unrave

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - February 2019

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:35 am

Business Standard has shone some light on the crisis at IndiGo (article behind paywall)
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 545_1.html

The crux of the issue is as follows:

IndiGo stopped hiring pilots when neo deliveries got delayed in FY17. When the deliveries resumed last year, the airline found itself to be short of pilots so offered incentives for pilots to fly more. This was only a stop-gap measure as this meant a number of pilots exhausted their annual flying quota much earlier. Meanwhile hiring of expat pilots has hit a wall owing to regulatory issues and stiff competition from Chinese airlines. This has also meant the airline has been underutilising its planes.

To me it appears that the airline has to go slow on expansion for the next few months until they are able to induct more pilots.
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways

pune

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 am

unrave wrote:
Business Standard has shone some light on the crisis at IndiGo (article behind paywall)
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 545_1.html

The crux of the issue is as follows:

IndiGo stopped hiring pilots when neo deliveries got delayed in FY17. When the deliveries resumed last year, the airline found itself to be short of pilots so offered incentives for pilots to fly more. This was only a stop-gap measure as this meant a number of pilots exhausted their annual flying quota much earlier. Meanwhile hiring of expat pilots has hit a wall owing to regulatory issues and stiff competition from Chinese airlines. This has also meant the airline has been underutilising its planes.

To me it appears that the airline has to go slow on expansion for the next few months until they are able to induct more pilots.

The simple outcome of this is growing pains and a bit of mis-calculation with so many factors which are outside an Airline's control. Esp. with fares, regulatory environment, engine wear and failures, and airports themselves. It probably will take 4-5 years or a bit more to have things a bit more smoother.

Slightly OT - I was talking to a friend yesterday and he shared that he and his girlfriend had been to Paris and back with a lay-over at Egypt. Apparently the whole trip costed them INR 40k/- (including to and fro trip) . On the lay-over, it was more than 6 hours so they were given a hotel room, meals, trip to the Pyramids etc. I dunno if he was pulling my leg or those guys (Egypt Air) are really giving this kind of treatment, if anybody knows. It seems damned cheap just for the to and fro and on top of that getting hotel room, meals and trip to the Pyramids.

sand26391

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:54 pm

BLR Airport New Aircraft parking stands update.

Can't wait for the 2nd RWY to be ready at BLR.
Lot of infra upgradation will start in the coming months.... ! Good news all over wrt new routes aswell for SS19 & WS19/20.

dtw2hyd

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Couldn't find the exact date when a one-year notice period rule became effective. A draft CAR was published in August 2017, which is still in litigation.

It appears crew was proactive putting in their papers and airline was short-sighted to foresee the problem.

Another piece to Indigo's crew shortage puzzle, about attrition rates.

To be sure, IndiGo had kept its pilots happy in 2017-18 through large-scale promotions — some 700 pilots were promoted from first officers to senior first officers and captains to trainers — but is now running out of ideas. Since then attrition has shot up — cabin-crew attrition, which was controlled at 14%, has shot up to around 20%, while pilot attrition of 4% is now at around 10%.

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/68047503.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

unrave

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 pm

sand26391 wrote:

Can't wait for the 2nd RWY to be ready at BLR.

What is the expected ATM/hour capacity of the second runway?

sand26391

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:23 pm

^^ Max ATM/hr will be 55 for 2nd RWY.

unrave

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Singapore Airlines to introduce A350 at BLRAirport from 18 May. Gradually all BLR-SIN routes will be upgraded to A350.

sand26391 wrote:
Max ATM/hr will be 55 for 2nd RWY.

That makes it 99 ATM/hour. Should be good for about 95-100m annual pax

anshabhi

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:57 pm

So plans to revive commercial ops at HAL Airport remain grounded right?

Have there really been no major incidents at KIAL since it's inauguration? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempego ... al_Airport

Pretty sweet!

unrave

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:08 pm

anshabhi wrote:

Yes, for the simple reason that no airport can come up within 150 km of BLR, though they'll need one when BLR runs out of capacity in the next 12-15 years

sabby

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:29 pm

unrave wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Yes, for the simple reason that no airport can come up within 150 km of BLR, though they'll need one when BLR runs out of capacity in the next 12-15 years

I think I read it somewhere that it is effective only until 25 years since KIAL opened up ? Also, Does that clause only work inside KA or neighbor states as well ? Someone told me that there is an aerodrome just outside KA border but within 35-40km of the south Bengaluru that is used by airlines for MRO but can be renovated for narrow body ops with a terminal. Considering the distance of KIA from many parts of the city as well as the horrific traffic, could the aerodrome owners seize this opportunity attracting LCC domestic ops offering low landing/parking fees ?

sabby

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:32 pm

sand26391 wrote:
^^ Max ATM/hr will be 55 for 2nd RWY.

Does that include 40 ATM/hr of 1st runway or is it just for the 2nd runway alone ? If latter, then it is good planning by KIAL.

unrave

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:55 pm

sabby wrote:

I think I read it somewhere that it is effective only until 25 years since KIAL opened up ? Also, Does that clause only work inside KA or neighbor states as well ? Someone told me that there is an aerodrome just outside KA border but within 35-40km of the south Bengaluru that is used by airlines for MRO but can be renovated for narrow body ops with a terminal. Considering the distance of KIA from many parts of the city as well as the horrific traffic, could the aerodrome owners seize this opportunity attracting LCC domestic ops offering low landing/parking fees ?

That limitation is indeed valid for 25 years, so 2033 is when it lapses. It is applicable everywhere irrespective of the state. That MRO airport is located in Hosur and BIAL has given the NOC for operating a single UDAN flight there. There is definitely scope for expanding it in the future.

sabby wrote:
Does that include 40 ATM/hr of 1st runway or is it just for the 2nd runway alone ? If latter, then it is good planning by KIAL.

That is for the second runway.

sand26391

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Deleted (Same news posted by Unrave)

sabby

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:57 pm

unrave wrote:
sabby wrote:

That limitation is indeed valid for 25 years, so 2033 is when it lapses. It is applicable everywhere irrespective of the state. That MRO airport is located in Hosur and BIAL has given the NOC for operating a single UDAN flight there. There is definitely scope for expanding it in the future.

sabby wrote:

That is for the second runway.

Thanks for the info and confirmations ! BLR growth rate could go even higher once the new terminal comes up. Also, good to know there's alternative to KIA for future expansion, especially for the notorious traffic.

avier

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Can anyone guess what airport is being spoken of?

L&T bags airport construction job worth over Rs 7,000 crore

https://m.economictimes.com/industry/indl-goods/svs/construction/lt-arm-wins-over-rs-7000-crore-contract-for-building-major-airport/amp_articleshow/68047035.cms

unrave

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 pm

avier wrote:

https://m.economictimes.com/industry/indl-goods/svs/construction/lt-arm-wins-over-rs-7000-crore-contract-for-building-major-airport/amp_articleshow/68047035.cms

Likely to be a foreign airport. No airport of this size in India has been put to tender recently.

pune

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:31 pm

avier wrote:

I cheated, looked at the article, seems to be mumbai although doesn't say so ;)

anshabhi

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm

avier wrote:

I think its Delhi T4.
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/co ... 301770.ece

This article says that the project will increase capacity to 40 Million pax per year, which is exactly what Delhi T4's target is:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.financ ... 7878/lite/

Further, GMR group has already awarded HYD airport expansion contract to L&T, and they could be doing the same here

unrave

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:01 pm

anshabhi wrote:
I think its Delhi T4.

This article says that the project will increase capacity to 40 Million pax per year, which is exactly what Delhi T4's target is:

Further, GMR group has already awarded HYD airport expansion contract to L&T, and they could be doing the same here

Nice catch. I thought it was a new airport from the way the article was worded. If it is indeed DEL then L&T would be building the new terminals and runways at BLR, HYD and DEL!

avier

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:02 pm

^^^ Thanks all for your input. I believe @anshabi you could be right as the article states new elevated eastern taxiway which on Googling the that item alone brings up all older IGI articles about elevated taxiway.

subramak1

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:15 pm

avier wrote:
I always felt IAF should have moved out of PNQ and should have instead been given the new Purandar land as their new IAF airstrip. PNQ being exapanded and used solely for commercial ops. Maybe logistically, a lot of IAF offices may have to be moved, but overall it would benefit the city greatly.

I don't see the need for airforce planes flying in and around close to city centres like at PNQ or even HAL- Bengaluru. The recent accident at HAL was scary in the sense its located right in the heart of Bengaluru and if the plane went off the airport boundary, things could have been far worst.

What about Lohegoan airbase and the airfare camp that is associated with the facility? I think the new airport is better for Pune. Lohegaon would have cost a lot to develop to an airport once you factor in cost to be paid to IAF to move their camp and staff quarters

Subu

lightsaber

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm

unrave wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
I think its Delhi T4.

Nice catch. I thought it was a new airport from the way the article was worded. If it is indeed DEL then L&T would be building the new terminals and runways at BLR, HYD and DEL!

New runways and terminal space is an excellent addition! India needs hub capacity (those turboprops need connections to be viable).

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

sibibom

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Sounds like BLR, or has the work already begun there? or could be HYD?

anshabhi

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Work has already begun at BLR and HYD, and both are publicly known.

I am quite surprised now how cheap constructing airports could be. You can literally build a 40 million capacity terminal from scratch for the same cost as 10 B787s (assuming a $120million/unit cost).
Or rather, how expensive aircraft are

anshabhi

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:12 am

Israeli airline Arkia Airlines Ltd. today announced that it would introduce flights to two destinations in India: Goa and Cochin in the state of Kerala.

Arkia will operate the new flights from September 2019 using recently acquired Airbus 321neoLR airliners. Flights will take seven hours and will take place all year round, except for the summer in Israel, which is the monsoon season in India.

Sales of tickets for the flights will begin on March 24. Arkia stated that prices would begin at $250 in each direction to and from Cochin and $300 in each direction to and from Goa.

https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-arki ... 1001272773

Great news !!!! LCC on India-Israel route, with some real affordable fares. I expect a lot of Indians to visit Israel with these flights too

ameya

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 am

Route Dispersal Guidelines in Indian aviation, explained

As Jet Airways withdrew from multiple stations across the country, the attention quickly shifted to a flight between Guwahati and Dehradun which the airline had announced. Many times, nonstop flights between two cities are a result of traffic building up on one stop flights. That’s what happened for Bengaluru-Lucknow or Delhi-Kochi. At other times, it is opening of new airports like Shirdi, and the third unique case is where the scheduled airlines have to adhere to the Route Dispersal Guidelines (RDG), which is probably the reason for the start of Guwahati-Dehradun flight.

The RDGs came into effect in 1994, along with liberalisation of air travel in the country. The intention was to connect the remote and less accessible areas and airports in Jammu & Kashmir, the North East along with Bagdogra (Which is in West Bengal), Andaman & Nicobar Islands (Port Blair is the only commercially operational airport) and Lakshadweep islands (Agatti) were part of the group of airports categorised as remote. The RDGs were modified in 2016 when the National Civil Aviation Policy was announced and further amended to include more airports (From Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand) and today form a complex mechanism in Indian Aviation Industry.

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 am

IMHO, RDG is redundant with RCS. Collect RCS cess and give routes to SpiceJet and Indigo. Very simple.

avier

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:58 am

SpiceJet on February 19 stated that it will start 12 new direct flights on its domestic network from March 31, 2019. "SpiceJet is the first Indian carrier to introduce daily direct flights on the Bhopal-Surat-Bhopal, Gorakhpur-Mumbai-Gorakhpur and Jaipur-Dharamshala-Jaipur sectors," the airline said in its statement.

The airline also announced on February 19 that it will start two new flights on Delhi-Bhopal route as well as on Bhopal-Delhi route.

It will also be flying a new daily flight from March 31 between Bhopal and Mumbai.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/companies/spicejet-to-start-12-new-domestic-flights-from-march-31-3558831.html

So that's:
Bhopal-Surat
Mumbai-Gorakhpur
Jaipur-Dharamshala
Delhi-Bhopal
Mumbai - Bhopal

unrave

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
IMHO, RDG is redundant with RCS. Collect RCS cess and give routes to SpiceJet and Indigo. Very simple.

The biggest beneficiary of RCS is the taxpayer leachAir India (Alliance Air)
For a number of its RCS routes IndiGo quoted a zero cess.

avier wrote:
Mumbai-Gorakhpur

SG replaces Mumbai-Udaipur with Mumbai-Gorakhpur.

avier

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 pm

^ And replaces Mumbai- Jaisalmer with Mumbai- Bhopal, but only up until W'19 schedule as published, after which the former route is scheduled again.

unrave

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:46 pm

avier wrote:
And replaces Mumbai- Jaisalmer with Mumbai- Bhopal, but only up until W'19 schedule as published, after which the former route is scheduled again.

The chopping and churning of routes makes SG such an unreliable carrier with no network continuity. They announce a route with fanfare, operate a monopoly for 6 months, 6E launches soon after and they cede the market to 6E. I have seen this play out in many, many routes,

pune

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 pm

unrave wrote:
avier wrote:
And replaces Mumbai- Jaisalmer with Mumbai- Bhopal, but only up until W'19 schedule as published, after which the former route is scheduled again.

The chopping and churning of routes makes SG such an unreliable carrier with no network continuity. They announce a route with fanfare, operate a monopoly for 6 months, 6E launches soon after and they cede the market to 6E. I have seen this play out in many, many routes,

What can be understood from that is, they help create the market for 6E and then hand it to them. And by SG you meant Spicejet right, shouldn't that be then SJ rarther than SG ?
Last edited by pune on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Some Indian media outlets are reporting 6E changed crew scheduling software four times in last few years to increase crew productivity, which drove out pilots and cabin crew.
https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... mber-2018/

Guess what, 6E uses same crew scheduling software EK uses, and crew started leaving in droves since it started "using" the same software.
Not blaming the software, it is a very powerful tool to improve crew productivity, but in wrong hands can yield unexpected results.

pune

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:14 pm

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 047503.cms

This explains the pilots crisis in a bit more detail of Indigo

unrave

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:19 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Guess what, 6E uses same crew scheduling software EK uses, and crew started leaving in droves since it started "using" the same software.
Not blaming the software, it is a very powerful tool to improve crew productivity, but in wrong hands can yield unexpected results.

That article makes no mention of the name of the software. Interesting that EK could be using the same software when we don't even know what that software.

binayak

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 pm

pune wrote:

What can be understood from that is, they help create the market for 6E and then hand it to them. And by SG you meant Spicejet right, shouldn't that be then SJ rarther than SG ?

Spicejet's IATA code is SG!
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

unrave

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:24 pm

pune wrote:

SG is the IATA code for SpiceJet

avier

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 pm

unrave wrote:
SG replaces Mumbai-Udaipur with Mumbai-Gorakhpur.

BOM-GOP actually replaces the current BOM-KNU flight using same flight no. also, with the later replacing the current second daily of BOM-COK, again using the same flight no. of the replaced COK flight. Which means they hold an open slot of BOM-UDR if that routes been axed and will announce yet another route .

In summary they've chopped three flights from BOM - JSA/UDR/COK(2nd service) & announced two BOM-BHO/GOP with a bit of shuffling.

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:33 pm

pune wrote:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/et-explains/explained-why-indigo-is-struggling-to-find-pilots-to-fly-its-planes/articleshow/68047503.cms

That is a PG-rated version. Originally ET Explains(free) had a detailed version as ET Prime(behind a paywall), later ET free version was sanitized, but I think it was replicated by others. Google search still has traces and this one. Read quickly!!!

https://www.indiafinancenews.com/explai ... ts-planes/

pune

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:10 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
pune wrote:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/et-explains/explained-why-indigo-is-struggling-to-find-pilots-to-fly-its-planes/articleshow/68047503.cms

That is a PG-rated version. Originally ET Explains(free) had a detailed version as ET Prime(behind a paywall), later ET free version was sanitized, but I think it was replicated by others. Google search still has traces and this one. Read quickly!!!

https://www.indiafinancenews.com/explai ... ts-planes/

I think it also got sanitised after you shared because when I tried to see it, it was all word-to-word the one for the economic times and even says economic times as the soure :(

unrave

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:22 pm

Airbus claims 95% of PW engines flying in India have been retrofitted with modifications
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -shutdowns

pune

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 am

Maybe somebody can read it and share the essentials with us - https://www.bloombergquint.com/bq-blue- ... -will-work (it's behind paywall)

sibibom

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:38 am

unrave wrote:
Airbus claims 95% of PW engines flying in India have been retrofitted with modifications
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -shutdowns

Probably explains part of Indigo's pilot woes, not many planes are grounded to hide the shortfall.

unrave

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:55 am

DGCA data for Jan 2019:

Jan 2018 month pax: 12.5m (+9.1%)
Traffic growth falls to single digit after 53 months.
SpiceJet crosses Air India in domestic traffic for the first time

binayak

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 am

unrave wrote:
DGCA data for Jan 2019:

There are other articles saying how many airlines have flown empty seats this time . Anyways nice to see price discipline back again . Now , for those who were pampered with Rs 599/ 999 fares , you'll see a lot of hue and cry by them on twitter !

unrave

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 am

binayak wrote:
There are other articles saying how many airlines have flown empty seats this time . Anyways nice to see price discipline back again . Now , for those who were pampered with Rs 599/ 999 fares , you'll see a lot of hue and cry by them on twitter !

The load factors are still quite healthy though. SpiceJet is the only airline that is adding significant domestic capacity now.

pune

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:17 am

binayak wrote:
unrave wrote:
DGCA data for Jan 2019:

Even after that, the price used to be in the INR 3k+ range, whatever the base-price they may say (one-way), not exactly for the 'aam aadmi' I would say.

binayak

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:16 am

pune wrote:
Even after that, the price used to be in the INR 3k+ range, whatever the base-price they may say (one-way), not exactly for the 'aam aadmi' I would say.

You'll never find or airlines will never provide you one way tickets for cheap.
It's always the return tickets which go cheap to rock bottom.
Still if you compare average prices, even 7-8 years ago, getting < 3k RT fares (US $43 ) from BOM to DEL was unimaginable. And as you said, majority of the population couldn't afford that, so there's little need for lowering prices more. Now, growth will continue to happen profitably.

unrave

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Vistara announces the launch of 2x daily flights between Delhi and Raipur wef 31MAR19. Raipur is Vistara's 23rd destination. This route is currently served 4x daily by IndiGo and 1x daily by Air India

binayak

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:41 pm

unrave wrote:
Vistara announces the launch of 2x daily flights between Delhi and Raipur wef 31MAR19. Raipur is Vistara's 23rd destination. This route is currently served 4x daily by IndiGo and 1x daily by Air India

Is there enough business traffic between DEL and Raipur to warrant 2x daily Vistara flights? That's 16J and 36Y+ on each side.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos