jumbojet

Re: Official: Delta will postpone A220 operations

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:21 am

teachpdx wrote:
A quick call to DL and they graciously moved my entire (basic economy!) ticket for my A220 1/31 flights to 2/7.
They had no obligation to do so, but they did. And that’s what sets DL apart.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wouldnt happen with any other US legacy.

ryanov

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:32 am

jfern022 wrote:
I believe the M90's were also pulled from LGA due to the RNAV requirement.

I have not seen any evidence of that, but I avoid LGA anyway, so I don't know. The pilot in the podcast I posted flies both and specifically said that he will still be flying to LGA on MD-90 flights. That may have changed since, but I don't now that it has.

For that matter, I have not seen anything confirming the withdrawal of either plane from JFK either.

aal151heavy

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:33 am

Boy, this thread turned south and off topic fast! Back on topic - upon seeing the official schedule change this evening, I called Delta to change my reservation to Feb 7 looking to waive the change fee.  The reservation agent hands were tied (he has not heard of anything about waiving or crediting for the A220) but was happy to transfer me to a supervisor.  The supervisor said the best thing he can do is to refund my money.  Alright, I guess that's not so bad.  After a lengthy hold for the refund desk, my ticket was processed for credit back to my card.  I also had a second ticket BOS-LGS-DFW on miles+money.  That ticket had to be refunded back entirely in miles.  I wasn't going to argue since Delta didn't have to do anything.  Kudos to Delta for keeping the AvGeeks happy!  
My airliners.net photos

rbavfan

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
The FAA should IMO scrap the certification and force DL out of the contract.

It's already FAA certified. Just airline cert. It's a great plane get over the Boeing bull crap. And this is from a Boeing stockholder that feels they should be ashamed.

N766UA

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:45 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
Great, looks like I am totally out of luck because I purchased these tickets specifically to go on the A220 flight and now I have no reason to travel.

Update: Delta customer service quickly and easily cancelled my flights and provided full wallet credit for me to book in the future.

Not surprised, thats one of the many reasons I continue to fly Delta. They actually listen and care and will provide a refund even though a refund wasnt due. Good luck trying to get that on any other airline.

United refunded me when they changed my 787 to a 767 back when that jet was brand new and making the rounds. I guess I had good luck.

ctrabs0114

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
UGA777 wrote:
Is there an ETA on the new induction date? The shutdown appears to be over as of today.

February 7th.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AirlineFlyer ... 9979840512

So, the A220s should (hopefully) be in service by the time I make my DFW-SLC-SEA outbound and SEA-DTW-DFW return flights on April 27? Because, to be honest, the only reasons I booked on DL for this trip was (1) timing (I'm flying same day to catch a Saturday night baseball game in Seattle and the return flight is a red eye to DTW) and (2) to give the A220 a shot (supposed to be flying it on the DFW-SLC and DTW-DFW legs, with a 738 on SLC-SEA and a 753 on the SEA-DTW red eye).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

evank516

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:49 pm

I believe 3 A220 flights were originally on the schedule for LGA-DFW on 1/31, all three are now A319s so at least they didn't downgauge to an RJ.

MSPNWA

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:12 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Not surprised, thats one of the many reasons I continue to fly Delta. They actually listen and care and will provide a refund even though a refund wasnt due. Good luck trying to get that on any other airline.

jumbojet wrote:

As of last check, AA's contract of carriage includes aircraft changes as a reason to cancel. So you don't need a "goodwill" offer. Much superior to DL's policy.

I've even had success getting partial compensation from UA after the trip was taken. Point is, every carrier worth their salt will work with the customer in these situations. What DL is doing here with a hyped initial service is the minimum one should expect. A true refund, not just waiving the cancellation fee, would be better service.

WayexTDI

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:23 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

jumbojet wrote:

As of last check, AA's contract of carriage includes aircraft changes as a reason to cancel. So you don't need a "goodwill" offer. Much superior to DL's policy.

I've even had success getting partial compensation from UA after the trip was taken. Point is, every carrier worth their salt will work with the customer in these situations. What DL is doing here with a hyped initial service is the minimum one should expect. A true refund, not just waiving the cancellation fee, would be better service.

Can you please point out where it says that? I cannot find it on their online CoC.

OA412

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:17 pm

MSPNWA wrote:

No, AAs contract does not give refunds for change of aircraft. In fact, AAs CoC specifically indicates that change of aircraft may occur, and they'll do their best to move you to a smiliar seat, but nothing is guaranteed. It would be lunacy for any airline, let alone a major US airline, to include a provision in their CoC allowing refunds if there's a change of aircraft given how often that happens. And it sounds like at least one person was offered a refund, so it appears they're doing more than just waiving the cancellation fee.

becausehttps://www.aa.com/i18n/customer ... efunds.jsp
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-servic ... rriage.jsp

jumbojet wrote:
teachpdx wrote:
A quick call to DL and they graciously moved my entire (basic economy!) ticket for my A220 1/31 flights to 2/7.

Yeah we can argue semantics, but with WN, you wouldn't need any special reason to make a change to the reservation. In fact, I can just go to their website and make the no-fee change myself whenever I want to. Now that's customer service.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Boof02671

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:36 am

Delta has scheduled the first flight of it on 2/7 out of LGA to BOS.

Polot

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:10 am

OA412 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

No, AAs contract does not give refunds for change of aircraft. In fact, AAs CoC specifically indicates that change of aircraft may occur, and they'll do their best to move you to a smiliar seat, but nothing is guaranteed. It would be lunacy for any airline, let alone a major US airline, to include a provision in their CoC allowing refunds if there's a change of aircraft given how often that happens. And it sounds like at least one person was offered a refund, so it appears they're doing more than just waiving the cancellation fee.

jumbojet wrote:
teachpdx wrote:

Yeah we can argue semantics, but with WN, you wouldn't need any special reason to make a change to the reservation. In fact, I can just go to their website and make the no-fee change myself whenever I want to. Now that's customer service.

DL is just doing it because the A220 is new and they know some people are flying the plane just because of that. This isn’t something completely new, as someone mentioned UA gave refunds/waived fees with the 787 when that was new if the plane got switched. Now go to DL for a refund when your A321 gets switched to a 739 and see how far their customer service gets you.

SteelChair

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 pm

rbavfan wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
The FAA should IMO scrap the certification and force DL out of the contract.

It's already FAA certified. Just airline cert. It's a great plane get over the Boeing bull crap. And this is from a Boeing stockholder that feels they should be ashamed.

I looked back in the thread to see the context of the original remark and it appears to be gone...

jumbojet

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Polot wrote:
OA412 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

jumbojet wrote:

DL is just doing it because the A220 is new and they know some people are flying the plane just because of that. This isn’t something completely new, as someone mentioned UA gave refunds/waived fees with the 787 when that was new if the plane got switched. Now go to DL for a refund when your A321 gets switched to a 739 and see how far their customer service gets you.

The A220 will also be flying LGA-DFW on 2/7.

Sorry but I have a hard time believing UA would do much good will in the form of issuing a refund for something like that. Just doesnt souind like something they would do.
DL does a lot more good will customer service than any other airline. In fact, just the other day, my business class fare on JFK-ZRH dropped by $350.00. The change fee was the same amount. I called seeking a credit anyway and sure enough, the DL agent made it happen, without even having to ask a supervisor. THat wouldnt happen with many other airlines.

Polot

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Polot wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Sorry but I have a hard time believing UA would do much good will in the form of issuing a refund for something like that. Just doesnt souind like something they would do.
DL does a lot more good will customer service than any other airline. In fact, just the other day, my business class fare on JFK-ZRH dropped by $350.00. The change fee was the same amount. I called seeking a credit anyway and sure enough, the DL agent made it happen, without even having to ask a supervisor. THat wouldnt happen with many other airlines.

There is someone in this thread who literally said that UA gave them a refund when their flight was switched to a 767 around time of 787 EIS. I’m more inclined to believe their experience than what you think things “sound like a company would do”.

OA412

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Polot wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Polot wrote:

There is someone in this thread who literally said that UA gave them a refund when their flight was switched to a 767 around time of 787 EIS. I’m more inclined to believe their experience than what you think things “sound like a company would do”.

:checkmark: Indeed, I thought I saw at least two posts indicating UA offered a refund. What someone feels re: whether a company would offer a refund is irrelevant. It's the company's actions that matter. And in terms of "goodwill customer service" I really don't think that's easily quantifiable, and it's certainly not a foregone conclusion that DL does more of it than UA.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

FlyBitcoin

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:42 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Now go to DL for a refund when your A321 gets switched to a 739 and see how far their customer service gets you.

Yes, the "I booked in your esteemed C+ class of service and you took my mid-cabin restroom away. I deserve a refund, or at least a hall pass to use the F lavatory and immunity from dirty looks from the FA's and F pax."

IFlyVeryLittle

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Cameras covering the 24 Hours of Daytona captured a Delta A220 taking off from the nearby airport -- a training or orientation flight, perhaps? It was in rainy, windy weather, so I wondered if Delta had this planned or saw an opportunity for bad-weather experience for its new bird?

SteelChair

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:57 am

Just a quick note WRT the comments about customer service vis a vis UAL and DAL. Let's throw in AA and have a contest based upon NPS and fewest DOT complaints. Is there a clear winner among the three?

WassbiKhalifa

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:59 am

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Cameras covering the 24 Hours of Daytona captured a Delta A220 taking off from the nearby airport -- a training or orientation flight, perhaps? It was in rainy, windy weather, so I wondered if Delta had this planned or saw an opportunity for bad-weather experience for its new bird?

They are training flights. They are hopping around the Southeast each day. DAB, HSV, JAN, LIT, DFW, etc.

MSPNWA

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:56 am

OA412 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

It's in their international rules. Someone at TPG just used it to get out of their A321NEO delay (a much less hyped entry to service). AA customers have an arrow in their quiver.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... inaugural/
https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html#0065

Now granted their common CoC referenced is much more vague on the matter, but it still list aircraft type as a reason that affects a trip, a superior language. It's better than CoCs that specifically list no guarantee of equipment, leaving the airline in the position of power.

So the fact remains that AA's language available to the public is much superior. And the point remains that DL isn't the only airline to offer cancellation fee refunds in situations like this. Stating otherwise is unfounded, misleading, and frankly, haughty.

UALFAson

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:45 pm

So I called DL last night and was eventually able to get my ticket for what was supposed to be today's inaugural rebooked on next week's inaugural, though it took 45 minutes and 2 representatives. In hindsight, I wish I had just thrown away my $66 ticket I booked months ago and simply bought a new one. One-way fares were still available late last night for $63 Basic Economy and $76 for regular Economy on the 0600 LGA-BOS (DL744, I think).

As a former member of the media, I find it odd that the inaugural flight for a completely new aircraft (not just like a 787-9 versus 787-8) is at 6 a.m. on a Thursday. Does anyone on here who works at DL know about any sort of celebratory plans? Neither phone rep I talked to last night, including the supervisor, even knew what I was talking about with the A-220 debut and said they had not rec'd any memos, company communications, etc. Seems like a missed opportunity for some free, positive publicity.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

teachpdx

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:26 am

I’m on the 7:05 DFW-LGA next Thursday, then the 13:59 from LGA-BOS.

I’m hoping there’s a little something happening that morning in DFW, but by the early afternoon flight out of LGA, the A220 will be old news.

Moose135

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:44 am

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

I was at the race, but missed the departure. As noted, they have been conducting training flights. We've had a couple in and out of CLT in the past week.

KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

lightsaber

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 am

Just a thought, has the delayed EIS delayed any MD-80 retirements? While a small fleet to start, and I'm certain a few MD-80s would be held as cheap reserve to the new type, I wonder if this has impacted MD-80 retirements? 3 days to go!
You know nothing John Snow.

grbauc

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:22 am

MSPNWA wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

jumbojet wrote:

yea ive gotten luv on AA and UA and DL when I wasn't suppose to before. Come on Jumbo You can do better then that..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos