Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Why no BA to CMN?

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:53 am

I’ve always wondered why BA doesn’t launch CMN, being the financial centre of Morocco and one of the most important cities of the Arab World. RAM flies twice daily the route (CMN-LHR/LGW) covering the market and being a good choice for London-West Africa market (Guess Lagos, Accra, Banjul, Freetown & Monrovia are the main connections). Do you think there’s any chance of BA launching CMN? One possible reason of the New Route could be RAM’s enter in Oneworld, so it Would be a Hub-Hub connection

eta unknown

Re: Why no BA to CMN?

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:13 am

I think another question is why did BA stop flying LGW-CMN, a route inherited from British Caledonian. The RAM west African flights are competition for many direct BA flights. I have yet to hear anyone say something pleasant about CMN, but BA does fly LGW- Marrakesh.

davidjohnson6

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:54 am

Bmi used to fly London-Casablanca. Shortly after Lufthansa sold Bmi to BA, the route was dropped - I imagine there was a reason for this

SCQ83

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:04 am

Luisvalero wrote:
I’ve always wondered why BA doesn’t launch CMN, being the financial centre of Morocco

You mentioned it: "being the financial centre of Morocco"

Historically there hadn't been many links between the UK and Morocco. No major economic or VFR links like Morocco has with France or Belgium or even Spain, Germany or Italy more recently. In addition to RAM flying to both LGW and LHR, there is RAM also flying RBA-LHR and Ryanair flying STN-RBA up the road from CMN.

UK-Morocco is mostly about taking British tourists to the desert or the sea (read RAK or AGA).

eta unknown wrote:
I have yet to hear anyone say something pleasant about CMN, but BA does fly LGW- Marrakesh.

BA also started LHR-RAK this winter season. I am not surprised about this move since Marrakech is becoming awfully popular not only for European tourists but also in the US or Asia.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... -heathrow/

[email protected]

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 am

In 2017, only 44,000 flew LHR-CMN-LHR (i.e., P2P only), with a further 19,000 to/from LGW. So on a local traffic basis, LON-CMN isn't big.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

jubaexpress

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:46 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Luisvalero wrote:
I’ve always wondered why BA doesn’t launch CMN, being the financial centre of Morocco

You mentioned it: "being the financial centre of Morocco"

Historically there hadn't been many links between the UK and Morocco. No major economic or VFR links like Morocco has with France or Belgium or even Spain, Germany or Italy more recently. In addition to RAM flying to both LGW and LHR, there is RAM also flying RBA-LHR and Ryanair flying STN-RBA up the road from CMN.

UK-Morocco is mostly about taking British tourists to the desert or the sea (read RAK or AGA).

eta unknown wrote:
I have yet to hear anyone say something pleasant about CMN, but BA does fly LGW- Marrakesh.

BA also started LHR-RAK this winter season. I am not surprised about this move since Marrakech is becoming awfully popular not only for European tourists but also in the US or Asia.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... -heathrow/

I think the more general point was now about the possibility of BA connecting into RAM's hub at CMN for connections more widely into West Africa with RAM now joining OneWorld. I would think this is more likely than targeting O&D passengers. West Africa is a bit of a blank spot on BA's map, and OneWorld generally.

airzim

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:19 am

Years ago I flew BA 737-400 from Casablanca to Heathrow via Gibraltar. I think it was GB Airways, but operated like it was BA. I distinctly remember taking off from CMN and the pilot mentioning that we might not land in Gibraltar due to gusty cross winds and he’s make the determination once we got closer. In the end we did land in Gibraltar.

davidjohnson6

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Francophone west Africa (where RAM has strength) has relatively few cultural or trade links with the UK - this is not going to be a gold mine for British Airways

KWI

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:59 pm

As far as I remember, the BA flights to CMN weren't BA mainline. In the late 90's, it was flown by GB Airways (one of its franchise partners) through GIB. Later on, the flight was transferred to LGW, and was flown either via Seville, or Tangiers (I flew that route many times when I lived in Casablanca).

Later on, I believe the route was brought back to LHR and operated by BMED (in BA colours).

EvanWSFO

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:37 pm

Luisvalero wrote:
I’ve always wondered why BA doesn’t launch CMN, being the financial centre of Morocco and one of the most important cities of the Arab World. RAM flies twice daily the route (CMN-LHR/LGW) covering the market and being a good choice for London-West Africa market (Guess Lagos, Accra, Banjul, Freetown & Monrovia are the main connections). Do you think there’s any chance of BA launching CMN? One possible reason of the New Route could be RAM’s enter in Oneworld, so it Would be a Hub-Hub connection

Alliance hub-to-hub flights aren't necessarily required. S7 is a really good example. How many flights do they operate to other major OW hubs?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

TS-IOR

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 pm

IIRC it was a GB Airways route out of Gatwick mainly focusing on the VFR traffic. With RAM becoming a full OW member, there should be at least some code-share in the plan. Remember RAM recently operated first MAX and 787-9 revenue flights to LHR and not to Paris as many wanted it to be.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos