Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

AA kicks off family because of odor MIA-DET

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:16 am

A family was kicked off an American Airlines flight from Miami to Detroit on Wednesday. American says it was because they smelled. They say it’s because they’re Jewish.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... imination/

I have never encountered a smelly passenger when flying. But after reading this, I will pack a good air filter mask for any future travel. Especially when it could get this bad...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1395515

Q

Re: AA kicks off family because of odor MIA-DET

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:38 am

DET code is Detriot downtown airport. LOL! The airport has 4,800 ft. I flew on Southwest a few times to DET long time ago. It's actually DTW not DET.

Q

Pudelhund

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:39 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
They say it’s because they’re Jewish.

Wasn't this maneuver just tried on a Spirit flight from New Jersey to Florida? As if cabin crew working that route have never encountered a Jewish person before.

compensateme

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I have never encountered a smelly passenger when flying.

I’ve been on plenty, maybe your sense of smell isn’t as sensitive? Red flights from Hawaii and late departures from Mexican/Caribbean sun destinations tend to be the biggest offenders, with oodles of passengers who enjoyed the day in the sun but didn’t reapply deodorant (sorry, that “96 hour” stuff doesn’t last more day in the hot sun, let alone anything close to 96 hours).

I’ve also been on many NK flights with smell passengers, and once flew NW MSP-HNL behind some tween boy blew gas the whole way.

PRO TIP: the next time you fly WN and desire not to sit next to somebody (assuming you board early enough and the flight isn’t full), whip out a can of tuna fish. At ATL, Krystal burgers worked even better but alas, they removed the restaurant...

September11

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:02 am

I am sorry this happened. What was their seat assignment? Last row, apparently not. Smelly passengers can sit there. Like the old days of smoking section.

BoeingGuy

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:21 am

I’ve seen this on buses or while traveling. Some people don’t believe in using Right Guard. It can be pretty bad.

TWA772LR

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 am

You've never met a flight from Lagos.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Re: AA kicks off family because of odor MIA-DTW

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:58 am

Q wrote:
DET code is Detriot downtown airport. LOL! The airport has 4,800 ft. I flew on Southwest a few times to DET long time ago. It's actually DTW not DET.Q

Yeah, I'm sorry about that DTW error. I was posting about this elsewhere, and right about the time I went to double-check, I got interrupted and this dropped through the cracks. If a Mod wants to correct the title to DTW, that's be fine with me!

compensateme wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

I’ve been on plenty, maybe your sense of smell isn’t as sensitive?

My sense of smell is good, it's just that most of my flying was in and out of DFW in the lower 48, and not to and from overseas destinations. And as for the Caribbean destinations, San Juan, the Bahamas, and St. Lucia, I don't recall any odor issues.

BoeingGuy wrote:
I’ve seen this on buses or while traveling. Some people don’t believe in using Right Guard. It can be pretty bad.

I just experienced this riding on Dart Rail to DFW airport. Then, it got worse when I rode on the DFW Terminal Link bus, where there was a couple from Europe that had odor. The air circulation in that bus was poor. I finally got up and asked the bus driver to turn on the air, which he did. He had his window vent open, so he was doing fine.

Aesma

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 am

If the whole family smells then hygiene is the likely issue.

I'm not going to smell horrible after a day out but if it has been hot and sweaty I'm not going to smell roses either, usually I won't fly after such a day, but recently I was on a redeye from Vietnam (a long flight not to be made longer by smelling bad), so all day sweating before that, and no possibility to shower before the flight : I prepared a clean shirt and some wipes and cleaned up and changed in the bathroom before boarding, it's not that difficult.
I even went to work directly after landing !

readytotaxi

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:34 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Spot on :checkmark: , from many years of experience.

airtrantpa

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:14 pm

compensateme wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

I’ve been on plenty, maybe your sense of smell isn’t as sensitive? Red flights from Hawaii and late departures from Mexican/Caribbean sun destinations tend to be the biggest offenders, with oodles of passengers who enjoyed the day in the sun but didn’t reapply deodorant (sorry, that “96 hour” stuff doesn’t last more day in the hot sun, let alone anything close to 96 hours).

I’ve also been on many NK flights with smell passengers, and once flew NW MSP-HNL behind some tween boy blew gas the whole way.

PRO TIP: the next time you fly WN and desire not to sit next to somebody (assuming you board early enough and the flight isn’t full), whip out a can of tuna fish. At ATL, Krystal burgers worked even better but alas, they removed the restaurant...

Nor as good as white castle does, those white castle farts are the worst

J343

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:29 pm

My past flights to DXB and GOI was pretty bad. 7 hours from LHR to DXB sat next a group of men smelling of bad BO. And my flight from DOH to GOI was bad, pretty much everyone smelled of BO and curry

FlapsOne

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:42 pm

It's funny isn't it. It's always 'because I'm black/muslim/jew/gay/free-spirited asexual demiboy/fat'. Its great to live in a world that's seemingly full of people who don't do anything wrong but it seems we are simply intolerant. No?

PI4EVER

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:05 pm

Oy Vey!
Like there aren't Jewish people in Miami/South Florida that AA deals with everyday.
On a television interview I saw the couple were told their denied boarding was the result of "personal hygiene issues."

Noise

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:30 pm

I was on a Air Canada Express CRJ-200 doing RDU-YYZ about two years ago. We had a woman board the plane who I think never showered or used deodorant. She sat two rows behind me but I was still able to smell her. The man sitting next to her didn't have a problem spraying his cologne all over her and her immediate vicinity to mask the smell. I respected and admired the balls this guy had to spray the deodorant on her.

sw733

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:42 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I have never encountered a smelly passenger when flying.5

Consider yourself so lucky. The two worst I've encountered are vividly memorable...crammed in the same row as a ridiculously smelly guy on a thankfully short BUD-WAW flight, and then temporarily sat next to a very large, very smell woman on another thankfully short CLT-HSV flight (in a CRJ-200 nonetheless), but luckily the flight was nearly empty and she moved across the row after the door closed.

BAeRJ100

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:49 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
It's funny isn't it. It's always 'because I'm black/muslim/jew/gay/free-spirited asexual demiboy/fat'

It can pretty infuriating, and I say that as one of the kinds of people you listed.

I was connecting off an international flight at LAX and there was one particular other person in front of me who was very clearly Jewish and had some of the worst body odor I've ever experienced. I'm not exaggerating when I say you could smell him from a couple of metres away. The fact is, if I told him he needed to take a shower it would very clearly be because he stank, not because of his religion.

Western727

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:14 pm

Question (Dwight Schrute, anyone?): suppose one finds themselves in this situation...what are the potential remedies? User "Noise" a few replies back mentioned another pax spraying the offender with cologne. While certainly admirable, I don't have the guts to do something like that. So, options? Like to put these in the back of my head for that eventual possibility.

Apply cologne above my upper lip (if I have it)? Go to the lav and apply a fresh coat of deodorant in my own armpits? Other, better, options?

sixfootscream

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
It's funny isn't it. It's always 'because I'm black/muslim/jew/gay/free-spirited asexual demiboy/fat'. Its great to live in a world that's seemingly full of people who don't do anything wrong but it seems we are simply intolerant. No?

One would think the US and the Western world is full of bigots.

sixfootscream

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:31 pm

People simply have poor personal hygiene. I come across people with bleeding gums, smelly armpits and stinking breath everyday. I unfortunately work with those people all day. Sometimes we get chocked up in the office because the smell is so bad.

PPVLC

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:40 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

I was trying to forget those, the whole uniform absorbed the smell and it had to be washed immediately after getting home. Some holiday destinations were infamous for their smelly passengers on their way back home, yes I'm talking about you FRA...

Western727

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:42 pm

sixfootscream wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:

Sure it is, though it's quite short sighted to say that it's a US/western world thing.

evank516

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 pm

I think there's a rather large Jewish population in Detroit. I know it exists in Southeast Florida. Either way, I've been on many planes where individuals who were very obviously Jewish rode with me. No body odors and certainly none of them removed from the aircraft. But of course the guy will argue he doesn't have any body odor, if you smell it long enough you stop noticing it.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:09 pm

Once flying TAP from LIS to GRU. I was flying economy and sitting at the aisle. An european gentleman also in the aisle decided to take off his boots and suddenly I felt like the walls were melting. I felt like we had crashed. I felt like I was dying thru my nose. Me and the people around it. The pax sitting in front of him turned around and motioned that his feet was smelling bad. He was so ashamed.

Another time was when I was flying Norwegian from OSL to BER. It was a really long time ago. I sat next to a gentleman who must not have taken a shower in more than 4 days. I had to endure the pungent smell. It was not in Sweden, but suddenly SURSTRÖMMING came into my mind lol.

In cases like this, what can we do? I don't know if it is fair for me to complain because each one of us have a different culture and definitely different hygiene habits.
That's when I realized that flying in a better cabin was the only way for me to avoid this kind of thing. :)
I tend to suck it up whenever I fly in economy.

WayexTDI

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm

geoshina wrote:
In cases like this, what can we do? I don't know if it is fair for me to complain because each one of us have a different culture and definitely different hygiene habits.

Many forget one thing: one's freedom stops where someone else's starts.

Meaning, while no one can force someone to shower and have (decent) personal hygiene, no one either can force you to suffer from the olfactory pollution that it generates. So, if the majority is inconvenienced by the smell, the (smelly) minority needs to cave in and be removed. Which is what happened on this flight.

ILNFlyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Gross - how did they get past the gate?

bgm

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
My sense of smell is good, it's just that most of my flying was in and out of DFW in the lower 48, and not to and from overseas destinations.

Don't flatter yourself, I've taken flights in the lower 48 with some real stinkers onboard. On a flight from DFW-ATL, it was particularly pungent. :irked:

Noise

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:08 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
geoshina wrote:

Many forget one thing: one's freedom stops where someone else's starts.

Meaning, while no one can force someone to shower and have (decent) personal hygiene, no one either can force you to suffer from the olfactory pollution that it generates. So, if the majority is inconvenienced by the smell, the (smelly) minority needs to cave in and be removed. Which is what happened on this flight.

Completely agree.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:51 pm

bgm wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
My sense of smell is good, it's just that most of my flying was in and out of DFW in the lower 48, and not to and from overseas destinations.

Don't flatter yourself, I've taken flights in the lower 48 with some real stinkers onboard. On a flight from DFW-ATL, it was particularly pungent. :irked:

I was just revealing my experiences. Clearly, others in the thread have had experiences with other than the lower 48 that were offending.

Chill.

n92r03

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Cultural and personal beliefs and practices have unintended consequences sometimes. I was in NYC last year visiting a relative at a hospital that had many Jewish patients in. I did notice that *some* of the people, while dressed in the traditional attire (black hat, coat, pants, etc) had extremely poor hygiene. The restrooms at this hospital (for the visitors) were absolutely disgusting, as in the urine spots looked to be thick as butter on the toilet...and it became worse as the day went on, so it appears to be clean at the start of each day. I assumed this was due to perhaps some elders and their beliefs on how to use the toilet.

I've experienced the poor hygiene on flights as well, people from all walks of life and all corners of the US. Worst though was Intl to China where a few people would spit on the floor as if they were outside in a field. It appeared they did not know any better... They also had no idea what deodorant was.

TWA902fly

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

That's the one thing I remember from standing in line for immigration in Lagos.

'902

FlapsOne

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:25 pm

sixfootscream wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:

Indeed it is however it’s notging compared to the open hatred and bigotry you’ll see on display in the Middle East, Africa or India. I know it’s trendy to bash the west and us evil white people but actually compared to many cultures I’d say the western world is pretty amazing and I say that as someone who is in one of the catagories listed above.

braniff2hav

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:26 am

I had a remove a woman before (in the 80's). It was not pleasant and I never really thought at the time how it might make her feel. But after two mentions/complaints it was evident that something had to be done. The odd thing was AA had specific regulations about how the event would have to happen if it came to be. As I was trained this was the single one 'scenario' that I seemed to always go back to and thought it was strange -- and it could 'never happen'. Well it finally did. So I knew precisely how to handle it. I think it was handled upfront, honestly and with the best possible respect - and this was at a station where we had 3 flights a day. She was pleasant enough about it to. Today, I would hate to be the person confronting anyone about their odor. People are entitled today.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 am

n92r03 wrote:
I've experienced the poor hygiene on flights as well, people from all walks of life and all corners of the US. Worst though was Intl to China where a few people would spit on the floor as if they were outside in a field. It appeared they did not know any better... They also had no idea what deodorant was.

I read about this about 8 or 9 years ago in an Western woman's travel blog about going to areas outside of Beijing. I don't have the link now, but she was amazed at how, in 4 Star hotels, that people would just spit, hock a loogie, right on the carpet. The public bathrooms in smaller towns were a real challenge, as she had to squat over a hole where some hadn't been so careful. And, finally, at an airport away from Beijing, while waiting to get on a jet, parents simply allowed their small children to pee on the floor in the waiting area...

I don't know how long it takes someone culturally to adjust to being odorous yourself, as well as those around you. Weeks of it, or months. I wouldn't personally know.

mga707

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:33 am

I remember an episode of "Airline" (US version) from the early '00s in which this situation came up. The WN agent at--IIRC, it's been over 15 years since I watched it--LAX handled the situation with tact. I remember he discreetly took the odorous passenger aside and explained to him what the issue was, and then provided him with some deodorant.

LHUSA

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:10 am

Good on AA. I've been on a stinky flight before, BRUIAD and oh man! The FAs literally were spraying deodorizer to mask smell. No joke

gokmengs

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Something smells funny about the article:)

Aptivaboy

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:47 pm

I was crammed into the center seat on a CO 737 from CLE to HOU one time. The guy to my right was fine. The massive guy to me left was odorific. Sheesh, take a shower and use some deodorant! i really have no patience for people who don't at least make the most minimal attempts at proper hygiene, regardless of their background. If that makes me a bigot, then so be it.

In civilized countries, we bathe!

kiowa

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:55 pm

It seems the media is beating on AA quite a bit lately for minor things. Why all the negative attention? Is there nothing happening in the world that is interesting or important? Nothing new with a Kardashian?

CplKlinger

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Western727 wrote:
Apply cologne above my upper lip (if I have it)? Go to the lav and apply a fresh coat of deodorant in my own armpits? Other, better, options?

Two sure fire things I know are Vicks Vapored-rub and Peppermint oil. My wife is an RN, and they use both with particularly stinky situations to help keep the smells out. Vicks goes on the upper lip below the nose, and they use the oil on masks.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 am

CplKlinger wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Two sure fire things I know are Vicks Vapored-rub and Peppermint oil. My wife is an RN, and they use both with particularly stinky situations to help keep the smells out. Vicks goes on the upper lip below the nose, and they use the oil on masks.

Thank you for the tip about the oil on the mask. I already have some sweet orange aromatherapy essential oil.

santi319

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:12 am

Flights to India will do it for me! I understand its their smell and its fine with me but it is very difficult to smell that for so many hours!

arcticcruiser

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:08 am

CplKlinger wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Vicks Vapo-rub was standard issue when I flew African (including Nigeria) Hajj flights. Much needed.

sixfootscream

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:28 am

FlapsOne wrote:
sixfootscream wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:

Indeed it is however it’s notging compared to the open hatred and bigotry you’ll see on display in the Middle East, Africa or India. I know it’s trendy to bash the west and us evil white people but actually compared to many cultures I’d say the western world is pretty amazing and I say that as someone who is in one of the catagories listed above.

I forgot to add that I was being sarcastic.

dampfnudel

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:38 am

AA did the right thing. Why should a bunch of passengers and crew suffer because of a family’s poor hygiene. In the past, it would’ve been seen more as a learning lesson for all parties involved rather than a opportunity to squeeze out goodies from an airline eager to avoid any negative PR on the viral wildfire that social media has become. I hope AA doesn’t give in because it sets a bad precedent.

N14AZ

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:25 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
A family was kicked off an American Airlines flight from Miami to Detroit on Wednesday. American says it was because they smelled. They say it’s because they’re Jewish.

What is actually the explanation that some of them have this body smell? Something requested by their religion?

I had a project in Belize close to a village of Amish people. I never went there but a colleague, a very nice guy whom I respected very much, told me they also have an issue with body smell. Are they not allowed to use soap, shampoo and so on?

euroflyer

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:17 am

I remember that 2 years ago, they were news about an hotel in Switzerland that sticked posters "inviting" its jewish customers to take a shower before entering the swimming pool. They were directly targeting Haredim jews that used to stay in that hotel, because other customers complained about them

TSS

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:58 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I had a project in Belize close to a village of Amish people. I never went there but a colleague, a very nice guy whom I respected very much, told me they also have an issue with body smell. Are they not allowed to use soap, shampoo and so on?

Probably only what they make themselves from lye and animal fat. While that kind of soap will clean most anything, it has zero deodorant properties.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 pm

TSS wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Probably only what they make themselves from lye and animal fat. While that kind of soap will clean most anything, it has zero deodorant properties.

And someone recently said we should live without air-conditioning, for the sake of "the earth."

Aesma

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:25 pm

And no washing powder, maybe no hot or running water certainly doesn't help.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos