qf789
Topic Author

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2019

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:38 am

Yesterday's PER-LHR clocked 18 hrs and 4 mins from take off to landing, a new record for the longest flight for the route. The greater circle distance is 7829nm, this particular flight flew 8176nm which I believe is the longest distance wise. Flight route was different to normal flying up to SIN then pretty much side to side with QF1 all the way to LHR

Does anyone know of this flight took off with any additional penalties.
Forum Moderator

EK413

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:59 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Tonight’s QR908/QR909 DOH-SYD-DOH service has been operated by a B77W in lieu of an A380. Or have QR reverted back to double daily B77W?

Flight QR909 from Sydney to Doha
https://fr24.com/QTR909/1f7eddbb

QF also operating a JQ SYD-HNL-SYD charter.

Flight QF6403 from Sydney to Honolulu
https://fr24.com/QFA6403/1f7ebfec

EK413

Its seems to be a one off. I have also heard that QR service to PER, the 77W will replace the A388 for 6 weeks later in the year

Probably an unserviceable A380 in the network.

Is it safe to say ME3 bubble has finally burst & all 3 carriers are readjusting their Australian network? I know EY will be down to 1 daily A380 come July & EK cutting back SYD-BKK-DXB. As for QR is this side effects of QF PER-LHR?

qf789 wrote:
Yesterday's PER-LHR clocked 18 hrs and 4 mins from take off to landing, a new record for the longest flight for the route. The greater circle distance is 7829nm, this particular flight flew 8176nm which I believe is the longest distance wise. Flight route was different to normal flying up to SIN then pretty much side to side with QF1 all the way to LHR

Approximately 30 passengers rerouted via SIN. So I heard.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

eta unknown

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:28 pm

The bubble has definitely burst- the capacity dumping is completely unsustainable. Unfortunately, many on here have never seen an airline route performance matrix and have no idea about the overheads involved. We've seen EY job cuts and now EK will have a slimmer staff structure from April. FYI there was an interesting article in the Australian in last week's aviation section on EK's load factor to AU- it's way down.

vhqpa

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:31 pm

qf789 wrote:

Interesting, I wonder what the reason was. I'm guessing some MEL item (CPDLC? HF Radio? or EDTO limiting item) that kept them out of oceanic airspace over the Indian Ocean. It will be interesting to see what routing ZNA takes on the return.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Tonight’s QR908/QR909 DOH-SYD-DOH service has been operated by a B77W in lieu of an A380. Or have QR reverted back to double daily B77W?

Flight QR909 from Sydney to Doha
https://fr24.com/QTR909/1f7eddbb

QF also operating a JQ SYD-HNL-SYD charter.

Flight QF6403 from Sydney to Honolulu
https://fr24.com/QFA6403/1f7ebfec

EK413

Its seems to be a one off. I have also heard that QR service to PER, the 77W will replace the A388 for 6 weeks later in the year

Probably an unserviceable A380 in the network.

Is it safe to say ME3 bubble has finally burst & all 3 carriers are readjusting their Australian network? I know EY will be down to 1 daily A380 come July & EK cutting back SYD-BKK-DXB. As for QR is this side effects of QF PER-LHR?

qf789 wrote:

Approximately 30 passengers rerouted via SIN. So I heard.

EK413

For EK and EY yes, for QR I am not sure, they have only a limited amount of services compared to what EY and EK have had. The PER adjustment to me sounds like an aircraft requirement more than anything else. I don't think PER-LHR has made much of an issue with QR, those who fly on QR are typically price sensitive and the flight is popular is for passengers flying to other UK ports outside London. EK has been the biggest loser out of PER-LHR, those who were loyal to QF only had SIN on QF or EK through DXB and the A332 on PER-SIN was only added after PER-LHR started
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:10 pm

vhqpa wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Interesting, I wonder what the reason was. I'm guessing some MEL item (CPDLC? HF Radio? or EDTO limiting item) that kept them out of oceanic airspace over the Indian Ocean. It will be interesting to see what routing ZNA takes on the return.

Weather could have played a part though there could also be other issues. Late yesterday afternoon it became very humid and overcast, felt like being in the tropics. Just before QF9 departed the skies looked like there was a thunderstorm approaching, I had noticed its climbout as unusual and originally thought it was due to the weather.
Forum Moderator

DavidByrne

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:58 pm

I wonder whether a factor in the decline of EK and EY in particular is political. Both carriers are UAE-based, and UAE has come under some scrutiny in the last 12 months or so for its role in the Saudi-led blockade of Qatar which has done so much to destabilise the area politically. Not to mention other Saudi excesses (detention of the Lebanese PM, bombing civilian targets in Yemen, murder of Jamal Khashoggi to name but a few). While I doubt many will have consciously boycotted UAE carriers, the general level of awareness that all is not well with Saudi and UAE policies may possibly have subconsciously led some pax to avoid EK and EY in favor of other carriers.

QR, on the other hand, may not be suffering to the same extent given Qatar has been projected as the victim of other states' irrational and illegal actions, and is markedly more tolerant, much more open to western freedoms and global thinking (media and climate change in particular) and even, in a relative way, more democratic than Saudi or UAE.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:41 am

Here is the top 5 things passengers want to see on Project Sunrise Aircraft

Provide “sense of separation” experiences where passengers can be social but then “zone out” with either virtual reality relaxation zones, audio mindfulness experiences, or through the broader inflight entertainment;
Spaces to do gentle exercise/stretches, promoting circulation and comfort;
Wireless, noise cancelling headsets;
Innovative cabin designs across the entire aircraft, considering both seat and non-seat spaces to focus on a broad range of traveller needs including comfort, sleep, dining, entertainment and state of mind;
An inflight cafe offering both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages including wine, fresh juices, herbal teas and tisanes and mocktails along with snacks including dips with vegetable sticks as well as “treat foods”.

https://blueswandaily.com/as-project-su ... l-flights/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:45 am

Airlines have been warned about the number of wake turbulence incidents at SYD compared to other Australian airports. As a result Airservices Australia has agreed to implement changes in the way it handles aircraft landings

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/air ... y-airport/
Forum Moderator

SYDSpotter

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 am

DavidByrne wrote:
I wonder whether a factor in the decline of EK and EY in particular is political. Both carriers are UAE-based, and UAE has come under some scrutiny in the last 12 months or so for its role in the Saudi-led blockade of Qatar which has done so much to destabilise the area politically. Not to mention other Saudi excesses (detention of the Lebanese PM, bombing civilian targets in Yemen, murder of Jamal Khashoggi to name but a few). While I doubt many will have consciously boycotted UAE carriers, the general level of awareness that all is not well with Saudi and UAE policies may possibly have subconsciously led some pax to avoid EK and EY in favor of other carriers.

QR, on the other hand, may not be suffering to the same extent given Qatar has been projected as the victim of other states' irrational and illegal actions, and is markedly more tolerant, much more open to western freedoms and global thinking (media and climate change in particular) and even, in a relative way, more democratic than Saudi or UAE.

I think you are reading far too much into this. The so called 'experts' can barely understand the Middle East, so the ordinary passenger is going to have no idea. To be honest, most people couldn't distinguish between Qatar or the UAE, so not sure the majority people are that sophisticated to boycott a certain airline based on current events. The UAE has always had controversial policies (exploitation of workers, human rights, tough stance on LGBTI, etc), so not sure why a blockade of Qatar and a war suddenly changes things.

The current pullback in capacity is down to EK/EY having far too much capacity in the past. QR doesn't have nearly as much traffic. EK has had up to 4x daily into SYD/MEL, QR has 1x daily into SYD/MEL...
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

Qantas16

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:58 am

Malaysia Airlines in the 3rd quarter of 2019 is increasing Kuala Lumpur – Melbourne service, as overall service increases from 14 to 17 weekly. Additional service will operate from 01JUL19 to 30SEP19, KUL departure. A330-300 operates this route.
Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-3q19/

Evidently MH is doing well in MEL and D7's move to AVV could be helping them... would expect to see BNE increased soon as well, I believe loads have been good (obviously cannot speak for yields).

EK413

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:16 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
The current pullback in capacity is down to EK/EY having far too much capacity in the past. QR doesn't have nearly as much traffic. EK has had up to 4x daily into SYD/MEL, QR has 1x daily into SYD/MEL...

Sydney is double daily QR906/907 DOH-SYD-CBR-SYD-DOH & QR908/909 DOH-SYD-DOH.

EK413

SYDSpotter

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:24 am

EK413 wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

Sydney is double daily QR906/907 DOH-SYD-CBR-SYD-DOH & QR908/909 DOH-SYD-DOH.

EK413

Of course, I forgot about the "Canberra" service :lol:
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

DavidByrne

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

I think you are reading far too much into this. The so called 'experts' can barely understand the Middle East, so the ordinary passenger is going to have no idea. To be honest, most people couldn't distinguish between Qatar or the UAE, so not sure the majority people are that sophisticated to boycott a certain airline based on current events. The UAE has always had controversial policies (exploitation of workers, human rights, tough stance on LGBTI, etc), so not sure why a blockade of Qatar and a war suddenly changes things.

I think you're misreading my post. I'm wondering whether this is happening at a subconscious level - that recent events in the Mideast have made the region feel less comfortable to people. Fully agree that there's overcapacity in the market - would suggest though that EK and EY have reduced by more than others when until relatively recently they've been hailed as success stories. Yes, of course there are other factors too (EY group buying up failing carriers among them). But I think that the ME just doesn't "feel" as comfortable to many as it once did. And Saudi and the UAE are primarily responsible for that, no question.

RyanairGuru

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:52 am

DavidByrne wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

I think you're misreading my post. I'm wondering whether this is happening at a subconscious level - that recent events in the Mideast have made the region feel less comfortable to people. Fully agree that there's overcapacity in the market - would suggest though that EK and EY have reduced by more than others when until relatively recently they've been hailed as success stories. Yes, of course there are other factors too (EY group buying up failing carriers among them). But I think that the ME just doesn't "feel" as comfortable to many as it once did. And Saudi and the UAE are primarily responsible for that, no question.

I understand with what you are saying, but I disagree with your premise. I think the position you are coming from is too intellectual, and the reality is that the vast majority of people do not closely follow Saudi, leg alone Emerati, foreign policy. Most people's opinion of the Middle East is informed by events on the news, and as far as Australian media goes the Middle East has received relatively little coverage lately. I'll go out on a limb and say that there is less coverage of the Middle East now than at any point since 2001. As an issue in people's minds, even their subconscious, it is way down the list right now.

I personally agree with what you are insinuating. The UAE's support for Saudi is arguably destabilising the entire region, but Joe and Jane really don't care about that.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

kriskim

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
Malaysia Airlines in the 3rd quarter of 2019 is increasing Kuala Lumpur – Melbourne service, as overall service increases from 14 to 17 weekly. Additional service will operate from 01JUL19 to 30SEP19, KUL departure. A330-300 operates this route.

Evidently MH is doing well in MEL and D7's move to AVV could be helping them... would expect to see BNE increased soon as well, I believe loads have been good (obviously cannot speak for yields).

MH has not applied for additional capacity for BNE yet, however was just awarded additional capacity for PER, I think that MH will be looking at increasing its Australian presence again, considering that TG has already pulled back abit.
A world built upon connectivity.

Obzerva

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:46 pm

kriskim wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

MH has not applied for additional capacity for BNE yet, however was just awarded additional capacity for PER, I think that MH will be looking at increasing its Australian presence again, considering that TG has already pulled back abit.

Is the additional capacity in to PER for KUL or is BKI increasing from the single weekly flight?

IndianicWorld

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 pm

kriskim wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

It’s good to see MH expand again.

The MEL market has the largest O&D figures of the Australia-Malaysia routes, which certainly helps fill seats, but the move of D7 to AVV would have provided a point of difference for each carrier.

Interesting to note though that D7 did increase flights up to 18 weekly in a peak period last year on their MEL-KUL services, so not sure if they will be looking to increase from AVV over the same period this year.

Overall, there will be the following on MEL/AVV-KUL during the Jul-Sep period:

MEL: 24 weekly (MH 17 x weekly non-stop, OD 7 x weekly via DPS)
AVV: 14 weekly (D7 14 x weekly non-stop)
Total: 38 weekly (31 x weekly non-stop, 7 x weekly via DPS)

Also read on another forum that there is talk of a MEL-MFM (Macau) route to be launched by JQ this year. Would be a good way to open up a new market, but at the same time offer an alternative to HKG. The capacity limitations at HKG currently creates challenges entering the market, so this could be a good way around that.

If they do launch it though, will be interesting to see what route the aircraft comes from. More than likely it would be the current China flights that would be cut, but that’s only a couple of times a week service.

DavidByrne

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:15 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
I personally agree with what you are insinuating. The UAE's support for Saudi is arguably destabilising the entire region, but Joe and Jane really don't care about that.

If Joe and Jane are not even subconsciously aware of Saudi/UAE responsibility for things not being quite right in the Middle East, then I truly fear for the quality of our news!

tullamarine

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:29 am

DavidByrne wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

If Joe and Jane are not even subconsciously aware of Saudi/UAE responsibility for things not being quite right in the Middle East, then I truly fear for the quality of our news!

They are probably aware but feel pretty powerless and, given it is unlikely they will leave the transit area, they are happy to continue to use the ME3 which still offer the best one-stop options into much of Europe and Africa.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

SeaEagle8

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:15 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
read on another forum that there is talk of a MEL-MFM (Macau) route to be launched by JQ this year. Would be a good way to open up a new market, but at the same time offer an alternative to HKG. The capacity limitations at HKG currently creates challenges entering the market, so this could be a good way around that.

If they do launch it though, will be interesting to see what route the aircraft comes from. More than likely it would be the current China flights that would be cut, but that’s only a couple of times a week service.

Wow. Picking up where Viva Macau left off? That was a colourful plane. I know they flew to SYD regularly before they went under about 10 years ago.
NSW based avgeek

aerokiwi

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:04 am

tullamarine wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

They are probably aware but feel pretty powerless and, given it is unlikely they will leave the transit area, they are happy to continue to use the ME3 which still offer the best one-stop options into much of Europe and Africa.

Some colleagues recently arranged a work trip to Europe and were gonna do a stopover in one of the ME3 cities for a couple of days. While the political situation is known, the key factor ended up being the excessive risk of arbitrary detention for some b/s reason by local authorities. Our corporate travel agency even raised this, knowing they were prone to a boozey night out.

That $18,000 trip ended up going to Singapore Airlines and about $2K to the local Singaporean hotel and bar scene. It's made me think twice about the next Euro excursion.

JimWhite

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 am

eta unknown wrote:
JQ 787 seat density wont permit AU-Canada nonstop without a big payload hit.
Couldn't JQ fly MEL & SYD/HNL with 2 services a week continuing onto say YVR or better still low cost Abbotsford, (which seems to be the Canadian equivalent of AVV to MEL) just like Canada 3000 used to fly YVR/HNL/BNE twice a wek, but just in reverse. Canada 3000 were given permission to fly HNL/BNE & sell those sectors, so why could JQ fly HNL/YVR & also sell those sectors alone, or am I missing something in the seemingly complex area of traffic rights ?

JimWhite

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:22 am

eta unknown wrote:
The bubble has definitely burst- the capacity dumping is completely unsustainable. Unfortunately, many on here have never seen an airline route performance matrix and have no idea about the overheads involved. We've seen EY job cuts and now EK will have a slimmer staff structure from April. FYI there was an interesting article in the Australian in last week's aviation section on EK's load factor to AU- it's way down.

just saw on another forum January fares BNE, SYD, MEL to LAX, SFO return from $1599 which seems very cheap for peak season. To clarify, departures in early January or even late December, returning to Australia before school starts back.

Gangurru

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:31 am

If I am correctly reading Australia’s Air Services Agreements between Canada and the USA, Honolulu is a permitted stopover on flights to Canada and Australian airline have traffic rights on the Hawaii-Canada sector.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/ ... ments.aspx

JimWhite

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:38 am

apologies if already mentioned somewhere else, but with Xmas Is(the one in the Indian Ocean not CXI) ramping, who will get all the work ? From memory Nauru Airlines old 733s moved a lot of refugees, but think VA do RPT flights PER/Christmas Is.

JimWhite

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:41 am

Gangurru wrote:
If I am correctly reading Australia’s Air Services Agreements between Canada and the USA, Honolulu is a permitted stopover on flights to Canada and Australian airline have traffic rights on the Hawaii-Canada sector.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/ ... ments.aspx
so surely with Air Canada having a monopoly on BNE/YVR & MEL/YVR, a JQ BNE/HNL once or twice a week, arriving at similar time to a MEL/HNL, with 2 per week continuing over YVR, would make sense. The skier market is very price sensitive I think.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:12 am

JimWhite wrote:
apologies if already mentioned somewhere else, but with Xmas Is(the one in the Indian Ocean not CXI) ramping, who will get all the work ? From memory Nauru Airlines old 733s moved a lot of refugees, but think VA do RPT flights PER/Christmas Is.

VARA A320's operate to XCH twice a week in conjuction with services to CCK (Cocos Island), one flight is routed PER-XCH-CCK-PER while the other PER-CCK-XCH-PER

Here is a photo of a A320 at CCK recently

https://twitter.com/VirginAustralia/sta ... 10272?s=20

Alliance operate to XCH about once a week (from memory) via LEA using the F70/100
Forum Moderator

anstar

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:14 am

JimWhite wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
Couldn't JQ fly MEL & SYD/HNL with 2 services a week continuing onto say YVR or better still low cost Abbotsford, (which seems to be the Canadian equivalent of AVV to MEL) just like Canada 3000 used to fly YVR/HNL/BNE twice a wek, but just in reverse. Canada 3000 were given permission to fly HNL/BNE & sell those sectors, so why could JQ fly HNL/YVR & also sell those sectors alone, or am I missing something in the seemingly complex area of traffic rights ?

Jetstar have no trouble filling their current HNL flights so I doubt having a tag after YVR is going to appeal to them given the extra cots involved ie crew costs, layovers allowances etc.

JimWhite

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:32 pm

anstar wrote:
JimWhite wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

Jetstar have no trouble filling their current HNL flights so I doubt having a tag after YVR is going to appeal to them given the extra cots involved ie crew costs, layovers allowances etc.
based on some of the JQ fares to HNL of late, must be a low yield market. Suggest YVR would be higher yield, especially as JQ could sell HNL/YVR in isolation apparently. If JQ are making money on flights to HNL, then they should put on more flights, but they did pull out of BNE/HNL a year or so ago. HA now has a monopoly on BNE/HNL nonstops. No one from BNE wants to go to SYD or AKL & connections through NAN are not very good.

undertheradar

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:47 pm

FEB 17th, qantas B789 VH-ZNG back in service after its repairs, due to its incident with some wayward ground equipment in MEL. Currently flying QF29 MEL-HKG.

EK413

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:11 am

Passengers travelling on tomorrow’s (18FEB) QF91 SYD-NOU & QF92 NOU-SYD service will be getting a nice treat. The flight will be operated by VH-OEB (I know outdated interior) result of today’s service cancelled due to a tropical cyclone & consolidation of passengers with the scheduled service.

EK413

eta unknown

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 am

JimWhite wrote:
based on some of the JQ fares to HNL of late, must be a low yield market. Suggest YVR would be higher yield, especially as JQ could sell HNL/YVR in isolation apparently. If JQ are making money on flights to HNL, then they should put on more flights, but they did pull out of BNE/HNL a year or so ago. HA now has a monopoly on BNE/HNL nonstops. No one from BNE wants to go to SYD or AKL & connections through NAN are not very good.[/quote]

I am so not taking the bate for this- exact same done & dusted conversation from last year.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 am

EK413 wrote:
Passengers travelling on tomorrow’s (18FEB) QF91 SYD-NOU & QF92 NOU-SYD service will be getting a nice treat. The flight will be operated by VH-OEB (I know outdated interior) result of today’s service cancelled due to a tropical cyclone & consolidation of passengers with the scheduled service.

EK413

Once again the 744 saves the day, these are going to be missed when they are retired
Forum Moderator

EK413

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:37 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Once again the 744 saves the day, these are going to be missed when they are retired

Exactly, the B747 is valuable asset.

I understand the benefits streamlining the fleet but honesty where the heck is QF going to find capacity to recover passengers when such events occur. The A380 is over kill & A330 just won’t cut it.

EK413

waoz1

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:33 am

Perth airport has got back the lease of Qantas Terminal 4

Be interesting what happens next.

https://thewest.com.au/news/aviation/pe ... 881106563z

EK413

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 am

For those interested tomorrow (18FEB) VH-OJS (Hamilton Island) will operate her final commercial service as QF73 SYD-SFO after serving QF for 19 years.
Sad :( having to witness another magnificent aircraft retired.

EK413

SeaEagle8

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:48 am

EK413 wrote:
For those interested tomorrow (18FEB) VH-OJS (Hamilton Island) will operate her final commercial service as QF73 SYD-SFO after serving QF for 19 years.

EK413

It is sad. Slowly but surely these beauties will be gone. The 747 has been around long enough to actually use the term “end of an era.”
NSW based avgeek

jman

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:01 am

eta unknown wrote:
JimWhite wrote:
based on some of the JQ fares to HNL of late, must be a low yield market. Suggest YVR would be higher yield, especially as JQ could sell HNL/YVR in isolation apparently. If JQ are making money on flights to HNL, then they should put on more flights, but they did pull out of BNE/HNL a year or so ago. HA now has a monopoly on BNE/HNL nonstops. No one from BNE wants to go to SYD or AKL & connections through NAN are not very good.

I am so not taking the bate for this- exact same done & dusted conversation from last year.[/quote]

The reason the BNE/HNL was cut by JQ is because HA contract maintenance of their A330 to Qantas out of Brisbane, and they told Qantas they would loose the contract if they didn't pull the JQ BNE/HNL flight

undertheradar

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:02 am

EK413 wrote:

EK413

-OJS final commercial flight Sunday FEB 17 QF73 SYD-SFO..wheels up about 7.55pm (2hrs later than schedule)

EK413

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 am

undertheradar wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

-OJS final commercial flight Sunday FEB 17 QF73 SYD-SFO..wheels up about 7.55pm (2hrs later than schedule)

Thanks for the correction :boxedin: Just had another search and had the dates mixed up.
End of an era indeed :( and hard believe at one point QF had a fleet of 36 B747’s :(

EK413

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:23 am

Qantas has scheduled a one time A388 charter on QF80 NRT-NEL on 21 Oct 19

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 57986?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf2220

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:00 pm

Guys, yes it is end of an era with the 744s leaving the fleet, but it isn't the end of the world! Im sure that there will be new things put in place to fill the roles that the 744 plays now. And really, the question of whether the 747 was the best aircraft is one that Im sure we can debate at length here, and for me seeing it go and being replaced with 789s and the Sunrise aircraft to me is a far more interesting landscape to think about than the current fleet is!

jupiter2

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:18 pm

qf2220 wrote:
Guys, yes it is end of an era with the 744s leaving the fleet, but it isn't the end of the world! Im sure that there will be new things put in place to fill the roles that the 744 plays now. And really, the question of whether the 747 was the best aircraft is one that Im sure we can debate at length here, and for me seeing it go and being replaced with 789s and the Sunrise aircraft to me is a far more interesting landscape to think about than the current fleet is!

Shame on you :shock: the day that 747 ops end at QF will truly be a sad day for aviation. Hopefully they will still be around for the 50th anniversary of the type in QF service in September 2021.

SeaEagle8

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 pm

The 747 literally brought the world closer together and it was far reaching... as in longreach.
End of an era means it is just that.... nobody said anything about not looking forward to the future. The 747’s contribution to world travel is right up there as one of the significant game changing aircraft.
For us older guys the nostalgia of remembering my first flight on one I’ll never forget. A 747-100 even! What a fantastic experience.
It also played a huge role in connecting Australia to the world.
On the other hand the A380 hasn’t been around long enough to be an era. It will
be a blip as in time frame and the limited number of operators.
The 747 and all its variants have been around for 50 years!
Last edited by SeaEagle8 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NSW based avgeek

EK413

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:51 am

Etihad Airways A380 A6-APA been granted airways clearance by CASA to ferry SYD-AUH on 3 engines after going AOG in SYD on the 13th of February.

The aircraft departed SYD this morning & currently heading over DRW.

Flight EY9009 from Sydney
https://fr24.com/ETD9009/1f8841dd

EK413

jupiter2

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 am

EK413 wrote:
Etihad Airways A380 A6-APA been granted airways clearance by CASA to ferry SYD-AUH on 3 engines after going AOG in SYD on the 13th of February.

EK413

Too hard, too time consuming to get an engine to SYD ?

EK413

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 am

jupiter2 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

I’m surprised they’ve opted to ferry back to AUH on 3 engines opposed to leasing an engine from QF considering -OQA is currently under going heavy maintenance in AUH.

EK413

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:03 am

EK413 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

I’m surprised they’ve opted to ferry back to AUH on 3 engines opposed to leasing an engine from QF considering -OQA is currently under going heavy maintenance in AUH.

EK413

That could be feasible if EY had RR engines except they are powered by EA
Forum Moderator

EK413

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:11 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

EK413

That could be feasible if EY had RR engines except they are powered by EA

Thanks for pointing that out for some reason I thought they had RR. Certainly would’ve been a solution though if they had RR’s.
I take it the 3 engine ferry flight out weighed hiring a hangar, positioning a replacement engine, dropping the old engine, fit the new engine & then position the old engine back to AUH.

EK413

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos