ClassicLover
Topic Author

Re: Irish 1/19 : New year, new ... us!

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Head For Points are reporting that at the oneworld alliance 20th birthday event in London today, Willie Walsh said there is a "very realistic" chance of Aer Lingus joining the alliance as a oneworld Connect member.

No surprises there. You need full commercial ties with a minimum of three alliance members.

Personally, I believe it will be BA, AA, AY, IB with the joint venture and maybe CX and QF. As a guess...

The Aer Lingus CEO was at the event today too, so I'd say it's pretty much going to happen.
Last edited by ClassicLover on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

rojam

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:05 pm

KLM flights (8 daily) between AMS and DUB to be operated by Stobart Air from later this month in a wet-lease arrangement.
The aircraft will be four E190/195's (apparently already sourced, or reassigned, by Stobart) in a high use flying regime (from 04h55 to 21h25 over the average day).

Ref. Lucht Vaart Nieuws (in de Nederlandse taal).
My 1000th flight: WVB-CPT on SW....no Aer Lingus or Air France or DUB or LON or ZRH or AMS

OA260

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:23 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Head For Points are reporting that at the oneworld alliance 20th birthday event in London today, Willie Walsh said there is a "very realistic" chance of Aer Lingus joining the alliance as a oneworld Connect member.

No surprises there. You need full commercial ties with a minimum of three alliance members.

Personally, I believe it will be BA, AA, AY, IB with the joint venture and maybe CX and QF. As a guess...

The Aer Lingus CEO was at the event today too, so I'd say it's pretty much going to happen.

The sooner the better. Will be interesting to see the finer details in regards to FF benefits and how limited they will be.

shamrock350

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Ah the old One World story, it comes around every couple months like clockwork.

Aer Lingus rejoining the alliance is inevitable, it has been since the take over no matter how much cold water IAG tried to pour over the idea. The problem was the appetite to rejoin wasn't there with Aer Lingus management, the airline had done very well post alliance and saw it as an expensive and potentially limiting exercise that would cost the airline in the long term.

Aer Lingus has indeed thawed to the idea over time and we're finally seeing movement on the transatlantic joint venture after assurances were given that the United, JetBlue and Air Canada partnerships wouldn't be at risk but rejoining One World is a different story and would probably take more convincing so what happens? IAG say goodbye to Mr Kavanagh and hello Mr Doyle, head of fleet planning and airline alliances at British Airways!

It remains to be see if it will be worth it, the old stock weren't too convinced, but alliance membership is inevitable for Aer Lingus now.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:37 pm

OA260 wrote:
The sooner the better. Will be interesting to see the finer details in regards to FF benefits and how limited they will be.

Well, judging by that, it is full benefits with the sponsor airlines. Both earning, redeeming and status recognition.

It's only partial (ie: priority check-in and priority boarding) for the airlines that are not sponsoring.

The only reason Fiji's Tabua members don't have "earn mileage rewards", "redeem mileage rewards", and "earn frequent flyer status points" is because their programme doesn't do that really.

So all that remains to be seen is who Aer Lingus will link with :)

OA260

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:44 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Well, judging by that, it is full benefits with the sponsor airlines. Both earning, redeeming and status recognition.

It's only partial (ie: priority check-in and priority boarding) for the airlines that are not sponsoring.

The only reason Fiji's Tabua members don't have "earn mileage rewards", "redeem mileage rewards", and "earn frequent flyer status points" is because their programme doesn't do that really.

So all that remains to be seen is who Aer Lingus will link with :)

Id like it to be BA IB AA but thats just a personal wish. Having full benefits on EI BA IB AA would be great.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:03 pm

OA260 wrote:
Id like it to be BA IB AA but thats just a personal wish. Having full benefits on EI BA IB AA would be great.

My guess is that IB and BA are a given as they're IAG. I think AA is probably top of the list as well for onward connections in the US.

I'll be interested to see the others, remembering EI still have frequent flyer relationships with CX and QF, so that could be Asia and Australia as well.

alancostello

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:27 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

My guess is that IB and BA are a given as they're IAG. I think AA is probably top of the list as well for onward connections in the US.

I'll be interested to see the others, remembering EI still have frequent flyer relationships with CX and QF, so that could be Asia and Australia as well.

EI codeshares to, and onwards from, HKG would be a dream. Would love to have an EI flight number all the way to SYD or PER.

SQ22

Irish 2/19

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Link to thread of previous month:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411823

OA260

Re: Irish 2/19

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:07 pm

New Derry to Manchester route will be daily service

A new daily flight route between Derry and Manchester - with connecting flights across the world - is expected to be signed off within weeks, it has emerged. Representatives from Flybmi and City of Derry Airport said that an agreement which will allow for the introduction of the new route is expected to be concluded by mid-February.

www.derryjournal.com/news/new-derry-to- ... -1-8793288

---

Shocking footage shows group of men fighting in Belfast International Airport

Police are investigating a fight between a group of men in Belfast International Airport on Saturday evening.

A video of the incident was shared on social media by a man who filmed it live on Facebook.

www.derryjournal.com/news/crime/shockin ... -1-8795495

---

Patrick O’Donovan seeking meeting with IAA as Foynes Air Show is cancelled
MINISTER of State Patrick O’Donovan is seeking a meeting with the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) following the announcement that the authority had withdrawn as the main sponsor of the Foynes Air Show.

Show director, Margaret O’Shaughnessy announced on Tuesday that the air spectacular would not be going ahead this year. The withdrawal of the IAA sponsorship and the difficulty in finding a new sponsor at short notice had forced the cancellation, she said.

“The disappointment has been compounded by the fact that this year is a big year for the Foynes Flying Boat and Maritime Museum as it celebrates its 30th birthday on July 8, and we also mark the 80th anniversary of the first commercial passenger flight over the Atlantic this year,” Ms O’Shaughnessy said.

www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/361714/ ... elled.html

IrishTexan

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Flew DFW/LHR/SNN and back last month. First time using the EI lounge at LHR. Found staff very friendly and the location great for views and gate access. Surprised that the majority of seats are so worn and/or stained. Will there be a lounge refresh with the new branding?
We were impressed by the Boru lounge in SNN. Very nice way to relax before our early morning departure. Much improved over our last visit a couple of years ago.
Having travelled DFW/Ireland for over 20 years, this was my fifth trip DFW/SNN via LHR since last summer and even tho DUB is just about as convenient and has more connection options and slightly shorter overall flight duration, I think I'm sold on the much less crowded and stressful experience at SNN. Less walking distances, crowds, airfield congestion and road traffic to/from the airport. All employees at all points at SNN have been more relaxed and friendly than my DUB trips. Recently the fares via LHR are better than all other options. The only thing given up travelling to the US via LHR is preclearance, but clearing immigration/customs at DFW is usually pretty fast, especially with Global Entry. Additionally the 2 late departures (21.30 and 22.00) out of DFW get you into LHR next day lunchtime which has meant no lines at passport control/security on the T2 transfer.

ELBOB

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:29 pm

OA260 wrote:
Patrick O’Donovan seeking meeting with IAA as Foynes Air Show is cancelled
MINISTER of State Patrick O’Donovan is seeking a meeting with the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) following the announcement that the authority had withdrawn as the main sponsor of the Foynes Air Show.

I hope the IAA tells him that they're not in the business of underwriting unviable airshows. Can't see why that should be a State responsibility anyhow. Every UK airshow has to find commercial sponsorship, or charge.

BrianDromey

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Oneworld connect seems the likely entry option for EI. As others have said, AA/AY/BA/IB would be given, in view of the JV. I think three members are needed as a minimum for Connect membership. I guess CX might sponsor, but they haven’t codeshared with EI already, maybe their primary interest was getting customers from Ireland via LHR/AMS, etc? QF would be great, a potential one stop from DUB via LAX/SFO - with pre-clearance it might be an attractive routing.

The FFP element is probably less important for Avios collectors - it’s already possible via BA or IB anyway. It would be nice to consolidate with fewer accounts and for status recognition across more airlines.

OA260

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 am

Ryanair posts Q3 loss, O'Leary to stay for 5 more years

Ryanair has reported a loss of €19.6m for the third quarter of 2018, citing weaker-than-expected air fares among its challenges, and down from profits of €105.6m the same time last year.

The airline said it flew 32.7 million customers in the quarter, an increase of 8%, and recorded revenue of €1.53 billion - up nearly 10%.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0204/1027 ... y-results/

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 am

ELBOB wrote:
I hope the IAA tells him that they're not in the business of underwriting unviable airshows. Can't see why that should be a State responsibility anyhow. Every UK airshow has to find commercial sponsorship, or charge.

Have you been to see it? I went the year before last and I enjoyed it. The Flying Boat Museum is worth a visit, had a great time there. Plus the air show, which was great. There were loads and loads of people there too.

I think it's a shame they're not sponsoring it this year, as it seems to be a popular event.

The UK is also a country 66 million people, so I daresay they have more chances of commercial sponsorship than the Republic with it's almost 4.8 million people.

BrianDromey wrote:
QF would be great, a potential one stop from DUB via LAX/SFO - with pre-clearance it might be an attractive routing.

Pre-clearance wouldn't matter if you were going to Australia :)

I've also done this before - QF SYD-LAX and EI LAX-DUB. I didn't enjoy it, to put it mildly. It's a couple of hours longer than going through Asia for a start.

BrianDromey wrote:
The FFP element is probably less important for Avios collectors - it’s already possible via BA or IB anyway. It would be nice to consolidate with fewer accounts and for status recognition across more airlines.

The FFP element is extremely important. While you can collect Avios in AerClub flying with British Airways, you don't earn any status - and vice versa, flying Aer Lingus and crediting to Executive Club. Joining oneworld Connect will mean you will earn points and status and be eligible for the bonus Avios etc, plus have your status recognised and lounge access on the airlines sponsoring EI and vice versa.

This is the most important thing for me. I'd fly EI a hell of a lot more if my BA status was recognised so I had lounge access and fast-track on all routes, and I earned Tier Points. At the moment, I'll fly via London on BA, adding extra time to my travel, as I get all the perks in the programme.

I daresay you might be right on consolidation though, I can see the IAG airlines moving that way - "one programme" (though they may be separately branded), one currency, one frequent flyer number. They are already very similar.

EI321

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:36 pm

More on the Aer Lingus A321neoLR launch.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ch-455508/

klm617

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:42 pm

EI321 wrote:
More on the Aer Lingus A321neoLR launch.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ch-455508/

Any rumors yet on who the front runners are for the next round of North American additions are for the A321 in 2020
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

BrianDromey

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:35 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Pre-clearance wouldn't matter if you were going to Australia :)

I've also done this before - QF SYD-LAX and EI LAX-DUB. I didn't enjoy it, to put it mildly. It's a couple of hours longer than going through Asia for a start.

BrianDromey wrote:

The FFP element is extremely important. While you can collect Avios in AerClub flying with British Airways, you don't earn any status - and vice versa, flying Aer Lingus and crediting to Executive Club. Joining oneworld Connect will mean you will earn points and status and be eligible for the bonus Avios etc, plus have your status recognised and lounge access on the airlines sponsoring EI and vice versa.

This is the most important thing for me. I'd fly EI a hell of a lot more if my BA status was recognised so I had lounge access and fast-track on all routes, and I earned Tier Points. At the moment, I'll fly via London on BA, adding extra time to my travel, as I get all the perks in the programme.

I daresay you might be right on consolidation though, I can see the IAG airlines moving that way - "one programme" (though they may be separately branded), one currency, one frequent flyer number. They are already very similar.

In terms of onward connections at the US end, pre-clearance would make a difference, as even transit passengers have to formally enter the US.

I agree that recognition of EI status at BA, in particular, would be useful and would probably drive some incremental business to EI. Fingers crossed it works out well.

Eirules

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Quick question. Does anyone know if the ex QR A330s that EI got have / will have the same business class seats as the original A330s?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

shamrock350

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Eirules wrote:
Quick question. Does anyone know if the ex QR A330s that EI got have / will have the same business class seats as the original A330s?

It's just the one A330, EI-GEY which was originally kept on the IAD route almost exclusively for the first few months of its operation at Aer Lingus. I think since the winter schedule it has had a more varied schedule, currently on finals to JFK for example.

The original plan was to have it fitted with the standard business class over the quieter winter months, between Jan-Mar but I don't think it's been in for any maintenance yet so it still has the old QR seats just in green covers for now.

OA260

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:33 pm

DAA plan to axe taxiways set to cut runway cost

Airport body says changes due to new EU standards

DAA is seeking key changes to its plans for a new runway at Dublin Airport that could see the cost of the project fall. The airport authority plans to axe nine taxiways from the original plan and remaining taxiways will be cut from a minimum width of 30m to a new minimum of 27m.

It is also planning to change the structural composition of the 7.5m-wide outer shoulders of the 3,110m-long runway, from paved construction to "reinforced grass".

www.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-p ... 76846.html

planemanofnz

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:09 am

In the case of a hard border with Brexit, could BFS and BHD see a boost in traffic as Northerners who used to go South to get cheaper fares and/or a wider variety of destinations, seek out less complication by staying/using local? Would any boost in this respect be offset by the economic downturn arising from increased trade barriers?

Cheers,

C.

richcandy

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:04 am

planemanofnz wrote:
In the case of a hard border with Brexit, could BFS and BHD see a boost in traffic as Northerners who used to go South to get cheaper fares and/or a wider variety of destinations, seek out less complication by staying/using local? Would any boost in this respect be offset by the economic downturn arising from increased trade barriers?

Cheers,

C.

I think people will still travel to DUB to fly to cities that don’t have direct links from BFS/BHD, even if there is a hard boarder. If there is a hard boarder we have no idea what form it will take. The media would have us believe that it will involve two hour queues and will be like entering the United States. What if it’s a simple passport check and takes just a few minutes. Today If you travel from France to the UK by car using Eurotunnel you first have your passport checked by French immigration (they don’t always bother) then you have your passport checked by UK boarder staff. This can take up to 45-60 mins if you travel on a weekend. People have been putting up with this for years. The difference will be customs and what form that takes. If you travel into the UK from the United States the amount of goods the public can bring is is very low in value. However it’s not often that passengers are stopped and questions.

Even in the bad old days of the 1970’s and 80’s even some of the most hardened loyalists would travel to DUB to fly to cities not served from BFS.

Other thing to think about is that if there is a hard boarded and the pound falls (even further) against the euro then the UK will be very cheap. So there might be lots of inbound shoppers to the north.

Alex

ELBOB

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:46 am

My granda talked about the 1940s and 50s when there were *proper* border checks, everyone had to get off the train and declare the goods they were carrying. He remembered someone being fined for bringing bacon across!

By the 1980s we only had cursory ID checks when entering the South from NI, a Defence Force trooper would walk up the aisle of the bus glancing at our passports. Ironically, heading North was less disruptive and usually just involved a quick halt whilst a soldier peered in. I think that was really just for appearance, since they knew who they wanted and they weren't entering by the main roads.

But like most of the anti-Brexit rhetoric, those most opposed to any form of border seem to be Millenials who never experienced it. Life went on, and shopping trips still went ahead in both directions. We'll work through it. Just like we used to go backpacking around Europe before 'freedom of movement' was invented.

OA260

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:09 am

ELBOB wrote:
My granda talked about the 1940s and 50s when there were *proper* border checks, everyone had to get off the train and declare the goods they were carrying. He remembered someone being fined for bringing bacon across!

By the 1980s we only had cursory ID checks when entering the South from NI, a Defence Force trooper would walk up the aisle of the bus glancing at our passports. Ironically, heading North was less disruptive and usually just involved a quick halt whilst a soldier peered in. I think that was really just for appearance, since they knew who they wanted and they weren't entering by the main roads.

But like most of the anti-Brexit rhetoric, those most opposed to any form of border seem to be Millenials who never experienced it. Life went on, and shopping trips still went ahead in both directions. We'll work through it. Just like we used to go backpacking around Europe before 'freedom of movement' was invented.

Actually the foot and mouth crisis reintroduced checks in recent times. All cars were stopped and tyres sprayed and spot checks on what food was being brought in as meat and dairy was banned.

Whatever happens people will not stop travelling to DUB to fly out. Likewise Irish Rail / Translink have made arrangements for immigration officials to board trains at Newry and Dundalk to carry out any checks that might be needed. Hopefully it wont come to that though.

leghorn

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:41 am

ELBOB wrote:

Life went on except for over 3000 people killed by the troubles and the families of those victims who died as a consequence of the unnatural border on the Island of Ireland.
The most infuriating thing about those in favour of BREXIT is how flippantly they speak of an issue which caused untold misery for the people of the island of Ireland.
...and it won't be disaffected Millennials who will be priming bombs if there is an escalated security presence on the border. These most opposed to the border don't do the Rhetoric.

EI321

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm

What is the work being done in front of the 200 gates / terminal 1 at DUB? Red and white barriers have been erected there recently. I'm assuming it's work on the taxiways.

alancostello

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:27 pm

ELBOB wrote:

Millennials did experience the border, they are born from the early 80s to the mid-90s. Did you also walk across the border backwards up a hill in the driving snow with no shoes? Go back to Twitter with your anti-young people trolling. If millennials do care, it's likely because they're some of the ones that are going to have to live with it the longest. The people I have seen getting the most hysterical about Brexit are middle-aged white men, on both sides.

Eirules

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:41 pm

I note on another thread that BA will move from T7 to American Airlines’ T8 in JFK alongside QF & AY. At the same time, JetBlue will expand T5. I’d imagine we will see EI follow suit
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Eirules wrote:
I note on another thread that BA will move from T7 to American Airlines’ T8 in JFK alongside QF & AY. At the same time, JetBlue will expand T5. I’d imagine we will see EI follow suit

It will be nice when all the terminals are linked as planned. When I was last at JFK, I had to leave the terminal, get a bus, etc etc... there was no way to do it airside, which I found frustrating.

VFRonTop

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
It will be nice when all the terminals are linked as planned. When I was last at JFK, I had to leave the terminal, get a bus, etc etc... there was no way to do it airside, which I found frustrating.

There is no way to connect airside at any US airport due to their immigration, customs and security requirements. The best you'll be able to do is not have to exit the building when connecting.

LH982

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:24 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

There is no way to connect airside at any US airport due to their immigration, customs and security requirements. The best you'll be able to do is not have to exit the building when connecting.

DFW, IAH, CLT, EWR, PHL, and no doubt there are many many more

VFRonTop

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:43 am

LH982 wrote:
DFW, IAH, CLT, EWR, PHL, and no doubt there are many many more

Not on an international to domestic flight. The US does not provide sterile connections for international passengers, meaning:
1. all international passengers have to clear immigration at their first point of entry in the US.
2. all bags need to be collected even if you’re connecting
3. passengers then clear customs (re-checking bags if necessary)
4. all passengers are re-screened at security before they find them selves back airside

OA260

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:53 am

Five people hospitalised after flight makes emergency landing in Shannon

A holiday jet has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this evening after the crew reported smoke in the cockpit over the Atlantic.

Five people were taken to University Hospital Limerick for treatment.

It is understood they include four cabin crew members and a passenger who were reported to be suffering from smoke inhalation.

Condor flight DE-2116 was travelling from Frankfurt, Germany to Cancun in Mexico with 337 passengers and crew on board.

www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/irel ... 02726.html

BrianDromey

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 am

VFRonTop wrote:

Unless you are coming from a pre-clearance destination in Canada, Ireland, Abu Dhabi, Mexico, etc. You literally walk into the domestic boarding areas.

VFRonTop

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 am

BrianDromey wrote:
Unless you are coming from a pre-clearance destination in Canada, Ireland, Abu Dhabi, Mexico, etc. You literally walk into the domestic boarding areas.

Correct, they are treated as domestic to domestic connections as they have already been though US immigration,customs and security.

EI321

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:19 pm

EI321 wrote:
What is the work being done in front of the 200 gates / terminal 1 at DUB? Red and white barriers have been erected there recently. I'm assuming it's work on the taxiways.

Can be seen in the background of this photo. Anyone know what it is?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... [email protected]/

conflats

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:23 pm

EI321 wrote:
EI321 wrote:

Can be seen in the background of this photo. Anyone know what it is?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... [email protected]/
Ramp maintenance

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

LH982

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:34 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

Correct, they are treated as domestic to domestic connections as they have already been though US immigration,customs and security.

Or if you are going US domestic to international.

SNN99

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Shannon had the worst punctuality record of Ireland's main airports last year
https://fora.ie/shannon-airport-flig...75854-Feb2019/

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 pm

SNN99 wrote:
Shannon had the worst punctuality record of Ireland's main airports last year
https://fora.ie/shannon-airport-flig...75854-Feb2019/

Your link doesn't work... this one should. https://fora.ie/shannon-airport-flight-delays-2018-4475854-Feb2019/

I like how Cork was the most punctual, followed by Dublin, then Shannon. Both Dublin and Shannon basically say it's due mainly to factors outside their control :)

OA260

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Boy (12) who allegedly suffered scald burn after spilling hot chocolate during Aer Lingus flight awarded €70k

A boy who allegedly suffered a scald burn to his leg when a hot chocolate drink he ordered on an Aer Lingus flight spilled on him has settled his High Court action for €70,000.

Jason Yonkeu was 12 at the time of the accident on the Nice-Dublin flight nearly two years ago.

The settlement was without an admission of liability.

Jason, of Wellview Park, Blanchardstown, Dublin, through his father Leopold Yonkeu, sued Aer Lingus over the accident on August 8, 2016.

www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/bo ... 93772.html

shamrock350

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:39 pm

OA260 wrote:
Boy (12) who allegedly suffered scald burn after spilling hot chocolate during Aer Lingus flight awarded €70k

It's unfortunate the boy was hurt but €70k for spilling a drink on yourself?! Ridiculous.

ShamrockBoi330

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 pm

@AirlineRoute reporting on twitter 5th weekly Seattle flight for EI from June

eirflot

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:26 pm

Never mind that he was awarded €70k I am surprised that they took the action. I have no idea how EI could be seen as responsible unless the hot chccolate was poured over his head!!!!
A sign of the times in Ireland, money is more important than anything else. The public service gas become the money grabbing service, the civil service is far from civil. Politeness and good manners have all but disappeared and that includes in EI. They spout guest but mean sucker. No one says please and thank you, and excuse me is an historic and antiquated notion

alancostello

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

It's unfortunate the boy was hurt but €70k for spilling a drink on yourself?! Ridiculous.

Generally settlements like this indicate that the drink was served too hot to be safe, it happened famously in the US with a woman and McDonalds coffee, she ended up having to get extensive skin grafting done after the coffee poured in to her lap.

If a child was left with permanent scarring from a second degree burn because a drink was served at a scalding temperature, that's Aer Lingus's fault, same as if a shop failed to clean up a spill in a reasonable time and someone falls in it and breaks an arm or leg. This is what liability insurance is for, I doubt a penny of this is actually coming from EI.

OA260

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am

Two rare 747 jumbo jets spotted at Dublin Airport

As rare as hen's teeth!

Eagle-eyed aviation buffs were astonished to see two rare 747 jumbo jets parked at Dublin Airport at the same time on Tuesday.

For the first time in almost three years, two of the jets were parked at the travel hub.

A British Airways jet is rumoured to have landed in Dublin for a new paint job as part of the airline's centenary celebrations, Dublin Live reports.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dubl ... s-13966008

---

Brian Gallagher: Cork Airport enters its fourth year of sustained growth

Cork Airport, Ireland’s second-largest international airport, is entering its fourth year of consecutive growth, forecasting a 7% growth increase in passenger numbers for 2019 with approximately 2.6 million passengers expected to pass through its doors.

Over 50 routes are on offer from Cork Airport across the UK, continental Europe and the east coast of the USA.

www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/busi ... 02682.html

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:32 am

shamrock350 wrote:

That's what I first thought myself, and I had to read the part about what happened twice as I couldn't believe my eyes.

That being said though, if it was hot enough to cause that much of a burn after milk had been added, it must have been as hot as it could be. Even so, I wouldn't think to sue to the airline, I'd chalk it down to my own stupidity for spilling it.

Great article in the Irish Times today where they interview Willie Walsh -

Walsh swears by consolidation as the key to avoiding turbulence

Some interesting bits about the Aer Lingus sale to IAG, thoughts on the Irish tourism industry, Brexit, Norwegian. It's a good read!

eicvd

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:32 am

OA260 wrote:
Two rare 747 jumbo jets spotted at Dublin Airport

As rare as hen's teeth!

Eagle-eyed aviation buffs were astonished to see two rare 747 jumbo jets parked at Dublin Airport at the same time on Tuesday.

For the first time in almost three years, two of the jets were parked at the travel hub.

A British Airways jet is rumoured to have landed in Dublin for a new paint job as part of the airline's centenary celebrations, Dublin Live reports.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-ne ... s-13966008

---

Brian Gallagher: Cork Airport enters its fourth year of sustained growth

Cork Airport, Ireland’s second-largest international airport, is entering its fourth year of consecutive growth, forecasting a 7% growth increase in passenger numbers for 2019 with approximately 2.6 million passengers expected to pass through its doors.

Over 50 routes are on offer from Cork Airport across the UK, continental Europe and the east coast of the USA.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 02682.html

Personally speaking I was underwhelmed by those 2 BA ‘Queen of the Skies’. That recent photo shared on Facebook by ‘Old Dublin Transport’ with 2 QF 747s in the background was more interesting. SR/FLS sure had some nice jumbo visitors, can remember seeing South African & I’m not 100% sure but I think I recall ANZ popping in as well.
COYBIB

OA260

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:15 am

Aer Lingus exposed over 100 job applicants' details in an email blunder

Candidates’ email addresses were accidentally shared with other jobseekers.

AER LINGUS REVEALED the email addresses of more than 100 people who applied for a communications job, potentially exposing their identities to other candidates through the blunder.

The IAG-owned airline apologised to the group four days after the job-hunters had their information shared in a 3 January group email.

In the correspondence, seen by Fora, Aer Lingus explained that candidates’ email addresses had been “inadvertently included” in a mass communication because their details were pasted in the ‘cc’ instead of the ‘bcc’ field.

www.thejournal.ie/aer-lingus-email-brea ... 3-Feb2019/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos