Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Allegiant Airlines at LAX

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Allegiant has been serving LAX for a number of years but I am curious as to why and how they ended up serving LAX rather than a secondary airport like LGB or ONT. In other large markets like Charlotte, Phoenix, Orlando...etc G4 serves secondary airports. Did LAX give G4 a good deal to start service at their aiport or was LAX just too big an opportunity to pass up? Or a combination of both?

LAXintl

Re: Allegiant Airlines at LAX

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm

G4 has served LAX for many years, but it also has served other airports such as LGB, pulling out in late 2011. They also currently serve SMX (Santa Maria), though not exactly Los Angeles.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DesertAir

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm

I was hoping that Allegiant would begin SCK service, Stockton, CA with a least a daily roundtrip. They have been very successful in Stockton with LAS, SAN and PPX-mesa service. UA has announced 2 daily roundtrips to begin later this year.

nws2002

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:06 pm

They tried various options like LGB and LAX had the best success. I've read before that ONT is expensive to operate out of.

william

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:08 pm

nws2002 wrote:
They tried various options like LGB and LAX had the best success. I've read before that ONT is expensive to operate out of.

Why expensive? Because they built a terminal no one asked for?

nws2002

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:34 pm

william wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

Higher landing fees and lease costs. I'm not sure why. I believe they are run by the same organization that runs LAX, so maybe their goal is to drive everyone to LAX.

aviationjunky

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:46 pm

When I worked for them a couple years back, we had a company document that us supervisors were able to access that showed us current, old, and possible new destinations. Every so often we would get an email with an update to the destination schedules.. More than once, they did have Los Angeles (LAX) (poss. LGB). I don't think they were ever really serious about moving, but I know the email came across more than once.

Each time a contract ends with any airport, G4 looks at profitability, maneuverability, and alternatives. For example, they knew the contract for COS as ending, so they opted to open DEN. This allowed them to relatively serve the same market, as Colorado Springs is only an hour outside of Denver, and it also allowed for them to cash in on the rapid tourist growth in Denver. They knew a couple years before it was announced that COS was going to close. That's how they are with all of their stations. The same for when they pulled out of CAK and moved operations to CLE. They are learning that there are perks that come with serving larger airports; it might cost more, but the payout is much greater.
LAS is Life

WN732

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:46 pm

nws2002 wrote:
william wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

Higher landing fees and lease costs. I'm not sure why. I believe they are run by the same organization that runs LAX, so maybe their goal is to drive everyone to LAX.

They used to be part of LAWA, who owns LAX. The city of Ontario,plus several government and private entities gathered together to buy the airport back from LAWA. Things have been turning around for ONT. G4 would be a perfect fit there. F9 has found some success in offering flights that do not compete head on with WN.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 pm

IIRC, when LAX opened they had been kicking the tires on SBD. Obviously that didn't go anywhere.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

gunsontheroof

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Look at their destinations from LAX. With some exceptions (i.e. CVG, BOI, MEM), it's a laundry list of smaller markets that can support a non-stop to a huge market like LAX, but would almost certainly never get a look from traditional carriers.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

janders

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Problem with LA is that a secondary airport like ONT won't ever stand-in for LAX based on its geography.

Its one thing to serve ONT as another airport in the basin, but to make it your sole airport for LA would lock you out of the bulk of passengers and be too far away from where people want to visit. For example 9 of the 10 most visited locations in greater LA are far closer to LAX than ONT, and the 10th Disneyland is virtually equidistant.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

nws2002

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:05 pm

janders wrote:
Problem with LA is that a secondary airport like ONT won't ever stand-in for LAX based on its geography.

Its one thing to serve ONT as another airport in the basin, but to make it your sole airport for LA would lock you out of the bulk of passengers and be too far away from where people want to visit. For example 9 of the 10 most visited locations in greater LA are far closer to LAX than ONT, and the 10th Disneyland is virtually equidistant.

SFB seems to work over MCO though, and all the theme parks are closer to MCO.

UPlog

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 pm

LGB did not work for G4 due to its random scheduling which did not fit nicely with the airport's slot program. Inability to operate consistent seasonal schedules risked G4 losing its slot holdings.

nws2002 wrote:
SFB seems to work over MCO though, and all the theme parks are closer to MCO.

Heck a lot easier to drive around Orlando than Los Angeles.

ONT is like another world away. Majority of tourist attractions in LA are in the western half of the basin, not the eastern side where ONT is located.
I fly your boxes

CIDFlyer

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:19 pm

SFB also essentially serves DAY and the space coast as well so that is also something to consider. They did try MCO once only to move everything back to SFB. SFB isnt that bad a drive to the parks. LAX is pretty much close to all the major attractions of LA aside from Disneyland (the beaches, Hollywood, universal, TV/Movie studios etc).

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Long Beach was maybe a new carrier subsidy and run routine? Allegiant definitely starts airports with every plan on leaving when funds dry up. They were up against JetBlue who over served LAS at the time. Never had a chance. On too bad times

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos