Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Thibault973
Topic Author
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 am

On March 31th, IB will launch a new route from MAD to XCR (Vatry), to be flown 3 weekly with the CRK.

Interesting enough is the fact that they are using the airport’s original name of Châlons-Vatry when Ryanair sells Paris-Vatry or Paris-Disneyland even though the airport is at a good 120km from Paris with no public transport and I don’t know anybody in it’s right mind that would use it to/from Paris.

Link in French : https://www.air-journal.fr/2019-01-29-i ... 10034.html

Right now, Ryanair is the only scheduled operator at XCR, both JetairFly and Luxair used to opererate from the airport before pulling out and Atlantic Air was based at the airport and flew a dozen flights a week to Algeria before going bust in 2017. Numbers aren’t looking great with only 61 000 passengers in 2018, a 45% plunge from 2017.

So what do you guys think ? This is really thinking outside the box from Iberia, will it pay off or does this has fail written all over it ?
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10708
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 am

Thibault973 wrote:
So what do you guys think ? This is really thinking outside the box from Iberia, will it pay off or does this has fail written all over it ?


Air Nostrum are well known for operating unusual routes when there are subsidies available - this strikes me as a prime example. I expect it to operate for however long they are being subsidised to fly the route.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
B8887
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 am

..

Interesting.
I've always thought that XCR is well located and accessible.

I know for a fact many people in the neighboring countries and France itself would use it if interesting. People already drive easily 1 1/2 hour to reach CRL and other LCC airports around. Plus onward connections in MAD..

Champagne/ Reims on the other side, Paris/ Disneyland 35 min away by HSR...

I'll be curious to see how it performs.

Regards.

B8887
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13201
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:18 am

Just makes you wonder what market they're really trying to reach.

I remember when Concorde was being retrofitted for return to flight, they carried out much of the testing and at Vatry, because it was so far away from anything that no one would care about Concordes doing a half-dozen reheated takeoffs in an hour. :lol:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Thibault973
Topic Author
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:27 am

B8887 wrote:
..


Champagne/ Reims on the other side, Paris/ Disneyland 35 min away by HSR...


B8887


Vatry airport is 25km away from Chalons HSR station which only sees 2 TGV per day anyway and still it takes 1h06 to get from Chalons to Paris. So that's at least a 2h journey.

If you want to go the Champagne/Reims route, which is 70km away from the airport, it's still a 2h train+bus ride.

Then you have a private bus that goes directly from the airport to Paris and takes about 2h30 to complete the 160km.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:13 pm

This is an 100% LCC movement by IB

3w doesn't target any feeder traffic in MAD and if I understood correctly it will only operate in the summer season.

LAX772LR wrote:
Just makes you wonder what market they're really trying to reach.



One have to guess they are trying to reach LCC market, can't think of anything else.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
lowfareair
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
B8887 wrote:
..


Champagne/ Reims on the other side, Paris/ Disneyland 35 min away by HSR...


B8887


Vatry airport is 25km away from Chalons HSR station which only sees 2 TGV per day anyway and still it takes 1h06 to get from Chalons to Paris. So that's at least a 2h journey.

If you want to go the Champagne/Reims route, which is 70km away from the airport, it's still a 2h train+bus ride.

Then you have a private bus that goes directly from the airport to Paris and takes about 2h30 to complete the 160km.


Yeah, not sure what B8887 is thinking - CDG is a 10 minute train ride from Disneyland Paris, Vatry is way, way more inconvenient.

What it could be good for is tourists visiting the Champagne region, although not sure why people would take this instead of the many daily services right into Paris and training or driving out.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10109
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:57 pm

IIRC XCR is predominantly an outbound airport. People from Madrid are not going to fly to XCR to get to Paris but people from that region of France may not want to have to schlep to Paris every time they need to fly somewhere.
 
Thibault973
Topic Author
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
This is an 100% LCC movement by IB

3w doesn't target any feeder traffic in MAD and if I understood correctly it will only operate in the summer season.

LAX772LR wrote:
Just makes you wonder what market they're really trying to reach.



One have to guess they are trying to reach LCC market, can't think of anything else.


It’s actually year round, 3 weekly in the summer months, then 2 the rest of the year.

The airport manager said they signed a 3 years (!!) deal with IB.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:38 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Just makes you wonder what market they're really trying to reach.


Air Nostrum (Iberia Regional) is a completely independent company from Iberia or IAG. They are well known to receive subsidies from desperate airports. For instance in Spain they get about 25 EUR per seat in VGO and that made Ryanair angry, and FR menaced the city to pull out of Vigo unless their subsidies were matched.

I suspect those flights will be geared towards Spanish tourists going to Eurodisney in all-inclusive packages that will be bussed / shuttled directly from this small airport to Eurodisney. The three airports in Paris (CDG, ORY, BVA) are overall disgusting, unpleasant, overcrowded and even dangerous (e.g. quite a few homeless people in CDG).

So 1) that empty airport gets some "tourists", 2) Air Nostrum gets some money and 3) those tourists get to Eurodisney from a hassle-free airport. Everybody wins.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Vatry to Disneyland is 130 km and takes 1h45
CDG to Disneyland is 50 km and take 40 mins

Vatry has plenty of space for large buses to wait for passengers but from the passenger perspective, it's not the most compelling airport logistically to reach Disneyland.
 
User avatar
MrBren
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:44 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Landing in Vatry to go to Disneyland is simply insane.
 
LupineChemist
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:21 pm

I'm wondering if they got a contract from a tour operator for Disneyland and are just using it to keep costs down and selling whatever extra seats they can. I mean, it could be pretty convenient for a fairly large area if you want to avoid Paris and its traffic.
 
B8887
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:42 pm

I've been posting less and less because I don't want to pick arguments, but just to conclude. Sorry about the inconvenience.

I just added the populations of the major cities within a 1 1/2 hour drive from XCR.

Reims, Troyea, Vitry, St Dizier etc..t's over 500 000 people. Not bad.

Maybe 40 or 50 souls may be tempted by a city break in MAD in all that 2 or three times a week.

And, yes, I'm aware that this has written "We Are Subsidized and We Like It" all over it.

Combined with some ads in the local press.
Why not. At least they tried.

Feel free to delete my posts.

Regards.

B8887
 
Kadish
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Not the route that many people would have thought but at least is a change in IB opening weird routes taking into account the conservative they are.
I wish them luck
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Kadish wrote:
Not the route that many people would have thought but at least is a change in IB opening weird routes taking into account the conservative they are.
I wish them luck


Air Nostrum is neither Iberia nor IAG.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4235
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:15 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Air Nostrum is neither Iberia nor IAG.


True, but the flight is bookable through Iberia and part of the Iberia route network. Air Nostrum doesn't sell it's own tickets, they leave that to others.

For this flight Madrid is not a dead end, they offer connections there. It's possible to book Iberia from New York to Vatry through Madrid for example. New York - Madrid is operated by Iberia, Madrid - Vatry is operated by Air Nostrum. But it's on one single ticket.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10708
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Kadish wrote:
Not the route that many people would have thought but at least is a change in IB opening weird routes taking into account the conservative they are.
I wish them luck


Air Nostrum is neither Iberia nor IAG.


Actually, as a franchisee operating Iberia Regional services, they are Iberia. The two parties engage in mutual decision making on routes, frequencies and equipment to maximise the return to both parties.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
Kadish
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:10 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Kadish wrote:
Not the route that many people would have thought but at least is a change in IB opening weird routes taking into account the conservative they are.
I wish them luck


Air Nostrum is neither Iberia nor IAG.

Technically speaking Air Nostrum is not IB, we all know that, but do you think Air Nostrum opens its routes without consulting IB?
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:13 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
Actually, as a franchisee operating Iberia Regional services, they are Iberia. The two parties engage in mutual decision making on routes, frequencies and equipment to maximise the return to both parties.


They are not Iberia, technically or not.

Btw there are quite a few non-Madrid routes where Vueling competes directly with YW. So let's say Air Nostrum starts a route, Vueling will start the same route to "out" YW. This is quite common in transversal routes in Spain (e.g. Northern Spain - Islands / Mediterranean).
 
dfdubflyer
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:23 am

Perhaps it seems random now (okay for sure does) but maybe IB group (inc. Air Nostrum) has decided there is opportunity in targeting secondary/tertiary French airports to their substantial MAD connection opportunities to sunny destinations.

As others have stated VY frequently makes moves in concert. you’re a smaller French market you’ve suddenly got a decent proposition if you’ve got flights 3x to MAD, 3x to FCO, and 3x to BCN, and perhaps you start moving into the Avios ecosphere. If there is - in fact - a larger strategy here perhaps it could be likened to KLM and regional U.K.
 
Kadish
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:48 am

SCQ83 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Actually, as a franchisee operating Iberia Regional services, they are Iberia. The two parties engage in mutual decision making on routes, frequencies and equipment to maximise the return to both parties.


They are not Iberia, technically or not.

Btw there are quite a few non-Madrid routes where Vueling competes directly with YW. So let's say Air Nostrum starts a route, Vueling will start the same route to "out" YW. This is quite common in transversal routes in Spain (e.g. Northern Spain - Islands / Mediterranean).


We all know that...but Air Nostrum as I said and you are reluctant to admit it Is that they are under IBs umbrella, they open routes cause IB tells/ask/let them do it and Air Nostrum wouldnt exist the way they does if it were not cause IB deal.

But yes you are right, they are owned by different people.
 
Kadish
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:50 am

SCQ83 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Actually, as a franchisee operating Iberia Regional services, they are Iberia. The two parties engage in mutual decision making on routes, frequencies and equipment to maximise the return to both parties.


They are not Iberia, technically or not.

Btw there are quite a few non-Madrid routes where Vueling competes directly with YW. So let's say Air Nostrum starts a route, Vueling will start the same route to "out" YW. This is quite common in transversal routes in Spain (e.g. Northern Spain - Islands / Mediterranean).


We all know that...but Air Nostrum as I said and you are reluctant to admit it Is that they are under IBs umbrella, they open routes cause IB tells/ask/let them do it and Air Nostrum wouldnt exist the way they does if it were not cause IB deal.

But yes you are right, they are owned by different people.
 
User avatar
euroflyer
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:20 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 am

They are roughly a yearly 1.2 millions Spanish visiting Disneyland, they are the 2nd largest foreign visitor origin. I guess it's not far fetched to assume that most of them come by plane, so if you plan some good partnerships with travel agencies throughout Spain (especially in cities linked to MAD but not to PAR) and dedicated connections between the airport and the resort, it can create a sufficient level of demand.
I'm not so sure why they keep 2 out of the 3 frequencies in low season though, this is going to hurt
Born to fly !
 
a350lover
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 am

dfdubflyer wrote:
Perhaps it seems random now (okay for sure does) but maybe IB group (inc. Air Nostrum) has decided there is opportunity in targeting secondary/tertiary French airports to their substantial MAD connection opportunities to sunny destinations.


I guess this has been part of the ANE strategy over the past. However, one would suspect there are larger markets than Vatry yet to be served. It isn't hard to believe that Air Nostrum (or ultimately Iberia) have decided to serve a market through travel agencies okay, but also launch flights to Vatry because of subsidies. The reason why they would be forced to fly there year round probes that. The only year round service from the airport is Porto by Ryanair, I believe also RAK. IB might want to attract some Portuguese travelers to fly through MAD to either Lisbon, Porto and Faro which are the only cities link to their hub in MAD?

In the past, Air Nostrum served some larger markets, namely Clermont Ferrand, Perpignan, etc. Before Vatry they could have added much more realistic markets like Reims, Limoges, Carcassone, Brest, Rennes.... but Vatry?
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10708
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am

SCQ83 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Actually, as a franchisee operating Iberia Regional services, they are Iberia. The two parties engage in mutual decision making on routes, frequencies and equipment to maximise the return to both parties.


They are not Iberia, technically or not.


This is incorrect. The ownership might be separate, however they have a commercial agreement to be part of Iberia and represent Iberia. In their own words, Air Nostrum "operates as part of the Iberia Group under the brand name of Iberia Regional Air Nostrum".

Vueling's parent company is IAG, not Iberia. They are free to compete, but in practice there are few routes where they do directly compete. What you do also see is routes transferring up / down between the companies.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
tobsw
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:57 am

Air Nostrum has the liberty to fly to and from they want. The decision is on Air Nostrum, Iberia has nothing to say (they do agree however, in swapping established routes between IB/I2 and Air Nostrum). Iberia just sells Air Nostrum tickets under the franchise agreement.

Nevertheless, this new route was/is motivated by subsidies.

Air Nostrum also operates flights under leasing agreement with other airlines, like Binter, Brussels Airlines, Adria and few others.
 
Thibault973
Topic Author
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:41 pm

Well I don't know who is who and what is what but in the press release it says Iberia. When interviewed the airport's manager talked about Iberia, flight is bookable on iberia.com and shows up as "Iberia operated byt Air Nostrum" on google flights.
 
Thibault973
Topic Author
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:44 pm

a350lover wrote:

In the past, Air Nostrum served some larger markets, namely Clermont Ferrand, Perpignan, etc. Before Vatry they could have added much more realistic markets like Reims, Limoges, Carcassone, Brest, Rennes.... but Vatry?


They also just dropped Biarritz (which really didn't make sense in the fist place since San Sebastian is just 35 km away with 6 daily IB flights to MAD. Don't know what they were thinking with this one.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 pm

euroflyer wrote:
They are roughly a yearly 1.2 millions Spanish visiting Disneyland, they are the 2nd largest foreign visitor origin. I guess it's not far fetched to assume that most of them come by plane, so if you plan some good partnerships with travel agencies throughout Spain (especially in cities linked to MAD but not to PAR) and dedicated connections between the airport and the resort, it can create a sufficient level of demand.
I'm not so sure why they keep 2 out of the 3 frequencies in low season though, this is going to hurt


Never been to Eurodisney myself, but I guess it is a relatively year-round destination. I guess the main issue is school days.

Btw Iberia.com does not allow to book connections for this flight (only MAD-XCR). I tried XCR-JFK or XCR-SCQ and it shows no availability. So there is no discussion this is only about local PAX (travelling to Eurodisney).
 
alric8
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:01 pm

Really there are two scenarios which causes this flight to be successful:

1. Vatry becomes well advertised as a kind of 'Gateway to Disneyland' airport which means many passengers heading there decide to come via Vatry. Currently XCR is nowhere near busy enough or well connected enough for that though.
2. This flight becomes one of the cheapest flights from Madrid to Paris so it competes with the ULCCs.

Admittedly a couple of CRJ1000s a week is hardly a risky flight to start, but I just don't see why anyone is going to end up flying on this.
 
lowfareair
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm

alric8 wrote:
Really there are two scenarios which causes this flight to be successful:

1. Vatry becomes well advertised as a kind of 'Gateway to Disneyland' airport which means many passengers heading there decide to come via Vatry. Currently XCR is nowhere near busy enough or well connected enough for that though.


I can't see this happening as 1) It is nowhere near Disneyland and 2) CDG has much better connectivity to Disneyland. It's like calling SWF the gateway to Times Square.
 
Kadish
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:46 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
euroflyer wrote:
They are roughly a yearly 1.2 millions Spanish visiting Disneyland, they are the 2nd largest foreign visitor origin. I guess it's not far fetched to assume that most of them come by plane, so if you plan some good partnerships with travel agencies throughout Spain (especially in cities linked to MAD but not to PAR) and dedicated connections between the airport and the resort, it can create a sufficient level of demand.
I'm not so sure why they keep 2 out of the 3 frequencies in low season though, this is going to hurt


Never been to Eurodisney myself, but I guess it is a relatively year-round destination. I guess the main issue is school days.

Btw Iberia.com does not allow to book connections for this flight (only MAD-XCR). I tried XCR-JFK or XCR-SCQ and it shows no availability. So there is no discussion this is only about local PAX (travelling to Eurodisney).


I ve tried Vatry to London and is fully bookable.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:15 pm

lowfareair wrote:
alric8 wrote:
Really there are two scenarios which causes this flight to be successful:
1. Vatry becomes well advertised as a kind of 'Gateway to Disneyland' airport which means many passengers heading there decide to come via Vatry.

I can't see this happening as 1) It is nowhere near Disneyland and 2) CDG has much better connectivity to Disneyland. It's like calling SWF the gateway to Times Square.

You are making the dangerous assumption that the general public know exactly where XCR is.
Ryanair sell it as "Paris-Vatry" precisely because the opposite is more often true.

As I pointed out in a recent thread; they are dealing with a modern generation who use sat-navs for everything, and view maps as old-fashioned.

Until word spreads on social media pointing out the inconvenient aspects of Vatry, only av geeks and smarter travellers will see these problems.
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
alric8
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:23 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
alric8 wrote:
Really there are two scenarios which causes this flight to be successful:
1. Vatry becomes well advertised as a kind of 'Gateway to Disneyland' airport which means many passengers heading there decide to come via Vatry.

I can't see this happening as 1) It is nowhere near Disneyland and 2) CDG has much better connectivity to Disneyland. It's like calling SWF the gateway to Times Square.

You are making the dangerous assumption that the general public know exactly where XCR is.
Ryanair sell it as "Paris-Vatry" precisely because the opposite is more often true.

As I pointed out in a recent thread; they are dealing with a modern generation who use sat-navs for everything, and view maps as old-fashioned.

Until word spreads on social media pointing out the inconvenient aspects of Vatry, only av geeks and smarter travellers will see these problems.

That's my second point. Vatry is a Paris airport; you can search up flights from Porto to Paris and flights to XCR will turn up, so as far as far too many travellers will see they are flying to Paris. Most passengers book flights almost entirely based on the base price of the flight. So if an airline can offer flights which technically cost 20 euros but don't and sort of flies to Paris but actually really doesn't then the passengers will come.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
You are making the dangerous assumption that the general public know exactly where XCR is.
Ryanair sell it as "Paris-Vatry" precisely because the opposite is more often true..


It is clear that Air Nostrum is not trying to sell Vatry as Paris. They name it as "Chalons Vatry Champagne region (XCR)".

In any case most posters here just forget how inconvenient CDG is in terms of access (e.g. by coach). Btw Iberia flies MAD-ORY (although there is a daily MAD-CDG on Vueling). From ORY to Disneyland is quite a long way, specially if you are stuck in Paris traffic.

I see the target as families that (in some cases) rarely travel or are used to large metropolis (MAD is the reference airport now for pretty much anywhere in Spain other than the coastal regions; so from a family from Zamora or Cuenca, MAD is the airport to fly from). So XCR is far more relaxing even if it takes 45 minutes longer by coach than flying to ORY. It is not the end of the world.
 
Thibault973
Topic Author
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:41 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
You are making the dangerous assumption that the general public know exactly where XCR is.
Ryanair sell it as "Paris-Vatry" precisely because the opposite is more often true..


It is clear that Air Nostrum is not trying to sell Vatry as Paris. They name it as "Chalons Vatry Champagne region (XCR)".

In any case most posters here just forget how inconvenient CDG is in terms of access (e.g. by coach). Btw Iberia flies MAD-ORY (although there is a daily MAD-CDG on Vueling). From ORY to Disneyland is quite a long way, specially if you are stuck in Paris traffic.

I see the target as families that (in some cases) rarely travel or are used to large metropolis (MAD is the reference airport now for pretty much anywhere in Spain other than the coastal regions; so from a family from Zamora or Cuenca, MAD is the airport to fly from). So XCR is far more relaxing even if it takes 45 minutes longer by coach than flying to ORY. It is not the end of the world.


How is CDG inconvenient ? If you live near a subway/rer station not only is it super convenient but the RER is at no extra-cost for the 4.5 millions pass navigo holders (out of 9.5 millions francilien).

And IB express operates twice daily to CDG from MAD. VY is supposed to go twice daily too (it was anouced a few months aga but has yet to happen).
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
How is CDG inconvenient ? If you live near a subway/rer station not only is it super convenient but the RER is at no extra-cost for the 4.5 millions pass navigo holders (out of 9.5 millions francilien).

And IB express operates twice daily to CDG from MAD. VY is supposed to go twice daily too (it was anouced a few months aga but has yet to happen).


Umm we are talking about "Spanish tourists heading for Disneyland Paris". How Navigo is relevant for them?
 
EddieDude
Posts: 7048
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm

a350lover wrote:
In the past, Air Nostrum served some larger markets, namely Clermont Ferrand, Perpignan, etc. Before Vatry they could have added much more realistic markets like Reims, Limoges, Carcassone, Brest, Rennes.... but Vatry?

Please excuse the ignorance. Does Reims have a proper airport, or are Reims and Épernay served better by XCR?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).
 
a350lover
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:31 pm

EddieDude wrote:
Please excuse the ignorance. Does Reims have a proper airport, or are Reims and Épernay served better by XCR?


You caught me! I meant Rennes. Sorry!
 
EddieDude
Posts: 7048
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:07 pm

a350lover wrote:
You caught me! I meant Rennes. Sorry!


Haha. No worries.

But my question is legit. Does Reims have an airport that is nearer than XCR, or do people from Reims, Épernay, etc. rely on XCR for air travel???
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).
 
a350lover
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:51 pm

I'd say the closest option is Vatry.

Reims has an "airport" but it's rather a regional airfield which has no direct links to anywhere. The runway is not even 1200 mts.

Wikipedia says: "It is a class D aerodrome open to general aviation traffic with no commercial airline service scheduled. Also, it hosts the factory of Reims Aviation"
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4235
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 pm

EddieDude wrote:
But my question is legit. Does Reims have an airport that is nearer than XCR, or do people from Reims, Épernay, etc. rely on XCR for air travel???


From Reims I think Vatry is the closest airport, however there are other airports within reach. To the west obviously you got Charles de Gaulle and Orly, to the north there's Charleroi and to the east there's Luxembourg and Metz-Nancy-Lorraine. Of course those are all a good distance away.

Keep in mind that this is not exactly the wealthiest part of France, there's a lot of poverty so not much demand for air travel. Therefor it doesn't really need much of an airport.
 
alric8
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 pm

EddieDude wrote:
a350lover wrote:
You caught me! I meant Rennes. Sorry!


Haha. No worries.

But my question is legit. Does Reims have an airport that is nearer than XCR, or do people from Reims, Épernay, etc. rely on XCR for air travel???

No and no.

XCR is probably the closest commercial airport, but it is still terribly connected and has very few flights. The people around that area rely on Paris airports primarily for their air travel. Vatry is too far for Parisians to travel when there are closer options but Reims is close enough to Paris that Reims residents can still take flights from Paris airports without having to leave the night before.
 
EddieDude
Posts: 7048
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks a lot for the info a350lover, PatrickZ80 and alric8! :)
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).
 
a350lover
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: IB to launch flights to Paris-Vatry (XCR)

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:10 pm

It's only two days until Air Nostrum launches this new route which was pretty well discussed and surprising for many here. At this point, we have info regarding the loads of the launching service from Madrid to Vatry which will take off this Sunday 31th of March, operated by a CRK capacity J6 Y79

IB8540 MAD-XCR 82% sold
IB8541 XCR-MAD 100% sold

(data comes from internal IB server)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 743Flyer, A330Inter, Baidu [Spider], ChrisEtihad272, darloscott, f18raider, francibastiglia, Google Adsense [Bot], HALtheAI, jimmy9irons, Oykie, skylor, smbukas, Smoketrails, stasisLAX, Thunderboltdrgn, Tuan, ual4life, usflyer msp, vhtje, vthebee, zbs and 423 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos