NameOmitted
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines declares turning point

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:32 pm

wedgetail737

Re: Alaska Airlines declares turning point

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:42 pm

I would guess that AS will not add too many new destinations this year...and concentrate on adjusting and maybe increasing frequency on current routes (which they have already done on several of them).

SANFan

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:40 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I would guess that AS will not add too many new destinations this year...and concentrate on adjusting and maybe increasing frequency on current routes (which they have already done on several of them).

Well, they've already told us to expect only about 2-3% growth in 2019 and between their new cities of CMH, ELP and PAE plus DAL growth, they may already be close to that announced growth rate. Of course they've also done cuts to the network -- at least 4 or 5 routes have already been chopped in 2019 -- so there still could be a couple of new routes yet to come this year. :crossfingers:

But I do agree that they seem to be continuing to adjust existing routes' frequencies and aircraft deployments and I too expect that to continue.

I'm excited to see if there are any surprises for us in SAN when AS relocates their op's to Terminal 2E next Tuesday, Jan 29. I think most will see this as an upgrade although I'm still not sure just how gates AAG will have access to in their new concourse -- whether it will be an increase in real estate or not.

bb

FA9295

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:01 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

:checkmark: Yes.
Once they start receiving their 737 MAX jets, then they can start focusing on capacity growth again. Are they still slated to get VX's A320neo order?

FA9295

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:03 pm

SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Well, they've already told us to expect only about 2-3% growth in 2019 and between their new cities of CMH, ELP and PAE plus DAL growth, they may already be close to that announced growth rate. Of course they've also done cuts to the network -- at least 4 or 5 routes have already been chopped in 2019 -- so there still could be a couple of new routes yet to come this year. :crossfingers:

But I do agree that they seem to be continuing to adjust existing routes' frequencies and aircraft deployments and I too expect that to continue.

I'm excited to see if there are any surprises for us in SAN when AS relocates their op's to Terminal 2E next Tuesday, Jan 29. I think most will see this as an upgrade although I'm still not sure just how gates AAG will have access to in their new concourse -- whether it will be an increase in real estate or not.

bb

Will Alaska be getting an increase in gates with this new location, or will it still be the same amount as they currently have? If they're gonna get more, then I could see some new markets added from SAN in the not too distant future.

sxf24

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:11 pm

FA9295 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

:checkmark: Yes.
Once they start receiving their 737 MAX jets, then they can start focusing on capacity growth again. Are they still slated to get VX's A320neo order?

Based on the public comments, I would be very surprised if they took the A320neo order. They appear to be happy with the leased A321neos though.

SANFan

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:33 pm

FA9295 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
I think most will see this as an upgrade although I'm still not sure just how gates AAG will have access to in their new concourse -- whether it will be an increase in real estate or not.
bb

Will Alaska be getting an increase in gates with this new location, or will it still be the same amount as they currently have? If they're gonna get more, then I could see some new markets added from SAN in the not too distant future.

See my remark above for my pre-answer to your question. Sources seem to disagree somewhat on which gates AS will get in T2E. The SAN.org airport announcement shows them getting 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28 & 30 as their primary gates -- 7 gates is less than they have today in T1W (& T2E.) BUT there's another gate down at the far (North) end of the T2E concourse, 32, which I assume will be available most all the time and will probably be frequently used by AAG. And I see no reason why AS couldn't overflow into some of AA's gates when necessary -- the odd ones on the west side of the concourse -- when AA is not using them.

I do not expect to see any appreciable slowdown in AS's growth at SAN. New frequencies and new flights on new routes will have to be added at times when there is no shortage of gate space. Our skeds are currently offering right about 50 daily departures and that number should easily continue to grow!

bb

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos