MDW22L31C
Topic Author

5 million passengers flew through ONT in 2018

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:20 pm

More than 5.1 million airline passengers moved through Ontario International Airport (ONT) in 2018, the highest annual total since 2008. The airport has added nearly 900,000 passengers since its transition to local control in late 2016 when more than 4.2 million flew through ONT.

For calendar year 2018, ONT welcomed 5,115,894 air travelers, an increase of 12.4% over the 2017 total of 4,552,702. Domestic passenger volume grew by 10.8%, while the number of international travelers rose 61.1%.

SQ22

Re: 5 million passengers flew through ONT in 2018

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Can you provide a source please?

janders

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Not just ONT, the tide is rising at other LA basin airports also.

BUR broke 5 million mark itself with 5.2mil enplanements in 2018, up 11 percent from 2017.

Hollywood Burbank Airport passenger traffic is really taking off
https://www.dailynews.com/2019/02/06/ho ... aking-off/

Of course, LAX also broke its own records - 87.5mil in 2018.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

seat38a

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm

This isn't surprising. ONT's fortunes like the rest of IE is heavy tied to how the economy is doing. When the economy is booming, the IE and ONT is the next best thing. Come a slowdown in the economy and now its the worst thing to happen to America. It's the same story repeating itself.

MDW22L31C
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 pm

SQ22 wrote:
Can you provide a source please?

The airport web site.
www.flyontario.com

PatrickZ80

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:48 pm

No wonder, besides LAX it's the only airport in the Los Angeles area that can handle long haul international travel. No doubt the China Airlines flights to Taipei are responsible for a large portion of the international growth.

In the future I can see more airlines, mostly LCCs, use Ontario as an alternative to LAX. As a matter of fact I've always been surprised Norwegian has picked the more expensive LAX over the cheaper Ontario. It would have been an easy way for them to save some costs. But who knows what the future will bring....

joeycapps

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:04 pm

seat38a wrote:
This isn't surprising. ONT's fortunes like the rest of IE is heavy tied to how the economy is doing. When the economy is booming, the IE and ONT is the next best thing. Come a slowdown in the economy and now its the worst thing to happen to America. It's the same story repeating itself.

:checkmark: This.

I dropped family off at ONT last night for the B6 redeye and was shocked. I remember years ago, that T4 is a ghost town at 10pm, save the one Aeromexico flight that took off at like 1am and the B6 redeye.

Frontier's line was out the door, literally. Volaris' was the same. China's desk was pretty busy too, given the flight was to depart less than an hour after I was there. Looked like a very healthy mix of Asians and non-Asian tourists.

Unfortunately, given its high reliance on blue collar jobs and retail, the Inland Empire is the first to tumble in even the smallest recession. As much as I'd love for ONT to be the next LAX - for selfish reasons, I admit - I just can't see it happening from any angle.

Eindhoven

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Only 5 million pax for ONT? Not so much for an airport that is the second intl. airport in the Los Angeles area.

For comparison, EIN handled 6.2 million pax in 2018 (source: http://persberichten.deperslijst.com/10 ... -2018.html). It is the second airport in the Netherlands after AMS. Comparing the Los Angeles area to the Netherlands, Los Angeles has the larger primary airport (LAX is busier than AMS) but the Netherlands has the larger secondary airport (EIN is busier than ONT).

But to give ONT some credit, it grew faster than EIN in 2018. EIN only grew 9% which is less than ONT.

BGS91762

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Very nice surprise that China Airlines flight appears to be successful. I've taken it twice and several friends have taken it and it has been completely full. Especially surprising to see the loads so good in Business and Premium Economy. The fares appear to be slightly higher than LAX which also supports that this flight is doing well. Let's hope China Airlines start at ONT is the beginning of more international flights.

LAXintl

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Think its largely the broader economic upswing that is seeing airports grow.
As posted BUR saw a similar increase in 2018 and while LGB and SNA have not reported yet, both are also up in 2018 over 2017.

BGS91762 wrote:
Very nice surprise that China Airlines flight appears to be successful. I've taken it twice and several friends have taken it and it has been completely full. Especially surprising to see the loads so good in Business and Premium Economy. The fares appear to be slightly higher than LAX which also supports that this flight is doing well. Let's hope China Airlines start at ONT is the beginning of more international flights.

What makes you think its profitable? They reduced gauge and frequency.

Rule #1 is full planes don't equate to profitability :old:
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

BGS91762

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:44 pm

China Airlines has been back to 7 days a week since October. Also, you are correct they have replaced the flight with a new A350 vice the 777. This is probably also a factor in the probability of the flight along with ONT being way more convenient to the majority of the Asian population in the LA area.

IPFreely

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Eindhoven wrote:
Comparing the Los Angeles area to the Netherlands, Los Angeles has the larger primary airport (LAX is busier than AMS) but the Netherlands has the larger secondary airport (EIN is busier than ONT).

Do you have a point?

And in case you don’t know, the Los Angeles metropolitan area doesn’t have one secondary airport. It has four: ONT, BUR, LGB, and SNA.

UPlog

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 pm

It seems to me as someone that operates out of ONT quite frequently, if the economy gets a cold, much of the traffic will evaporate again.

Between the high leisure component of travelers and fact that some new flights are operating under incentives, once things turn for the worse, I don't see how the airport will sustain such flying on the back of the marginal Inland Empire economy.

And speaking of other airports, PSP also saw record 2018 with an 11 percent increase also over 2017, so no I don't think anything being seen at ONT is unique. Appears entire region is seeing solid growth in travel during 2018.

BGS91762 wrote:
ONT being way more convenient to the majority of the Asian population in the LA area.

:sarcastic: Now you've really lost me with that statement... Asian .. common..

I guess you've not heard of Koreatown, Thai Town, Filipinotown, Little Saigon, Little Cambodia, Little India, etc. All seem closer to LAX to me.

travelin man

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 pm

LAXintl wrote:

As posted BUR saw a similar increase in 2018 and while LGB and SNA have not reported yet, both are also up in 2018 over 2017.

SNA grew 2.3% in 2018 to 10,664.038 passengers.
https://www.ocair.com/newsroom/news/?nr=nr-2019-01-22

Eindhoven wrote:
Only 5 million pax for ONT? Not so much for an airport that is the second intl. airport in the Los Angeles area.

For comparison, EIN handled 6.2 million pax in 2018 (source: http://persberichten.deperslijst.com/10 ... -2018.html). It is the second airport in the Netherlands after AMS. Comparing the Los Angeles area to the Netherlands, Los Angeles has the larger primary airport (LAX is busier than AMS) but the Netherlands has the larger secondary airport (EIN is busier than ONT).

But to give ONT some credit, it grew faster than EIN in 2018. EIN only grew 9% which is less than ONT.

This is an odd comparison, but the second largest "international" airport in the LA area is not ONT, it's actually SNA per the above stats.

BGS91762

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:17 pm

It's hard for me to understand why some people have such a hard time ever thinking ONT will be successful. It's catchment area encompasses way more than the Inland Empire including the San Gabriel Valley and North OC. Also, the IE is way different that it was 20 years ago with many upper middle class neighborhoods in areas close to the airport. As for the Asian population, nobody said that all the Asian centers are closer to ONT, however, it is well known that one of the largest Asian concentrations in the US is in the San Gabriel Valley and has steadily been moving east to places such as Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, and Eastvale.

PatrickZ80

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:33 pm

UPlog wrote:
I guess you've not heard of Koreatown, Thai Town, Filipinotown, Little Saigon, Little Cambodia, Little India, etc. All seem closer to LAX to me.

When it comes to distance, perhaps. However when it comes to ease of getting to the airport, Ontario might actually be more convenient.

All of them are more or less near Union Station. Do you know how inconvenient it is to get from Union Station to LAX? I know, I've done it. When I was in Los Angeles I stayed in an AirBnB address near Heritage Square / Arroyo station. From there I had to take the Gold Line, Red Line, Blue Line, Green Line and finally the shuttle bus to LAX.

On the other side i could get a direct train from Union Station to East Ontario Metrolink Station from where there's a shuttle bus to Ontario airport. A little further perhaps, but much more convenient. Believe me, for my visit to Los Angeles I would have been happy to use Ontario instead of LAX. It wasn't to be, the airline (Norwegian) had picked LAX.

seat38a

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:41 pm

BGS91762 wrote:
It's hard for me to understand why some people have such a hard time ever thinking ONT will be successful. It's catchment area encompasses way more than the Inland Empire including the San Gabriel Valley and North OC. Also, the IE is way different that it was 20 years ago with many upper middle class neighborhoods in areas close to the airport. As for the Asian population, nobody said that all the Asian centers are closer to ONT, however, it is well known that one of the largest Asian concentrations in the US is in the San Gabriel Valley and has steadily been moving east to places such as Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, and Eastvale.

Because we've heard this same song over and over gain before.
Strong economy = IE, the fastest growing region in the USA.
Weak economy = Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Meth capital of the USA.

It would be great if it isn't the case this time around.

UPlog

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Do you know how inconvenient it is to get from Union Station to LAX?

There is a nonstop airport bus. Could not be easier!

https://www.flylax.com/en/flyaway-bus

seat38a

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
UPlog wrote:

When it comes to distance, perhaps. However when it comes to ease of getting to the airport, Ontario might actually be more convenient.

All of them are more or less near Union Station. Do you know how inconvenient it is to get from Union Station to LAX? I know, I've done it. When I was in Los Angeles I stayed in an AirBnB address near Heritage Square / Arroyo station. From there I had to take the Gold Line, Red Line, Blue Line, Green Line and finally the shuttle bus to LAX.

On the other side i could get a direct train from Union Station to East Ontario Metrolink Station from where there's a shuttle bus to Ontario airport. A little further perhaps, but much more convenient. Believe me, for my visit to Los Angeles I would have been happy to use Ontario instead of LAX. It wasn't to be, the airline (Norwegian) had picked LAX.

Ok, well that was a total waste of time thing to do taking the train. Union Station has the FlyAway bus that takes you directly to LAX. It also uses the Harbor HOT toll lanes so you get to LAX in 45 minutes in rush hour traffic. Outside of traffic, 20minutes from terminal 7 to LAUS. Even Google Maps/Transit routes you onto FlyAway.

janders

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:56 pm

BGS91762 wrote:
It's hard for me to understand why some people have such a hard time ever thinking ONT will be successful. It's catchment area encompasses way more than the Inland Empire including the San Gabriel Valley and North OC. Also, the IE is way different that it was 20 years ago with many upper middle class neighborhoods in areas close to the airport.

You can't shy away from economic realities and demographics. Yes as IE grows and becomes more prosperous so does OC and other parts of LA. Its all relative.

I don't know a nice way of putting it, but you still have the lower stratus of population base in the IE, so when things go bad, they are some of the first to suffer be it property values, industry cuts, job losses etc.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Do you know how inconvenient it is to get from Union Station to LAX? I know, I've done it. When I was in Los Angeles I stayed in an AirBnB address near Heritage Square / Arroyo station. From there I had to take the Gold Line, Red Line, Blue Line, Green Line and finally the shuttle bus to LAX..

You must enjoy running in circles.

As others mentioned you have a big comfortable nonstop bus directly between Union Station and LAX. Super easy.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

BGS91762

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 pm

You are correct, it is super easy to take the Flyaway bus to LAX. I live very close to ONT, however, when I fly to most international places I take a Metro link train which goes straight to Union Station, then walk upstairs to the Flyaway bus. It is so easy. I for one am grateful to live next to ONT for most flights, but also have an easy way to get to LAX for those longer flights. Guess we are spoiled living in the LA area.

many321

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:10 pm

LAXintl wrote:
They reduced gauge and frequency.

Yea, no. CI went back to daily on Oct 28 with the A350 for late night departures and afternoon arrivals for their inbounds from TPE.

Seems its a while since someone talked about CI's odyssey at ONT on A.net since most of the chatting has continued at Flyer Talk.

JHwk

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:18 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

The FlyAway busses go out of Union Station every half-hour.

BGS91762

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 pm

Flyaway busses are every 20 minutes from Union Station to LAX during rush hours. They are usually pretty full with travelers and airport employees who use the train and busses to connect from further out.

many321

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:33 pm

BGS91762 wrote:

There's being a ton of construction around the ONT area with new studio like apartments, new car dealers moving, new companies such as QVC, so the I.E. at the moment is booming. Though, who knows what happens when the economy goes down. I hope it doesn't hit the area hard.

With the Asian communities and CI...

I agree, and perhaps that's why CI might last a bit longer at ONT since most people using the flight come from Walnut, Pomona, Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, City of Industry, El Monte, Alhambra, Arcadia, Brea, Fullerton, Covina, West Covina,

Though, for the time being I don't see other Asian carriers moving to ONT due to the demographics for example there were rumors that OIAA were trying to court CA though CA did their questionnaires and said it wouldn't be viable since their point of sale were nearer to LAX. Perhaps it will be the same with other communities.

However, I know of people who could fly to Manila non-stop though chose to fly CI from ONT due to avoiding the drama at LAX and quick hour and half layover in TPE. So, who knows what could happen later on.
Last edited by many321 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

many321

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 pm

Don't want to derail the thread, though would anyone know if Flyaway charges LAX employees to use that bus or is it free of charge for them?

MDW22L31C
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 pm

Its' nice to see DL adding flights to ATL, SWA adding flights to SFO and 1 extra flight to DEN and UA resuming flight a redeye to IAH this year to ONT.

seat38a

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:14 am

many321 wrote:
Don't want to derail the thread, though would anyone know if Flyaway charges LAX employees to use that bus or is it free of charge for them?

Employees have to buy a monthly pass. Metrolink monthly pass holders, its free if they show their boarding pass.

BGS91762

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:17 am

The two times I took the China Flight from ONT I would estimate a third we’re traveling in to the Phillipines and another third traveling to Vietnam. The fact that ONT has lower landing fees than LAX could also help this flight be a success.

MIflyer12

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

There's a less than 35-minute LAX FlyAway bus direct from Union Station to LAX. Maybe it didn't exist when you visited. Your out-of-date info isn't relevant now.

many321

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:51 am

BGS91762 wrote:
The two times I took the China Flight from ONT I would estimate a third we’re traveling in to the Phillipines and another third traveling to Vietnam. The fact that ONT has lower landing fees than LAX could also help this flight be a success.

Their present schedule has helped get the numbers that most expected originally... OCT 82.9% (with the 77W), NOV 86.4%, DEC 83.1%

Interesting you mention Vietnamese passengers. I fear with the entrance of VN to the LA area might hurt CI's numbers at ONT.

Now that I remember I'm a member of a closed Facebook group that is monitored by ONT. Someone posted the article that was posted a few days back regarding the Vietnamese government about to be given authorization to fly to the U.S. This person mentioned VN had already applied to the DOT for a LAX spot, and that OIAA should try and court VN to start operations at ONT also. Though, most members of the group told this person most of the community lives nearer to LAX, so it wouldn't be viable; though if you mention that a third of the passengers are going to Vietnam, then it wouldn't hurt OIAA to at least attempt starting talks with them and start a study if a route to ONT is viable.

seat38a wrote:
Employees have to buy a monthly pass. Metrolink monthly pass holders, its free if they show their boarding pass.

Thanks for the info. :)

lightsaber

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:54 am

Congrats to ONT.

I'm not sure why all the comparison. Ironically, as the IE grows, it will survive downturns better as less work will be construction. A very cyclical industry. It is maturing as many extended cities do. Congrats.

Would I like to see direct rail to there? Yes. Will it one day be the #2 LA airport? Maybe.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

2travel2know2

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:01 am

Has ONT been talking to AV lately.
IMHO, ONT could support right now a couple of weekly flights to SAL.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

many321

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:21 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
Has ONT been talking to AV lately.
IMHO, ONT could support right now a couple of weekly flights to SAL.

Is that true? Were are you hearing this from since that would be a godsend since I'm half Salvadoran and there's a small Central American community in the I.E. that would be happy with flights to SAL. I could see them start service at SAL with an A319 or A220 then if needed move to the A320/A321.

BGS91762

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:33 am

The last time I took China Air from ONT I sat next a Vietnamese family from Garden Grove. They were so happy to be able to fly from ONT. They said even though they lived the same distance from LAX, it was so much easier. That’s the big advantage of ONT compared to LAX.

jplatts

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:35 am

There are still some more nonstop routes such as ONT-ABQ, ONT-BWI, ONT-HOU, ONT-MCI, ONT-BNA, and ONT-STL that could be added by WN at ONT.

many321

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:51 am

BGS91762 wrote:
The last time I took China Air from ONT I sat next a Vietnamese family from Garden Grove. They were so happy to be able to fly from ONT. They said even though they lived the same distance from LAX, it was so much easier. That’s the big advantage of ONT compared to LAX.

That sounds like a ringing endorsement for the route. Seeing the higher load % I can believe this.

Let's see if there's an uptick of passengers in upcoming several months/years when all the craziness starts at LAX with their major remodel, and perhaps switch back to the 77W.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos