Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Zoedyn
Topic Author

China-Japan flights to soar dramatically as bilateral ties thaw

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:55 am

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... -february/

The Japanese report said Chinese airlines will operate at least 46 more direct routes from China to Japan from Feb, citing recent CAAC documents

But that number is still not quite up-to-date if we got a closer look at all the most recent documents on the website of CAAC, showing 3 batches of proposed routes by Chinese airlines have been listed for public notice just in the first 3 weeks of this month so far (See: http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/2 ... 14040.pdf; http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/2 ... 94737.pdf; http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/2 ... 307654.pdf).

An incomplete list of recently proposed China-Japan routes

A rough count shows more than 60 routes btwn China and Japan have been applied for by multiple Chinese airlines including HU, HO, 9C, SC, MF, GJ, 3U, JD, BK, UQ, FM, apart from the big CN3, with Osaka set to be undisputedly the most popular destination taking new/extra flights from Tianjin, Zhengzhou, Dalian, Haikou, Hangzhou, Kunming, Nanjing, Changsha, Wenzhou, Ningbo, Xi'an, Fuzhou, Qingdao, Shenzhen, Harbin, Shenyang, etc

This sudden boom of Chinese flights to Japan of course has everything to do with the continuing thaw in diplomatic ties following mutual visits of the prime ministers btwn the two neighbors in 2018, to be further boosted by a possible visit to Japan by China's paramount leader this year (bearing in mind there had been a pitiful 8-year diplomatic standoff btwn the two countries prior to 2018)

So, KIX, watch out! Hordes after hordes of Chinese tourists will soon be overcrowding its terminal

We'll see how many of these flights actually materialize

avier

Re: China-Japan flights to soar dramatically as bilateral ties thaw

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 am

So they will now clog up Japanese airports with tons and tons of NB's. Like another user pointed in a different thread of how BKK has been clogged up with tons of Chinese NB's operating there.
Also might get more noisy in the peaceful JP with noisy tourists, and I know the JP people hate that.

Momo1435

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:04 am

This also follows the sharp increase of Chinese tourist to Japan since 2012 of years. The total number of foreign visitors has tripled in that period, for a large part due to Chinese tourist. All these extra flight shows that it's not likely that this growth spurt will suddenly stop.

I don't think the Chinese tourist will stay away with the new "departure tax" of 1000 yen per visit, to be paid at the airport when leaving Japan. So all these extra flights will also be very welcome for the Japanese Tax Bureau.

ShinyAndChrome

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Good news for KIX. They certainly have the space for it.

It seems like a natural choice too. KIX is also the closest international gateway to Kyoto, which is very popular with Chinese tourists.

c933103

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Xian-Lianyungang-Shizuoka? Seriously?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:59 pm

ShinyAndChrome wrote:
Good news for KIX. They certainly have the space for it.

It seems like a natural choice too. KIX is also the closest international gateway to Kyoto, which is very popular with Chinese tourists.

Kyotoites will tell you that "Please go away, all those (not necessarily just Chinese) tourists". The main attractions in Kyoto are nowaday way overcrowded anyway (although you can still find tranquility away from the "main" tourist drags).

Zoedyn wrote:
So, KIX, watch out! Hordes after hordes of Chinese tourists will soon be overcrowding its terminal

They already had :white: :white: (Ok, still enough South Korean tourists to make sure that it's not just Chinese tourists overcrowding KIX). Just hopefully they don't sing the Chinese National Anthem when their flight is delayed departing KIX again :duck:

c933103 wrote:
Xian-Lianyungang-Shizuoka? Seriously?

I believe China United Airlines also proposed a LYG-KIX routes also. Haven't started yet, though, even though the original application plan a start date of Jan. 2019.
http://sky-budget.com/2018/10/03/%E4%B8 ... %E7%B7%9A/

But yeah, I just don't see how XIY-LYG-FSZ can support 4 flights per week.

leader1

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Zoedyn wrote:

I was in Osaka last month and was stunned at the amount of Mainland tourists there. Osaka has become a mecca for shopping and I'd say 90% of the people I saw in the Namba area were probably from China. Each tourist large suitcases with them just to stock up.
Leader-1

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:21 pm

leader1 wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:

I was in Osaka last month and was stunned at the amount of Mainland tourists there. Osaka has become a mecca for shopping and I'd say 90% of the people I saw in the Namba area were probably from China. Each tourist large suitcases with them just to stock up.

Not shocking at all to me. Many of the store in Namba/Shinsaibashi area (especially pharmacies) also hire Mandarin-speaking staff (mainly Chinese college students studying in Japan) just to handle those Chinese tourist flow. It has everything to do with mainland Chinese not trusting products that they can buy within mainland anyway. If anything it's actually already not as crazy as it once was (the peak was around 2015 or so), partly due to slowdown in Chinese economy, and partly b/c Japanese Yen got slightly more expensive.

Kansai area is definitely benefiting from the influx of tourists to certain extent (The economy in Keihanshin area had been going nowhere for years). But as with all places that have "mass tourism", problems arise and there are definitely conflicts. (I'm from Hong Kong, so I know full well about the mainland Chinese carrying their suitcases around and buy a whole suitcases of daily goods. Nothing is going to change until mainland China get their act together when it comes to consumer good safety, though).

raylee67

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm

The Japanese is making a grave mistake.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:58 am

http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/2 ... 94419.html
Per latest CAAC notice today on Jan 29th, Chinese airlines just can't be stopped launching new/extra flights to Japan

KIX, CTS, KIJ, NGO, FSZ are seen on the list here with proposals from PN, 3U, CZ, MF

mrwhistler

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:09 am

I can't imagine many of these will be profitable but I will certainly be happy to take advantage of cheaper flights between Shanghai and Japan - right now it often costs more to fly to Japan than to the U.S.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Japan continues to be a hotspot for new route applications by Chinese carriers.

Chinese carriers seek rights to fly new routes to Japan, Korea

Air China, Juneyao Airlines and Shenzhen Airlines are among five airlines that have filed applications with CAAC to start new routes to six points in Japan today on June 20

ITSTours

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Japan (or Shinzo Abe) also desperately needs Chinese visitors as they want to reach 40 Million international visitors in 2020. China is really the only driving force at this point. Korean visitor growth is now slowed. I see why the bilaterals were expanded.

FCOTSTW

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:56 pm

Good stuff, really. But has not all of this already happened? The article is dated January 24, 2019 and talks about 46 new routes to be established in February and March 2019.

It appears than anything this article predicts is obsolete.

jbs2886

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:38 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
Good stuff, really. But has not all of this already happened? The article is dated January 24, 2019 and talks about 46 new routes to be established in February and March 2019.

It appears than anything this article predicts is obsolete.

The original post was 4 months ago....

eamondzhang

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 pm

mrwhistler wrote:
I can't imagine many of these will be profitable but I will certainly be happy to take advantage of cheaper flights between Shanghai and Japan - right now it often costs more to fly to Japan than to the U.S.

It also often costs more to fly SHA-PEK than a SHA/PVG-Japan tickets. Already rock bottom fare for many months of the year.

Michael

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos