• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:16 pm

jaybird wrote:

Airfares in general aren't low - early Jan to mid-Feb is off peak, mid-Feb to early May is peak (1st week of May is Golden Week in Japan which sees an influx of tourists) .. 2nd-week of May to mid-June is off-peak .. mid-June to the end of August is peak .. right after Labor Day to Thanksgiving is off peak .. early December is off peak .. Thanksgiving and Christmas are peak. If you plan ahead and are flexible with your travel periods - you can get some good airfares .. but if you go during peak period or at the last minute - you're going to pay a lot.


Then how come my wife and I bought $1500 F tickets barely a month in advance for early March, which you say is peak? I don't care what planet other people live on but 8 hours in F for $1500 is damn cheap.
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:18 pm

n562wn wrote:
Not directed at anyone in particular but I find the naysayer's arguments somewhat entertaining. One end of the spectrum suggests that there is ungodly amount of over capacity in the market and everyone is already flying empty planes to the islands as will WN.

On the other hand, some naysayers are suggesting how awful it will be to fly on WN, because you'll never get to fly with your families even if you purchase the early bird boarding.

So which is it? I'm assuming it'll most likely be somewhere in the middle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Very well said. WN has quite a loyal following and Hawaii is certifiably exotic compared to most of the other places WN flies. The Hawaii flights will be a dream come true for companion pass holders. Of course there's the hotel issue but that has nothing to do with WN.
 
jagraham
Posts: 874
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:29 pm

P
barney captain wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:
So is the plan to open a crew/737 base in Hawaii?

HNL-Fiji?


OAK and LAX will be the only ETOPS crew bases. The "plan" is to feed Californian's to Hawaii.


Will crews do layovers? Or turn right around after one hop?
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 3072
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:07 am

And with WN allowing FF miles to be used on any seat Hawaiian flights may mostly benefit WN by selling lower 48 flights. Passengers using those miles to go to Hawaii 'free'.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
wnflyguy
Topic Author
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:25 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Look for N8329B to be the first WN aircraft to touch Hawaiian soil. :)


Sort of...



;)


Great photo!
Also Aloha's first contact with a 700NG one Boeing test aircraft eventually ended up being out fitted into WN specs and Into there fleet.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
jayunited
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:53 am

jagraham wrote:
P
barney captain wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:
So is the plan to open a crew/737 base in Hawaii?

HNL-Fiji?


OAK and LAX will be the only ETOPS crew bases. The "plan" is to feed Californian's to Hawaii.


Will crews do layovers? Or turn right around after one hop?


For UA depending on the time of day the flight departs from the mainland West Coast the FA's work the turn but the pilots get a layover.
If WN wants to operational cost low the FA's at the very least will probably work the turn while the pilots will get a layover. For the pilots to work the turn I think there would need to be a relief pilot assigned to the flight because the entire duty day would be too long for just 2 pilots.
 
cschleic
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:58 am

bob75013 wrote:
MrBretz wrote:
The one problem I see with WNs model is the lack of assigned seating. . I heard a couple who lives there discussing this recently. The man was talking about potentially cheap fares to the mainland. The woman said there was no way she was flying on a cattle car not possibly being able to sit next to her husband. .



Yup that's been going on for almost 50 years, and during that time WN grew to be the biggest in North America.

Move along son. There's nothing to see here.


WN already has some flights that are nearly as long or longer than some routes to Hawaii. The only real difference is over land vs. over water and, granted, Hawaii is more leisure travel.
 
wnflyguy
Topic Author
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:03 am

jayunited wrote:
jagraham wrote:
P
barney captain wrote:

OAK and LAX will be the only ETOPS crew bases. The "plan" is to feed Californian's to Hawaii.


Will crews do layovers? Or turn right around after one hop?


For UA depending on the time of day the flight departs from the mainland West Coast the FA's work the turn but the pilots get a layover.
If WN wants to operational cost low the FA's at the very least will probably work the turn while the pilots will get a layover. For the pilots to work the turn I think there would need to be a relief pilot assigned to the flight because the entire duty day would be too long for just 2 pilots.


WN current FA contract will make it impossible for Hawaii Turns which maybe 2% would want any way.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
DeAnDe90
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:05 am

jayunited wrote:
jagraham wrote:
P
barney captain wrote:

OAK and LAX will be the only ETOPS crew bases. The "plan" is to feed Californian's to Hawaii.


Will crews do layovers? Or turn right around after one hop?


For UA depending on the time of day the flight departs from the mainland West Coast the FA's work the turn but the pilots get a layover.
If WN wants to operational cost low the FA's at the very least will probably work the turn while the pilots will get a layover. For the pilots to work the turn I think there would need to be a relief pilot assigned to the flight because the entire duty day would be too long for just 2 pilots.


WN FA per their flight attendant contract are only scheduled to fly 10hr 30mins duty for the day. Irregular operations that a different story. The FA will be doing layover with the pilots. WN FA don't even do transcon turns due to the duty days.
 
travaz
Posts: 853
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:14 am

I would think they would need some layover crews to work the inter island flights if indeed that happens.
 
tphuang
Posts: 3108
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:17 am

grbauc wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I really hope this happens soon, at least before another possible gov't shutdown. Would be interesting to see how much they stimulate the market.



what fares aren't cheap enough I pay the same price i use to 15yr ago LAX/SNA/ONT to Hawaii...


That only means HI fares have been too expensive for too long.

Just checking the yield of AS on SAN-BWI vs SAN-OGG/HNL, it's night and day. There is still room for secondary Cali to secondary HI market to fall. People keep focusing on LAX/SFO to HI. Yes, the fares on those are a lot lower, but fares on SJC/OAK/SMF/SAN have some room to fall still.
 
DualQual
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:10 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:29 am

jayunited wrote:
jagraham wrote:
P
barney captain wrote:

OAK and LAX will be the only ETOPS crew bases. The "plan" is to feed Californian's to Hawaii.


Will crews do layovers? Or turn right around after one hop?


For UA depending on the time of day the flight departs from the mainland West Coast the FA's work the turn but the pilots get a layover.
If WN wants to operational cost low the FA's at the very least will probably work the turn while the pilots will get a layover. For the pilots to work the turn I think there would need to be a relief pilot assigned to the flight because the entire duty day would be too long for just 2 pilots.


There also needs to be an FAR 117 compliant rest seat for the pilots.
There's no known cure for stupid
 
User avatar
TVNWZ
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:41 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
And with WN allowing FF miles to be used on any seat Hawaiian flights may mostly benefit WN by selling lower 48 flights. Passengers using those miles to go to Hawaii 'free'.


This. Hawaii is the most requested route their FFs would like to see added on every survey they do.
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1602
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:45 am

kiowa wrote:
barney captain wrote:
kiowa wrote:
I am told they failed their table top certification last month. Does anyone know why?


You were told incorrectly because the government was shut down last month. There were no table top exercises until this past week.


One of us is wrong. My source is good.


Your source is obviously not good if they were not able to tell you the exact reasoning for failing.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
SXDFC
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 am

N709SW was the last SWA aircraft to land on the Island of Hawaii. AFAIK this was back in 1999/2000 and for Aloha to kick the tires on the -700.
 
grbauc
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 am

tphuang wrote:
grbauc wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I really hope this happens soon, at least before another possible gov't shutdown. Would be interesting to see how much they stimulate the market.



what fares aren't cheap enough I pay the same price i use to 15yr ago LAX/SNA/ONT to Hawaii...


That only means HI fares have been too expensive for too long.

Just checking the yield of AS on SAN-BWI vs SAN-OGG/HNL, it's night and day. There is still room for secondary Cali to secondary HI market to fall. People keep focusing on LAX/SFO to HI. Yes, the fares on those are a lot lower, but fares on SJC/OAK/SMF/SAN have some room to fall still.



Good point. I like to show others for looking at things through a straw and I'm doing that here.
 
barney captain
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:03 am

SXDFC wrote:
N709SW was the last SWA aircraft to land on the Island of Hawaii. AFAIK this was back in 1999/2000 and for Aloha to kick the tires on the -700.


Was this prior to delivery to WN? It almost had to be.

If Boeing ferried it to HI for Aloha to kick the tires - it wasn't a WN aircraft - yet.
Southeast Of Disorder
 
SXDFC
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:30 am

barney captain wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
N709SW was the last SWA aircraft to land on the Island of Hawaii. AFAIK this was back in 1999/2000 and for Aloha to kick the tires on the -700.


Was this prior to delivery to WN? It almost had to be.

If Boeing ferried it to HI for Aloha to kick the tires - it wasn't a WN aircraft - yet.


It was in full SWA (Desert Gold) livery, and was flown by Boeing pilots..

Barney shoot me a PM I have a question for you.
 
wnflyguy
Topic Author
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Southwest first Hawaii test flight.
#8725 OAK-HNL
On February 5 2019
departure 11:00
Arrival 14:45
Hawaii shutter bugs get your cameras ready.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:31 pm

usxguy wrote:
WNCrew wrote:
usxguy wrote:
and car rentals. Overbooking & having to wait an hour + is the norm, even for those with top tier status.

https://www.kitv.com/story/39822423/hun ... y-runs-out



WOW... why does anyone bother flying there then if it's so awful?


Suggesting market plateaus.

when American Airlines has 5 flights linking LA and Maui over christmas, but only flew enough passengers over multiple days to fill only ONE plane (both ways, mind you), then the market may have hit its plateau... a coworker flew OGG-ORD and there were 10 passengers in first and 25 in back on a *777*. Even my Air Canada flight to YVR (on Max!) had 70 open seats, and this was just before NYE.

So yes, WN is going to do *GANGBUSTERS* in Hawai'i. Yes, they will have absolutely FULL FULL FULL planes. /sarcasm.

The only thing Southwest will do is make it easier to non-rev to Honolulu. The market from the US has hit its peak, and the economy is slowing down.


I'll go out on a limb and guess that you view your half-full glass as ACTUALLY half-empty
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2062
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:38 pm

WNCrew wrote:
usxguy wrote:
and car rentals. Overbooking & having to wait an hour + is the norm, even for those with top tier status.

https://www.kitv.com/story/39822423/hun ... y-runs-out



WOW... why does anyone bother flying there then if it's so awful?



https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/02/ ... c242d46e46
Over-tourism is getting worse, certainly on Oahu. Yet, annual totals continue to grow.
 
tphuang
Posts: 3108
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Q3 fare data is out. Just to hit back at the idea that somehow HI fares are low
Here are some of the numbers out of SAN to HI islands and transcon markets. The HI flights are a little longer and have the additional costs associated with ETOPS, but the yield differences are pretty large. And WN entrance can cause these numbers out of SAN to drop a bit.

CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare % NS SeatPerFlight LF Yield PRASM
SANHNL 2614 AS 26590 299.02 297.68 336.07 96.53% 159.1 89.85% 267.47 0.1023
SANHNL 2614 HA 47351 322.05 323.99 309.37 86.71% 277.6 91.70% 297.10 0.1137
SANOGG 2541 AS 25735 316.85 315.77 358.25 97.45% 159.0 88.93% 280.81 0.1105
SANOGG 2541 HA 30478 321.61 320.60 351.65 96.75% 214.3 80.36% 257.63 0.1014
SANKOA 2556 AS 18090 276.44 275.93 298.09 97.68% 161.0 79.12% 218.32 0.0854
SANLIH 2676 AS 19257 325.48 325.51 324.85 95.84% 159.1 79.62% 259.16 0.0968
SANEWR 2425 AS 26021 219.09 217.97 272.38 97.94% 169.6 84.28% 183.69 0.0758
SANEWR 2425 WN 24960 233.20 233.68 225.40 94.22% 163.4 84.84% 198.25 0.0818
SANBWI 2295 AS 23404 187.36 185.36 367.90 98.90% 160.8 81.31% 150.71 0.0657
SANBWI 2295 WN 79028 257.42 257.61 255.20 91.90% 168.8 88.66% 228.40 0.0995
SANMCO 2149 AS 17267 212.28 211.90 339.78 99.70% 167.5 79.89% 169.29 0.0788
SANMCO 2149 WN 25307 210.36 207.61 246.34 92.89% 169.3 81.26% 168.70 0.0785
LAXHNL 2556 AS 23933 290.00 288.45 330.85 96.35% 156.0 83.84% 241.84 0.0946
SFOHNL 2398 AS 24568 285.36 282.04 362.01 95.85% 156.1 85.06% 239.9 0.1
 
STLflyer
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:57 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Southwest first Hawaii test flight.
#8725 OAK-HNL
On February 5 2019
departure 11:00
Arrival 14:45
Hawaii shutter bugs get your cameras ready.

Flyguy

She's been sitting on the ground for awhile in OAK, I wonder what the hold up is.
 
n562wn
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:00 pm

STLflyer wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Southwest first Hawaii test flight.
#8725 OAK-HNL
On February 5 2019
departure 11:00
Arrival 14:45
Hawaii shutter bugs get your cameras ready.

Flyguy

She's been sitting on the ground for awhile in OAK, I wonder what the hold up is.


Today is the 4th.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
STLflyer
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm

n562wn wrote:
STLflyer wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Southwest first Hawaii test flight.
#8725 OAK-HNL
On February 5 2019
departure 11:00
Arrival 14:45
Hawaii shutter bugs get your cameras ready.

Flyguy

She's been sitting on the ground for awhile in OAK, I wonder what the hold up is.


Today is the 4th.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Well that's a pretty reasonable explanation
 
n562wn
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 pm

STLflyer wrote:
n562wn wrote:
STLflyer wrote:
She's been sitting on the ground for awhile in OAK, I wonder what the hold up is.


Today is the 4th.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Well that's a pretty reasonable explanation


Haha. No worries. For some reason I woke up this morning with the mindset that they were heading out today as well, until I looked a little closer.

Thanks for compiling that data. Interesting stuff!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
User avatar
KanaHawaii
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Southwest Proving Run to HI announced

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Aloha: News coming across the wires here today are saying that Southwest will be doing a ETOPS certification run to Hawaii on Feb. 5. Details seem basic from this article, which has been picked up by both local and other national news sources. Wonder if this is going to be a "real run" in which they land in Hawaii (Maybe Honolulu. maybe not) and then turn around operations occur in which the plane is then flown back to the continent as if it was a regular pax flight.

Read the regulations too on this type of flight, and it seems pretty clear - the FAA has to be assured that Southwest knows what it's doing on this type of flight. Here is the article:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ht-455514/
 
SWADawg
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest Proving Run to HI announced

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:21 pm

Yes. This will be a “real run” and will land in HNL. The following day it will fly HNL-DAL. Both flights will be observed by the FAA.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Southwest Proving Run to HI announced

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Another thread suggested a 7am departure out of OAK flying to HNL & landing, two hours ground time & back to OAK. The next day it was suggested OAK-HNL-OGG-OAK. They will also have two flights that will have to operate as diversions during the flight to & from both HNL & OGG. The first wave of WN flights is supposedly 4 dailies to HNL & 4 dailies to OGG from their 4 initial gateways of OAK, SJC, SMF & SAN. It is my understanding that inter island services are being introduced once they get these 8 frames going to & from the islands.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
User avatar
KanaHawaii
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: Southwest Proving Run to HI announced

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:26 pm

SWADawg wrote:
Yes. This will be a “real run” and will land in HNL. The following day it will fly HNL-DAL. Both flights will be observed by the FAA.


I am assuming of course that the plane will land at one of the west coast gateways between DAL and HNL. Or is it a non-stop. Considering it will be an empty plan ....
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2062
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:33 pm

Why the lower PRASM SAN/KOA???
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3352
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:49 pm

FlightGlobal has an article about tomorrow's flight:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ht-455514/

It's a "long-range navigation and communication validation flight". Following this flight, more tabletop exercises on full ETOPS procedures followed by more validation flights.

Tickets could go on sale by the end of the first quarter.
 
MrBretz
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 am

WPvsMW wrote:
Why the lower PRASM SAN/KOA???


Just taking a swag but I would image while the volcano was erupting, many people stayed away. I guess they are just starting to come back now. But it's a guess on my part.
 
alggag
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:54 pm

As luck would have it I happened to hop over from LIH to HNL today to see Pearl Harbor while visiting Hawaii. I hope to catch a glimpse of WN when they get here.
 
rj777
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:47 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:26 pm

I looked up Southwest 8725 on FlightAware and didn't see it up there for the flight to Hawaii.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:30 pm

With Hawaii service being the main benefit of this ETOPS program, I have to wonder if Southwest is also looking to provide more flights to Caribbean destinations. It seems like at the very least NYC and Boston open up for SJU. Possibly MEX as well ? Have their been discussions about this?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
STLflyer
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
With Hawaii service being the main benefit of this ETOPS program, I have to wonder if Southwest is also looking to provide more flights to Caribbean destinations. It seems like at the very least NYC and Boston open up for SJU. Possibly MEX as well ? Have their been discussions about this?

Southwest is pulling out of MEX and I don't believe ETOPS is necessary for SJU as thru can follow the east coast
 
INFINITI329
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 pm

rj777 wrote:
I looked up Southwest 8725 on FlightAware and didn't see it up there for the flight to Hawaii.


https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA8725
 
User avatar
RetiredNWA
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 pm

WN8725 just departed Oakland.
 
hnl808
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:17 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:21 pm

WN 8725 ETA into HNL 1432L

First ever WN aircraft in Hawaii!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: WN and Hawaii.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:24 pm

STLflyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
With Hawaii service being the main benefit of this ETOPS program, I have to wonder if Southwest is also looking to provide more flights to Caribbean destinations. It seems like at the very least NYC and Boston open up for SJU. Possibly MEX as well ? Have their been discussions about this?

Southwest is pulling out of MEX and I don't believe ETOPS is necessary for SJU as thru can follow the east coast



They fly SJU from BWI, but do it with the Class 2 exclusion. I would think that NYC and BOS can fly a more direct route with full ETOPS, but also destinations further east as well. WN is about time and money and full ETOPS would make the routes shorter.
MEX is ending for now, and I think Hawaii is the main reason. But future wise I would expect MEX to return.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Southwest Proving Run to HI announced

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 pm

KanaHawaii wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
Yes. This will be a “real run” and will land in HNL. The following day it will fly HNL-DAL. Both flights will be observed by the FAA.


I am assuming of course that the plane will land at one of the west coast gateways between DAL and HNL. Or is it a non-stop. Considering it will be an empty plan ....


Per FlightRadar24, there's no listed return flight for N8329B from HNL to DAL posted yet, but I'd think they'd have to make a tech stop once they reach the mainland.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
barney captain
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: Southwest Proving Run to HI announced

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:40 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
KanaHawaii wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
Yes. This will be a “real run” and will land in HNL. The following day it will fly HNL-DAL. Both flights will be observed by the FAA.


I am assuming of course that the plane will land at one of the west coast gateways between DAL and HNL. Or is it a non-stop. Considering it will be an empty plan ....


Per FlightRadar24, there's no listed return flight for N8329B from HNL to DAL posted yet, but I'd think they'd have to make a tech stop once they reach the mainland.


It will be N/S to DAL as the same flight number as today - blocked at 7:30. Not an issue with only 20 pax.
Southeast Of Disorder
 
User avatar
keoki
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 11:58 am

WN 8725 KOAK - PHNL She's on her way!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 pm

 
User avatar
Frontier14
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am

Re: WN 8725 KOAK - PHNL She's on her way!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 pm

A momentous day for WN............ :bouncy:

Frontier 14
 
STLflyer
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

Re: WN 8725 KOAK - PHNL She's on her way!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Any insight into what's going on in the cabin right now? I'm sure some FAA inspectors are on there, are they just relaxing and enjoying the ride, or what sort of work would they be doing right now? Other than FAA, who might be on it?
 
mcdu
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: WN 8725 KOAK - PHNL She's on her way!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:53 pm

737’s go to the islands everyday. This is not a major event. If anything WN is really late to the party. Having a home in the islands I haven’t heard anyone pining to have WN serving Hawaii. Most are FF of UA, HA or AK and don’t see the need for WN. WN may fare similarly to Allegiant.

Reminds me of the AW 747 service to japan. They created flying that didn’t fit the company. WN is not a good fit for long haul vacation traffic. Families want to sit together. They may have children too old for pre boarding and they may only make those once a year trips. Assigned seats are a big item for families on a vacation. No ability to get hot food even with but on board or a premium cabin is going to hurt also. Let’s see how well this experiment works out.
Last edited by mcdu on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
mcdu
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: WN 8725 KOAK - PHNL She's on her way!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:55 pm

STLflyer wrote:
Any insight into what's going on in the cabin right now? I'm sure some FAA inspectors are on there, are they just relaxing and enjoying the ride, or what sort of work would they be doing right now? Other than FAA, who might be on it?


What are the inspectors doing? Probably naming their price for a successful completion since WN is involved.
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4577
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: WN 8725 KOAK - PHNL She's on her way!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 pm

mcdu wrote:
737’s go to the islands everyday. This is not a major event. If anything WN is really late to the party. Having a home in the islands I haven’t heard anyone pining to have WN serving Hawaii. Most are FF of UA, HA or AK and don’t see the need for WN. WN may fare similarly to Allegiant.


It’s a major event for WN and people interested which we all know does not include you.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
barney captain
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: WN 8725 KOAK - PHNL She's on her way!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:09 pm

mcdu wrote:
737’s go to the islands everyday. This is not a major event. If anything WN is really late to the party. Having a home in the islands I haven’t heard anyone pining to have WN serving Hawaii. Most are FF of UA, HA or AK and don’t see the need for WN. WN may fare similarly to Allegiant.

Reminds me of the AW 747 service to japan. They created flying that didn’t fit the company. WN is not a good fit for long haul vacation traffic. Families want to sit together. They may have children too old for pre boarding and they may only make those once a year trips. Assigned seats are a big item for families on a vacation. No ability to get hot food even with but on board or a premium cabin is going to hurt also. Let’s see how well this experiment works out.


Right on cue....... :roll:
Southeast Of Disorder
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos