1836Sam

Re: Ethiopian announces Houston + more USA expansion

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:49 am

YoungDon wrote:
berari wrote:
YoungDon wrote:
Looks like a good schedule for connections out of LFW. Here's to hoping it works out, 3x weekly should be very doable.

LFW doesn't have much in terms of inbound flights from the region. Unless ASKY is gearing up to update its schedule, no short connection out of LFW to IAH exists (I would have expected this flight to be timed with LOS and ABV, at the very least.) Were it a morning flight out of ADD, it could have followed the same pattern as EWR flights, but aircraft would require an overnight in IAH.

Yeah taking a quick look at the LFW schedule it does look like most connections will be 3-4 hours. Not awful but not great either.

With that said, for someone traveling IAH-LOS, it gets you there earlier in the day than going through any of the European capitals, though not as early as connecting through Atlanta or JFK on DL. We'll see how it works out, but they certainly have the right airplane for it.

Impossible to optimize both the LFW and ADD connections without a very long ground time at IAH.

LAXdude1023

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:57 am

Pbb152 wrote:
berari wrote:
YoungDon wrote:
Looks like a good schedule for connections out of LFW. Here's to hoping it works out, 3x weekly should be very doable.

LFW doesn't have much in terms of inbound flights from the region. Unless ASKY is gearing up to update its schedule, no short connection out of LFW to IAH exists (I would have expected this flight to be timed with LOS and ABV, at the very least.) Were it a morning flight out of ADD, it could have followed the same pattern as EWR flights, but aircraft would require an overnight in IAH.

I’m certainly no expert on ET or ASKY ops, but as someone originally from Houston I just don’t think LFW is the best option for the connection point. I’ll be interested to see how this route performs.

From an O&D perspective, I agree. But LFW is the best bet for connections.
Religion is the root of evil...

LH658

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:42 am

How is Lome airport?

How it ET as a airline compared to ME3, and Euro Carriers?

n2dru

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:00 am

Any idea if ET would consider any other US cities?

LH658

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:05 am

n2dru wrote:

I can see SEA, DTW, and PHL next. Though How much traffic can get ET get? Their hub isn't DXB or IST, which is well placed compared to ADD.

n2dru

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:17 am

LH658 wrote:
n2dru wrote:

I can see SEA, DTW, and PHL next. Though How much traffic can get ET get? Their hub isn't DXB or IST, which is well placed compared to ADD.

Wonder if they would want to go up against DL and add ATL? I agree their hub isn't DXB or IST but maybe they aren't after just VFR traffic but sub Saharan Africa traffic as well.

soups

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 pm

Surprised not via ACC with the new venture ET been trying to set up in Accra.
They could do the same they done with SAA, connect local traffic via Africa world airlines.

Their LFW-LAX failed, i believed they moved some of their NYC to ABJ instead of LFW where passengers connect with Air Cote D'Ivoire.
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

behramjee
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:01 pm

This new IAH flight will be heavily dependant on LOS and a little bit of JNB to feed it.

For LOS pax they would fly via ADD-LFW to get to IAH whilst on the way back it is IAH-LFW-LOS with the connections available.

The sad part about this is due to the amount of back tracking involved from LOS, no high yielding J class corporate pax would fly them. Majority would still opt for DL via ATL or BA/LH/AF/KL via EU.

As I’ve always stated before if ET lobbied hard to get LOS-IAH 5th freedom traffic rights then the route would prosper but now with such a schedule on offer, I do not foresee this being the case.

FYI Nigeria-IAH p2p demand is greater than South Africa+NBO+ADD+DAR+EBB demand combined.

LH658

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:11 pm

behramjee wrote:
This new IAH flight will be heavily dependant on LOS and a little bit of JNB to feed it.

For LOS pax they would fly via ADD-LFW to get to IAH whilst on the way back it is IAH-LFW-LOS with the connections available.

The sad part about this is due to the amount of back tracking involved from LOS, no high yielding J class corporate pax would fly them. Majority would still opt for DL via ATL or BA/LH/AF/KL via EU.

As I’ve always stated before if ET lobbied hard to get LOS-IAH 5th freedom traffic rights then the route would prosper but now with such a schedule on offer, I do not foresee this being the case.

FYI Nigeria-IAH p2p demand is greater than South Africa+NBO+ADD+DAR+EBB demand combined.

You do realize Lome to Lagos is a 1 hr flight?

Though only issue I see is the Connections to Lome, as of right now Lagos and Abuja to Lome, leave from 1 to 3 pm, just one or 2 time daily flights. Leaving long lay overs in Lome.
IAH - LFW - LOS/ABV isn't a long lay over.

How does ET service compare to the Euro 3 carriers, and Delta? How is the airport, lounge, and transit in Lome?

I wonder how UA will welcome this?

If they couldn't get Lagos, they should have just stuck to Accra, their traffic between Houston and Accra, it nothing compared to Lome, though plenty flights between Accra, and Nigeria.

LH658

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:16 pm

They should realign the connection flights, out of Lome to make attractive connections making connections for 4 hours max both ways, should consider adding SSG and PHC.

1836Sam

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:55 pm

LH658 wrote:
How is Lome airport?

How it ET as a airline compared to ME3, and Euro Carriers?

LFW very new, albeit small. Perfectly comfortable. Lounge is perfectly fine. Think of a smaller UIO.

I personally think ET is great in J. ADD not the next, though.

1836Sam

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:02 pm

LH658 wrote:
They should realign the connection flights, out of Lome to make attractive connections making connections for 4 hours max both ways, should consider adding SSG and PHC.

Wel send them 5 or so more aircraft and I’m sure they’d be happy to oblige.

Don’t be surprised if they send you a bill for the operating subsidy for scheduling a flight solely to carry 5 people to SSG and other destinations as well.

You do realize you can’t fill a fleet of Q400s or 73Gs overnight with connecting traffic from a single 787, right?

behramjee
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:00 pm

LH658 wrote:
behramjee wrote:

You do realize Lome to Lagos is a 1 hr flight?

Though only issue I see is the Connections to Lome, as of right now Lagos and Abuja to Lome, leave from 1 to 3 pm, just one or 2 time daily flights. Leaving long lay overs in Lome.
IAH - LFW - LOS/ABV isn't a long lay over.

How does ET service compare to the Euro 3 carriers, and Delta? How is the airport, lounge, and transit in Lome?

I wonder how UA will welcome this?

If they couldn't get Lagos, they should have just stuck to Accra, their traffic between Houston and Accra, it nothing compared to Lome, though plenty flights between Accra, and Nigeria.

Yes I do know that LOS LFW is a one hour flight but LOS IAH doesn’t connect via LFW !

LOS pax flying ET to IAH have to fly LOS-ADD-LFW-IAH and on the way back IAH-LFW-LOS. Therefore it is the outbound sector from LOS which is the most cumbersome and detrimental for ET to attract decent traffic volume on this new route.

behramjee
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:04 pm

LH658 wrote:
They should realign the connection flights, out of Lome to make attractive connections making connections for 4 hours max both ways, should consider adding SSG and PHC

Demand from SSG to IAH is less than 7000 pax per year. This is not a good idea at all as your proposed new flight will solely be dependent on feeding IAH as there are no late night LFW Africa departures !

ET has a LFW EWR flight departing LFW at 1300-1400 which is the main departure hub wave bank so for IAH to do well it’s schedule needs to be similar to EWR.

berari

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:39 am

n2dru wrote:
LH658 wrote:
n2dru wrote:

Wonder if they would want to go up against DL and add ATL? I agree their hub isn't DXB or IST but maybe they aren't after just VFR traffic but sub Saharan Africa traffic as well.

SEA DTW and PHL? How? What feed and purpose would they have there?

ATL is a strong source of traffic for ADD bound pax, though I doubt ET would make it there soon. To date, ET's expansions in Europe and North America have been focused on Star hubs. With UA, what's left is DEN and SFO (LAX, if that's still considered a UA spot, didn't do so well.)

soups wrote:
Surprised not via ACC with the new venture ET been trying to set up in Accra.
They could do the same they done with SAA, connect local traffic via Africa world airlines.

Their LFW-LAX failed, i believed they moved some of their NYC to ABJ instead of LFW where passengers connect with Air Cote D'Ivoire.

ACC has yet to materialize on any level, let alone setting up long haul service with no feed. If ACC does happen, I would expect the long hauls to be to Europe and possibly JNB first. I also understand that their agreement with Ghana is to setup a local airline, and instead of AWA they'd use that to feed any future long hauls.

LFW-LAX was a last ditch attempt to salvage service to LAX. And it must have hurt. The switch was quick, and the traffic is just not there. ET had entered the DUB-LAX market with a big bang including support from DUB based entities. LFW doesn't have that, neither does West Africa.

NYC flights from ABJ were in addition of those from LFW. ET had operated to EWR out of LFW for a while, but the agreement with Air Cote D'Ivoire and its feed at ABJ made it compelling. I believe there's O&D traffic from ABJ to NYC that supports this traffic. From ABJ it now flies into JFK while LFW goes into EWR. Maybe one day we will see both going daily (wishful thinking of course.) I understand that ET had always wanted to go into JFK given the concentration of African diaspora around JFK but slot restrictions have not allowed it.

ET is not shy about moving services from one city to another. If in the future ACC grows to be a bigger hub with an ET-affiliated airline, ET will move some flights to it. If the IAD-bound flight frequency increases are of any indication, we may see ET further expanding to IAD and other US destinations via any of its affiliate's hubs.

behramjee wrote:

No doubt about LOS being a strong source of IAH-bound flights. However, I doubt that ET would sell tickets for LOS-ADD-LFW-IAH. What I expect to see, if at all possible, is for KP to have a second flight in and out of LOS that meets the IAH-bound flight at LFW. LOS is a highly competitive market with hard products on offer that are much better than that of ET's. ET can only compete on convenience and price here.

Re: lobbying I am sure ET has poked around and attempted to do so. Its large presence in Nigerian skies is already contested by locals, it'll have to tread carefully.

LH658 wrote:

I think there's more to come. Either ET is going to adjust the schedules or KP is going to add new flights.

ET's flights to USA via West Africa are just not right timed. Event the NYC flights arrive at ADD very late, not allowing for ample connection time from ABJ/LFW to Middle Eastern and East African destinations like they used to. And with delays at EWR mostly, the flights arrived at ADD late a lot. But I also understand that there are multiple constraints including making two hubs work, and slots at NYC.

Now imagine ET doing a triangle route to NYC (I am allowed to dream:) ADD-NYC-ABJ/LFW-ADD and ADD-ABJ/LFW-NYC-ADD. I am not looking to start the hot high debates and comments here, and if that's an issue, throw in ADD-DUB-NYC!

berari

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:30 am

A couple of things have happened:
1. ET has adjusted its schedule to Houston as follows:
- Outbound will leave ADD at 2145 as originally scheduled via LFW
- Inbound will arrive in ADD at 1430, meeting the afternoon bank instead of arriving after the evening bank with no prospect for connections
- Inbound will see flight arrive at LFW at 0500

2. KP (ASKY) has added three new weekly flights to Lagos that will connect with the to/from IAH flight specifically

3. No other new KP flights exist, only the new LOS flight is set to connect with IAH

berari

Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 pm

Latest changes to ET schedule see
- the postponement of the IAH route launch to December
- the three weekly flights to IAD via ABJ have been removed from the schedule, these were in addition to the current daily ADD-DUB-IAD-ADD service
- the service to YYZ has reverted to a B77L through October instead of the A350 we have seen for the last few weeks

iadadd

Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 am

berari wrote:
- the three weekly flights to IAD via ABJ have been removed from the schedule, these were in addition to the current daily ADD-DUB-IAD-ADD service
- the service to YYZ has reverted to a B77L through October instead of the A350 we have seen for the last few weeks

source ?

LAXdude1023

Thu May 30, 2019 1:29 am

iadadd wrote:
berari wrote:

source ?

Well, I know the one about IAH is for sure true.
Religion is the root of evil...

YoungDon

Thu May 30, 2019 1:46 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
iadadd wrote:
berari wrote:

source ?

Well, I know the one about IAH is for sure true.

Due to the uncertainty about when the max will be back in service I assume?

behramjee
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2019 1:49 am

berari wrote:

The withdrawal of IAD being increased is 100% true as I checked on Sabre and Amadeus today morning and the additional 3 weekly flights effective 20JUN-19 have all been deleted for sale.

This frees up 2 B788s for the summer season (1 each from IAH 3wk + ABJ-IAD 3wk) which will help negate the effect on the network of grounding 4 B737-MAX8s. Its much better upgrading some popular intra-Africa and Middle Eastern flights to the B788 versus losing a lot of money launching new long haul routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos