777Mech
Topic Author
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:13 am

No confirmation yet, but it looks like DL will be running extra sections on the ATL-AMS route until further notice due to a lack of aircraft available. They will be flown with A330 aircraft.
 
JAAlbert
Posts: 1929
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 am

Tell us, what is going on? Is KL short on widebody aircraft or is its aircraft just in for maintenance or having the new plane engine issues?
 
ilovelamp
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:39 am

777Mech wrote:
No confirmation yet, but it looks like DL will be running extra sections on the ATL-AMS route until further notice due to a lack of aircraft available. They will be flown with A330 aircraft.


Easily confirmed by the fact that pilots are already picking up these trips from open time.


ILL
 
777Mech
Topic Author
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:03 am

JAAlbert wrote:
Tell us, what is going on? Is KL short on widebody aircraft or is its aircraft just in for maintenance or having the new plane engine issues?


I don't know, maybe someone from KL can elaborate, but to not have any spare aircraft in the event of a maintenance issue is quite surprising from an airline like KL.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:31 am

KL is not alone. Plenty of other European airlines are short WB’s, AY, IB, LO to name a few.
 
Flanker7
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:29 am

As of when because today's flight is operated normally.
Flying blue only if possible
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:58 am

Shaheen has returned few A332 previously operated by KL. Time to pick them up again perhaps?
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
caaardiff
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:14 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:32 am

It's a very vague post to make.
Can anyone confirm why they are short of widebodies? Is it maintenance/damage? Late deliveries? Crewing issues?
 
User avatar
SQ789
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:07 am

juliuswong wrote:
Shaheen has returned few A332 previously operated by KL. Time to pick them up again perhaps?

Possibly. But not confirmed yet.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
76er
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:02 am

More 332s for KL seem highly unlikely to me, considering the slot cap at AMS and the lack of love KL seems to have for AB products sadly. If anything, KL needs bigger widebodies, not smaller.
Btw, I haven’t heard about a possible frame shortage. The 744 phaseout and subsequent arrival of the 787s has been going forward pretty much according to plan.
 
777Mech
Topic Author
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 am

Flanker7 wrote:
As of when because today's flight is operated normally.


There are two AMS-ATL flights. KL623 (787-9) is operating normally. KL621 (772) is showing cancelled and DL9921 will be operating in it's place in about 4 hours.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/ ... 55-2-0-228
 
Flanker7
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:41 am

We had no word about widebody shortage. It could be that the 777 was needed elsewhere so the best way to fix that problem is to let Delta take over.
Flying blue only if possible
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 5671
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:49 am

76er wrote:
More 332s for KL seem highly unlikely to me, considering the slot cap at AMS and the lack of love KL seems to have for AB products sadly. If anything, KL needs bigger widebodies, not smaller.



They also operate the larger A333 version. They should get more of those.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:08 pm

I think it’s all Boston’s fault. :lol: :bigthumbsup:
 
KICT
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:06 pm

If they are short on widebody lift, why do they keep retiring widebody aircraft? They have retired multiple 747-400 and A330-200 jets in recent times.
People are saying. Believe me.
 
Beatyair
Posts: 855
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Move the “Joon” aircraft over there until the 787-10’s are ready. Or grab some Singapore A330-300, like Air Canada did.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Delta 9922 on a 333 is scheduled again tonight on the late departure.

Interesting to me that there is enough demand to run 4 flights a day, with DL picking up a KL flight given that Jan is a slow month.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
sandyb123
Posts: 904
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Weren’t Air France trying to of load a few A380s? AMS has 3 (?) A380 gates and stands so maybe this is a quick solution to both partners problems?

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club
 
factsonly
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:42 pm

This is not the first time Delta operates KLM services.
Similar short-term JV cooperation has been seen in previous Winters.

DL / KL operate ATL-AMS 4x daily, in winter each carrier operates 2x daily. In Summer 3x DL and 1x KL.

The supporting DL A333 service AMS-ATL starts on January 27th, 2019 as today's extra flight has been cancelled:

- 26 Jan 2019 Amsterdam (AMS) Atlanta (ATL) DL9921 N817NW — 16:50 — 20:25 Canceled
- 27 Jan 2019 Amsterdam (AMS) Atlanta (ATL) DL9921 N817NW — 16:50 — 20:25 Scheduled
- 28 Jan 2019 Atlanta (ATL) Amsterdam (AMS) DL9922 N817NW — 22:25 — 12:25 Scheduled
 
FB330
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Looks like KL621 is cancelled for most of the week with Delta running the 333 instead. Indications are normal service resumes at the weekend but it could just be the Schipol website isn't up to date yet. My guess is a short maintenance issue for the 777s is the cause.
 
JAAlbert
Posts: 1929
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
We had no word about widebody shortage. It could be that the 777 was needed elsewhere so the best way to fix that problem is to let Delta take over.


How does this substitution of airlines on a route work exactly? Must KL and/or DL get approval from the FAA and/or EU aviation authority before trading airlines on the route? How much notice does DL need to put one of it's planes on the route? I imagine DL must find qualified cabin and flight crews (and a spare plane or two) which must take a few days at least to organize. With the JV, does DL get an extra bump in income by using it's own plane and crew, or does it receive the same income regardless of whether KL or DL fly the route?
 
FB330
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:44 pm

At the moment, KL621 looks to resume on Thursday 31 January. Subject to change.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5183
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 pm

JAAlbert wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:
We had no word about widebody shortage. It could be that the 777 was needed elsewhere so the best way to fix that problem is to let Delta take over.


How does this substitution of airlines on a route work exactly? Must KL and/or DL get approval from the FAA and/or EU aviation authority before trading airlines on the route? How much notice does DL need to put one of it's planes on the route? I imagine DL must find qualified cabin and flight crews (and a spare plane or two) which must take a few days at least to organize. With the JV, does DL get an extra bump in income by using it's own plane and crew, or does it receive the same income regardless of whether KL or DL fly the route?


DL has 148 long-haul widebodies - I would like to think they keep a few spares. Winter flying sees relatively lower utilization. No, they probably wouldn't want to fly this for weeks on end using only previously-scheduled reserves.

The JV shares revenues and profits on a metal-neutral basis.
 
EarlyLateORD
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:34 pm

A friend and I are on KLM611 next month AMS-ORD in the 747M. It was my understanding this route was too switch to the 789, but is staying 747 for the time being due to cargo volume. Perhaps this is actually related to the widebody shortage?

Adam
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:47 am

SQ789 wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Shaheen has returned few A332 previously operated by KL. Time to pick them up again perhaps?

Possibly. But not confirmed yet.

If they do take them up again, the issue would be reconfiguration. Shaheen has 367 all-Y economy. KLM has C30 W35 Y178.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
jfern022
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:40 am

As it stands right now DL will be covering until the 6th of February. They will run the extra section DL9921/2 to cover KL621/2. KL has one 772 out for damage for a couple weeks.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 am

Does KL have more widebody aircraft undergoing mx than usual?
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
777Mech
Topic Author
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:01 am

jfern022 wrote:
As it stands right now DL will be covering until the 6th of February. They will run the extra section DL9921/2 to cover KL621/2. KL has one 772 out for damage for a couple weeks.


I'm interested to find out what happened to that 772. It's crazy that they don't have any spare frames in case something like that happens.
 
ARNPEK
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:26 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 am

Could be due to KL replacing the business class seats in their WB. Thought they were done though...
 
factsonly
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:05 am

The KLM B777 fleet consists of:

- 15x B772
- 14x B77W

Currently 3x aircraft (10%) are out of service (no flights reported on FR24):

- B772 PH-BQO
- B77W PH-BVI
- B77W PH-BVK

As the long-haul fleet must be somewhat stretched (winter maintenance period), several B777 routes have seen cancellations in recent days:
- AMS-ATL covered by DL A333
- AMS-DXB
- AMS-PTY

- AMS-SFO is operated by B744 the coming days, instead of B789.
 
User avatar
TOGA10
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:49 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:08 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
Weren’t Air France trying to of load a few A380s? AMS has 3 (?) A380 gates and stands so maybe this is a quick solution to both partners problems?

Sandyb123

I'm pretty sure the French union would not like this a lot.. there already is a big issue about how capacity is divided between the two of them.
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.
 
Jetty
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:
Weren’t Air France trying to of load a few A380s? AMS has 3 (?) A380 gates and stands so maybe this is a quick solution to both partners problems?

Sandyb123

I'm pretty sure the French union would not like this a lot.. there already is a big issue about how capacity is divided between the two of them.

:checkmark: That might also be part of the reason why KL has a small margin of reserve aircraft: French unions wouldn't like KL ordering more.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 pm

I don't know if the French unions have anything to do with this, I guess we will have to wait on some more sources to post on this issue.
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6425
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 pm

KLM schedules very high aircraft utilization, so there's not a lot of slack in the event that more frames than planned are out for maintenance.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Does KLM use Titan Airways when stuck?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
User avatar
FlightLevel360
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm

SQ789 wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Shaheen has returned few A332 previously operated by KL. Time to pick them up again perhaps?

Possibly. But not confirmed yet.


Isn't Shaheen out of business? United is gobbling up their 319s.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:14 pm

ARNPEK wrote:
Could be due to KL replacing the business class seats in their WB. Thought they were done though...


If i recall correctly they aren't anymore. Whole fleet is lie-flat now.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:16 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Does KLM use Titan Airways when stuck?

Not particulary... They could, they might, but they could just as well use HiFly or another.

However, using Delta is easier as it's a "free' sub as the JV allows neutral planes.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:18 pm

Jetty wrote:
TOGA10 wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:
Weren’t Air France trying to of load a few A380s? AMS has 3 (?) A380 gates and stands so maybe this is a quick solution to both partners problems?

Sandyb123

I'm pretty sure the French union would not like this a lot.. there already is a big issue about how capacity is divided between the two of them.

:checkmark: That might also be part of the reason why KL has a small margin of reserve aircraft: French unions wouldn't like KL ordering more.


And what would KLM want with A380's, even in a pinch.
The planes would offer first class & premium economy, which KLM doesn't have, and would be flying half-empty at higher operating cost.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
sandyb123
Posts: 904
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 pm

FlyRow wrote:
And what would KLM want with A380's, even in a pinch.
The planes would offer first class & premium economy, which KLM doesn't have, and would be flying half-empty at higher operating cost.


AF/KLM knows best, but of course they could be retrofitted to a KL compatible cabin layout. Despite them being fairly Y heavy they do have some premium demand out of Amsterdam.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:55 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
And what would KLM want with A380's, even in a pinch.
The planes would offer first class & premium economy, which KLM doesn't have, and would be flying half-empty at higher operating cost.


AF/KLM knows best, but of course they could be retrofitted to a KL compatible cabin layout. Despite them being fairly Y heavy they do have some premium demand out of Amsterdam.

Sandyb123


In a KLM layout it would have far too many seats to fill and they can’t use the A380 to haul cargo either which is a big thing for KLM.
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:06 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
And what would KLM want with A380's, even in a pinch.
The planes would offer first class & premium economy, which KLM doesn't have, and would be flying half-empty at higher operating cost.


AF/KLM knows best, but of course they could be retrofitted to a KL compatible cabin layout. Despite them being fairly Y heavy they do have some premium demand out of Amsterdam.

Sandyb123


In a KLM layout it would have far too many seats to fill and they can’t use the A380 to haul cargo either which is a big thing for KLM.


Especially if they are a sub-aircraft / interim aircraft as someone stated.
Plus, as many threads here have stated and KLM themselves has stated: They don't want/need A380's.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6425
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:52 pm

To synthesize a couple of threads... maybe they need a couple of fire-sale EY 77Ws.
 
Jetty
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:09 pm

seabosdca wrote:
To synthesize a couple of threads... maybe they need a couple of fire-sale EY 77Ws.

Or brand new 77W's, Boeing has short-term production-slots available and KL has similarly bought 2 new 77W's ~2 years ago.
 
User avatar
SQ789
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:02 am

FlightLevel360 wrote:
SQ789 wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Shaheen has returned few A332 previously operated by KL. Time to pick them up again perhaps?

Possibly. But not confirmed yet.


Isn't Shaheen out of business? United is gobbling up their 319s.

They are already out of Business. UA is getting their A319's and possibly A320's too. 1 of their A320's are already flown with LaudaMotion. I bet KLM is interested to lease their A332's which was once flew with KLM until 2016.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
FB330
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am

Is KL621 still expecting to resume on the 7th Feb?

Also, any news on what caused damage to a T7?
 
FB330
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Looks like Delta are running this service until at least Friday 8th February. The Schipol site showing both the Delta and KLM 16:50 departures on Saturday 9th. Wonder how much longer this is set to continue?
 
factsonly
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Delta has filed the following:

- 14 Feb 2019 DL8817 Atlanta (ATL) - Amsterdam (AMS) 333 — 22:25 — 12:25 Scheduled
- 13 Feb 2019 DL8817 Atlanta (ATL) - Amsterdam (AMS) 333 — 22:25 — 12:25 Scheduled
- 08 Feb 2019 DL8817 Atlanta (ATL) - Amsterdam (AMS) A333 (N820NW) — 22:25 — 12:25 Scheduled
- 07 Feb 2019 DL8817 Atlanta (ATL) - Amsterdam (AMS) A333 (N820NW) — 22:25 — 12:25 Scheduled
- 06 Feb 2019 DL8817 Atlanta (ATL) - Amsterdam (AMS) A333 (N820NW)
 
777Mech
Topic Author
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:32 am

Looks like KLM needs to order some more airplanes.
 
FrancisBegbie
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:22 am

Re: KLM widebody shortage

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 am

777Mech wrote:
Looks like KLM needs to order some more airplanes.


KLM is not going to order anything new until Mr Smith’s plans for KLM have become clear and accepted in the perpetual us-vs-them struggle between Amsterdam and Paris.

Dutch news floats stories of Smith and KLM’s president Elbers (popular with staff and arguably very successful) getting along very poorly. So there’s fireworks ahead.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos