RCS763AV
Topic Author

BOG gets USA pre clearance in less than a year

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 am

https://www.eltiempo.com/politica/gobierno/duque-anuncia-que-inmigracion-para-estados-unidos-se-podria-hacer-en-el-dorado-321324

(link only in spanish sorry)

Today Colombian president Iván Duque mentioned that talks with US authorities to install US Pre-Clearance facilities in BOG are well advanced and that the facility could start working "in less than a year". All departing passengers from the Colombian capital to the United States will be able to clear U.S. Customs before entering the United States. Flights from BOG will be treated as domestic once they arrive in the United States.

This is a great step for BOG! Which other airports outside of Canada, Aruba and Ireland have pre-clearance facilities? I think PUJ is also in the process of getting them, don´t know if CUN...

rph99

Re: BOG gets USA pre clearance in less than a year

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:19 am

Surely Panama is a realistic prediction for the next one.

LAXintl

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:23 am

Yes BOG was one of the 21 airports designated in 2015/2016 by DHS that they were in negotiations with host governments about establishing preclearance.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

djm18

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:32 am

I was hoping SJO would be a candidate for this, would make good sense and LIR too.

BBDFlyer

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:00 am

Abu Dhabi has preclearance.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:24 am

Nassau Bahamas has it

Ziyulu

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:36 am

So if Panama has it, that means CA's flight to IAH can be treated as domestic?

MalevTU134

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:00 am

Ziyulu wrote:
So if Panama has it, that means CA's flight to IAH can be treated as domestic?

First of all, nobody said PTY has it; it doesn't. As to your question, once PTY gets it, sure, since both PTY-IAH local passengers as well as those continuing on to China have to in essence get into the US (and out again, if they are continuing to China). There is no TWOV in the US, not even on same-plane connections. (Exception is (or was?) NZ1/2 at LAX, where a special holding room for transiting passengers to LHR and AKL is (was?) arranged.)

Mboyle1988

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:23 am

Would be better if it were in major connection airports like LHR or DXB.

User001

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 am

I believe ARN (Stockholm) announced that the formal sign off had occurred so was just a matter of implementing it.

Manchester are in advanced talks but has stalled slightly due to Brexit and the fact the whole U.K.-USA bilateral needed re-organising. It’s supposed to go in one of the new piers at T2. There is a state of confusion with it however, as there are many saying it has been cancelled full stop, but the official airport line is that negotiations are still ongoing. I believe there is also an issue with U.K. allowing armed US personell to operate in public spaces (although the U.K. has armed US personel around some Air Force bases so surely can be agreed upon in time).

ShyTraveler

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:29 am

OSL or ARN or CPH, please? :)

NTLDaz

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:30 am

Mboyle1988 wrote:

There are a heap of Airports all around the world which qualify. However, the host country has to pay for it. Seems a dumb thing to do to me.

Brickell305

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:36 am

RCS763AV wrote:
https://www.eltiempo.com/politica/gobierno/duque-anuncia-que-inmigracion-para-estados-unidos-se-podria-hacer-en-el-dorado-321324

(link only in spanish sorry)

Today Colombian president Iván Duque mentioned that talks with US authorities to install US Pre-Clearance facilities in BOG are well advanced and that the facility could start working "in less than a year". All departing passengers from the Colombian capital to the United States will be able to clear U.S. Customs before entering the United States. Flights from BOG will be treated as domestic once they arrive in the United States.

This is a great step for BOG! Which other airports outside of Canada, Aruba and Ireland have pre-clearance facilities? I think PUJ is also in the process of getting them, don´t know if CUN...

The Bahamas and Bermuda have it as well.

MIflyer12

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 am

Mboyle1988 wrote:

For the 12-months ending 6/18 there were 21 foreign airports that were bigger non-stop gateways to the U.S. than DXB, including PTY, SJD and PTY.

arcticcruiser

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:35 pm

How much of a benefit is preclearance? Does´nt matter to me whether I am stuck in a line in YYZ (actually two lines there sometimes) or anywhere USA. I have whisked through in many places in the USA especially after the computerized process was implemented. So where is the benedit? Obviously not cost beneficial for most foreign countries.

arcticcruiser

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:

No, it would actually create kaos in major connecting airports.

OzarkD9S

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:50 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:

How much of a benefit is preclearance? Does´nt matter to me whether I am stuck in a line in YYZ (actually two lines there sometimes) or anywhere USA. I have whisked through in many places in the USA especially after the computerized process was implemented. So where is the benedit? Obviously not cost beneficial for most foreign countries.

The benefits are for the passengers and FIS agents at US airports. For pax you're off the plane and on to your home or connecting flight without time consuming FIS processing and the possibility of missing your onward connection. For FIS agents, fewer pax to process at point of entry.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

jfklganyc

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:02 pm

I has the misfortune of going through AUA the other day.

What a disaster of lines, twists, turns and checkpoints.

Frankly, if you dont arrive hours early during the weekend push, you will miss your flight.

Couldnt be much worse to clear customs in US

arcticcruiser

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:13 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:

The benefits are for the passengers and FIS agents at US airports. For pax you're off the plane and on to your home or connecting flight without time consuming FIS processing and the possibility of missing your onward connection. For FIS agents, fewer pax to process at point of entry.

The CBP Officers are just doing their job. There would be other CBP Officers at foreign pre-clearance stations. So this is a mute point.
At least I do not have to be at the departing airport 3-4 hrs before departure to stand in more lines. I simply do not see any benefit to this for e.g. European airports. Anyone who plans a tight connection coming off a TATL flight which may vary 1-2 hrs in length due winds is either ignorant or a fool.

airbazar

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:

Hell NO!
Pre-clearance does not work at a large connecting hub unless the host airport throws lots of money at it and even then it's debatable. Pre-clearance works best an an airport with high volume O&D passengers.
At LHR your quick 1 hour conx would turn into a 3 hour conx of mostly standing in line and lots of missed connections or delayed flights due to people being delayed in the CBP line.
arcticcruiser wrote:
How much of a benefit is preclearance? Does´nt matter to me whether I am stuck in a line in YYZ (actually two lines there sometimes) or anywhere USA.

IMO it depends on a few factors: 1) whether you're connecting or O&D, 2) whether you have checked luggage, 3) whether your final destination has CBP or not.
I connected thru YYZ once (last year), and spent over 1 hour in the customs room just waiting for my bags to clear. It was a horrible experience. Lucky for us there were a few people in the same situation so they held the flight for us or we would have missed the flight. It was a horrible experience. But I was flying YYC-YYZ-BOS and there are no non-stop flights between YYC and BOS so a conx with immigration clearance would always be required. In this case it makes no difference where the connection was.
But whenever possible I will always take a seamless connection with immigration clearance at my destination. For example: CDG-LHR-BOS will always win over CDG-JFK-BOS.

Howardt

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 pm

BDA had preclearance with the US for over 40 years. It was one of the first countries to have this arrangement

flyingdoc787

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:02 pm

I guess there are varying experiences with Pre-Clearance. I once flew FCO-DUB-ORD on Aer Lingus. Flight from FCO was delayed over an hour and my two hour connection in DUB turned into a half-hour of running through the maze between terminals and figuring out the right place to go (it was my first time in DUB to connect to a US-bound flight). Luckily, there was a herd of passengers in the same situation, and when we got to the US Immigration counters, the agents knew they were dealing with folks who needed to get to their planes ASAP. They did not spend too much time asking questions and looking at forms. My passport was stamped in seconds and off I ran to the gate. (Perhaps it helped that I had a US Passport.) My flight to Chicago was already boarding when I got there, but after that I was fine. The best part came when we landed in ORD. I walked off the plane and straight to baggage claim. I was out of the airport and in my car in minutes!
Another time I flew YYZ-ORD and I wasn’t coming from a connecting flight so I didn’t have to rush to the CBP facilities. Again, I enjoyed the experience Stateside where I was able to get out of the airport in minutes.
So as with anything in life, there’s pro’s and con’s to Pre-Clearance. Personally, I’d take it wherever it’s offered, and I’m happy to know that more airports such as BOG are interested in setting it up.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:06 pm

User001 wrote:
I believe ARN (Stockholm) announced that the formal sign off had occurred so was just a matter of implementing it.

Manchester are in advanced talks but has stalled slightly due to Brexit and the fact the whole U.K.-USA bilateral needed re-organising. It’s supposed to go in one of the new piers at T2. There is a state of confusion with it however, as there are many saying it has been cancelled full stop, but the official airport line is that negotiations are still ongoing. I believe there is also an issue with U.K. allowing armed US personell to operate in public spaces (although the U.K. has armed US personel around some Air Force bases so surely can be agreed upon in time).

The US bilateral agreement with Ireland (where preclearance is operational at DUB and SNN) does not allow US personnel (including CBP agents) to carry firearms at Irish airport like they do at US airports. Additionally, they are not recognised as law enforcement officers here as they are in the US. I imagine similar agreements are in place with the Bahamas/Canadian/Dutch/UAE/UK governments for the operation of preclearance in their territories.

pgh234

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:02 pm

US Preclearance is a moronic waste of time and money and a pain-in-the-a$$ for passengers. I wish this virus could be stopped. The notable peak-and-valley schedule of flights departing from foreign airports to the US, combined with minimal staffing compared to a US airport, tends to result in significant delays vs just clearing like normal in the US. I hate AUA with a passion. DUB also sucks. I find it hard to believe anywhere else is better. I hate showing up to the airport 3.5 hours early when I am on vacation when it would just take me 5-15 minutes to clear like normal in the US.

dcajet

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:42 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:

It is for the US. In a way. the US exports the burden of having to increase space dedicated to FIS/CBP facilities at its airports to accommodate present and future traffic to other countries & airports. It also provides the US authorities with much more control at foreign airports.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

YYZLGA

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:01 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
There is no TWOV in the US, not even on same-plane connections. (Exception is (or was?) NZ1/2 at LAX, where a special holding room for transiting passengers to LHR and AKL is (was?) arranged.)

Many years ago, I remember flying KE from YYZ to SEL with a stop at ORD. I recall a similar arrangement, where we were put into a sealed holding room. I don't think we cleared U.S. customs, though I must admit my memory may be faulty after twenty years.

pgh234 wrote:
US Preclearance is a moronic waste of time and money and a pain-in-the-a$$ for passengers. I wish this virus could be stopped. The notable peak-and-valley schedule of flights departing from foreign airports to the US, combined with minimal staffing compared to a US airport, tends to result in significant delays vs just clearing like normal in the US. I hate AUA with a passion. DUB also sucks. I find it hard to believe anywhere else is better. I hate showing up to the airport 3.5 hours early when I am on vacation when it would just take me 5-15 minutes to clear like normal in the US.

I guess it depends on the circumstances. At YYZ, I find it works very well, likely because of the sheer number of flights to the USA meaning that it's pretty well staffed. Having Global Entry helps. I also am quite happy about being able to fly to LGA and DCA, which wouldn't otherwise be possible.

alggag

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:06 pm

Add me to the list of people that hate preclearance. Long, painfully slow moving lines and multiple security screenings. I don't see how people claim that it's convenient when you show up 3.5 hours before your flight and still have to rush onto the plane.

AWACSooner

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Pre-clearance in Canada: never had any issues
Pre-clearance in the Caribbean: yah...bad, bad, BAD

Gabrielz

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:08 pm

I think you may be missing the important history of Pre-Clearance.

In the United States the vast (80+%) majority of the country’s traffic flows are DOMESTIC. This is an unusual configuration, applicable to only a handful of large nations around the world.

In those kinds of places, putting immigration clearance at every podunk airport would be very expensive, and vastly reduce the volume of foreign hub —> US point, especially if it’s high volume. This is the reason PFI made sense in Canada - Toronto is much larger than 90% of the US cities served from YYZ. it is way more efficient to do it there.

Now, things have evolved and many more localities have pushed to have FIS, making this less relevant.

But the US pushed this forward because they want to deny entry to people in the foreign country (vs on US soil). It allows them to act without concern for the constitution and to avoid the expense and hassle of improsoning and/or detaining unwanted entrants. They simply deny them there and let local authorities deal with the fallout.

-G

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:

The interventions of some users on these threads sometimes leave so much to be desired.

BOG is a major connection airport to the US form South America. It hosts a very decent amount of non-stops to the United States, which I will list right now:

Avianca
MIA 4x daily
JFK 3x daily
MCO 2x daily
FLL 1x daily
IAD 1x daily
BOS 1x daily
LAX 1x daily
ORD 4x weekly

LATAM
MIA 1x daily

American Airlines
MIA 3x daily
DFW 1x daily

United
IAH 2x daily
EWR 1-2x daily*

Jetblue
MCO 1-2x daily*
FLL 1-2x daily*

Spirit
FLL 1x daily
MCO 1x daily

Delta
ATL 1x daily

* seasonal adjustments

It has more daily non-stops than other airports who already have pre-clearance like AUH or AUA. I bet there is less frequency from DXB to the US than from BOG also.

I'm glad to hear that more and more airports are applying for this.

pgh234 wrote:

You've clearly never spent 3 hours is MIA clearing customs with 8-9 agents handling 8 widebodies from south america at once. I for once think that having pre-clearance, especially for BOG-originated pax, will take much of the hassle of arriving tired in MIA or missing connections due to the slow process. Clearly this is a measure that benefits non-american passengers the most, so probably that's why you don't think it's beneficial.

The amount of international-to-international connections that US carriers are going to b getting from BOG will surely grow exponentially.

grbauc

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:12 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:

If you travel you will get it.. LAX MIA are two entry points that can be a big pain. So lets take BOG now if I can clear customs there in 30 min time vs LAX customs of 60+ min's and a mad house of people to deal with. So time and hassle, plus that fact that im already heading to the airport early most times so clearing customs while/with time id most likely be wasting anyways.

Why the said Country/ City would pay for it is to attract tourist, and business flyers with easy airport flow.
Last edited by grbauc on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mercure1

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:14 pm

I am a big fan of U.S. pre-clearance.

I much rather do it in the begining of the trip then have to stand in line and stress at the end of the long journey.

It is so much more pleasant to disembark as a domestic passenger, not have to be screened and do security again on the U.S end before making a connection inside the U.S. Now simply walk over to your next gate, no worries, no stress, no need to build a big connection time buffer.

Also obviously the process also benefits airlines and U.S. government. Any problematic passengers remain at the point of origin and do not arrive in the U.S requiring being returned by the airlines.
mercure f-wtcc

grbauc

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:19 pm

alggag wrote:
Add me to the list of people that hate preclearance. Long, painfully slow moving lines and multiple security screenings. I don't see how people claim that it's convenient when you show up 3.5 hours before your flight and still have to rush onto the plane.

Times I've used it, I have never had to be there 3.5 hours before. Most of my trips I'm already at the airport early has a tourist. Business travel could be different.

SNN99

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:25 pm

Love CBP. Used it in SNN in 2017 and it’s so much easier than stressing at the other end, Arriving in JFK was amazing, off the plane..collect our bags and out the door all in around 20-30 mins

N6168E

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:49 pm

My name is on the list, someone else. At a minimum, I get pulled aside for 30 minutes. One time at JFK, it was 3 hours. That time, they said that it wouldn't happen again, but that hasn't been the case. Another time in DUB, it was an hour, which was getting me nervous because you never know how long it's going to be. If I miss a flight, I'd rather have it be in the USA.

iadadd

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 pm

U.S. Preclearence only works well in hubs such as YYZ or YVR given there are many flights to smaller U.S. destinations that lack or have minimal CBP facilities. In addition when connecting from International flight to US via those hubs, passengers do not have to claim their bags while in transit. This makes flying combinations such as DEL-YYZ-SAN far more convenient than DEL-EWR-SAN

IMO, Preclearence is pointless in countries where virtually all U.S. flights are heading to major U.S airports that already have relatively well staffed CBP facilities. Plus the costs of maintaining staff at these destinations must be high.

N6168E

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Delete. Duplicate post.

Ziyulu

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Does having pre-clearance make a certain flight a certain freedom? Like 5th freedom?

MalevTU134

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Does having pre-clearance make a certain flight a certain freedom? Like 5th freedom?

:shakehead: Why would it??

LTU932

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
No, it just means that the immigration and customs inspection into the US occurs at the foreign airport of origin, permitting the flight to arrive in the US like a domestic flight.

I know it's a longshot for SJO to get one, but if PTY was to get pre-clearance, I'd really wouldn't mind backtracking just for that purpose.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LAXLHR

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Gabrielz wrote:
I think you may be missing the important history of Pre-Clearance.

In the United States the vast (80+%) majority of the country’s traffic flows are DOMESTIC. This is an unusual configuration, applicable to only a handful of large nations around the world.

In those kinds of places, putting immigration clearance at every podunk airport would be very expensive, and vastly reduce the volume of foreign hub —> US point, especially if it’s high volume. This is the reason PFI made sense in Canada - Toronto is much larger than 90% of the US cities served from YYZ. it is way more efficient to do it there.

Now, things have evolved and many more localities have pushed to have FIS, making this less relevant.

But the US pushed this forward because they want to deny entry to people in the foreign country (vs on US soil). It allows them to act without concern for the constitution and to avoid the expense and hassle of improsoning and/or detaining unwanted entrants. They simply deny them there and let local authorities deal with the fallout.

-G

Great points.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

Ziyulu

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:23 pm

Also, does anyone know if all flights leaving Toronto to the U.S. get pre-clearance or just certain ones?

MalevTU134

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:56 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Also, does anyone know if all flights leaving Toronto to the U.S. get pre-clearance or just certain ones?

As far as I know, it is all scheduled flights. Probably charter flights as well.

klkla

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:40 am

How does Global Entry work in this case?

I breeze through immigration in the U.S. all the time with GE. If I had to wait in a long line in BOG as a result of this I would not be a happy camper.

pipeafcr

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:01 am

IF pre-clearance does arrive at BOG, the entire set up will be botched as the only option would be to put ICE agents side by side with Migración Colombia. Delays are to be expected like in the Caribbean
Felipe Carrillo

sagechan

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:01 am

While we have many idiotic reasons for preclearance here in the US, it actually makes a lot of sense for international destinations that want to fly to a lot of different US cities. Transborder flights from Canada, and if they'd do it, certain Mexican cities (CUN) make a lot of sense. Whereas longhaul cities make less sense because of both variability in flight times and limited need/desire to fly to smaller US cities that can't handle CBP duties. From a destination standpoints LHR would make a lot of sense, but from an operational one you'd basically need a terminal dedicated to US flights exclusively.

I do wonder if it would be possible to meet US needs by having US CBP do the entry screening in the same place as international countries do the exit screening. Basically if going to US you get cleared to exit then a US customs officer would come and screen you for entry.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

Brickell305

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:02 am

klkla wrote:
How does Global Entry work in this case?

I breeze through immigration in the U.S. all the time with GE. If I had to wait in a long line in BOG as a result of this I would not be a happy camper.

There is Global Entry at preclearance airports. They’re really no different than stateside CBP except that mobile passport isn’t available.

Brickell305

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:04 am

pipeafcr wrote:
IF pre-clearance does arrive at BOG, the entire set up will be botched as the only option would be to put ICE agents side by side with Migración Colombia. Delays are to be expected like in the Caribbean

Why on God’s green earth would they need ICE agents in another country?

pipeafcr

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:09 am

Brickell305 wrote:
pipeafcr wrote:

Same reason there are DEA agents working in Colombia, the current government offers too many concessions and sovereignty to them means little.
Felipe Carrillo

Brickell305

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:13 am

pipeafcr wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
pipeafcr wrote:

Same reason there are DEA agents working in Colombia, the current government offers too many concessions and sovereignty to them means little.

ICE would serve absolutely zero purpose in Colombia, any other foreign country or any official port of entry in the US for that matter. What exactly do you think ICE could enforce in Colombia? The immigration laws of the US don’t apply there and anyone who wasn’t entitled to enter the US would simply be denied entry by CBP officers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos