markl1
Topic Author

China bans smoking in the cockpit

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:10 pm

I just found an article published last week on Skift with a headline "China Tells Airlines to Ban Smoking in Cockpits During Flights".

I actually never knew that it was legal in China. Does anybody know, was it just a legal loophole or an actual problem? Did many pilots smoke in the cockpit?

Link to the article: https://skift.com/2019/01/25/china-tells-airlines-to-ban-smoking-in-cockpits-during-flights/

george77300

Re: China bans smoking in the cockpit

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:18 pm

markl1 wrote:
I just found an article published last week on Skift with a headline "China Tells Airlines to Ban Smoking in Cockpits During Flights".

I actually never knew that it was legal in China. Does anybody know, was it just a legal loophole or an actual problem? Did many pilots smoke in the cockpit?

Link to the article: https://skift.com/2019/01/25/china-tells-airlines-to-ban-smoking-in-cockpits-during-flights/

Certainly common. There was a serious incident that occurred because of it not so long ago. (https://onemileatatime.com/air-china-smoking-pilots/)

China Eastern has had many a complaint about it happening at the front galley, especially on some very long TPAC flights to the USA. The aforementioned incident got a lot of press so presumably they had had to crack down on the laws.

ac33e

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Sounds like it was time for that. Soon they should ban duct tape as a stopgap measure for engine related AOGs :P

airevents

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:46 pm

When is Portugal getting there? Every flight I took with Portuguese carriers in the last few years, you felt like sitting in a bar in the 1990s ten minutes after takeoff...

Varsity1

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:51 pm

UA bought some Chinese A319's that still smell like an ash tray.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

deebee278

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 pm

This brings back memories from my 'commuter' days in the early 80s here in the USA, two Pilots, one Flight Attendant. I was a non-smoking First Officer. Often, the Captain smoked and at some point inflight, the F/A would come up for a smoke as well. Anecdotally, I heard of a flight where both cockpit crewmembers were smoking like crazy and smoke was pouring from the bottom of the cockpit door. (pre 9/11 door, of course) The lone F/A came forward with a fire extinguisher, though it wasn't needed.

Later, when flying for a 'major' airline and smoking was banned, still smoking Captains would open a floor vent so the smoke would flow into the electronics compartment. So, I can understand why China has acted in this way.

Flighty

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 pm

When cigarette smoke gets in electronics, it does not come out ever.

markl1
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Thank you for your answers! I never knew about that.

JoeCanuck

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Welcome to the 1990's, China...! :champagne: :highfive:
What the...?

kiowa

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Flighty wrote:

And cream cheese never leaves the body-

deebee278

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:35 pm

markl1 wrote:
Thank you for your answers! I never knew about that.

One more thing comes to mind, sorry. At our 'major airline'. there were a few anti-smoking zealots who, when discovering ashes in the cockpit ashtray (that fixture still existed in the 80s) they would take them out of their holder and throw them in the trash. Soon, a memo came out that said that McDonnell Douglas charges us $110 for each of those, 1988 dollars, no less. Yes, things have changed in the last thirty years...

strfyr51

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Years ago the USA allowed smoking in the cockpit. I flew in the Navy and We allowed smoking in the cockpit of the P3's I flew on. Once we banned smoking on our airplanes at United? we found quite a few problems to be reduced or eliminated. Starting with the Cabin door seals leaking, Air conditioning failures, Cabin smoke and fire sensor failures etc.

WayexTDI

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:27 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
Years ago the USA allowed smoking in the cockpit. I flew in the Navy and We allowed smoking in the cockpit of the P3's I flew on. Once we banned smoking on our airplanes at United? we found quite a few problems to be reduced or eliminated. Starting with the Cabin door seals leaking, Air conditioning failures, Cabin smoke and fire sensor failures etc.

I remember reading somewhere that the aircraft that never saw smoking had harder time to maintain cabin pressure than those that were smoked in (the tar in the smoke would seal the tiny leaks); can someone confirm/deny?

SEA

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that the aircraft that never saw smoking had harder time to maintain cabin pressure than those that were smoked in (the tar in the smoke would seal the tiny leaks); can someone confirm/deny?

Considering all the terrible effects smoking has on plastics and other materials, much less your own body, that seems hard to believe.

sonicruiser

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 pm

This wasn't already banned?

aeromoe

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Why was it allowed in the first place??
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Slash787

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:48 pm

This is surprising, I thought it would have been banned. I would not have been surprised if the news came that Korean Air's CEO's daughter was smoking in the flight deck and going crazy, but well this is surprising.

DesertFlyer

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 pm

In the 14 flights I've had on China Eastern I've smelled cigarette smoke on every one of the transpac flights. I think the flight attendants do a bit of smoking too because I can sometimes smell it on them toward the end of the flight. But the fares are great...

dtw2hyd

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:55 pm

This ban may be a result of UBG211 crash final report. That report says the crash was related to crew mental stress and multiple cigarettes even on final approach.

sonicruiser

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
This ban may be a result of UBG211 crash final report. That report says the crash was related to crew mental stress and multiple cigarettes even on final approach.

Yeah, I believe you're right.

max999

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
This wasn't already banned?

A ban doesn't work when it's not enforced.

There are plenty of no smoking signs everywhere in mainland China, but they are often ignored because of the pervasive smoking culture there.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

lightsaber

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 pm

ac33e wrote:
Sounds like it was time for that. Soon they should ban duct tape as a stopgap measure for engine related AOGs :P

Yes! Speed tape and bondo is the modern approach.

Relatives of mine live 85+ if a non-smoker < 55 if a smoker, so I don't understand the need.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TSS

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

Cigarette tar by itself, unlikely. Cigarette tar plus the dust bunnies that inevitably adhere to it might slow down a leak somewhat, forming a very nasty looking but at best semi-effective blockage for airflow. If you've ever taken apart a computer that was used in a smoky environment, you'll know exactly what I mean.

I have, however, read numerous accounts on this site of how smoking on aircraft made it dramatically easier to spot air leaks in the fuselage due to a brown streak of tobacco tar trailing from the leak. At the corresponding spot inside the fuselage, I'd imagine there would be a semi-circular ring of tar and dust bunnies around the leak with a relatively clean spot in the middle where the airflow accelerated as it exited the pressurized area.

SEA wrote:
Considering all the terrible effects smoking has on plastics and other materials, much less your own body, that seems hard to believe.

Other than the permanent staining of some but not all varieties, what terrible effect does smoking have on plastics?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

zkojq

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Can you actually smell the difference between an ex CZ A319 and a regular UA one?
First to fly the 787-9

russyyz

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:23 am

My father was on a Boeing 707 in the early '70's that had a decompression. All the masks popped, and none of them worked because they were stuck with cigarette tar.
Quiet 2018: YYZ-YVR-SEA-SFO-FLL-YYZ; CLE-ORD-YYZ; YYZ-LHR-YYZ; YYZ-BOS-YTZ; YYZ-YUL-YTZ; YYZ-YYB-YYZ
Even quieter 2019: YYZ-ATL-HAV-ATL-YYZ; YTZ-YUL; YYZ-YOW-YTZ; YUL-YTZ

smartplane

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:31 am

Certainly breaches standard hull and liability insurance terms and conditions, but Chinese airlines use their own State insurance.

Bet they don't replace the on board filters more frequently to compensate.

Varsity1

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:49 am

zkojq wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Can you actually smell the difference between an ex CZ A319 and a regular UA one?

In the cockpit, you certainly can.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

TSS

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:05 am

russyyz wrote:
My father was on a Boeing 707 in the early '70's that had a decompression. All the masks popped, and none of them worked because they were stuck with cigarette tar.

???

Not doubting your father's word for a moment, but I may have to question his perception of the event. I'm gonna need a little more info on this.

Did the masks not fall from their containers once the containers popped open, or did they simply seem not to work? If the latter, might this have been before the warning "Rest assured that oxygen is flowing even if the bag doesn't fully inflate" was added to every pre-flight safety demo? If the former, might this have been before inspections and routine replacement of unused safety equipment were as stringent and routine as they are now, and might the masks simply have been stuck in position due to not being unpacked for years coupled with PVC's tendency to stick to itself over time? While the smell of cigarette smoke can permeate anything, tobacco tar in concentrations large enough to cause adhesion is extremely unlikely in a closed, still-air space like an oxygen mask compartment. In areas like fuselage leaks or electronics bays where large volumes of smoke-filled air are constantly moving through, yes tar does build up, but in enclosed spaces without moving air, it doesn't.

rbavfan

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:42 am

ac33e wrote:

It's not duck tape, It's speed tape. Duck tape comes off easier.

airportugal310

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:47 am

rbavfan wrote:
ac33e wrote:

It's not duck tape, It's speed tape. Duck tape comes off easier.

Not too mention a roll of speed tape costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$ compared to a roll of the duct tape!
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

zkojq

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:48 am

I'd never trust a pilot who was a smoker. China should become like the rest of the developed world where being a smoker generally precludes you from flying commercial airliners.

Varsity1 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

That's disgusting. :yuck: I suppose it's just like cars that have been smoked in where the smell never goes away, even after a deep clean.
First to fly the 787-9

B1168

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:41 am

Well, there is more to it: First class passengers will not exactly be flattered to smell second hand cigarettes on a long flight.
But if passengers can’t smoke for a reason and the reason can also apply in the flight deck (actually more so), pilots shall neither smoke, not only for the sake of passengers but also for the safety.

S75752

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Flighty wrote:

Trying to clean cigarette grime from electronics (every part of electronics... heatsinks, circuit boards, wires, everything) is absolute hell, and you can never completely get the odor out. Working with electronics at all with cigarette grime is miserable. I feel bad for the mechanics that have to put up with that.

russyyz

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:05 am

Thank you TSS. In reply:
Apparently the flight attendant (Steward back then) dropped his tray of drinks, grabbed the mask and told everyone to pull down, but then exclaimed they weren't working. Later my father was told it was due to smoke/tobacco. It was a lot different in those days, and perhaps some of the 'checks' you mentioned weren't done: the airline went bankrupt shortly afterwards. Donaldson International. It only had two 707's other than their Britannia aircraft from what I can figure.
Quiet 2018: YYZ-YVR-SEA-SFO-FLL-YYZ; CLE-ORD-YYZ; YYZ-LHR-YYZ; YYZ-BOS-YTZ; YYZ-YUL-YTZ; YYZ-YYB-YYZ

TSS

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:04 am

russyyz wrote:
Thank you TSS.

You're most welcome, Sir.

russyyz wrote:
In reply:
Apparently the flight attendant (Steward back then) dropped his tray of drinks, grabbed the mask and told everyone to pull down, but then exclaimed they weren't working.

This is probably so wrong of me, but in my mind's eye I'm seeing the least macho male flight attendant ever doing that in a wildly overdramatic fashion.

russyyz wrote:
Later my father was told it was due to smoke/tobacco.

Gotcha. Probably far better to say that than to say "Well, we knew the masks were there when we leased the plane, but we never checked to see if they actually worked. Those things don't go bad, do they?" or something along those lines.

russyyz wrote:
It was a lot different in those days, and perhaps some of the 'checks' you mentioned weren't done: the airline went bankrupt shortly afterwards. Donaldson International. It only had two 707's other than their Britannia aircraft from what I can figure.

I had never heard of Donaldson International, but they do have a Wiki page- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaldson_International_Airways

Apparently they only operated the 707s from 1971 until 1974. There's no mention of where they got the jets, only that they were repossessed by Pan Am, so I'd assume that's who they were leased from.

The phrase "Charter airline on the verge of bankruptcy" isn't exactly synonymous with "Meticulous and thorough maintenance schedule", but the two phrases aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, either.

in any case, thank you for the additional information.

September11

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:23 am

A ceiling fan wing with excess cigarette tar/dust can stop rotating
Airliners.net of the Future

TSS

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:10 am

September11 wrote:
A ceiling fan wing with excess cigarette tar/dust can stop rotating

What? Seriously? Come on, now.

Granted, the top sides of ceiling fan blades are God's own dust collectors even in a completely smoke-free environment. In a smoky environment like a bar (back when people could and did smoke in bars) ceiling fan blades will have about the same amount of dust buildup as in a non-smoky environment, except in a smoky area the ceiling fan dust is if anything easier to clean off because it sticks together rather than flying everywhere and redistributing itself in clumps as it would in a non-smoky area. Will an excessive buildup of dust in either environment make the fan blades less efficient at moving air? Yes, absolutely. But to suggest that a ceiling fan blade could accumulate so much dust due solely to the presence of tobacco tar that it would actually stop turning is absurd. Tobacco tar doesn't cause ceiling fan blades to collect dust, it just holds the dust together once it's there.

markl1
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am

S75752 wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Trying to clean cigarette grime from electronics (every part of electronics... heatsinks, circuit boards, wires, everything) is absolute hell, and you can never completely get the odor out. Working with electronics at all with cigarette grime is miserable. I feel bad for the mechanics that have to put up with that.

I completely understand it. I have seen some bad nicotine stains which are really hard to remove.

Just googled about the federal regulations in the USA and found operating requirements published on 2000. It seems those regulations still apply. I am not a lawyer and I do not know whole regulations, but as I understood, it is legal to smoke in the cockpit under some conditions.

The pilot in command of an airplane engaged in a supplemental operation may authorize smoking on the flight deck (if it is physically separated from any passenger compartment), but not in any of the following situations.
(i) During airplane movement on the surface or during takeoff or landing;
(ii) During scheduled passenger-carrying public charter operations conducted under part 380 of this title; or
(iii) During any operation where smoking is prohibited by part 252 of this title or by international agreement.

-http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/A8411424A9034439862569050061F24E?OpenDocument&Highlight=sec.%2025.1541

tapairbus370

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:43 pm

airevents wrote:
When is Portugal getting there? Every flight I took with Portuguese carriers in the last few years, you felt like sitting in a bar in the 1990s ten minutes after takeoff...

Amazing who two different persons have such diverse experiences.....

Every time I flew in Portugal, with a portuguese company or other, I never felt the smell you are refering.

Just the normal smell of..... nothing in fact.

seabosdca

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:48 pm

I think I'll fly DL if I go to China... :yuck:

SamYeager2016

Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:09 pm

zkojq wrote:
I'd never trust a pilot who was a smoker.

But no problems if the pilot is a drinker?

zkojq wrote:
China should become like the rest of the developed world where being a smoker generally precludes you from flying commercial airliners.

Really? I'm sure you can point to the specific regulation(s) that state this?

markl1
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:44 am

SamYeager2016 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
China should become like the rest of the developed world where being a smoker generally precludes you from flying commercial airliners.

Really? I'm sure you can point to the specific regulation(s) that state this?

”Alaska Airlines has refused to hire smokers and tells job applicants that they will be tested for nicotine use.”

Seems like it is just a company’s policy.

-https://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/08/business/companys-smoking-ban-means-offhours-too.html

c933103

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:36 am

Varsity1 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

That's known as "third hand smoke" and could be a hazard...
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

russyyz

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:01 pm

In reply to TSS: you are also welcome. A bit belatedly however.
"The phrase "Charter airline on the verge of bankruptcy" isn't exactly synonymous with "Meticulous and thorough maintenance schedule", but the two phrases aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, either.

in any case, thank you for the additional information."

gunsontheroof

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:01 pm

I'll be curious to see how strictly this is enforced. Seems like "look the other way" has been the norm with Chinese airlines for awhile. I smoke daily and don't get particularly excited when I'm anywhere where I'm allowed to do so inside--I'd rather step out than totally swim in what's already a gross habit. Can't imagine what it's like inside the confines of a cockpit...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

travaz

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:25 pm

As someone who never smoked a cigarette (or anything else) I was stuck in the smoking section on a Delta 727 in 82 from PHX to BHM with a stop in MSY because it was a last minute trip and had no choice of seats. It was horrible as everyone around me lit up as soon as the wheels came up. The risk of fire from improperly disposed smoking materials was a huge risk. I have done a lot of asia in the 80's and 90's and saw pilots smoking in the cockpit before and after flights. I can assume they smoked while in flight.

ozglobal

Sat May 11, 2019 7:38 am

I just returned to Paris from Australia on a QF points redemption ticket with China Eastern (forward legs were with Emirates). It was my first time on a mainland Chinese carrier, so I did some searches on their J class and it looked above average on the new 787's from MEL to PVG and the 77W from PVG to CDG. I then stumbled upon the OneMileataTime article on smoking in the cockpit on MU, the smell of tobacco smoke in the cabin mid-flight, the denials by the cabin crew whilst it was still clearly present in the air and the eventual report to the airline.

MEL to PVG was uneventful and pleasant enough.

This morning on the PVG to CDG 77W service, after sleeping for some hours I awoke and noticed something that smelt eerily like cigarette smoke. Doubting myself and thinking I must be imagining it, I searched for other explanations: dust in the ventilation system, smells from the nearby galley. No, there was no doubt, it was clearly cigarette smoke coming from somewhere on board. I then went to the bathroom where it only became clearer that some one was smoking somewhere on the aircraft and that it was passing through the ventilation system.

Having read the article above, I approached a cabin crew member in the galley and announced that I can smell cigarette smoke and that someone is smoking. This was met by immediate denials of, 'not possible,' 'no-one is smoking', even though it was still in the air, then the accusative, 'Where??!' 'Where??!' 'Show me where.' I said it may be in the cockpit. This was also met with immediate denials. I finally cut the conversation short and said, "Don't argue with me. I know what I can smell and I'll be reporting it, along with your reaction, to the authorities."

This generated a procession of the full hierachy of the crew calling by my seat in the darkened cabin to repeat disavowals of even the possibility that someone could be smoking, starting with the business cabin manager, then the customer service director and finally her a second time, this time with the captain himself, all trying to tell me of the impossibility of anyone smoking on the aircraft. The captain then fed me an alternative story that, as no-one is smoking in the cockpit, perhaps someone has an electronic cigarette and has smoked in the toilet without it setting off the detectors.

There was no further hint of cigarette smoke for the remainder of the flight.

My guess, someone, probably on the flight crew, thought they'd get away with it during the wee hours of the night with most people sleeping. ... They did not.
Last edited by ozglobal on Sat May 11, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

a320fan

Sat May 11, 2019 7:51 am

ozglobal wrote:
I just returned to Paris from Australia on a QF points redemption ticket with China Eastern (forward legs were with Emirates). It was my first time on a mainland Chinese carrier, so I did some searches on their J class and it looked above average on the new 787's from MEL to PVG and the 77W from PVG to CDG. I then stumbled upon the OneMileataTime article on smoking in the cockpit on MU, the smell of tobacco smoke in the cabin mid-flight, the denials by the cabin crew whilst it was still clearly present in the air and the eventual report to the airline.

MEL to PVG was uneventful and pleasant enough.

This morning on the PVG to CDG 77W service, after sleeping for some hours I awoke and noticed something that smelt eerily like cigarette smoke. Doubting myself and thinking I must be imagining it, I searched for other explanations: dust in the ventilation system, smells from the nearby galley. No, there was no doubt, it was clearly cigarette smoke coming from somewhere on board. I then went to the bathroom where it only became clearer that some one was smoking somewhere on the aircraft and that it was passing through the ventilation system.

Having read the article above, I approached a cabin crew member in the galley and announced that I can smell cigarette smoke and that someone is smoking. This was met by immediate denials of, 'not possible,' 'no-one is smoking', even though is was still in the air, then the accusative, 'Where??!' 'Where??!' 'Show me where.' I said it may be in the cockpit. This was also met with immediate denials. I finally cut the conversation short and said, "Don't argue with me. I know what I can smell and I'll be reporting it, along with your reaction, to the authorities."

This generated a procession of the full hierachy of the crew calling by my seat in the darkened cabin to repeat disavowals of even the possibility that someone could be smoking, staring with the business cabin manager, then the customer service director and finally her a second time, this time with the captain himself, all trying to tell me of the impossibility of anyone smoking on the aircraft. The captain then fed me an alternative story that, as no-one is smoking in the cockpit, perhaps someone has an electronic cigarette and has smoked in the toilet without it setting off the detectors.

There was no further hint of cigarette smoke for the remainder of the flight.

My guess, someone, probably on the flight crew, thought they'd get away with it the wee hours of the night with most people sleeping. ... They did not.

Good on you for bringing it up. People kicking up a fuss is a good way to push the cultural change that smoking is just not acceptable in such an environment.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

trent768

Sat May 11, 2019 10:34 am

I wonder when will they ban pilot from throwing out coke bottle from the cockpit? It has created a very lengthy and complicated journey for a particular Bushman in the past :D

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos