The only thing that has some merits is the Port of Portland's rebuttal to AA which viciously attacked the DL's PDX-HND route.
They're the only local government which publicly came to fight with the airline. AA has done something too much, apparently.
Yeah, that was the only noteworthy response. PDX is likely worried about losing their Tokyo flight. This frequency allocation may make or break it.
Their reply was interesting, but it was laced with issues.
* They say operating a flight year-round (but of course not daily year-round) is enough to prove the viability of the switch.
* They assume the same O&D % gain at MSP-HND - a route with low O&D - can be extrapolated to one with high O&D. And what if MSP-HND was stimulated by low prices? Yields aren't mentioned.
* They mention the PDX-HND O&D passenger is paying 11% more. Well, there is no PDX-HND. Realistically that means they're talking about the few people flying HND-LAX-PDX or the like, routes likely low in demand and high in price, appealing to a small subset of passengers that want to fly out of HND and will literally fly the extra mile to do it.
* Then they combine the two "gains" to create a 30% suggested revenue increase with PDX-HND. That's pulling helpful numbers out of a hat, not a realistic estimate.
* Next, they're cleverly deceptive with the 8% revenue claim on NRT-SIN/MNL. For one, that tells us nothing about how many people are flying the route. It also excludes those flying LAX-PDX-NRT-SIN/MNL. And of course it's all dependent on where the revenue is assigned. If the airline doesn't assign as much revenue to PDX-NRT, it's going to be artificially low. 8% with those limiting factors is significant. It tells us that LAX and SIN/MNL are important starting and ending cities for PDX-NRT.
* And to cap it off, they say that DL committing the resources it must make it viable. Well, DL has asked for frequencies to replace all of their remaining NRT flights. If PDX was requested and another route wasn't, then PDX has a point. DL has also committed resources to more than HND route that ultimately failed. It tells us nothing that DL is asking for it.