Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

edealinfo
Topic Author

Air India to Operate B787 17-Hour Non-Stop "Secret" Flight (13- Crew) to Bring Back Single Economic Fugitive

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:30 am

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 705811.cms

I guess the newspaper needs to explain why they are calling it a "secret" flight when they are making a public announcement to the world.

A colossus waste of taxpayer money if you ask me.

jagraham

Re: Air India to Operate B787 17-Hour Non-Stop "Secret" Flight (13- Crew) to Bring Back Single Economic Fugitive

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:25 am

NEW DELHI: Amid persisting speculation that India was preparing to get hold of a high-value fugitive, Air India is learnt to have got the DCGA nod to operate

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst

Think of it as an "Air Con" flight. Except that India does not operate dedicated law enforcement aircraft.

I do wonder why they didn't just charter a G5 or Bombardier Global Express for the flight. And stop for fuel in Italy or something like that . . .

OKCDCA

Re: Air India to Operate B787 17-Hour Non-Stop "Secret" Flight (13- Crew) to Bring Back Single Economic Fugitive

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:30 am

Most likely due to security concerns would be my guess. If you can avoid having to put a plane down with a “high value” fugitive on board, less chance of something happening during the stop. Even with all the security precautions.

9w748capt

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:38 am

I thought Mallya was still holed up in the UK? :lol: :lol: :lol:

KrustyTheKlown

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:53 am

An Indian "economic fugitive" in Trinidad and Tobago is probably Mehul Choksi, who was accused of a $1.8B fraud scheme involving Punjab National Bank.

aemoreira1981

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:58 am

What Indian economic future could possibly be held by Trinidad and Tobago to be picked up by India? Also, I didn't realize that AI required 3 complete pilot crews for routes like DEL-JFK, ORD, and SFO and BOM-JFK or EWR...a US carrier (specifically, United, flying BOM-EWR) would likely only require 2 complete pilot crews.

(EDIT: beaten to it---he's likely going to be flown ANU-POS to be handed over to Indian authorities at POS.)

Antarius

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:22 am

Isnt DEL-POS beyond the range of the 788?

aemoreira1981

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:24 am

Antarius wrote:
Isnt DEL-POS beyond the range of the 788?

Advertised range is 7355 nmi with 242 passengers. However, with just crew and police, it's basically a ferry flight.

sonicruiser

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:58 am

Absolute stupidity on the part of the Indian gov. Why on earth would they publicly announce this, it completely defeats the point of making it secret! Anybody with a pulse could look at a map and figure out what places are 17 hours from India and escape with more than ample time.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:15 am

OKCDCA wrote:
Most likely due to security concerns would be my guess. If you can avoid having to put a plane down with a “high value” fugitive on board, less chance of something happening during the stop. Even with all the security precautions.

This is not a dangerous fugitive- -- just someone who committed a white collar crime and probably didn't hurt a fly all his life.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:18 am

sonicruiser wrote:
Absolute stupidity on the part of the Indian gov. Why on earth would they publicly announce this, it completely defeats the point of making it secret! Anybody with a pulse could look at a map and figure out what places are 17 hours from India and escape with more than ample time.

Trinidad & Tobago probably already have the person under arrest or spotters ready to arrest the fugitive and they probably already have a deal with India to extradite him.
Last edited by edealinfo on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 am

edealinfo wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Actually, they don't want to keep it a secret but make it sound as such so as to get even more publicity. With elections around the corner, the government wants to show that it "captured" and successfully brought back a big-time swindler. The 787 allows for a dramatic photo op when the plane will return to New Delhi. Note that India has more 24/7 news channels than any other country on this planet so bigger the plane the more drama it will invoke. Probably, the only reason they aren't using the B747 is that it may not have the range. That would have been the ultimate reality show.

anshabhi

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:56 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
What Indian economic future could possibly be held by Trinidad and Tobago to be picked up by India? Also, I didn't realize that AI required 3 complete pilot crews for routes like DEL-JFK, ORD, and SFO and BOM-JFK or EWR...a US carrier (specifically, United, flying BOM-EWR) would likely only require 2 complete pilot crews.

(EDIT: beaten to it---he's likely going to be flown ANU-POS to be handed over to Indian authorities at POS.)

Elections are coming in India, and it would be a big political win for government if they bring back Mehul Choksi.

PM

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:21 am

edealinfo wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:

This is not a dangerous fugitive- -- just someone who committed a white collar crime and probably didn't hurt a fly all his life.

You mean there are never any victims in white collar crime?

Seriously?

:banghead:

anshabhi

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 am

edealinfo wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:

His fraud could be linked to the bigger bad asset problem in entire India. There's a general mentality among many corporates in India think that they can just defraud the banks and get away with it. Severe action is required in these cases.

Enforcement Directorate, Central Bureau of Investigation, Serious fraud investigation office and Income Tax Department are among the many agencies chasing Mohul Choksi

3rdGen

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:19 am

edealinfo wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:

A lot of white collar crime leads to financial losses for average people. The end result of which is suicide and ruined lives for many people. Why should white collar criminals and their antics not be looked at in the same light as violent crime? Especially if it leads to the loss of livelihood, life or both?

usflyer msp

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Strangely, I am in ANU right now and this made the news over here. The Antiguans are not quite sure what the big deal is - they have no plans on turning over Mr. Choski until their courts rule which will take a bit of time.

Slash787

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:58 pm

They can have a stopover in UK to pickup Mr. Mallya

What about Nirav Modi? is he also in Antigua?

jagraham

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:46 pm

I agree that some aspects of this are excessive. It's not like they are arresting a drug lord, terrorist, or foreign saboteur. No chance of a shootout, bombing of the plane, etc. The scale of the thing does suggest election considerations.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:53 pm

jagraham wrote:
I agree that some aspects of this are excessive. It's not like they are arresting a drug lord, terrorist, or foreign saboteur. No chance of a shootout, bombing of the plane, etc. The scale of the thing does suggest election considerations.

Thank you. That is exactly my point.

Many misinterpreted my comment on a white-collar crime to assume that the public is not harmed when I used the term to mean not a physical threat to anyone on the flight.

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Typical exit route for these crooks seems to be Nepal road border crossing, from there to Antigua and Barbuda/Dominica/St Lucia/Grenada. A few weeks later move to EU/UK and finally to NYC.
Of course, all citizenships and permanent residencies are processed way ahead of time.

Hope AI crew can provide service to the liking of these globetrotters.

Maybe he can plead the Judge to deny extradition stating the very fact that India is endangering his life by transporting on AI. There is a lot of evidence on a.net.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:20 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Maybe he can plead with the Judge to deny extradition stating the very fact that India is endangering his life by transporting on AI. There is a lot of evidence on a.net.

This is priceless!

Gr8Circle

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:56 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Maybe he can plead the Judge to deny extradition stating the very fact that India is endangering his life by transporting on AI. There is a lot of evidence on a.net.

Hmmm...you couldn't resist falling into the usual AI bashing, right?

c933103

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:59 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

That's why the media added quotation marks around the word secret to indicate that's not really secret, instead it's just a way the media abuse words to grab your attention

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Mods, can you please move this thread to non-av. This has more to do with Indian politics than civil aviation.

9w748capt

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Have you ever heard of the word sarcasm? dtw2hyd was clearly mocking all the armchair experts here and elsewhere who incessantly bash AI.

wjcandee

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:10 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Strangely, I am in ANU right now and this made the news over here. The Antiguans are not quite sure what the big deal is - they have no plans on turning over Mr. Choski until their courts rule which will take a bit of time.

When I read the article, I said to myself, "They're not going to get him." The more I read on this thread, the more I think that I was correct, that this is a stunt to show that they'll do anything to get him, because they know or fear that they won't be able to get him, at least before the elections. Fly the plane over. "Yeah, no, sorry, like we told you you can't have him yet." Bwaaaaah! We were told differently! We even sent this unnecessarily-large aircraft! Highlights everything they need to highlight.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

So, one is not allowed to crack a joke on airliners.net?

Bricktop

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:18 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Sense of humor. Get one. Oy.

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:23 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Mods, can you please move this thread to non-av. This has more to do with Indian politics than civil aviation.

To be fair, both the OP and the jagraham were focussed just as much on aviation aspects; it was hi-jacked into politics by other contributors.

Hence
jagraham wrote:
I do wonder why they didn't just charter a G5 or Bombardier Global Express for the flight. And stop for fuel in Italy or something like that . . .

I still believe that is a perfectly valid answer, even for a "dangerous" criminal.
Are they obliged to file a detailed flight-plan, and would that give "hostile forces" (whoever they may be) time to plan an ambush at Rome -Leonardo da Vinci FCO?

If so, the simple answer is to divert to Milan at the last minute, and fill up with fuel there.

From a purely aviation perspective, is there anything wrong with that idea?

anshabhi

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Gr8Circle wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Have you ever heard of the word sarcasm? dtw2hyd was clearly mocking all the armchair experts here and elsewhere who incessantly bash AI.

Ironically, dtw2hyd has been on the AI defending side more times than I can count :rotfl:

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Most AI 787 delivery flights were CHS/PAE-DEL non-stops. So non-stop is not the issue.

Give $100K to some bounty hunter, they will deliver him to New Delhi, quietly.

This round trip would cost $150K-$200K, assuming the high-value target still be there by the time AI lands at POS, with all this publicity.

TheLion

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:35 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Does it really matter?

We’ve had multiple threads moved to what many including me consider the wrong section recently, due to the actions of a hardcore bunch of complainants.

Essentially it’s a non issue that people need to learn to let go of.

Live and let live I say.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:20 pm

TheLion wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Does it really matter?

We’ve had multiple threads moved to what many including me consider the wrong section recently, due to the actions of a hardcore bunch of complainants.

Live and let live I say.

Isn’t the expression live and let die, with the latter quite a chance when flying on AI

anshabhi

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:24 pm

Any updates on this?

TheLion

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:56 am

edealinfo wrote:
TheLion wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Does it really matter?

Live and let live I say.

Isn’t the expression live and let die, with the latter quite a chance when flying on AI

I like the first point, but the second is just ludicrous.

VTORD

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:15 pm

It seems that the news was basically a red herring in light of Deepak Talwar's extradition to India. I don't think there's much more to see here. Mods, might as well lock this.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos