Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tokyo NRT to extend runway hours for 1st time since opening in 1978

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 am

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... FALOxq-uhD

Per Japan Times, Tokyo's global gateway airport NRT will for 1st time ever since its opening in 1978 extend the operational hours of its main rwy to midnight beginning from late October this year as part of efforts to boost services in the wake of Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics in 2020 next year, as the last town that had opposed the proposal finally agreed to the plan

Congrats to NRT on this hard-won result
Interesting to note how the extra slots of one more hour will be used on what routes to/from the airport

mrwhistler

Re: Tokyo NRT to extend runway hours for 1st time since opening in 1978

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:03 am

Doubt there will be too much demand except for a few LCCs. NRT is pretty much a ghost town after the 5-7 pm US-bound departure bank. Right now there is no passenger flight after 10:30 pm and only a handful of flights after 9 pm. Maybe cargo operators might be interested?

kengo

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:11 am

Extending the operational hours is good but it will only work if bus and train operators extend their hours, as well. Taxi ride to the major cities in the Kanto area is just too costly.

jfk777

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:34 am

41 years late, better late then never. Haneda is my Tokyo airport.

max999

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:51 pm

kengo wrote:
Extending the operational hours is good but it will only work if bus and train operators extend their hours, as well. Taxi ride to the major cities in the Kanto area is just too costly.

Delta FAs call NRT 'Not Really Tokyo,' according to my friend who works there because it's so far outside the city.

The distance from NRT to Tokyo can be 60 km depending where in the city you want to go.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

timeless159

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 am

Despite a good effort, I missed the 11pm curfew by a minute last year. It was an empty 747-400F bound for HKG. The inbound flight was very late so there wasn't much we could do about it. We were cleared to line up and wait just before 11pm, but then told to exit the runway as the curfew requires the takeoff roll to begin no later than 10:58. We left the next morning instead.

jupiter2

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:47 am

mrwhistler wrote:
Doubt there will be too much demand except for a few LCCs. NRT is pretty much a ghost town after the 5-7 pm US-bound departure bank. Right now there is no passenger flight after 10:30 pm and only a handful of flights after 9 pm. Maybe cargo operators might be interested?

No one is going to schedule anything after 22:30 if the place closes at 23:00, the extra hour will make a difference, even if it's just the domestic LCC.

RetiredWeasel

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:15 am

While this is a welcomed schedule change, allowing T/O s after 2300 has happened in my recollection at least twice. The most memorable one was caused by a fast moving snow storm that dumped 3-4 inches of snow around 1500. The very, very limited deicing trucks available could hardly make a dent in clearing the numerous aircraft that were scheduled to depart. The airport remained open all night to try and clear some of the departures. I was trying to jump seat back to the states and ended up dozing off in the terminal which they also kept open all night.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:40 am

It is my understanding that South Korea very closely followed the saga that was Narita Airport - the land acquisition over the protests of local landowners, the incomplete second runway, the curfew, the distance from metro Tokyo, the lack of rapid connectivity, etc - and made sure that their replacement for Seoul Gimpo would avoid these problems. It's horrible to be the "Don't Let This Happen To You" airport, but NRT has improved upon itself, and this is a nice further step.

mrwhistler

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 am

jupiter2 wrote:
mrwhistler wrote:

No one is going to schedule anything after 22:30 if the place closes at 23:00, the extra hour will make a difference, even if it's just the domestic LCC.

I mean, maybe. Where are you gonna fly that late at night? Any of the East Asia destinations that are typical LCC routes would have you land at 2-3 am. North American mainland destinations won't work - too late of an arrival. Hawaii might work. A few deep south routes could possibly work that late (SIN, KUL) but I don't think there's enough demand for more than one or two of those that aren't already served by NRT's current operating hours.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos