USAirFLL
Topic Author

Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Int’l Memories

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:34 am

Current events at FLL are covered in the South Florida thread however, would love to hear memories or photos from FLL’s past. A cool history from its beginning as a NAS through being a small regional airport, and what I feel was it’s arrival to the “big time”......the then new 1986 Terminal Complex. It has served as focus cities for Delta, Eastern, and US Airways in the past. Today it is bursting at the seems as the main hub for Spirit as well as a major focus station for Southwest and Jet Blue. Let’s hear some great memories and photos for our “La Guardia of the South”.

Thanks!

afcjets

Re: Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Int’l Memories

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:54 am

I flew on the A300 for the first time in the Spring of 1981 as a kid on Eastern on a thru flight FLL-ATL-CLT. The ATL terminal has just opened 6 months ago so my Dad and I deplaned and even took the tram to another concourse and the moving sidewalk back to concourse C to our gate. Both FLL and ATL were so nice and spacious back then and not the least bit crowded.

afcjets

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 am

Ironically the destination with the most daily flights from FLL back then was MIA with almost 25 daily jet flights a day, and several were widebody. This is probably the only route in the history of aviation where there were more jets per day than miles between the airports, which is only 20.

http://www.departedflights.com/FLL81p1.html

United_fan

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:16 pm

As I have only been going there sine '01, I have a few. I remember the holes in the fence for pictures. I remember SAA 747-400 coming in and all types of Delta's fleet. Also the Delta and USAirways 737-200's. Laker Bahamas 727's,too.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:59 pm

There used to be a railroad running up the east side. EAL B727 performance manual had a weight limitation, if a train was passing. We’d get weights with or without “train on track”; not a small difference. If train on track, wait for train to pass.

Flew a FLL-EWR leg during Spring Break leaving about 2230. Full, young lady in overcoat upgraded to first. F/A asked several times if she would like to put the coat in the closet. “No.” Upon arrival, agent comes down the jetway saying, “you wouldn’t believe the girl in the overcoat. Flashed her boyfriend at the gate, stark naked.”

GF

directorguy

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Can someone please explain why airlines used to fly FLL-MIA?

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:51 pm

EAL did it to position for schedule or maintenance. DL once had a flight land to FLL when it was scheduled for MIA. ATC had the strip mislabeled, vectored the crew for the approach and landing, crew landed only to be asked by DL Ops why they were at FLL. The crew never questioned ATC.

GF

afcjets

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:16 pm

directorguy wrote:

I think it was a way for airlines to serve both FLL and MIA by flying nonstop to MIA with one stop to FLL or as a round robin from certain markets. SEA-PDX and LAX-SAN also had a ton of daily jets on several airlines including widebodies at the time for pretty much the same reason (and to some extent LAS-RNO and HNL-OGG), and now SEA-PDX is almost all Horizon Air with only one mainline AS flight and LAX-SAN has almost no mainline flights. The only difference is FLL-MIA had approximately zero local market, whereas SEA-PDX and LAX-SAN at least have some. Eventually FLL, OGG, PDX, RNO and SAN got nonstop service to more hubs and destinations and major airlines quit flying large jets on these short flights.
Last edited by afcjets on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Seabear

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
There used to be a railroad running up the east side. EAL B727 performance manual had a weight limitation, if a train was passing. We’d get weights with or without “train on track”; not a small difference. If train on track, wait for train to pass.

GF

"Weight" difference? Why would the presence of the train have any bearing on the weight of the aircraft?

The tracks are still present immediately adjacent to the east perimeter, in fact they actually pass underneath runway 28L.

Seabear

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

"Weight" difference? Why would the presence of the train have any bearing on the weight of the aircraft?

The tracks are still present immediately adjacent to the east perimeter, in fact they actually pass underneath runway 28L.

jmdc861

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm

No photos but 2 significant memories from the '60s! Gosh I am old!

1. Somewhere in the early 60s my dad would drive me out to the airport every night to watch one of the only 2 jet aircraft to arrive at the Fort Lauderdale Airport on a daily basis that being a Northeast Convair 880 arriving from JFK. Outside gate of course in those days where we were able to sit right by it. Each night after all the passengers would debark, the gate agent would say Gene are you hungry ? At which point he would invite me onto the aircraft so sit in the forward lounge of first class on the Convair 800 (yes they had lounges) and I would enjoy a pretty sumptuous steak dinner! Those were the days, pre-Yellowbird!

2. Also in the 60s I'd purchase a r.t. ticket from FLL to MIA on Mackey Airlines. Just to head down to MIA for a few hours and watch airplanes. Long story short, one trip down one morning my flight was scheduled FLL to MIA to GGT with a DC-4. There was a mechanical situation and they decided to put the GGT passengers on a non-stop later that day from FLL. But I was the only passenger headed to MIA the first stop. No Problem, they brought out a DC-6 no less and flew me alone! The flight attendant even served me a danish and juice! So my own private DC-6 that my ticket cost had only been $2.50 each way!

flymia

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Not much here, but I do remember when FLL was really a "second tier" airport. The growth the past 20-years has been impressive. The days where Delta was by far the largest airline with a bit of a focus city there. Delta really cut back in destinations it seems. But with the expansion of Spirit, JetBlue and Southwest the choices from FLL are great.

I used to rarely use FLL, but the past 5-years I have flown out of FLL more than MIA. I remember when FLL used to the quiet and easy airport to use. Now it is a mess and over crowded. A lot of improvements are still needed. Though I do like the new G gates.

And remember that very short lived US Airways mini-hub?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

afcjets

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm

flymia wrote:
Not much here, but I do remember when FLL was really a "second tier" airport

Back in the 1980s, airfares into FLL were often higher than MIA. Once MIA became a large hub for AA and WN entered the market in 1993, the opposite became true and eventually FLL became one of the most popular destinations for (U)LCCs in the country.

crownvic

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 pm

My best spotting at FLL was early 70's seeing Elvis Presley's Lisa Marie Convair 880 parked on an angle with its tail facing right along US 1....Also later on saw the Braniff Calder DC-8 as well as Mackey DC-6's there too...

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 pm

Seabear wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Because the train was an obstacle that required more performance at lift-off than the empty track did. The tracks then were quite close to the DER and posed a obstacle during first segment climb. Lift-off had to occur slightly earlier than without the train. It was pretty common, especially in D9 powered -200s to have weights including the weight of weight for several small children instead of adults occupying a seat, temps that were 2 or 2 degrees cooler than reported at pushback counting on cooling on taxi-out or using the wind component.

And all that’s why the train goes under 9R, not 28L

KBOS used, may still, have mins for “ships in the channel” and the ships used to planned for take-off.

GF

Indy

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:31 pm

afcjets wrote:
Ironically the destination with the most daily flights from FLL back then was MIA with almost 25 daily jet flights a day, and several were widebody. This is probably the only route in the history of aviation where there were more jets per day than miles between the airports, which is only 20.

That is funny. Who in the world would fly FLL-MIA? This isn't just an endless series of RJs feeding a hub. This is a rather significant number of carriers on the route.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:07 am

afcjets wrote:
flymia wrote:

Back in the 1980s, airfares into FLL were often higher than MIA. Once MIA became a large hub for AA and WN entered the market in 1993, the opposite became true and eventually FLL became one of the most popular destinations for (U)LCCs in the country.

FLL was absolutely a second-tier airport with no unique destinations (save ISP for a few years on EA) that were not served from MIA. In fact FLL while busier than PBI didn't boast many destinations you couldn't fly to from PBI. FLL lost LAX nonstops after PA merged with NA and never got them consistently back until Carnival and then AA flew it in 1996 or 1997. DEN nonstops on UA came and went. There was never any SFO nonstops and no PHX or LAS till HP came in the late 1990's (CO flew LAS briefly but maybe for only six months or so). The idea of having the frequency of flights we now see from FLL to points west of Mississippi was a mere fantasy as late twenty years ago. If you were going anywhere west of Chicago or Texas you had to fly from MIA. If you were going to the Caribbean you had to fly from MIA. Now it's easier to get flights from FLL to the west coast and Caribbean than from MIA in most cases. Boy how times change.

What changed? WN. Period. FLL exploded at the seams after and honestly to me is the dictionary picture of "The Southwest Effect." That as stated above coupled with AA making MIA a fortress hub really turned the story forever. By the mid 2000's FLL was carrying as many domestic passengers as MIA, and eventually surpassed it. Int'l flights now have come in droves also and you essentially have two airlines hubbing at FLL (B6 & NK) with a large focus city for what is now the biggest US domestic carrier (WN),

People started driving from Dade and Palm Beach just to fly WN and it exposed the untapped potential of an airport centrally located in a massive metro area. The rest is history so the speak...

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:12 am

Indy wrote:
afcjets wrote:

That is funny. Who in the world would fly FLL-MIA? This isn't just an endless series of RJs feeding a hub. This is a rather significant number of carriers on the route.

Sometimes they were due also to restrictions on cities served. Fort Lauderdale wasn't in the US-Canada air treaty at the time but Miami was. Orlando wasn't but Tampa was. So DL and/or EA routed a lot of flights FLL-MIA-YYZ or FLL-MIA-YUL. Some were also repositioning flights. BOS-MIA-FLL to deploy for the morning FLL-PHL-YYZ run or such. Some were as mentioned tag ons for regular domestic flights like DEN-MIA-FLL or LAX-MIA-FLL, etc.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:14 am

afcjets wrote:
flymia wrote:

I believe FLL is in the top 5 or 10 of LCC destinations in the world. Even without Ryanair or Easyjet coming to the states!

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 am

United_fan wrote:
As I have only been going there sine '01, I have a few. I remember the holes in the fence for pictures. I remember SAA 747-400 coming in and all types of Delta's fleet. Also the Delta and USAirways 737-200's. Laker Bahamas 727's,too.

The SAA 744 was a wonderful sight at FLL. Service ended when they joined the Star Alliance and began codesharing with UA rather than DL IIRC. Shifted the flight to IAD.

csavel

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:31 am

I used to fly to FLL monthly in the late 70s to visit my father. Fond memories of Delta L1011's from JFK and my first Airbus ride on an Eastern A300.

I remember those train tracks because they were at grade, meaning if a train was coming through, the gates would go down and you would have to wait at the airport entrance. There was no direct entrance to the airport from I-95 at that time. If you were late for a flight it was torture because some of those freight trains were l-o-o-o-o-n-g. Even as a boy I thought it was the screwiest thing ever.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

USAirFLL
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 am

Once the mid 1980’s Terminal Complex opened flyover bridges were built and US 1 was rerouted further away from 9/27. Didn’t they have to construct the terminals in and around the old and still active terminal buildings? That made for some operational challenges I’m sure.

SPREE34

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
There used to be a railroad running up the east side. EAL B727 performance manual had a weight limitation, if a train was passing. We’d get weights with or without “train on track”; not a small difference. If train on track, wait for train to pass. ......

I have a photo of where one hit the East end fence on departure circa 1973. Aft end of the aircraft struck it and left a U shape in the upper crossmember.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

crownvic

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:25 am

Indy wrote:
afcjets wrote:

People like me, who lived in South Florida in the early days of frequent flyer programs, where you could really take advantage of the system. In the early days, the 500 mile minimum miles applied and airlines were always offering great specials to FFs. Specials like "fly two roundtrips before 12/31 and earn xyz bonus". With $19.00 air fares common on this route, aircraft were frequently filled with others doing the same thing. We were the "Founding Fathers" of mileage runs and it was cheap and easy in those days.

jetpixx

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 am

My first flight in 1980 was from CLE-FLL nonstop on a UA 727. I used to fly alone as a kid from FLL, mostly through ATL, although once through PIT, to CLE. Back in the day, FLL used to be very smallish, and it is amazing to see it is like a mini-MIA now. I used to get excited seeing Wardair DC10s, the occasional South African 747 and AirTransat L1011s at the field. Now, you have Azul, Emirates, Norwegian, etc. I never thought I'd see the day...

When I got my license, the first place I drove was FLL to go spot off of Ravenswood Rd. I used to love that airport...

My last flight out of there was R/T on NK to SJU, and a quick hitter to visit friends from RDU-FLL. It's amazing how huge the place is now, and that amazing ski jump runway is...just wow.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

arcticcruiser

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am

Did part of my flight training at a small flight school on the South side of FLL in the Summer of 1978. Happy days. Early nineties I did several flights in there as F/O on the 757.

buzzard302

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 pm

flymia wrote:
Not much here, but I do remember when FLL was really a "second tier" airport. The growth the past 20-years has been impressive. The days where Delta was by far the largest airline with a bit of a focus city there. Delta really cut back in destinations it seems. But with the expansion of Spirit, JetBlue and Southwest the choices from FLL are great.

I used to rarely use FLL, but the past 5-years I have flown out of FLL more than MIA. I remember when FLL used to the quiet and easy airport to use. Now it is a mess and over crowded. A lot of improvements are still needed. Though I do like the new G gates.

And remember that very short lived US Airways mini-hub?

Yeah I avoid FLL these days. I am north and use PBI if at all possible. It's a breeze for fly in/out of PBI. The flights are limited, but if you are willing to connect in ATL, you are set. The traffic and infrastructure around FLL and MIA are awful. I remember being a kid in the 80's and south Florida was much less crowded and way more laid back.

BUFJACK10

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Indy wrote:
afcjets wrote:

This was quite common on both coasts during the 70’s and 80’s. It was just a way that provided an opportunity for airlines to serve 2 close airports with 1 aircraft. Unlike today, it was more cost efficient. Some other examples were LAX - SAN, SEA - PDX, and to a lesser extent JFK -YUL(maybe YMX) for international airlines.
AA AK AL AQ AS B6 CO DL EA FL F9 HP KN NY MO NW PA PE PI RC QX TW UA UR US WN AF AN AO CS IB OA TR VS
A300 A319 A320 BAE146 BAC111 DC8 DC9 DC10 MD80 707 717 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 L10 F27 F28 F100 ERJ CRJ SE-210 SSC B1900 ATR42 ATR72 DH8 E120 SWM

drdisque

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Here are my memories from the early 90's:

The Laker Bahamas 727 perpetually parked across the runway from the terminal
The "characters" who would show up at the Chalk's check-in desk

The first "weird" operation I ever noticed as a kid: a TWA 727 was lined up on the runway (now known as 28R I believe) and had been cleared for departure, it sat there for several minutes, then taxied up to the first turnoff on the right and turned off and came back around and held short on the south side of the runway, a few other aircraft arrived or departed and then it departed. I'm guessing they didn't have their "numbers" yet when they lined up and since that runway was used for arrivals and departures they had to vacate. But it was the first thing I never noticed anything go "not as planned' with actual aircraft movements as a kid and not something that I will forget.

synanthropic

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:05 pm

FLL is a breeze to fly into and out from (IMO) - recently, we did a FLL - OSL - Svalbard flight that was one of the most comfortable flights ever. Layover in OSL was barely 3 hours and within a half day and just one small stop, we were at the top of the world.

I learned to fly on 9L and 9R in the late 90s and remember lots of quiet Sundays, it would be and those beautiful fat little Chalk's shorts doing little island-hopping flights around FLL. I remember when SAA had their route here and watching that graceful bird descend over I-95 from my little 172. Great memories of a wonderful airport! In fact, I would say that my love of fat little high-wing airplane 'vans' came from my time at FLL (with all the local little short-haul companies). Give me a Shorts or D-28 any day :D

On a side note, the FLL Master Plan looks quite stunning, if they can eventually bring train service in. Of course this remains to be seen, but I (for one) think it would be great to have FLL and MIA both accessible by a shared train service! We've been taking the high speed train quite a bit over the last month with some family and friends visiting; it's so nice to have that option as well!

99NY

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Flew there a bunch as a kid when my family would go to Hollywood Beach during the Easter break week from school. My first flight on an Eastern L-1011 was to FLL, and in a few of the subsequent years we flew L-1011s back and forth both ways to LGA instead of the usual 727-200. Nothing special other than it being a big plane, but riding a L-1011 into LGA was pretty awesome.

As for the terminal, I remember it being impossibly modern, open and bright compared to LGA, complete with the pre-recorded escalator safety messages which up until that point I had only heard in the movie Airplane!.

Flaps

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Mackey Convairs, the brightly colored Shawnee planes, old propliners scattered just about everywhere. In the 70's FLL was a spotters paradise.

atypical

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:12 am

Around 1981 TWA opened a gate section that was a dogleg L shape off what is currently F concourse. It had 6 to 8 gates as I recall that pointed north at the end. FLL was a big part of their deregulation expansion. I believe the initial expansion was 10 flights primarily using 707s, 727s, and a couple of L1011s. That gate extension was torn down before the 90s.

OB1504

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:29 am

99NY wrote:
As for the terminal, I remember it being impossibly modern, open and bright compared to LGA, complete with the pre-recorded escalator safety messages which up until that point I had only heard in the movie Airplane!.

You likely flew out of Terminal 1. Terminal 4 before the new concourse opened was definitely starting to show its age.

synanthropic wrote:
FLL is a breeze to fly into and out from (IMO) - recently, we did a FLL - OSL - Svalbard flight that was one of the most comfortable flights ever. Layover in OSL was barely 3 hours and within a half day and just one small stop, we were at the top of the world.

Traffic on the arrivals level can get absolutely awful. MIA has multiple curbs and segregates taxis and shared ride vans and as a result doesn’t suffer from the same gridlock.

synanthropic wrote:
On a side note, the FLL Master Plan looks quite stunning, if they can eventually bring train service in. Of course this remains to be seen, but I (for one) think it would be great to have FLL and MIA both accessible by a shared train service! We've been taking the high speed train quite a bit over the last month with some family and friends visiting; it's so nice to have that option as well!

Tri-Rail has been running between both airports for 30 years now.

ILS28ORD

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 pm

The first time I used FLL was around 2009 on Delta and remember thinking what crappy terminal they had there. Bare bones, open waiting room with nothing to eat, no bar, and dirty. You were also trapped in the specific terminal you checked into, which in deltas case was pretty bad if you were waiting more than an hour for your flight. It truly was the LGA of the south. The terminals have been improved and are much better now. I still use MIA if I can, but FLL has become more than useable to get just about anywhere these days.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:17 pm

atypical wrote:
Around 1981 TWA opened a gate section that was a dogleg L shape off what is currently F concourse. It had 6 to 8 gates as I recall that pointed north at the end. FLL was a big part of their deregulation expansion. I believe the initial expansion was 10 flights primarily using 707s, 727s, and a couple of L1011s. That gate extension was torn down before the 90s.

Yes flights at various points in the early 80's to BOS, LGA, JFK, EWR, PHL, STL maybe CVG or DAY also IIRC. Lots of one-stop service also to destinations in the midwest and northeast. TW initially after deregulation had big plans for south Florida ramping up FLL and MIA, opening PBI and applying for MIA-LHR authority. Eventually, all stations were reduced to spokes (with the exception of a bit of a frenzy right after EA and PA collapses at all three airports before again pulling back) though PBI had an Ambassadors Club until near the end.

phatfarmlines

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Any good interior pictures of FLL before and during the mid-80's rebuild?

synanthropic

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm

OB1504 wrote:

Ah, I see the confusion here - the (extremely preliminary) Master Plan Briefing has rail service coming direct into FLL; no shuttle to the train off-site like what you're noting. Of course, it remains to be seen if this will occur, as these briefings/overviews are often subject to the winds of change. However, it's nice to see direct rail service into FLL on a Master Plan and the timeline is moving along nicely right now. Overall, this is an interesting discussion point here.

It should be noted that Phase 1 of the Master Plan is almost complete (I believe the first part Phase 2 was officially started 22 Jan 2019); Phase 2 will need to be completed (including the final feasibility, environmental, sustainability, financial, capital improvement, etc plans). BCAD is looking to complete the plan and the ALP by 2020 (including BOCC approval) with final submission to the FAA. I'm sure a lot will change in the interim, but the timeline is moving along so far - it will be interesting to note what occurs over this year.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm

synanthropic wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

Ah, I see the confusion here - the (extremely preliminary) Master Plan Briefing has rail service coming direct into FLL; no shuttle to the train off-site like what you're noting. Of course, it remains to be seen if this will occur, as these briefings/overviews are often subject to the winds of change. However, it's nice to see direct rail service into FLL on a Master Plan and the timeline is moving along nicely right now. Overall, this is an interesting discussion point here.

It should be noted that Phase 1 of the Master Plan is almost complete (I believe the first part Phase 2 was officially started 22 Jan 2019); Phase 2 will need to be completed (including the final feasibility, environmental, sustainability, financial, capital improvement, etc plans). BCAD is looking to complete the plan and the ALP by 2020 (including BOCC approval) with final submission to the FAA. I'm sure a lot will change in the interim, but the timeline is moving along so far - it will be interesting to note what occurs over this year.

Tri-Rail is far more useful for MIA than it is for FLL thanks to the MIC and MIA Mover. Just shot by FLL today on the Brightline. You get great runway views from the train including seeing an Emirates 777-2 and an Azul 330-3. Just a pity the train does not stop there. Any improvement in shuttle service to the airport or rail service would be welcome.

Brickell305

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:31 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
synanthropic wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

Tri-Rail is far more useful for MIA than it is for FLL thanks to the MIC and MIA Mover. Just shot by FLL today on the Brightline. You get great runway views from the train including seeing an Emirates 777-2 and an Azul 330-3. Just a pity the train does not stop there. Any improvement in shuttle service to the airport or rail service would be welcome.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think that every time I take Brightline.

phllax

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 pm

We usually flew to PBI from PHL, but one year we flew to FLL, which Eastern called Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale. I remember having a meltdown as a little kid in the airport in PHL about having to fly all the way to Los Angeles, before going to Florida, even though my parents tried to tell me that there was a Hollywood in Florida!

jackball74

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:48 pm

directorguy wrote:

Because it beats the heck out of driving I-95 if you have to commute!

spinkid

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 am

My mom and sister lived in Ft. Lauderdale from 1988-2000 so I was there multiple times a year during the 90s. I took the cheapest fares I could find and got to fly so many carriers before I was 25. Carnival from SWF, HPN and JFK, Braniff III from JFK, Skybus I from EWR, I was happy to see jetBlue come along. I also flew, Delta, Eastern,Air Tran, American, TWA from LGA many times.

I can remember before 9/11 there was a great place for spotting you could pull your car up to. I also remember seeing those Laker Air planes. I also remember you drive right in, pretty close to the control tower.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos