avier

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 pm

unrave wrote:
Vistara announces the launch of 2x daily flights between Delhi and Raipur wef 31MAR19.

Does DEL still issue new slots for domestic, or these come by way of axing other routes by the airline?

unrave

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:53 pm

avier wrote:
Does DEL still issue new slots for domestic, or these come by way of axing other routes by the airline?

DEL issues new slots for airlines that fly from T3 but not from T1 or T2.

binayak wrote:
Is there enough business traffic between DEL and Raipur to warrant 2x daily Vistara flights? That's 16J and 36Y+ on each side.

Ideally Vistara would have wanted to fly these planes on international routes, but given the dealys in getting permission, they have to make do with these sub optimal sectors.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

9w748capt

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:02 pm

I follow this thread from afar as I only visit India every few years at this point. Just curious though - with SG turning their fortunes around, why do they still not serve NAG? Actually, Vistara doesn't serve NAG either IIRC.

9w748capt

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 pm

pune wrote:
unrave wrote:
avier wrote:
And by SG you meant Spicejet right, shouldn't that be then SJ rarther than SG ?

SJ is Indonesia's Sriwijaya Air. Google is your friend.

Viman

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 pm

9w748capt wrote:
I follow this thread from afar as I only visit India every few years at this point. Just curious though - with SG turning their fortunes around, why do they still not serve NAG? Actually, Vistara doesn't serve NAG either IIRC.

Indigo is the actual "Nag/Naagin" in Nagpur, Indigo drove away Air Asia from Nagpur last month by dumping capacity and then jacked up the prices by 40% to 50% on those routes.

unrave

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 pm

Viman wrote:
Indigo is the actual "Nag/Naagin" in Nagpur, Indigo drove away Air Asia from Nagpur last month by dumping capacity and then jacked up the prices by 40% to 50% on those routes.

Similar thing happened at Surat too

pune

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:18 am

binayak wrote:
pune wrote:
Even after that, the price used to be in the INR 3k+ range, whatever the base-price they may say (one-way), not exactly for the 'aam aadmi' I would say.

You'll never find or airlines will never provide you one way tickets for cheap.
It's always the return tickets which go cheap to rock bottom.
Still if you compare average prices, even 7-8 years ago, getting < 3k RT fares (US $43 ) from BOM to DEL was unimaginable. And as you said, majority of the population couldn't afford that, so there's little need for lowering prices more. Now, growth will continue to happen profitably.

What I meant was that the whole trip costs around INR 6l/- (to and fro) and still there would be a group of people who would pay it but will be small. I do know we have infrastructure constraints but it would be useful if we could lower the prices once infrastructure issues are solved to have people use airlines more often. With softer airfares we can assume that there will be healthy load factors and probably 10-15% year on year growth for many years to come.

sand26391

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:51 am

Top 20 Countries by ASKs w/c 18-Feb-2019

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:15 pm

pune wrote:
What I meant was that the whole trip costs around INR 6l/- (to and fro) and still there would be a group of people who would pay it but will be small. I do know we have infrastructure constraints but it would be useful if we could lower the prices once infrastructure issues are solved to have people use airlines more often. With softer airfares we can assume that there will be healthy load factors and probably 10-15% year on year growth for many years to come.

Problem is Indian carriers have been selling below cost because of unhealthy competition. Once passengers get used to everyday sale prices, it will take a long time to adjust to normal fares.

At worst, Indians passengers will never welcome normalized ticket prices (or) nickel and dime tactics.

Can the industry bring capacity discipline? No, with Indigo still in business.

The result will be poor loads.

anshabhi

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:45 pm

sand26391 wrote:

lol see this

https://www.ndtv.com/business/opinion-s ... ff-1996885

Gr8Circle

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:14 pm

edealinfo wrote:
unrave wrote:
PM to lay foundation stone for Jewar airport on 25FEB19.

What's with laying the foundation stone? Is this primarily in Indian culture?

Its done in many countries......more symbolic.....not necessarily linked to culture....

unrave

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:22 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Problem is Indian carriers have been selling below cost because of unhealthy competition. Once passengers get used to everyday sale prices, it will take a long time to adjust to normal fares.

At worst, Indians passengers will never welcome normalized ticket prices (or) nickel and dime tactics.

The carriers who have been selling below cost are Air India, Jet Airways, Vistara and Air Asia India. Perhaps they should stop that?
TIL industry wide load factor of 84% is poor.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:31 pm

unrave wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

The carriers who have been selling below cost are Air India, Jet Airways, Vistara and Air Asia India. Perhaps they should stop that?

To be honest, I am surprised the GOI didn't introduce a min fare or something. I know, I know having the government interfer like this is not good, but the type of competition happening in India now is not sustainable in the long run. Indian needs connectivity. I'm all for low prices but a min fare, like 20% below cost is probably a good thing to stop dumping to push competition out. Btw talking domestic sectors only.

unrave

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
To be honest, I am surprised the GOI didn't introduce a min fare or something. I know, I know having the government interfer like this is not good, but the type of competition happening in India now is not sustainable in the long run. Indian needs connectivity. I'm all for low prices but a min fare, like 20% below cost is probably a good thing to stop dumping to push competition out. Btw talking domestic sectors only.

GoI has the reverse midas touch - everything it touches turns to crap. More government intervention is the last thing Indian aviation needs. The market will correct itself in the long run. Indian aviation market is not unique in this. How many carriers had to fail in the US before the airlines shed flab, merged and now see stable profits even when fuel prices turn high. Indian aviation market will also see a few failures and mergers before it stabilises. Moreover, IndiGo and SpiceJet (and possibly GoAIr) who together account for 60%+ of the market so I don't what all this fuss of seeling below cost is all about.

sand26391

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:39 pm

anshabhi wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

lol see this

https://www.ndtv.com/business/opinion-s ... ff-1996885

Glad that Blue (in the graph) is becoming smaller!

unrave

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:04 pm

sand26391 wrote:
[

Glad that Blue (in the graph) is becoming smaller!

The colour scheme is ridiculous

binayak

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm

The post saying "EK explained US3 how costs are low.... " got deleted. Was that reported?

By the way the analogy was appropriate. But one thing to be noted. The main motto of the thread is to somehow justify that whole Indian aviation must be handed over to 6E !
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

unrave

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:24 pm

binayak wrote:
The post saying "EK explained US3 how costs are low.... " got deleted. Was that reported?

By the way the analogy was appropriate. But one thing to be noted. The main motto of the thread is to somehow justify that whole Indian aviation must be handed over to 6E !

Nobody has to do it, in the long run only the good companies survive. Look at the Indian telecom market. How many players were there in 2011? How many made money? And how many survive now?

binayak

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:43 pm

And monopoly is not good for any kind of industry.
Talking about Telecom industry, well the old ones surviving till today are much much better than the current dominant one. Hell, what will happen if those remaining old providers close shop too!
I hope similar thing doesn't happen in aviation.

unrave

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:49 pm

binayak wrote:
Talking about Telecom industry, well the old ones surviving till today are much much better than the current dominant one. Hell, what will happen if those remaining old providers close shop too!
I hope similar thing doesn't happen in aviation.

Monopoly is bad. Precisely why we need stronger players to stand against the bully.

anshabhi

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:57 pm

binayak wrote:
Talking about Telecom industry, well the old ones surviving till today are much much better than the current dominant one.

Sorry, I don't agree. I went from 2 GB/month to 3 GB/day thanks to only that one operator.

binayak

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:43 pm

anshabhi wrote:
binayak wrote:
Talking about Telecom industry, well the old ones surviving till today are much much better than the current dominant one.

Sorry, I don't agree. I went from 2 GB/month to 3 GB/day thanks to only that one operator.

3GB per day with average speed < 50kbps and then claiming the same to be 4G speed didn't satisfy me! The reason being with such low speed, I can't even consume a fourth of that 3GB .
But yes, your point is also true as now internet is more affordable unlike the unlimited packs earlier thus enabling many teenagers have their own personal pack (which wasn't the case earlier!).
// Sorry for this off topic post.

unrave

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Capacity addition continues at the two big LCCs
IndiGo new flights wef 31MAR19
Bangalore - Coimbatore, 4th frequency
Bangalore - Chennai, 10th frequency
Chennai - Port Blair, 2nd frequency
Chennai - Hyderabad, 10th frequency
BLR-CJB-BLR-MAA-IXZ-MAA-HYD-MAA-BLR rotation

SpiceJet is set to launch daily flights on Bangalore - Kanpur wef 1MAR19, a route currently flown by no other airline.

Meanwhile the turnaround plan for Jet calls for further network pruning :lol:

anshabhi

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:55 am

binayak wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
binayak wrote:

3GB per day with average speed < 50kbps and then claiming the same to be 4G speed didn't satisfy me! The reason being with such low speed, I can't even consume a fourth of that 3GB .
But yes, your point is also true as now internet is more affordable unlike the unlimited packs earlier thus enabling many teenagers have their own personal pack (which wasn't the case earlier!).

Not really. I get average speeds of 1 Mbps.
On a normal day, you can consume 3gb easily in 1 hour. Not to forget, this is in addition to free calls and SMS.

Without this so called monopoly, I would be stuck in pre historic times lifestyle.

sand26391

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:03 am

Bengaluru airport sees local IT industry as key to hub ambitions

1) Bengaluru airport handled 32.3 million passengers per annum in 2018, and he expects the figure to surpass 33 million this year. The addition of T2 will add cater to a further 45 million, bringing its long-term capacity to 75-90 million.

2) When the second runway comes online, the two runway system will more than double the existing aircraft handling capacity to around 90 air traffic movements per hour, from the current 40.

3) In the year ahead, the airport is looking to establish direct nonstop connectivity to Africa, Australia, China, Indonesia, the Philippines, South Korea and the USA.

4) Airlines are eager to expand their operations from Bengaluru because they can easily cover all key markets located within a four to six hour flying range.

LINK:- https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... um=twitter

unrave

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:10 am

anshabhi wrote:
On a normal day, you can consume 3gb easily in 1 hour. Not to forget, this is in addition to free calls and SMS.

Without this so called monopoly, I would be stuck in pre historic times lifestyle.

According to some the American mobile market is better because the carriers there charge more and provide less data. These are the same poeple to who blame woes of struggling airline on their more efficient competitors.

Viman

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:21 am

unrave wrote:
Viman wrote:

Similar thing happened at Surat too

Indigo has been using this strategy in many places across India, Tripura Chief Minister called out Indigo for driving out competition and jacking up the pricing, only the bigger cities have some competition and in most of the places the low cost pricing is just a myth. The major cost of airlines is oil price due to excessive taxes and all the airlines will continue to post small profit or loss even in future.

unrave

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:10 am

Vistara has signed codeshare agreement with Japan Airlines. Japan Airlines will add its code to about 32 Vistara operated flights each day covering 7 cities: Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Pune.

CPS001

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:25 am

Air India has joined TSA Precheck at US airports.

anshabhi

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:50 am

CPS001 wrote:
Air India has joined TSA Precheck at US airports.

Wowwwwiieee Amazing!!

I thought it's airline independent and only depends on the individual

binayak

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:59 am

There are news saying Vistara will start flights to Japan after this codeshare partnership with JAL
Has Vistara arranged for slots at NRT / HND?

avier

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:21 am

^I wonder if there's so much demand for 4 airlines to operate DEL-Tokyo : AI , JAL, ANA, and then also Vistara.

It looks like Vistara will primarily be a India-EU carrier, with East Asia and further including West coast US being better served by it's parent airline SQ.

unrave

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:50 am

binayak wrote:
There are news saying Vistara will start flights to Japan after this codeshare partnership with JAL

No that is only speculation. Japan is unlikely to be among the first set of international destinations that Vistara would fly to

binayak

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:26 am

avier wrote:
^I wonder if there's so much demand for 4 airlines to operate DEL-Tokyo : AI , JAL, ANA, and then also Vistara.

It looks like Vistara will primarily be a India-EU carrier, with East Asia and further including West coast US being better served by it's parent airline SQ.

Even in India EU they will have a hard time as LHR is slot constrained so is AMS to some extent . They can partner with LH group at FRA , MUC, ZRH

VTCIE

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:33 am

unrave wrote:
Vistara announces the launch of 2x daily flights between Delhi and Raipur wef 31MAR19. Raipur is Vistara's 23rd destination. This route is currently served 4x daily by IndiGo and 1x daily by Air India

unrave wrote:
binayak wrote:

No that is only speculation. Japan is unlikely to be among the first set of international destinations that Vistara would fly to

Vistara is trying to fly to Raipur and Japan but it still doesn't fly to a huge Indian city, Jaipur!

anshabhi wrote:
binayak wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

I concur. It's thanks to him that Indians pay only ₹300 for 3GB daily data at a fraction of the price that, say, Singaporeans pay for 1GB monthly data. If only we had such a krantikaari in the aviation industry.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

JOYA380B747

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:47 pm

binayak wrote:
Even in India EU they will have a hard time as LHR is slot constrained so is AMS to some extent . They can partner with LH group at FRA , MUC, ZRH

With codeshares by BA and now JL, I think they are gearing themselves more towards oneworld.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

CaliguyNYC

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:17 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
binayak wrote:

With codeshares by BA and now JL, I think they are gearing themselves more towards oneworld.

To be honest OW makes a ton of sense to them (meaning align with a lot of them but don’t actually join). If BA gave Vistara some slots, Vistara could have their US connecting hub at LGW, thereby allowing BA to hurt Norwegian and deter the likes of Indigo and Spice from having a big presence at LGW. If I was SQ, I would just not want them to collaborate with a SE Asian airlines. The rest is a must - who would fly DEL-SIN-NRT? Also SQ doesn’t really need that much more feed into SIN. I think they have the connect through SIN market cornered. They are smart enough to know, if the SQ group doesn’t offer more nonstop options to Indian travelers, they will fly someone else. Look at LH group having carriers surrounding Germany.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:20 pm

binayak wrote:

AMS is maxed out, 9W will be the first if any slot opens up.
AI probably looking for 2 more LHR slots.

I think UK should build up their domestic network from DEL and BOM like AI/9W.

binayak

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:26 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
binayak wrote:

I think UK should build up their domestic network from DEL and BOM like AI/9W.

BOM is out of question for UK as of now . The only slots remaining are not suitable for FS carriers . They'll have to wait for NMIA .
From DEL , they can connect IXE , CJB , JAI , JDH too .

EmoticonsAllDay

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:33 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:

With SQ owning a part of UK, I highly think its unlikely for them to let UK towards OW.

unrave

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:02 pm

binayak wrote:
From DEL , they can connect IXE , CJB , JAI , JDH too .

IXE has hardly any domestic demand, CJB is well served by 6E and SG, JDH is too small too. There aren't many sectors that can absorb Vistara's premium capacity

JOYA380B747

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
With SQ owning a part of UK, I highly think its unlikely for them to let UK towards OW.

SQ's partial stake in UK has nothing much to do with UK's day to day operations. It has been mentioned in previous threads too that SQ has not and will not be meddling in the key decisions pertaining to UK's expansion thereby letting the latter operate rather autonomously.

Besides UK need not join OW then would merely align themselves with OW partners as 9W does with SkyTeam, based on what priorities UK has for its international ops. CX at HKG is a great option for codeshares to West coast North America. With closer interlining with BA, they could cover East coast as well. Another possibility for UK is making DEL at great stopover for Europe-Australasia which frankly I don't understand why no Indian carrier has been able to do so far.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

unrave

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:24 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
Another possibility for UK is making DEL at great stopover for Europe-Australasia which frankly I don't understand why no Indian carrier has been able to do so far.

Because it is an extremely competitive market: SQ, MH, TG, CX, EK, EY, QR, QF, BA all fly this. And the quality + reputation of Indian carriers is poor compared to most of these. Why fly AI why you can fly SQ for the same price?

JOYA380B747

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:04 pm

unrave wrote:
JOYA380B747 wrote:
Another possibility for UK is making DEL at great stopover for Europe-Australasia which frankly I don't understand why no Indian carrier has been able to do so far.

Because it is an extremely competitive market: SQ, MH, TG, CX, EK, EY, QR, QF, BA all fly this. And the quality + reputation of Indian carriers is poor compared to most of these. Why fly AI why you can fly SQ for the same price?

There is one thing Indian carriers can provide that to a large extent SQ, EK, EY, QR, MH, etc cannot is an extensive O&D market in their home base. Quality + reputation is the problem behind this lacking for which the two homegrown full service carriers AI and 9W are fully responsible. One with really no hope within the heinous confines of state ownership and measureless debts, and the other with only a marginally better glimmer of 'hope' (for lack of better word).

If and only if UK changes that image, can we see a better future for FSC in Indian aviation. Starting with better slots at DEL!!

vadodara

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:19 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
unrave wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

These were the exact noble thoughts that were used as a justification for nationalization. It provided nothing.

The opening to pvt sector has brought unprecedented growth and opportunity. Why change that.

anubhav787

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:26 pm

A question, Why doesn't SG fly to LKO? Can lack of enough infrastructure be a cause? There is huge traffic for flights to South and West India in LKO...
Also, is operating aircrafts like A320 and B737 to cities like Gorakhpur and Allahabad profitable considering the demand.?
To most people, the sky is the limit. For those who love aviation, the sky is the home.

VTCIE

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 am

JOYA380B747 wrote:
EmoticonsAllDay wrote:

SQ's partial stake in UK has nothing much to do with UK's day to day operations. It has been mentioned in previous threads too that SQ has not and will not be meddling in the key decisions pertaining to UK's expansion thereby letting the latter operate rather autonomously.

Besides UK need not join OW then would merely align themselves with OW partners as 9W does with SkyTeam, based on what priorities UK has for its international ops. CX at HKG is a great option for codeshares to West coast North America. With closer interlining with BA, they could cover East coast as well. Another possibility for UK is making DEL at great stopover for Europe-Australasia which frankly I don't understand why no Indian carrier has been able to do so far.

Vistara continues to trumpet the PART OF SINGAPORE AIRLINES line in every single little ad it releases. I don't see it in an alliance any time soon, because OW is absolutely out of the reckoning, and 9W is effectively in SkyTeam (though it never officially will).
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

unrave

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:55 am

dtw2hyd wrote:

Maxed out only till 2020. Growth will continue beyond 2020.

anshabhi

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:18 am

anubhav787 wrote:
A question, Why doesn't SG fly to LKO? Can lack of enough infrastructure be a cause? There is huge traffic for flights to South and West India in LKO...
Also, is operating aircrafts like A320 and B737 to cities like Gorakhpur and Allahabad profitable considering the demand.?

Maybe because they have exclusive rights to Kanpur

unrave

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:00 am

Vistara's next destination is likely to be Indore. The airline will announce double daily flights from Delhi in the summer schedule.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos