isn't Maduro mostly the face of power in today's Bolivarian Venezuela? By all accounts one can read in the Spanish, US and Argentinian press, the brain trust in Venezuela lies with his wife, Cilia Flores and the Rodriguez siblings, Jorge, the Information Minister and his sister Delcy, the Vice President... Didn't they outfox Diosdado Cabello completely, once a threat to Maduro?

In any case, the Maduro couple remind me of a tropical version of the Ceausescus of Romania. And we know how those ended...

The Ceauşescus indeed. Difference is, in this case he is the really dumb one, and also the one who held the title of President. But at least he hasn't adorned himself with fake academic titles as did that "splendid (albeit illiterate) world-renowned chemist" in Romania and a certain "successful lawyer" in another, tango-loving, Latin American country we both know very well. Not sure who is the dumb one in the Nicaraguan combo, though.

Who is really at the reigns in Venezuela? Hard to know, of course, but I would largely agree with the description you give, even though I think Maduro's personal position shouldn't be underestimated. All of the people you mentioned think he is stupid, and have said so more or less openly, but he has managed to create a hard core of followers in the military who have too much vested in Maduro and all his dirty businesses, so they really have no other options than to support him. Their fall will be as high as his when that day comes, so they try to avoid or at least postpone it as much as they can.

MalevTU134

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:59 am

OB1504 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
As for Avior, Estelar and Laser (the 3 Venezuelan airlines currently operating to the US) they would of course abide by any decision Maduro takes right off the bat. Estelar wetleases their US capacity, so they could cancel flights before the other 2.

Don’t all 3 wet lease equipment for US flights? Only Avior flies their own metal on BLA-MIA, but their CCS-MIA route is operated by World Atlantic and Estelar and LASER use Eastern/Swift Air.

You could be right. These things change week by week nowadays.

Dallastraveler

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:12 am

This newspaper in Dallas spoke to AA officials on this issue. Here's the report:

http://www.aldiadallas.com/wp-admin/pos ... ction=edit

MalevTU134

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Dallastraveler wrote:
This newspaper in Dallas spoke to AA officials on this issue. Here's the report:

http://www.aldiadallas.com/wp-admin/pos ... ction=edit

Paywall.

Could you please briefly recount what they said?

ScottB

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Paywall.

Could you please briefly recount what they said?

Not a paywall, just a bad link. http://www.aldiadallas.com/2019/01/24/a ... venezuela/

They're maintaining normal operations and monitoring the situation.

UpNAWAy

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 pm

The Average Venezuelan lost 24 pounds of body weight last year! They are starving!
Russian, Cuba, Syria and Mexico recognize Madura, those are all in the top 5 of most corrupt countries in the world, nice friends indeed.

aircatalonia

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:36 pm

Aerotrans cargo 747 ER-JAI just took off from CCS, seems to be heading back to Europe. This plane has flown to Libya several times. Do they specialise in conflict zones?

bennett123

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Wonder what the cargo is.

bennett123

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:25 am

ER-JAI landed at Ostend.

aircatalonia

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:25 pm

What is this plane? N787BK?

zkojq

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:29 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Aerotranscargo has a reputation for trafficking weapons. IIRC they, along with SilkWayWest were involved in the transport of weapons from Eastern Europe to Syria/Saudi Arabia.
First to fly the 787-9

jetmechanicdave

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:32 pm

This is getting political. Please keep it in on topic.
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

gunnerman

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:09 pm

I did a quick check on seat availability for tomorrow (Sunday) out of CCS on selected airlines.

1. AA to MIA - both flights wide open
2. CM to PTY - all four flights wide open
3. PU to MAD - wide open
4. IB to MAD - wide open
5. UX to MAD - wide open
6. AF to CDG - wide open

dcajet

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:16 pm

For the past few couple of weeks, loads from CCS have fallen significantly as the country's crisis increases. Estelar has been operating some of its 3x w CCS-EZE flights with its own metal, a 737-300 (YV-625T) with a tech stop at VVI, instead of using the wet leased A340/A330 combo from HiFly. Yesterday's flight only had 65 paxs on board.

dcajet

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:56 pm

A Nordwind Airlines 77E (VP-BJG) is on its way from Moscow Vnukovo to Caracas. Must be a new route bringing in Russian "tourism" to Maduroland :shakehead: :shakehead:

https://www.flightradar24.com/NWS9801/1f523aa2

OGLOBAL

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:39 pm

i don't understand why certain users keep pushing the idea that flights out of ccs are always fully booked yields are great and flights are overpriced

when a dummy search on any given day will show the exact opposite with actual low fares

compare BOG and CCS prices and you will see bog fares are way higher

so the myth that the crisis has helped airlines and they are making gold is completely rubbish

UpNAWAy

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:58 pm

jetmechanicdave wrote:
This is getting political. Please keep it in on topic.

Politics is what is impacting air traffic, safety, commerce and travel. impossible to separate.

Stickpusher

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:10 pm

dcajet wrote:
A Nordwind Airlines 77E (VP-BJG) is on its way from Moscow Vnukovo to Caracas. Must be a new route bringing in Russian "tourism" to Maduroland :shakehead: :shakehead:

Must be a Venezuelan offshoot of Madurodam.

https://www.madurodam.nl/en

About the only place where Maduro can legitimately be the big cheese...

I'll get my coat...

maps4ltd

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:40 pm

How are the flights to Maracaibo doing?
Delta Gold Medallion

ScottB

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:55 pm

OGLOBAL wrote:
i don't understand why certain users keep pushing the idea that flights out of ccs are always fully booked yields are great and flights are overpriced

when a dummy search on any given day will show the exact opposite with actual low fares

At this point, the only people who could afford to buy a ticket out of CCS would have foreign-denominated assets or ties to the government; CM, for example, won't accept payment in bolivares or petros so one would need access to hard currency to purchase a ticket. I suspect most of the former group have already left and the latter don't have a reason to depart yet.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:09 pm

What about MAR?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

flyguy1

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:14 pm

Anyone know anything about the CCS-JFK flight that Swift/Eastern has been operating lately? Seems to come a few times per week.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

usxguy

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Not sure where people got the idea that Copa's flights are wide open. Venezuela - Panama maintains very high load factors. Don't let all those #'s in Sabre/Amadeus/Worldspan trick you. CM has a nasty habit of leaving buckets wide open (while still capturing good yield, rather via fare rule instead of inventory).

Every single one of my CM flights this year has shown lots of 9's across the board, only to get on the plane and there be less than 10% open. Was even happy to see my MBJ-PTY flight, which showed all 9's in Sabre, and the seat map looking like it had only 10 of us on board, went out with only 7 open seats in J and 4 or 5 in Y.
xx

usxguy

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:50 pm

Example: MIA-PTY tomorrow.

Sabre:

29JAN TUE MIA/EST PTY/EST‡0
1CM 431 C1 J1 D0 Y9 B9 M9 H9*MIAPTY 140P 453P 738 M 0 DCA /E
Q9 K9 V9 U9 S9 O9 W9

Seatmap:
08 . . . N . . . 08
09 . . . N . . . 09
10 . . . N . . . 10
17 . . . E N . E . 17
18 . E . E N . . . 18
19 . . . N . . . 19
20 . ¤ . N . . . 20
Y A B C D E F Y
21 . . . N . . . 21
22 . . . N . . . 22
23 . . . N . . . 23
24 . . . N . . . 24
25 . ¤ . N . . . 25
26 . . . N . . . 26
27 ¤ . . N . ¤ . 27
28 . . . N . . ¤ 28
29 . . . N ¤ . . 29
30 . . ¤ N . ¤ ¤ 30
31 . ¤ . N . ¤ . 31
32 ¤ ¤ ¤ N . . . 32
33 . . . N ¤ ¤ ¤ 33
xx

ikarlson

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:54 am

dcajet wrote:

https://www.flightradar24.com/NWS9801/1f523aa2

Has to be some kind government movement or special load, Nordwind Airlines are based at SVO and there is gotta be a reason why it got moved to VKO and then departed to Venezuela

Avianca

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:23 am

bennett123 wrote:

should be "printed matters" aka money
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

TWA302

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:50 pm

Avianca wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

should be "printed matters" aka money

Close - 20 tons or about $840M in gold bars. :eyepopping:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/venezuela-crisis-777-plane-lands-13927454

bennett123

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Has the Nordwind left yet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos