trexel94
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Volaris is looking to add more US cities throughout 2019 but will not release further details on which cities they're interested in for another month. Exciting news to hear as Volaris plans to more than double its fleet in the coming years. I'm assuming mostly from GDL

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... lo-455230/

Let the speculation begin and may the odds be ever in your city's favor. Here's my list

- IND
- STL
- MCI
- MSP
- ATL (going against DL won't be fun)
- BNA
- MSY
- BOS
 
klm617
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:22 pm

DTW is ripe for an airline like Volaris to enter the market. Could be a win win for everyone.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
757usairways
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:28 pm

I could see PHL, RDU and ATL because of the large F9 operations at those airports.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5468
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:04 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Volaris is looking to add more US cities throughout 2019 but will not release further details on which cities they're interested in for another month. Exciting news to hear as Volaris plans to more than double its fleet in the coming years. I'm assuming mostly from GDL

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... lo-455230/

Let the speculation begin and may the odds be ever in your city's favor. Here's my list

- IND
- STL
- MCI
- MSP
- ATL (going against DL won't be fun)
- BNA
- MSY
- BOS


If you consider the Jalisco region & where those immigrants settled, I would expect some more west coast additions. In the case of PDX, the GDL flight works because the majority of our Mexican populous is from that region. It is an excellent VFR route that does well for Y4.

If any of these areas have that same level of immigration, any of these destinations you listed could work well for a Y4 type operation.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:25 pm

HOU would be a good contender especially since WN pulling out of HOU-MEX.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
strangeplanes
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:48 am

RWA380 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
Volaris is looking to add more US cities throughout 2019 but will not release further details on which cities they're interested in for another month. Exciting news to hear as Volaris plans to more than double its fleet in the coming years. I'm assuming mostly from GDL

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... lo-455230/

Let the speculation begin and may the odds be ever in your city's favor. Here's my list

- IND
- STL
- MCI
- MSP
- ATL (going against DL won't be fun)
- BNA
- MSY
- BOS


If you consider the Jalisco region & where those immigrants settled, I would expect some more west coast additions. In the case of PDX, the GDL flight works because the majority of our Mexican populous is from that region. It is an excellent VFR route that does well for Y4.

If any of these areas have that same level of immigration, any of these destinations you listed could work well for a Y4 type operation.

Kansas City has a significant Mexican population. The vast majority of which are from Jalisco/Guadalajara.
 
N292UX
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:50 am

PHL seems like a decent possibility to me. Same with BOS/MSP.
 
FLYKTPA
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:01 am

The city is gonna have to have a decent Mexican population for a GDL flight to work. I assume the new service will be from GDL because MEX doesn’t exactly have slots laying around.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:04 am

Would love to see them in BOS, but BOS seems to struggle with service to Mexico outside of CUN.
 
User avatar
jetpixx
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:19 am

757usairways wrote:
I could see PHL, RDU and ATL because of the large F9 operations at those airports.


Totally...between a rather modest Mexican population and F9's growing ops here in RDU, I could see them as a sensible addition rather than AM.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR
 
nomorerjs
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:24 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:23 am

klm617 wrote:
DTW is ripe for an airline like Volaris to enter the market. Could be a win win for everyone.


Every thread is DTW!

Emirates
LOT
SAS
Volaris

Does every airline need to fly to DTW?
 
socko
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:23 am

Come on Salt Lake City!!!! A guy can dream right?!?!
 
socko
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:23 am

Come on Salt Lake City!!!! A guy can dream right?!?!
 
socko
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:24 am

Come on Salt Lake City!!!! A guy can dream right?!?!
 
socko
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:27 am

Don’t know why it did that, sorry all
 
mtnwest1979
Posts: 2211
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:23 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 am

RNO TUL SLC
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1512
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:29 am

They had a list a while back that had STL, CLE, DTW, maybe MCI and some others
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"
 
FLYKTPA
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:36 am

My contenders for new Volaris service based on lacking GDL service and their Mexican population:
Airport - Mexican population
SAN - 974,516
ATL - 346,332 (Delta would retaliate)
TUS - 333,040 (seems like a great add)
CRP - 264,039
MSP - 140,000
MCI - 137,982
OKC - 133,000
IAD - 132,276
PHL - 113,696 (AA might retaliate)
TPA/PIE - 102,366
BWI - 42,000
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:39 am

AM failed twice at Boston, so I can’t see Logan being very far up the list.
 
amadorE175
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:00 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
My contenders for new Volaris service based on lacking GDL service and their Mexican population:
Airport - Mexican population
SAN - 974,516
ATL - 346,332 (Delta would retaliate)
TUS - 333,040 (seems like a great add)
CRP - 264,039
MSP - 140,000
MCI - 137,982
OKC - 133,000
IAD - 132,276
PHL - 113,696 (AA might retaliate)
TPA/PIE - 102,366
BWI - 42,000


SAN is at the top of this list but it's very unlikely Volaris would head to SAN. Volaris has a nice operation at TIJ and the Crossborder Express makes it easy for US-based folks to take a flight out of TIJ.
 
A320NK
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:15 am

Washington DC area
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 am

chrisnh wrote:
AM failed twice at Boston, so I can’t see Logan being very far up the list.


I have to agree, if AM couldn't do MEX out of BOS I can't see GDL working.
@DadCelo
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3050
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:57 am

gatibosgru wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
AM failed twice at Boston, so I can’t see Logan being very far up the list.


I have to agree, if AM couldn't do MEX out of BOS I can't see GDL working.


They can actually could do MEX instead or even both MEX + GDL. Neither would (or should!) be daily and one or both could be seasonal. I'm sure a red-eye routing would be involved.

One thing Volaris doesn't do is fly USA-Mexican Resort Cities. If they did, could they do something neat like MEX-BOS-CUN-BOS-MEX with a plane or is that too tight of a routing?
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
klm617
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:00 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
My contenders for new Volaris service based on lacking GDL service and their Mexican population:
Airport - Mexican population
SAN - 974,516
ATL - 346,332 (Delta would retaliate)
TUS - 333,040 (seems like a great add)
CRP - 264,039
MSP - 140,000
MCI - 137,982
OKC - 133,000
IAD - 132,276
PHL - 113,696 (AA might retaliate)
TPA/PIE - 102,366
BWI - 42,000



Atlanta is already served by the DL/AM joint venture.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
klm617
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 am

gatibosgru wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
AM failed twice at Boston, so I can’t see Logan being very far up the list.


I have to agree, if AM couldn't do MEX out of BOS I can't see GDL working.


Not to mention it being a DL hub.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:16 am

klm617 wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
AM failed twice at Boston, so I can’t see Logan being very far up the list.


I have to agree, if AM couldn't do MEX out of BOS I can't see GDL working.


Not to mention it being a DL hub.


I expected DL to take over BOS-MEX, but once AM dropped it, B6 was left to enjoy the market to itself.
@DadCelo
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23634
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:48 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
SAN - 974,516

They dropped SAN. Zero need to serve it now with the bridge and TIJ being one of their largest stations.

FLYKTPA wrote:
TUS - 333,040 (seems like a great add)

Tucson bleeds traffic across the border to Nogales(and points South via bus) and also to PHX.
Historically TUS has had a difficult time sustaining much semblance of broad Mexico service.

A320NK wrote:
Washington DC area

They serve IAD.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
mfe777
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:59 am

In addition to large city US markets, I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas markets near the border added. Volaris operates GDL to ABQ in New Mexico, for example. El Paso, Laredo, Corpus Christi, McAllen, Harlingen, or Brownsville are all potential destinations. Right now, the only one of these cities with nonstop service to Mexico is McAllen with MFE-MEX on Aeromar, but Volaris seems to be a better run airline and could give them a run for their money in MFE.
 
chrisp390
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:02 am

Any idea why they can’t make Canada work? Seems like at a minimum they could fly to YYZ.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:06 am

nomorerjs wrote:
klm617 wrote:
DTW is ripe for an airline like Volaris to enter the market. Could be a win win for everyone.


Every thread is DTW!

Emirates
LOT
SAS
Volaris

Does every airline need to fly to DTW?

He’s a tail chaser. Though he’ll deny it.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
trexel94
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:48 am

Does anyone remember this thread in regards to proposed cities for future service?
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1339261

The recent announcement may have something to do with it.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:54 am

How competitive are they against US carriers? Have they competed directly in the past and actually won?
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23634
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:05 am

trexel94 wrote:
Does anyone remember this thread in regards to proposed cities for future service?
viewtopic.php?t=1339261

The recent announcement may have something to do with it.


US-Mexico is defacto open-skies now. No route or number of carrier per route restrictions as prior.

Blerg wrote:
How competitive are they against US carriers? Have they competed directly in the past and actually won?


If you have not noticed US carriers are losing their historic place in Mexico and now primarily focus on beach markets. The spate of Mexican LCCs with their pricing pressure and point of sale advantages have definitely hurt US carriers in non-beach market.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
WN732
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:07 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
My contenders for new Volaris service based on lacking GDL service and their Mexican population:
Airport - Mexican population
SAN - 974,516
ATL - 346,332 (Delta would retaliate)
TUS - 333,040 (seems like a great add)
CRP - 264,039
MSP - 140,000
MCI - 137,982
OKC - 133,000
IAD - 132,276
PHL - 113,696 (AA might retaliate)
TPA/PIE - 102,366
BWI - 42,000


Mexico does poorly out of SAN. It's pretty well saturated as it is.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:49 am

LAXintl wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
Does anyone remember this thread in regards to proposed cities for future service?
viewtopic.php?t=1339261

The recent announcement may have something to do with it.


US-Mexico is defacto open-skies now. No route or number of carrier per route restrictions as prior.

Blerg wrote:
How competitive are they against US carriers? Have they competed directly in the past and actually won?


If you have not noticed US carriers are losing their historic place in Mexico and now primarily focus on beach markets. The spate of Mexican LCCs with their pricing pressure and point of sale advantages have definitely hurt US carriers in non-beach market.


I don't live in the US so I don't follow the market that closely. So basically it's the same scenario as with China?
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3252
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:14 pm

nomorerjs wrote:
Every thread is DTW!

Emirates
LOT
SAS
Volaris

Does every airline need to fly to DTW?
Another one of your irrelevant posts. Does everything thread have to be ORD!?? Does every thread have to be DFW?!? Sit down.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5408
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:36 pm

mfe777 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas markets near the border added. Volaris operates GDL to ABQ in New Mexico, for example. El Paso, Laredo, Corpus Christi, McAllen, Harlingen, or Brownsville are all potential destinations.


I would be surprised - cross-border flights get tagged with taxes and customs fees from both the U.S. and Mexico. Crossing the border and flying from Juarez or Nuevo Laredo can be cheaper.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5408
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Blerg wrote:
I don't live in the US so I don't follow the market that closely. So basically it's the same scenario as with China?


https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... r-2017.pdf

See the stats on Table 7. U.S. carriers do great out of beach markets CUN and PVR but struggle out of MEX and GDL. (And GDL is as big a gateway for non-stop flights to the U.S. as PEK.)
 
Blerg
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
I don't live in the US so I don't follow the market that closely. So basically it's the same scenario as with China?


https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... r-2017.pdf

See the stats on Table 7. U.S. carriers do great out of beach markets CUN and PVR but struggle out of MEX and GDL. (And GDL is as big a gateway for non-stop flights to the U.S. as PEK.)


Very interesting list, thank you. I am shocked at how bad the US passenger share is at most international airports. Seoul is just 14%! I guess US airlines are after markets where yields are strong enough to boost the bottom line.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5408
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Be a little careful with how you interpret the data. CUN is a destination (and origin, perhaps) location -- no carrier runs a hub there and 96% of traffic is on U.S. carriers. ICN has hubs of KE and Asiana, so of course a lot of people are connecting onward (in either direction) via the hub carriers. Look at a route in Table 8 like ORD-LHR where there are hubs on both ends: 67% U.S. carrier traffic and 33% foreign carrier traffic.

As for running routes for profit, yes, that's how shareholders expect U.S. carriers to operate!

Going back to the topic of Volaris, this should point to routes that don't have a big U.S. hub carrier on the other end (STL, MCI, BNA...). If Volaris tries MEX/GDL-ATL it's going to run into the twin buzz saw that is the Delta/Aeromexico anti-trust immunized joint venture. U.S. cities ought to have a big Mexican-origin population to leverage brand awareness and Mexico point of sale opportunities.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article ... nStateCity
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23634
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Blerg wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

I don't live in the US so I don't follow the market that closely. So basically it's the same scenario as with China?


US to Mexico and China are different for U.S. carriers.

For China, there is a limit on the number of frequencies that can be operated and U.S carriers, for the most part, utilize their allocations with focus on the two main cities Beijing and Shanghai. Chinese airlines have also maxed out their frequency allocation and can only grow their U.S service by linking secondary Chinese cities.
While Chinese carriers have managed to grow significantly and managed to change the pricing dynamics of the markets, U.S. carries for the most part of holding their own and continue to focus on the big PEK and PVG markets even with reduced profitability.

Mexico on the other hand is a defacto open-skies market (the updated air service agreement does not call it open-skies however), which allows anyone to fly virtually any route with only real bottle neck being slots for those that want to service MEX. The huge growth of Mexican LCCs and their push into transborder service has seriously eroded the historic markets where U.S. have long been strong.
Today US carriers strength to Mexico primarily is to beach markets (Cancun, Cabo, etc) as these markets have primary U.S. point of sale to U.S citizens, while Mexican carriers strength has been serving more ethnic markets on routes where the Mexican diaspora frequents.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:41 pm

PHL and RDU seem like they should have a shot.

SLC has tons of service to Mexico via delta and Aero Mexico. You can one stop easily to when the smallest cities with ease. I don't see that being too likely. Huge population of mexican-americans in SLC but they don't seem to fly home often or ever. Some drive as the cities close can still be a pretty safe drive in that area.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5027
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:09 pm

I assume there's a huge amount of traffic between San Diego and most Mexican destinations, especially larges cities like MEX and GDL. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned already by others up-thread, TIJ is about 30 miles away from downtown San Diego and it is now very quick and easy to get across the border and right into Rodriguez Airport! There are LOTS of flights each day from TIJ to all the large cities of Mexico -- and they are domestic flights of course -- so although there have been many attempts to connect SAN with those large cities, all have failed, including AM (several attempts) and Y4, as well as U.S. cx such as DL, CO, AS, etc. AS just tried last year (for about 6 months) connecting SAN with MEX and axed the route, along with SFO and LAX to MEX.

The Mexican resort cities on the Pacific, however, seem to work well from SAN. AS, WN and even SY seem to find Cabo and Puerto Vallarta (AS and WN only) as viable and popular destinations. I like to think that eventually there might be a couple more of the resort cities served from SAN, most likely by U.S. cx.

Volaris will not try SAN again, not in the foreseeable future. All they would end up doing is competing with themselves out of TIJ where they have a large and very healthy operation. I will give them credit for at least making a strong attempt at SAN to both MEX and GDL; they started service in summer of 2011 and stuck it out through summer of 2017! (That was about the time of the opening of the Trans-Border Bridge.)

bb
 
Blerg
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Blerg wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

I don't live in the US so I don't follow the market that closely. So basically it's the same scenario as with China?


US to Mexico and China are different for U.S. carriers.

For China, there is a limit on the number of frequencies that can be operated and U.S carriers, for the most part, utilize their allocations with focus on the two main cities Beijing and Shanghai. Chinese airlines have also maxed out their frequency allocation and can only grow their U.S service by linking secondary Chinese cities.
While Chinese carriers have managed to grow significantly and managed to change the pricing dynamics of the markets, U.S. carries for the most part of holding their own and continue to focus on the big PEK and PVG markets even with reduced profitability.

Mexico on the other hand is a defacto open-skies market (the updated air service agreement does not call it open-skies however), which allows anyone to fly virtually any route with only real bottle neck being slots for those that want to service MEX. The huge growth of Mexican LCCs and their push into transborder service has seriously eroded the historic markets where U.S. have long been strong.
Today US carriers strength to Mexico primarily is to beach markets (Cancun, Cabo, etc) as these markets have primary U.S. point of sale to U.S citizens, while Mexican carriers strength has been serving more ethnic markets on routes where the Mexican diaspora frequents.


The reason why I compared the two is because it seems that both countries have turned into niche markets for US carriers. Also, from what I remember reading on here, didn't US carriers suspend other destinations in China besides the two you mentioned? Just like they are being pushed out from Mexican ones?

Maybe the biggest question is what is the future of US carriers in Mexico? What is the likelyhood of them going back to cities from which they were chased out by their competition?
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Mexico and China are apples and oranges. Also would hardly term U.S. airline service to either as "niche" which means - small or specialized.

Each has its unique factors, and as far as Mexico, yes the rise of LCC along with opening up Mexico via the new bilateral has definitely seen U.S. carriers retrench from some markets as a wave of Mexican carriers (with their low-cost structures) have grown their cross border service.
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2525
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
mfe777 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas markets near the border added. Volaris operates GDL to ABQ in New Mexico, for example. El Paso, Laredo, Corpus Christi, McAllen, Harlingen, or Brownsville are all potential destinations.


I would be surprised - cross-border flights get tagged with taxes and customs fees from both the U.S. and Mexico. Crossing the border and flying from Juarez or Nuevo Laredo can be cheaper.


Agreed. It's too early to know whether ABQ is working, but at least it won't leak most of the traffic across the border to domestic flights since it is a four hour drive to Juarez. Any US city near the US/Mexico border is going to be tough for Volaris due to international taxes and fees.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:49 pm

nomorerjs wrote:
klm617 wrote:
DTW is ripe for an airline like Volaris to enter the market. Could be a win win for everyone.


Every thread is DTW!

Emirates
LOT
SAS
Volaris

Does every airline need to fly to DTW?

Seriously...? :roll:

He can mention DTW if he wants to.
 
mfe777
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:13 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
mfe777 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas markets near the border added. Volaris operates GDL to ABQ in New Mexico, for example. El Paso, Laredo, Corpus Christi, McAllen, Harlingen, or Brownsville are all potential destinations.


I would be surprised - cross-border flights get tagged with taxes and customs fees from both the U.S. and Mexico. Crossing the border and flying from Juarez or Nuevo Laredo can be cheaper.


Volaris is a low cost carrier, so their fares would probably be competitive with AM out of the border cities. Ciudad Juarez has good domestic service including Volaris, but Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Reynosa are small airports without Volaris. Plus, while the US side of the border in Texas is extremely safe, the Mexican side is not and many people just don't want to cross into Mexico anymore from Texas. Aeromar has served McAllen for years and has found an unserved niche.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Volaris looking to add more US cities in 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:23 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
My contenders for new Volaris service based on lacking GDL service and their Mexican population:
Airport - Mexican population
SAN - 974,516
ATL - 346,332 (Delta would retaliate)
TUS - 333,040 (seems like a great add)
CRP - 264,039
MSP - 140,000
MCI - 137,982
OKC - 133,000
IAD - 132,276
PHL - 113,696 (AA might retaliate)
TPA/PIE - 102,366
BWI - 42,000


CRP can barely keep service as it is, Volaris isn't going to fly there. I'd put OKC on that list as well.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos