eastafspot
Topic Author

Kenya Airways moved about 28,000 pax on NBO - JFK

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:07 pm

An interesting tweet announced on the East African Aviation Thread - 2019
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411967

Until January 20, 2019, there were 28,000 passengers had used Kenya Airways direct flight from New York to Nairobi KQ002/KQ003

After a brief calculation, I found an average load factor of 89%. Is it correct?
28,000 divided by 31,356 (= seats available from 28/10 to 20/01).
This is quite encouraging and let's hope figures will get even better before the summer, and it would be great to know in which proportion is the connecting trafic!

Njoroge further disclosed that KQ is targeting to move 99,000 passengers before the end of this year. Do you think that it is a realistic target?

He says the nonstop flights have led to growth in the number of tourists and more investors are showing interest in setting shop in Kenya.
Last week, the airline announced a 30 percent discount on tickets for passengers flying Economy Class as it celebrates its 42nd birthday. KQ said the promotion would apply to travelers who book and pay for tickets before February 5th, 2019, and travel by December 10th, 2019.
"The fare offer is valid on selected destination across its network," the airline said in a statement. Under the offer, customers can also purchase a Business Class ticket and get the second one free.

https://twitter.com/CBKKenya/status/109 ... 13/photo/1
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

nairobby

Re: Kenya Airways moved about 28,000 pax on NBO - JFK

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:04 pm

I find this very interesting! The figures are seriously impressive.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:51 pm

nairobby wrote:
I find this very interesting! The figures are seriously impressive.

Well, the first two flights (inaugurals) were almost exclusively giveaway tickets.
If yields are good then the route can quickly become a cash cow like NBO-LHR.
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

FA9295

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:19 pm

Very solid numbers for a long and thin route like this! Hope it continues to be successful!

nairobby

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:16 am

I really think a change in config could really help KQ here. The front of the plane seems to always be full, maybe add more biz seats and premium economy. Wish they had enough aircraft to do this.

janders

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 am

Lets not forget they canceled many flights and consolidated loads due poor bookings per CEO own words.

Q. Just how poorly were some of the flights selling that they ended up canceling?
A. There will be not even 20% of passengers onboard, let’s cancel 10 flights. We will just not load flights on those dates.

Q. What the targets for the flight have been since it launched?
A. The planes were never supposed to be full for the first six months, before we started we said that if we reached 65% load factor that is very good.

KQ is operating a reduced schedule until June 2019 at JFK.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

nairobby

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:41 am

janders wrote:
Lets not forget they canceled many flights and consolidated loads due poor bookings per CEO own words.

Q. Just how poorly were some of the flights selling that they ended up canceling?
A. There will be not even 20% of passengers onboard, let’s cancel 10 flights. We will just not load flights on those dates.

Q. What the targets for the flight have been since it launched?
A. The planes were never supposed to be full for the first six months, before we started we said that if we reached 65% load factor that is very good.

KQ is operating a reduced schedule until June 2019 at JFK.

A daily schedule was always too ambitious and a waste of resources. I think 5x weekly will be more manageable. No point wasting money on a prestige route when you're trying to get back to profitability

gokmengs

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 am

eastafspot wrote:

Until January 20, 2019, there were 28,000 passengers had used Kenya Airways direct flight from New York to Nairobi KQ002/KQ003

After a brief calculation, I found an average load factor of 89%. Is it correct?
This is quite encouraging and let's hope figures will get even better before the summer, and it would be great to know in which proportion is the connecting trafic!

Njoroge further disclosed that KQ is targeting to move 99,000 passengers before the end of this year. Do you think that it is a realistic target?

He says the nonstop flights have led to growth in the number of tourists and more investors are showing interest in setting shop in Kenya.
Last week, the airline announced a 30 percent discount on tickets for passengers flying Economy Class as it celebrates its 42nd birthday. KQ said the promotion would apply to travelers who book and pay for tickets before February 5th, 2019, and travel by December 10th, 2019.
"The fare offer is valid on selected destination across its network," the airline said in a statement. Under the offer, customers can also purchase a Business Class ticket and get the second one free.

That must be a typo because if he “moved” 29k in 1 month I’am sure 99k is very doable in the nect 2-3 months. So if I am assuming correctly he is trageting 900k + for the year? Impressive
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

yochai

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:51 am

gokmengs wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

That must be a typo because if he “moved” 29k in 1 month I’am sure 99k is very doable in the nect 2-3 months. So if I am assuming correctly he is trageting 900k + for the year? Impressive

To move 900K pax , means 2465 seats each day, which is about 9-10 787's a day. 90K is definitely more realistic

nairobby

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 am

eastafspot wrote:

I think connecting traffic is maybe a third that. Huge interest on this route from Southern Africa, Eastern and the vanilla islands

nairobby

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:11 am

eastafspot wrote:

I think connecting traffic is maybe a third that. Huge interest on this route from Southern Africa, Eastern and the vanilla islands

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:38 am

gokmengs wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

From memory those 99k pax would result in a load factor of around 81%, so 900K pax would be an excellent news but highly unlikely...

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:42 am

nairobby wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

Agree, due to popularity, KQ now goes daily to the Seychelles Islands (SEZ), and improves connectivity to the rest of the network

berari

Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm

The NBO-JFK flight is not deemed lucrative despite the hype, according to the CEO. It's just another route that "[...] is necessary but difficult. It is performing in the range that we expected. It is feeding our African network. It positions us differently"

https://www.mwakilishi.com/article/keny ... -sebastian

MalevTU134

Wed May 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Reading ths thread now for the first time...what were all (or well, most) posters thinking? Impressed by those pax numbers? The OP said two entire flights worth of tickets were giveaways. Then "2 for1" Business class deals. Discounts in Economy "because it is our 42nd birthday". Give me a break!... It is obvious that the yield on these flights must be rock bottom. Why else...?...
For the umpteenth time: Anyone can fill a flight from Kathmandu to La Paz, if you give the tickets away. Load factors per se mean zilch, zero, nothing. It is like saying "my vehicle has got a 300 HP engine", which says absolutely nothing about how fast it accelerates, until you know whether it is a Porsche or a lorry.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos