Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boair
Topic Author

Antalya airport hit by a tornado

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Antalya airport was hit by tornadoes this morning.
12 people were injured when a bus was impacted.

Link:
http://www.severe-weather.eu/news/break ... o_GtZRew8g
A313 A318 A319 A320 A321 A21N A330 A343 A380 B734 B73H B738 B744 B752 B763 B77E B77W B788 B789 AT72 DH8D MD88 E145 E175 E190 IL96 F100 PC6 PA28

Q

Re: Antalya airport hit by a tornado

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:29 pm

I did NOT know that Europe could have tornado there! I thought USA only.

Another brand new 737-800 MAX minor damage. but they have only one fleet Max.

Q

Samrnpage

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:37 pm

Q wrote:

Q

Really? Theres probably more in Europe than the US. Alas not as big. Nature at its most terrifying. Although I was once playing football in a park in England and a mini tornado took my ball and launched it into a nearby lake.

Ryga

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Q wrote:
Q

It’s not Europe - tornados can happen anywhere if the climate is right for them.
AA AM BA BM BY DP DY EK MH PG RJ TK U2 VS Y2 ZB Z2 5J 9W

738 752 762ER/3ER 77W 788/9
A319/20/21 A332/3
E190
ATR 72-600
Jetstream 32
CRJ200ER

Yakamoz

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Onur Air Airbus A321 TC-OEB and Corendon Boeing 737 Max 8 TC-MKS has been damaged AFAIK.

leleko747

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Q wrote:

Q

At least now you know two things:

1) Tornadoes can happen wherever the conditions are adequate

2) The model is called 737 MAX 8 and not "737-800 MAX"

:duck:
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

Draken21fx

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:31 pm

Q wrote:

Q

Technically Antalya is not in Europe but rather Western Asia.

I think the weather has been pretty stormy around East Med the last few days but I would not expect that on the coast of the Med.

MSPSXMFLIER

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:55 pm

I just watched a posted video showing a few parked 737's and Airbus jets being pivoted as the tornado passed by directly in their path. Some ground equipment and service vehicles were tossed around and into some of the planes. Link to the video is below.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comme ... ya_turkey/

gokmengs

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:03 pm

Here is a raw video showing the damage.

https://www.facebook.com/10167555655843 ... 586736676/

Can we have one thread involving a place in Turkey without the useless argument of Turkey is in Europe or Asia please :)
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Hope the planes that are damaged are to be repaired soon.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

edealinfo

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:37 pm

gokmengs wrote:
H
Can we have one thread involving a place in Turkey without the useless argument of Turkey is in Europe or Asia please :)

So, what does that mean? Is it in Europe or Asia?

CplKlinger

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:40 pm

edealinfo wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
H

So, what does that mean? Is it in Europe or Asia?

And is it Istanbul or Constantinople? :stirthepot:

Samrnpage wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

Really? Theres probably more in Europe than the US. Alas not as big. Nature at its most terrifying. Although I was once playing football in a park in England and a mini tornado took my ball and launched it into a nearby lake.

No, there are definitely more in the US. Not boasting, fact. The US averages 1,200 a year while Europe averages 300.

tsra

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Looks to be an EF0 or very low end EF1 tornado. Thank God it wasn’t an EF3 or larger seen in my neck of the woods because things would of ended much worse. I’m glad there weren’t anymore injuries as was reported.

FlyHappy

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:55 pm

that is a very dramatic photo of the funnel beyond the runway.
I assume that aircraft in the lower right is taxiing, which had to be terrifying for the pilots to be staring directly at an active tornado, with its power and unpredictable movements.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:03 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
I assume that aircraft in the lower right is taxiing, which had to be terrifying for the pilots to be staring directly at an active tornado, with its power and unpredictable movements.

No, it wasn't. It was parked there on the platform (remote stand).

Here's a news article about it (in Dutch) including a video. You can clearly see this aircraft isn't moving, however the two aircraft parked next to it (not visible in the photo, but can be seen on video) are being blown away by the tornado.

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... ya-airport

admanager

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:32 pm

[/quote]

Really? Theres probably more in Europe than the US. Alas not as big. Nature at its most terrifying. Although I was once playing football in a park in England and a mini tornado took my ball and launched it into a nearby lake.[/quote]

No, there are definitely more in the US. Not boasting, fact. The US averages 1,200 a year while Europe averages 300.[/quote]

And Canada averages 80 a year. "According to Environment Canada, Canada gets more tornadoes than any other country except the U.S."

WayexTDI

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:46 pm

admanager wrote:
CplKlinger wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

No, there are definitely more in the US. Not boasting, fact. The US averages 1,200 a year while Europe averages 300.

And Canada averages 80 a year. "According to Environment Canada, Canada gets more tornadoes than any other country except the U.S."

Well, the US and Canada could be compared as they are huge countries; but the 300 number was for whole Europe, which is not a country but a group of, and comparable in size to the US or Canada.
So, all could be correct.

What's puzzling is that people were out there, not taking shelter, when the tornado hit; don't they have warning systems in place for inclement weather?

dangerhere

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:00 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
What's puzzling is that people were out there, not taking shelter, when the tornado hit; don't they have warning systems in place for inclement weather?

nah, I'm not Turkish but I'd imagine it's like it is in Europe for example. It's not exactly Oklahoma or Texas so there's no warning systems in place. I have lived in three countries across Europe (2000 km apart) and have yet to see a tornado in my life (or a snake for that matter). The closest thing was a dust devil I saw with my dad driving near Las Vegas. Even if you ever ready / see a report about a tornado / twister happened somewhere it's usually an extremely weak version of what you guys have over there.

As dramatic as this is, it would be a freak event / a once off.

FlyHappy

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 pm

dangerhere wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

nah, I'm not Turkish but I'd imagine it's like it is in Europe for example. It's not exactly Oklahoma or Texas so there's no warning systems in place. I have lived in three countries across Europe (2000 km apart) and have yet to see a tornado in my life (or a snake for that matter). The closest thing was a dust devil I saw with my dad driving near Las Vegas. Even if you ever ready / see a report about a tornado / twister happened somewhere it's usually an extremely weak version of what you guys have over there.

Well, I've venture to say that most residents of US & Canada have also never seen a tornado... or a snake! (outside of zoo/pet)
given that population centers tend to be coastal there's really only the bigger central cities from Winnipeg down to Houston that are in the weather band conducive to tornadoes. You won't find them too often in Connecticut or San Francisco. You could probably spend an entire day in downtown Chicago surveying people, and not find a single person who'd seen a funnel in their lives.... unless they convinced themselves what they saw on TV was a first person memory.

ER757

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:03 am

tsra wrote:
Looks to be an EF0 or very low end EF1 tornado. Thank God it wasn’t an EF3 or larger seen in my neck of the woods because things would of ended much worse. I’m glad there weren’t anymore injuries as was reported.

In the first video in the OP's link, there is one that sure looked like an F2 or F3 - it wasn't the one that hit the airport, but it looked pretty major, not a smaller rope-like one that shows up on the airport videos. Was more like the classic wedge-types seen in the Plains of the US

shamrock350

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:23 am

A tornado can happen pretty much anywhere but the United States has the perfect environment for the super destructive storms we’ve seen over the decades. The storms are not exactly uncommon in Europe but they are much, much smaller and far less damaging. Installing an early warning system would be near pointless and seeing as there is no onvious ‘tornado alley’ in Europe it would prove difficult finding an effective location for one.

With that being said, this particular storm in Turkey produced multiple tornadoes and two days prior a much larger tornado killed at least two people just south of Antalya. It follows days of severe weather which also spawned tornadoes in Greece.

WayexTDI

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:26 am

dangerhere wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Notice I said "inclement weather" and not tornado.

Since the winter storms of December 1999 (at least), Europe seems to be much more on the edge when inclement weather is on the forecast; and more prepared. That's why I'm surprised this tornado/severe weather was not taken seriously by the airport authorities and they allowed vehicular movement on the apron.

Spacepope

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:29 am

gokmengs wrote:
Here is a raw video showing the damage.

https://www.facebook.com/10167555655843 ... 586736676/

That “old” A321 (sub-1000 line number) looks to have some decent damage in a fairly expensive area to fix. It’s fate will be interesting to watch.
The last of the famous international playboys

N649DL

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:38 am

Draken21fx wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

Technically Antalya is not in Europe but rather Western Asia.

I think the weather has been pretty stormy around East Med the last few days but I would not expect that on the coast of the Med.

That explains a lot. Asia has way more Tornadoes than people believe. Bangladesh is it's own "Tornado Alley" with frequent and powerful tornadoes.

Europe, meh, not really known for it but it can happen. In high school in NJ I accidentally walked through a weak F0 tornado in November that drenched me head to toe and flew my umbrella inside out.

Dominion301

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:22 am

FlyHappy wrote:
dangerhere wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Well, I've venture to say that most residents of US & Canada have also never seen a tornado... or a snake! (outside of zoo/pet)
given that population centers tend to be coastal there's really only the bigger central cities from Winnipeg down to Houston that are in the weather band conducive to tornadoes. You won't find them too often in Connecticut or San Francisco. You could probably spend an entire day in downtown Chicago surveying people, and not find a single person who'd seen a funnel in their lives.... unless they convinced themselves what they saw on TV was a first person memory.

While tornadoes are most common in the US plains and Canadian prairies, they do occur in a much larger swath of the continent than that. For example last September, Ottawa and the National Capital Region was struck by six tornadoes on the 21st: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_United_States–Canada_tornado_outbreak. Some parts of the region saw many buildings damaged or destroyed.

As for a snake, I actually saw one (a small Garter) in a downtown Ottawa park two summers ago...go figure! First time I had ever seen a snake in an urban setting.
Last edited by Dominion301 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ORDfan101

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:25 am

FlyHappy wrote:
dangerhere wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

In Chicago we have twisters, just more to the western part of the city. I remember my school was closed because a twister damaged it

XLA2008

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 am

FlyHappy wrote:
dangerhere wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

I actually live in Moore Oklahoma, I can tell you now a good majority of people from the central and southern plains will most certainly have seen both a snake and a tornado! I can tell you for sure I regularly see snakes in my yard, sometimes in my house and I live in an urban area, and anyone and everyone in Moore will for sure have seen a tornado haha! I would expect far northwest coast and most of the pacific coast and desert states will likely never have seen one, but if they want too, just a short hop and a skip to the plains to come see one! Haha
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

bgm

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:04 am

leleko747 wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

At least now you know two things:

1) Tornadoes can happen wherever the conditions are adequate

2) The model is called 737 MAX 8 and not "737-800 MAX"

3) Antalya is not in Europe.

If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos