Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fabianmgiffarip
Topic Author

Potential of Regional Jets in Indonesia

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:58 am

In the past few years, Indonesia has seen numerous new airports being built and the others being refurbished. Of course, this will improve the air connectivity Indonesia desperately needs.

But, stimulating demands for routes, especially in newly-built airports, is never easy. There is also a lack of regional jets flying around Indonesia, leaving a huge gap between the turboprops and the medium-haul jets. For example, if Garuda wants to downgrade a route it currently flies with 737-800 (162-170 seats), the nearest option (based on seat count) would be CRJ-1000 (96 seats).

In my opinion, adding regional jets can bridge the gap, although there would be additional complexity that comes to it. What do you think? Is it possible? And if it is possible, what do you think the aircraft that would be able to do the job? I consider myself as new to this commercial aviation world, so I haven't thoroughly analyzed the likes of Embraer E2, Airbus A220, Sukhoi Superjet, and Mitsubishi MRJ.

outbackair

Re: Potential of Regional Jets in Indonesia

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 am

Kalstar still operate E-190s I think. There are Sukhoi Superjets of aviation just rotting in Indonesia. Very sad. I suspect the demonstrator crash there didn't help. Don't forget there are quite a few turboprops flying around, including Garuda and Wings ATR-72s.

terrificturk

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:40 am

a lot of investments will be in limbo until after the presidential election I suppose... if the encumbent wins, we will surely see further improvments to this whole area: including air safety, new aeropalnes and more.

fabianmgiffarip
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am

Unfortunately, Kalstar Aviation stops its operation back in 2017. There used to be Sky Aviation that wanted to operate Sukhoi Superjets. So, at the moment, no airlines in Indonesia currently operate regional jets.

KiloEchoVictor

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 am

fabianmgiffarip wrote:
In my opinion, adding regional jets can bridge the gap, although there would be additional complexity that comes to it.
I consider myself as new to this commercial aviation world, so I haven't thoroughly analyzed the likes of Embraer E2, Airbus A220, Sukhoi Superjet, and Mitsubishi MRJ.

The CRJ-1000 itself is a regional jet, along with the MRJ-70, MRJ-90 and the SSJ-100. The Embraer E-jet E2 and the Airbus A220 are what Embraer calls crossover narrowbody jets, planes which are sized between traditional regional jets and mainline narrowbodies. These seem like what Indonesia needs, and it's been long rumored that GA (group) is mulling the purchase of A220s.

outbackair wrote:
Kalstar still operate E-190s I think.

KD ceased all operations on 30 November 2017.

outbackair wrote:
Don't forget there are quite a few turboprops flying around, including Garuda and Wings ATR-72s.

GA's ATR-72s are in the process of being transferred to QG, its LCC subsidiary.
Social links:
[CENSORED FOR YOUR vIewInG cOmfOrT]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos