WingsOfLove

Re: Updated: US DOT awards Haneda slots

Sun May 19, 2019 12:23 pm

flyingisthebest wrote:
if Delta launches Seattle-Singapore Daily it May force SQ out with 3 weekly. Delta would have a greater advantage being a DL hub so they have feed plus Seattle corporate would have a one carrier marketing to say we can get you to Singapore and New York with us.

SQ is an AS partner, dominates corporate accounts in Singapore, runs a formidable SE Asian network & flies nonstop to NY.

kavok

Sun May 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how AA/JL and UA/NH balance the connecting flows between HND/NRT. While NYC/LAX/SFO/HNL may be able to support both NRT & HND, for most other markets it will likely become service just to HND and not NRT.... which makes it important for NH/JL to make more connection opportunities available through HND.

Otherwise, several US markets flying to secondary Asian cities that have one stop connecting opportunities in NRT today, may now have to double connect in the future.

Coronado990

Mon May 20, 2019 2:21 am

It would be nice to see the SAN-NRT flight on JL switch to HND. However, due to a lack of PR service to SAN (despite a Filipino population of over 200,000), I was under the impression JL carries a good number of SAN-MNL passengers though NRT. Since HND does not accommodate that type of connection, my guess is that JL maintains SAN service through NRT.
We're up.

jbs2886

Mon May 20, 2019 3:16 am

Coronado990 wrote:
It would be nice to see the SAN-NRT flight on JL switch to HND. However, due to a lack of PR service to SAN (despite a Filipino population of over 200,000), I was under the impression JL carries a good number of SAN-MNL passengers though NRT. Since HND does not accommodate that type of connection, my guess is that JL maintains SAN service through NRT.

That's an interesting point. Similar to one noted above regarding Chinese destinations. It's going to put ANA/JAL in a pickle to decide at least until they are able to move more destinations to HND.

FSDan

Mon May 20, 2019 3:38 am

downdata wrote:
DL/AA will never fly from Guam.

While you're absolutely correct that it was UA and not DL that requested HND-GUM in this proceeding, did you realize that DL did fly to GUM from the time of the NW/DL merger until just last year, when they cut NRT-GUM and NRT-SPN? I wasn't sure if you were just speaking of the future (in which case I agree - I don't see DL returning to GUM anytime soon), or if you were making a blanket statement that GUM is not the type of destination that DL would serve (which would be easily disproved by a decade of completed flights).
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

LurveBus

Mon May 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Even though much of the traffic will indeed shift to HND, is DO really going to drop NRT in its entirety? Surely there’s still a market for 767 service from HNL and a mainland gateway like SEA or MSP that can maintain NRT as a mini scissor-hub for SIN and MNL.

In any case, I doubt either flight will be dropped until after the olympics. No use cutting flights to Tokyo when there’s likely going to be lots of demand.

VictorKilo wrote:
I wouldn't rule out a return of DTW-NGO-MNL. The demand from NGO is stronger in premium classes, while the demand from MNL is stronger in economy class. These two complementary markets were served by a 744 in the past, and could be served by a 339 in the future.

The problem is that both PR and 5J have since encroached on the NGO market in Delta’s absence.

kavok

Mon May 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Delta is soon to be done in NRT. They will not be flying a half-empty flight from the US mainland to NRT just to continue operating SIN/MNL. If operating SIN/MNL is that important, they’ll either fly it direct from the mainland, utilize KE, or (unlikely but possibly) utilize KIX/NGO. By summer 2020 there will be no DL in NRT.

What I find more interesting is what other NRT flights may get dropped. Simply put, the market isn’t big enough for UA/NH and AA/JL to add 20 new HND flights and not be forced to drop some of their NRT flights as well. And while I expect many of the cuts will be NRT-Hawaii/beach markets, I am making some predictions on what mainland US-NRT flights get cut in favor of new HND flights:

United, in their proposal, said they would drop ORD/IAD/IAH-NRT if they got HND slots. They got 2 of the 3, and I fully expect NH to use one of their slots on IAH-HND, effectively meaning UA will be dropping ORD,IAH,IAD-NRT. (NH will likely still continue all 3 to NRT on their metal).

My guess for NHs 6 HND adds are IAH (replacing UAs IAH-NRT), SFO, SJC (replacing SJC-NRT), and some Hawaii/Guam flights.

American only flies to NRT from DFW, LAX, and ORD. All three likely remain, unless they get picked up by JAL instead. Note in this prediction DFW goes from 2x daily NRT to 1x daily to each NRT/HND on AA metal.

Considering JAL, my guess for the 6 HND slots are BOS (replacing NRT), SAN (replacing NRT), SEA (toss up on whether this is an addition or replacement of NRT), one of LAX/DFW to HND, and two Hawaii-HND flights.

Curious what others could see happening in this regard.

klm617

Thu May 23, 2019 3:32 pm

I think one of the things that people have over looked is what do the Delta awards of HND mean for MSP-HND. Before MSP-HND was unique as it was the only connection point for Delta for customers who wanted to fly to HND instead of NRT. Now that has all changed because Delta customers can access HND with connections from all their hubs. Does this mean the end of MSP-HND because all this extra access is going to negatively impact that flight in a big way. Also as far as SIN and MNL what is the possibility of Delta operating from NRT to HNL, SEA or DTW to continue to feed those two destinations as two of those three would be the most likely to continue to have NRT access..
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Thu May 23, 2019 3:35 pm

kavok wrote:
Delta is soon to be done in NRT. They will not be flying a half-empty flight from the US mainland to NRT just to continue operating SIN/MNL. If operating SIN/MNL is that important, they’ll either fly it direct from the mainland, utilize KE, or (unlikely but possibly) utilize KIX/NGO. By summer 2020 there will be no DL in NRT.

What I find more interesting is what other NRT flights may get dropped. Simply put, the market isn’t big enough for UA/NH and AA/JL to add 20 new HND flights and not be forced to drop some of their NRT flights as well. And while I expect many of the cuts will be NRT-Hawaii/beach markets, I am making some predictions on what mainland US-NRT flights get cut in favor of new HND flights:

United, in their proposal, said they would drop ORD/IAD/IAH-NRT if they got HND slots. They got 2 of the 3, and I fully expect NH to use one of their slots on IAH-HND, effectively meaning UA will be dropping ORD,IAH,IAD-NRT. (NH will likely still continue all 3 to NRT on their metal).

My guess for NHs 6 HND adds are IAH (replacing UAs IAH-NRT), SFO, SJC (replacing SJC-NRT), and some Hawaii/Guam flights.

American only flies to NRT from DFW, LAX, and ORD. All three likely remain, unless they get picked up by JAL instead. Note in this prediction DFW goes from 2x daily NRT to 1x daily to each NRT/HND on AA metal.

Considering JAL, my guess for the 6 HND slots are BOS (replacing NRT), SAN (replacing NRT), SEA (toss up on whether this is an addition or replacement of NRT), one of LAX/DFW to HND, and two Hawaii-HND flights.

I'd really like to see NH come in and do DTW-NRT 3 or 4 weekly it seems with all the DTW Japan traffic that there must be some Japan based customers that would rather fly their home based airline rather than Delta and since Delta has basically called it quits in Japan their loyalty to that market is now minimal.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

jbs2886

Thu May 23, 2019 4:10 pm

klm617 wrote:
kavok wrote:

I'd really like to see NH come in and do DTW-NRT 3 or 4 weekly it seems with all the DTW Japan traffic that there must be some Japan based customers that would rather fly their home based airline rather than Delta and since Delta has basically called it quits in Japan their loyalty to that market is now minimal.

Yea, 10 flights a day is calling it quits.

klm617

Thu May 23, 2019 4:27 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
kavok wrote:

Where do you get 10 flights a day ?

ATL-HND
DTW-HND
SEA-HND
MSP-HND
HNL-HND
PDX-HND

Japanese carries and their JV partners can connect you to far more cities in the US nonstop than Delta does. Causing what once was NW/DL loyalty to shift to the Japanese carriers that can better suit the customer's needs

SESGDL

Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm

klm617 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

ATL-HND
DTW-HND
SEA-HND
MSP-HND
HNL-HND
PDX-HND

Japanese carries and their JV partners can connect you to far more cities in the US nonstop than Delta does. Causing what once was NW/DL loyalty to shift to the Japanese carriers that can better suit the customer's needs

You missed LAX-HND. And regardless, 7 daily flights is not remotely close to "calling it quits." Outside of London, Paris and Amsterdam, name another large international city (Canada and Mexico excluded, for obvious reasons) where DL has more daily flights than that. I guess that means DL has called it quits nearly everywhere...

Jeremy

jbs2886

Thu May 23, 2019 4:41 pm

SESGDL wrote:
klm617 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

ATL-HND
DTW-HND
SEA-HND
MSP-HND
HNL-HND
PDX-HND

You missed LAX-HND. And regardless, 7 daily flights is not remotely close to "calling it quits." Outside of London, Paris and Amsterdam, name another large international city (Canada and Mexico excluded, for obvious reasons) where DL has more daily flights than that. I guess that means DL has called it quits nearly everywhere...

Jeremy

+HNL-KIX
+HNL-NGO
+SEA-KIX
+DTW-NGO

So, you're right, I was wrong. Up to 11 flights a day, not 10 (you said DL was calling it quits in Japan).

klm617

Thu May 23, 2019 4:57 pm

SESGDL wrote:
klm617 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

ATL-HND
DTW-HND
SEA-HND
MSP-HND
HNL-HND
PDX-HND

Jeremy

Delta did the same thing at Frankfurt that they are now doing in Tokyo and look at how their loyalty eroded there. The same can be said in the Tokyo market. When you reduce accessibility people will jump ship and DL is no where what it was and isn't even close when it comes to AA/JL and UA/NH. So yes Japan is becoming a weak market for Delta as much of Asia has.

chonetsao

Thu May 23, 2019 5:22 pm

I would think the next logical step for JAL and ANA is to build frequency on existing HND routes to provide business travellers multiple daily schedule to one or two major getaway hubs (like LAX/SFO/ORD/DFW etc.).

LAXdude1023

Thu May 23, 2019 5:32 pm

klm617 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
klm617 wrote:

ATL-HND
DTW-HND
SEA-HND
MSP-HND
HNL-HND
PDX-HND

Jeremy

Delta did the same thing at Frankfurt that they are now doing in Tokyo and look at how their loyalty eroded there. The same can be said in the Tokyo market. When you reduce accessibility people will jump ship and DL is no where what it was and isn't even close when it comes to AA/JL and UA/NH. So yes Japan is becoming a weak market for Delta as much of Asia has.

And boy are they suffering because of it! Look at how much money DL is losing!!!!

:-I
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

klm617

Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:

Jeremy

And boy are they suffering because of it! Look at how much money DL is losing!!!!

Let's talk in 5 or 10 years what they are doing now may look good but what is the long term effect.

jbs2886

Thu May 23, 2019 6:51 pm

klm617 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
klm617 wrote:

ATL-HND
DTW-HND
SEA-HND
MSP-HND
HNL-HND
PDX-HND

Jeremy

So you'll also ignore the fact of how strong KE is in the market and that there is a JV. Ok....

LAXdude1023

Thu May 23, 2019 6:52 pm

klm617 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Let's talk in 5 or 10 years what they are doing now may look good but what is the long term effect.

Oh whatever. They haven’t been heavily entrenched in FRA since the 90s and they’ve been reducing NW’s old NRT hub for years. They know what makes money and what doesn’t.

Devilfish

Thu May 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Coronado990 wrote:

Or...ANA could send its 788 to MNL via NRT, route authority permitting.....

LurveBus wrote:
Surely there’s still a market for 767 service from HNL and a mainland gateway like SEA or MSP that can maintain NRT as a mini scissor-hub for SIN and MNL.

LurveBus wrote:
The problem is that both PR and 5J have since encroached on the NGO market in Delta’s absence.

Speaking of PR, by virtue of their partnership, might they cooperate with ANA on SEA-MNL with the possible withdrawal of DL to take advantage of the more premium traffic to NRT...given that it's only one nautical mile farther than the nonstop on Great Circle?.....

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SEA-NRT-MNL,SEA-MNL&DU=nm
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

lavalampluva

Thu May 23, 2019 7:09 pm

klm617 wrote:
I think one of the things that people have over looked is what do the Delta awards of HND mean for MSP-HND. Before MSP-HND was unique as it was the only connection point for Delta for customers who wanted to fly to HND instead of NRT. Now that has all changed because Delta customers can access HND with connections from all their hubs. Does this mean the end of MSP-HND because all this extra access is going to negatively impact that flight in a big way. Also as far as SIN and MNL what is the possibility of Delta operating from NRT to HNL, SEA or DTW to continue to feed those two destinations as two of those three would be the most likely to continue to have NRT access..

DL isn't going to be ending any of their existing service to Tokyo, with exception of transferring flights from NRT to HND. Sorry to disappoint you but DL isn't going to fly passengers between DTW-HND and DTW-NRT.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended their inter-Asian service. That's been withering on the vine for a while now.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:56 pm

The power house days of NW in the Pacific are over. DL has been in a constant decline in Asia and all the while UA is taking over the Pacific. They are so far in drivers seat, serious doubt if they can be caught.

No excuses on DL part for allowing this to happen.

klakzky123

Thu May 23, 2019 8:03 pm

727200 wrote:
The power house days of NW in the Pacific are over. DL has been in a constant decline in Asia and all the while UA is taking over the Pacific. They are so far in drivers seat, serious doubt if they can be caught.

They have perfectly reasonable excuses. They tried pretty hard to undercut AA and bailout JAL in exchange for JAL joining Skyteam (and agreeing to a JV). AA managed to convince JAL to stay and matched DL's financial offer.

What was DL supposed to do? They even tried bailing out Skymark at one point. DL lost a game of musical chairs and had no Japanese partner while AA and UA each ended up with a joint venture. It gets tiring to see people act like Delta just didn't care about Tokyo. They tried really hard to make Tokyo work but a fifth freedom hub can't compete with two joint ventures. Delta had to move on and find another option and they finally did with KE. It's unfortunate that the legacy of Northwest is over but the strength of NW's Asia network became irrelevant once planes could overfly Tokyo and airlines could form joint ventures.

jbs2886

Thu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
727200 wrote:

They have perfectly reasonable excuses. They tried pretty hard to undercut AA and bailout JAL in exchange for JAL joining Skyteam (and agreeing to a JV). AA managed to convince JAL to stay and matched DL's financial offer.

What was DL supposed to do? They even tried bailing out Skymark at one point. DL lost a game of musical chairs and had no Japanese partner while AA and UA each ended up with a joint venture. It gets tiring to see people act like Delta just didn't care about Tokyo. They tried really hard to make Tokyo work but a fifth freedom hub can't compete with two joint ventures. Delta had to move on and find another option and they finally did with KE. It's unfortunate that the legacy of Northwest is over but the strength of NW's Asia network became irrelevant once planes could overfly Tokyo and airlines could form joint ventures.

Its also interesting that DL should take substantial losses in order to maintain a market share position, all while considering that UA is hubbed at one of the best TPAC destinations (SFO). Heaven forbid DL give up market share in the pursuit of profitability (for a publicly traded company).

MIflyer12

Thu May 23, 2019 8:28 pm

727200 wrote:

You can take off the rose-colored glasses with the NWA logo. NW didn't start non-stops DTW-PEK or DTW-PVG even though it had the rights. NW had ended JFK-NRT before the merger, and had ended service to SYD. The relevance of the NRT hub has been declining for decades. I'll give you a date for the beginning of the end: Start of CO's non-stop EWR-HKG, March 2001 with a 777-200ER. It showed you didn't need 744s for range, and that you didn't need to connect. DL has just been trying to make the best of a bad situation for a decade.

klm617

Thu May 23, 2019 10:04 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
727200 wrote:

You can take off the rose-colored glasses with the NWA logo. NW didn't start non-stops DTW-PEK or DTW-PVG even though it had the rights. NW had ended JFK-NRT before the merger, and had ended service to SYD. The relevance of the NRT hub has been declining for decades. I'll give you a date for the beginning of the end: Start of CO's non-stop EWR-HKG, March 2001 with a 777-200ER. It showed you didn't need 744s for range, and that you didn't need to connect. DL has just been trying to make the best of a bad situation for a decade.

Check your facts NW operated both DTW-PEK and DTW-SHA

klm617

Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
727200 wrote:

Its also interesting that DL should take substantial losses in order to maintain a market share position, all while considering that UA is hubbed at one of the best TPAC destinations (SFO). Heaven forbid DL give up market share in the pursuit of profitability (for a publicly traded company).

They have no issue doing that in the Boston Market.

n2dru

Thu May 23, 2019 10:18 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
727200 wrote:

Exactly!! The market dynamics have changed and if NW was still around im sure they would have evolved just as DL is doing. DL put up a good fight (looking for a JV partner in Japan) but realized they have to do what they have to do to continue to make money.

jbs2886

Thu May 23, 2019 10:21 pm

klm617 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:

They have no issue doing that in the Boston Market.

And in the SEA market. But those are different calculations and DL clearly decided it was not worth it to take the substantial TPAC losses.

winginit

Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 pm

klm617 wrote:
When you reduce accessibility people will jump ship and DL is no where what it was and isn't even close when it comes to AA/JL and UA/NH. So yes Japan is becoming a weak market for Delta as much of Asia has.

Much of Asia has become weak for Delta? That's certainly interesting given they're now up and running with a JV with Korean... let's look at, I don't know, actual numbers?

Nonstop Capacity between the United States and Asia, Flights / Seats (Year Ending May 2019), OAG:

UA: 26,468 Flights || 6.7M Seats
NH: 10,670 Flights || 2.5M Seats
Combined: 37,138 Flights || 9.2M Seats

DL: 14,149 Flights || 3.7M Seats
KE: 11,412 Flights || 3.7M Seats
Combined: 25,561 Flights || 7.4M Seats

AA: 9,012 Flights || 2.5M Seats
JL: 13,770 Flights || 3.0M Seats
Combined: 22,782 Flights || 5.5M Seats

Your assertions as they relate to broader Asia are, well, wrong.

jayunited

Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 pm

727200 wrote:

There is more to Asia than just NRT. There are two things that have allowed UA to maintain a relative strong hold across the Pacific. First and foremost is our SFO hub and secondly was the merger with CO which gave UA access to 787s far sooner than UA would have ever had without it. My last statement is to meant to be interpreted as me saying DL should have kept NW's 787 order, its just a statement of facts the CO/UA merger gave UA access to an aircraft UA wouldn't have had in our fleet for years. By UA's own admission the 787 has been a game changer for us across the Pacific. DL is now starting to get comparable aircraft like the A359 and A339NEO, I suspect these aircraft will greatly benefit DL in the same way the 787 has benefited UA across the Pacific.

Dismantling their NRT hub wasn't the problem the problem was DL didn't have the right aircraft in their fleet that could efficiently over fly NRT while UA thanks to CO and a merger that happened at just the right time did.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 10:00 pm

jayunited wrote:

There is more to Asia than just NRT. There are two things that have allowed UA to maintain a relative strong hold across the Pacific. First and foremost is our SFO hub and secondly was the merger with CO which gave UA access to 787s far sooner than UA would have ever had without it. My last statement is to meant to be interpreted as me saying DL should have kept NW's 787 order, its just a statement of facts the CO/UA merger gave UA access to an aircraft UA wouldn't have had in our fleet for years. By UA's own admission the 787 has been a game changer for us across the Pacific. DL is now starting to get comparable aircraft like the A359 and A339NEO, I suspect these aircraft will greatly benefit DL in the same way the 787 has benefited UA across the Pacific.

Dismantling their NRT hub wasn't the problem the problem was DL didn't have the right aircraft in their fleet that could efficiently over fly NRT while UA thanks to CO and a merger that happened at just the right time did.

UA Pacific advantage vs DL predates the CO merger.

United long prior overflew NRT on some services (HKG, TPE, SEL, PEK, PVG, etc) and arrival of 777 and their deployment across the Pacific around turn of the century hastened this network advantage even further.

One tidbit to show how much of a drag NRT has been on DL, according to the book Glory Lost and Found, the NRT operation lost money for 8-years running for NW leading up to the merger. The once crown jewel of NW became a very rusty affair at the end.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

tphuang

Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 pm

winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:
When you reduce accessibility people will jump ship and DL is no where what it was and isn't even close when it comes to AA/JL and UA/NH. So yes Japan is becoming a weak market for Delta as much of Asia has.

Much of Asia has become weak for Delta? That's certainly interesting given they're now up and running with a JV with Korean... let's look at, I don't know, actual numbers?

Nonstop Capacity between the United States and Asia, Flights / Seats (Year Ending May 2019), OAG:

These jvs ignore the fact that star alliance have stronger partner airlines in general in Asia. If you are someone that going to Asia from New York or Los Angeles, Delta or akyteam is not an option unless you go to Korea. ke having higher capacity indicates how much connection traffic is routed through there, but the higher yielding direct traffic to the biggest 3 business destinations are Tokyo HK and Singapore. For those, Delta is way behind. Frankly, having a lot of connection traffic through Seoul doesn't make you strong in Asia.

LAXdude1023

Fri May 24, 2019 10:30 pm

tphuang wrote:
winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:

These jvs ignore the fact that star alliance have stronger partner airlines in general in Asia. If you are someone that going to Asia from New York or Los Angeles, Delta or akyteam is not an option unless you go to Korea. ke having higher capacity indicates how much connection traffic is routed through there, but the higher yielding direct traffic to the biggest 3 business destinations are Tokyo HK and Singapore. For those, Delta is way behind. Frankly, having a lot of connection traffic through Seoul doesn't make you strong in Asia.

Thats not true.

DL flies LAX-PVG/HND. MU flies LAX/JFK-PVG and CI flies LAX/JFK-TPE.

winginit

Fri May 24, 2019 10:41 pm

tphuang wrote:
If you are someone that going to Asia from New York or Los Angeles, Delta or akyteam is not an option unless you go to Korea.

What a comically false statement. Did you even glance at a schedule before posting? DL to PVG and TYO from LAX? MU to PVG from JFK? Do better.

tphuang wrote:
ke having higher capacity indicates how much connection traffic is routed through there, but the higher yielding direct traffic to the biggest 3 business destinations are Tokyo HK and Singapore. For those, Delta is way behind. Frankly, having a lot of connection traffic through Seoul doesn't make you strong in Asia.

Then do tell, what metric for Asia strength do you prefer to look at? Because it seems as though having a JV partner established in what is arguably the most effective connecting hub in North Asia is a logical source of strength for an Asian network.

tphuang

Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 pm

winginit wrote:
tphuang wrote:
If you are someone that going to Asia from New York or Los Angeles, Delta or akyteam is not an option unless you go to Korea.

What a comically false statement. Did you even glance at a schedule before posting? DL to PVG and TYO from LAX? MU to PVG from JFK? Do better.

tphuang wrote:
ke having higher capacity indicates how much connection traffic is routed through there, but the higher yielding direct traffic to the biggest 3 business destinations are Tokyo HK and Singapore. For those, Delta is way behind. Frankly, having a lot of connection traffic through Seoul doesn't make you strong in Asia.

Then do tell, what metric for Asia strength do you prefer to look at? Because it seems as though having a JV partner established in what is arguably the most effective connecting hub in North Asia is a logical source of strength for an Asian network.

Right, so you can only point to Shanghai and tokyo. And they are the wekeast to Tokyo. If you aren't going to Shanghai then they are definitely the wekeast.

Alliance partnership matters into this case since that's a big part of how you would collect qualifying miles. It's no secret that star alliance is the strongest in Asia and United is also the strongest on their own metals. Aa on its own metal is quite weak to Asia but it's alliance partners are very convenient to the top business destinations to Asia. Seoul and Shanghai are just not as important of a destination as tokyo, HK or Singapore.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone at big law and Finance firm. Are you more likely to set up other offices in tokyo HK or Singapore or even Sydney or in Seoul and Shanghai where the local currency are not easily transferable out of the country. I don't know of any finance firm setting up big offices in Shanghai or Seoul.

aviationaware

Fri May 24, 2019 11:14 pm

klm617 wrote:
So yes Japan is becoming a weak market for Delta as much of Asia has.

Well Pacific is certainly Delta's weakest region, but the fact that despite that it is still performing almost on par with United's Pacific business, with United being the leader in that region out of the US3, tells you all you need to know.

2018 figures:
Delta Pacific PRASM 10.76 Yield 12.49
American Pacific PRASM 8.22 Yield 10.33
United Pacific PRASM 10.31 Yield 13.00

Delta is by far the best managed airline in the world right now, so chances are what they're doing is the right thing to do.

winginit

Fri May 24, 2019 11:46 pm

tphuang wrote:
winginit wrote:
tphuang wrote:

tphuang wrote:

Right, so you can only point to Shanghai and tokyo. And they are the wekeast to Tokyo. If you aren't going to Shanghai then they are definitely the wekeast.

Yes, I can point to Shanghai and Tokyo - a pretty blatantly obvious refute of your statement that there are no SkyTeam options between LAX/NYC and Asia.

tphuang wrote:
Alliance partnership matters into this case since that's a big part of how you would collect qualifying miles. It's no secret that star alliance is the strongest in Asia and United is also the strongest on their own metals. Aa on its own metal is quite weak to Asia but it's alliance partners are very convenient to the top business destinations to Asia. Seoul and Shanghai are just not as important of a destination as tokyo, HK or Singapore.

I don't disagree with what you've said there, but again, please quantify how you define Asian strength then. Is it only presence in Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Singapore? State your claim and quantify it.

tphuang wrote:
Put yourself in the shoes of someone at big law and Finance firm. Are you more likely to set up other offices in tokyo HK or Singapore or even Sydney or in Seoul and Shanghai where the local currency are not easily transferable out of the country. I don't know of any finance firm setting up big offices in Shanghai or Seoul.

You're aware that Citigroup literally has a tower in Shanghai yes? And JP Morgan Chase has a large office as well not to mention the large consulting firms although they're not purely finance firms. Point taken that a US Bank of Law Firm is more likely to have a larger presence in Singapore or Hong Kong, but don't discount the importance of a Shanghai presence.

andrewying

Sat May 25, 2019 12:15 am

tphuang wrote:
winginit wrote:
tphuang wrote:

tphuang wrote:

What about all the consulting firms that have their greater China HQ in Shanghai, over HK, namely McKinsey. Shall I say more?

YYZORD

Sat May 25, 2019 3:34 am

Any chance for NH to add HND-DEN & HND-EWR with their 6 slots?

aviationaware

Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 am

YYZORD wrote:

Possible, but I'd consider it more likely that NH will follow the trend and shift flights from Narita to Haneda rather than open new ones.

tphuang

Sun May 26, 2019 11:42 am

winginit wrote:
tphuang wrote:
winginit wrote:

Yes, I can point to Shanghai and Tokyo - a pretty blatantly obvious refute of your statement that there are no SkyTeam options between LAX/NYC and Asia.

tphuang wrote:

I don't disagree with what you've said there, but again, please quantify how you define Asian strength then. Is it only presence in Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Singapore? State your claim and quantify it.

tphuang wrote:

You're aware that Citigroup literally has a tower in Shanghai yes? And JP Morgan Chase has a large office as well not to mention the large consulting firms although they're not purely finance firms. Point taken that a US Bank of Law Firm is more likely to have a larger presence in Singapore or Hong Kong, but don't discount the importance of a Shanghai presence.

NYC to TOKYO:
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/m/0 ... 0;sd:1;t:f
3 on UA/ANA and 2 on AA/JL
LAX to TOKYO
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=LAX. ... 0;sd:1;t:f
4 on UA/ANA + 1 on SQ and 3 on AA/JL, 1 on DL
I don't know how you can say their schedule to tokyo is competitive.

LAX to PEK
3 on AC and 1 on AA
NYC to PEK
3 on AC and 1 on UA

NYC to HKG
4 on CX and 1 on UA
LAX to HKG
3 on CX, 1 on AA and 1 on HX

LAX/NYC to SIN
obviously only UA and SQ fly direct to SIN.
But aside from that, if you look up concur and want to avoid chinese airlines, CX has by far the best schedule on 1-stop itineraries.

LAX to ICN
2 on KE and 2 on OZ
NYC to ICN
2 on KE and 1 on OZ

LAX to SYD
2 on DL/VA, 2 on AA/QF, 1 on UA
LAX to MEL
2 on AA/QF, 1 on DL/VA, 1 on UA

UA/*A have direct service everywhere and are only not competitive to HKG. AA vs DL is more of a tossup. Depends on which airport you are targeting. HKG/TYO are larger business market than PVG/ICN though

for other Asian destinations or from non-hub US cities on 1-stop itinerary, if you want to go for cheap, you can fly CA with *A, MU with ST and CZ with AA partner. Out of these, CA requires the least backtracking for connection and CZ requires the most. So CA is actually the best option for VFR travel. If you want to fly a non low fare airline, you can go with AC, ANA for *A. You can go with JL or CX for OW and KE for DL. Of that list, I'd AC/NH is about the same as CL/CX option, but *A also has BR. Both are far ahead of ST with just KE. CI only has 1 flight from NYC/LAX altogether. Not a great option.

So when you list KE having a lot of capacity to US, you have to remember KE is taking most of the connection flow for DL ff. Star alliance ff would be split between more airlines.

If you ever like looked up these itineraries to Asia, you'd see how often AC through YYZ on east coast or YVR on west coast offer the best options. So from non-hub us cities where without direct service to Asia, you are going to find the largest TPAC hubs SFO/YVR on west coast and EWR/YYZ on east coast to all be *A hubs. The gap between UA/*A vs the other 2 are huge. If you are flying to somewhere in Asia other than ICN frequently, DL simply can't be option for you. That's just the reality. ST is just weak in Asia outside of Shanghai and Seoul.

And India, that's another place where *A is far ahead of both ST/OW both through SFO or YVR/YYZ.

Shanghai is simply not where big western banks put their primary TPAC office. They are there to serve the Chinese market, but due to monetary restrictions inside China, you simply can't do more than serve domestic market. It's funny that in other argument, you bring up PRISM, but here you don't discuss the corporate account travel expenses from NYC/LA to Asia market. I'd be shocked if Tokyo isn't top of the list with Hong Kong and Singapore after them.

winginit

Tue May 28, 2019 7:53 pm

tphuang wrote:
It's funny that in other argument, you bring up PRISM, but here you don't discuss the corporate account travel expenses from NYC/LA to Asia market. I'd be shocked if Tokyo isn't top of the list with Hong Kong and Singapore after them.

You underestimate PVG. I'm not going to post numbers so you're free to not believe what I'm saying, but it's TYO by a long-shot, which no one, myself included, has ever denied, followed by PVG then SIN, then HKG.

Ishrion

Thu May 30, 2019 6:44 pm

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0014-0081

Guam objects the allocations, asks for DOT to give UA one HND-Guam slot.

ITSTours

Thu May 30, 2019 7:20 pm

Ishrion wrote:
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2019-0014-0081

I saw it a few days ago but now I'm finally reading it carefully, and they're pretty harsh on the Japanese economy.

"It must be noted that Guam's activity was impacted, due in large part to Japan's economic contraction (and effect on its Yen rate) and its aging population"
"Capacity and demand was severely curtailed by the Japan triple disaster in 2011 with the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear impacts."

Also didn't know the seat capacity between Guam-Japan pre-9/11 was very large. Looking at the US BTS data, in 2000 it was 1.38 million seats one-way. In 2018 (up to November) it's mere 440k.

NRT, however, didn't shrink that much until 2017. But in 2018, DL's exit and UA's downgauging was pretty significant, almost 40% reduction in capacity.

Ishrion

Thu May 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Hawaiian Airlines' objection: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0014-0084

They're mainly talking about how HNL deserves more authority than LAX.

LAXdude1023

Thu May 30, 2019 8:42 pm

YYZORD wrote:

Why would NH ever choose DEN-HND over IAH-HND?

c933103

Fri May 31, 2019 7:04 am

Ishrion wrote:
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2019-0014-0081

It would have make sense for Guam to get Haneda flight as that would match the stated goal of Haneda slot right expansion, which was supposed to enhance connection to short distance destinations.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

jetblastdubai

Fri May 31, 2019 10:47 am

Ishrion wrote:
Hawaiian Airlines' objection: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0014-0084

Not only that but they're bringing up the fact that LAWA (LAX) keeps jerking them around with terminal moves and somehow that should be factored into the DOT's HND award decisions.

"By contrast, in 2017, LAWA forced Hawaiian to move from Terminal 2 to
Terminal 5 to accommodate Delta, promising Hawaiian that it would not need to change terminals
again until a new terminal with a domestic baggage facility was opened. In breach of that promise
and to accommodate American’s growth at Terminal 5, LAWA proposes to compel Hawaiian’s
relocation in 2020 to the MSC"
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

JAMBOJET

Fri May 31, 2019 12:28 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Not only that but they're bringing up the fact that LAWA (LAX) keeps jerking them around with terminal moves and somehow that should be factored into the DOT's HND award decisions.

"By contrast, in 2017, LAWA forced Hawaiian to move from Terminal 2 to
Terminal 5 to accommodate Delta, promising Hawaiian that it would not need to change terminals
again until a new terminal with a domestic baggage facility was opened. In breach of that promise
and to accommodate American’s growth at Terminal 5, LAWA proposes to compel Hawaiian’s
relocation in 2020 to the MSC"

That really is strange to whine about LAWA and MSC rental fees in a DOT Haneda document. What does that have to do with Hawaiian flying to Haneda..? I guess it's just a continuation of the argument that HNL should have more service than LAX, but, to an outsider, it does seem like a "Hey, why does Portland even need Haneda service" would be a better argument than LAX but oh well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos