Delta: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0014-0005

In order of priority:

1. Seattle (SEA) 339
2. Detroit (DTW) 359
3. Atlanta (ATL) 772
4. Portland (PDX) 332
5. Honolulu #1 (HNL) 763
6. Honolulu #2 (HNL) 763

I've included DLs proposed aircraft type for each route. Also of note, p. 37 of the proposal includes the DL's 339 seat map.

I see it on page 57, not 37. But thank you for the info!

LAXintl
Topic Author

Re: US-Japan agree on additional Haneda slots; DOT to allocate

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:49 pm

DL proposed schedule:

DL167 SEA-HND 1200-1430 339
DL166 HND-SEA 1630-1000 339

DL275 DTW-HND 1015-1215 359
DL275 HND-DTW 1415-1315 359

DL295 ATL-HND 1100-1415 777
DL296 HND-ATL 1645-1615 777

DL69 PDX-HND 1415-1700 332
DL68 HND-PDX 1845-1200 332

DL181 HNL-HND 1300-1700 763
DL180 HND-HNL 1900-0745 763

DL577 HNL-HND 1130-1530 763
DL675 HND-HNL 1800-0645 763

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

KMCOFlyer

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:52 pm

winstonavgeek wrote:
Here is my prediction for the US carriers

AA:
DFW-HND (One of them IDK)
LAX-HND
LAS-HND

UA:
EWR-HND
IAD-HND
ORD-HND
DL:
SEA-HND
DTW-HND
ATL-HND
PDX-HND

HL:
HNL-HND(One of them)

Last slot:
DL: HND-HNL or UA: LAX-HND

I feel that DL would get a HND-HNL slot before HA receives another one due to the added competition. Other than that, I agree with this list.

kavok

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:53 pm

My prediction:
I think there are 10 “Locks”:
AA: DFW#1, LAX.
DL: SEA,DTW,ATL,PDX.
HA: HNL#1
UA: EWR, ORD, IAD

I don’t think anyone gets all their choices, so that eliminates the stated “last choices” of:
AA to LAS, DL to HNL#2, HA to HNL#3, UA to IAH,GUM

Which leaves the final 2 slots up for grabs between:
AA: DFW#2, DL: HNL#1, HA: HNL#2, UA: LAX

Ishrion

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:04 am

Prost wrote:
OA412 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Delta: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0014-0005

In order of priority:

1. Seattle (SEA) 339
2. Detroit (DTW) 359
3. Atlanta (ATL) 772
4. Portland (PDX) 332
5. Honolulu #1 (HNL) 763
6. Honolulu #2 (HNL) 763

I've included DLs proposed aircraft type for each route. Also of note, p. 37 of the proposal includes the DL's 339 seat map.

I see it on page 57, not 37. But thank you for the info!

It's page 57 on the entire doc but it's 37 at the bottom right of the page

HeeseokKoo

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:06 am

kavok wrote:
In total, 50 new slots are being created at HND airport for 2020. Of the 50, half are going to Japanese (x13) and US (x12) carriers. Information per link below.

It sounds like the US government agreeing to allow some flight paths over US military air space will help with Tokyo airspace congestion issues, and that such a concession was probably a major factor as to why the US-routes are getting such a significant portion of the 50 slots.

https://www.airport-technology.com/news ... -airlines/

Interesting article that explains why US got a lot of slots this time. While title says 25 new slots to the US, context says Japanese and US sides are getting 12 each.

FA9295

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:09 am

Here are my predictions:

American: 3 slots
DFW-HND (1x)
LAX-HND (1x)
LAS-HND (1x)

- Somehow I doubt that the DoT would award AA with two DFW-HND frequencies. Even though they already have an existing LAX-HND flight, that route probably has one of the highest demands between the U.S. and HND.

Delta: 4 slots
SEA-HND (1x)
DTW-HND (1x)
ATL-HND (1x)
PDX-HND (1x)

- I honestly cannot see Delta getting any of the 2 HNL routes that they applied for. If Delta wants to continue operating HNL-TYO, I think the DoT would pressure them into continuing to operate that flight from NRT (if at all).

Hawaiian: 2 slots
HND-HNL (2x) (application was for 3x)

- Given Hawaiian's already existing 11x weekly HNL- HND schedule (along with 3x weekly KOA-HND), I don't see them getting any more than 2 additional flights on HNL-HND, which seems very generous on it's own merit to be honest.

United: 3 slots
EWR-HND (1x)
IAD-HND (1x)
IAH-HND (1x)

- Since NH already flies HND-ORD and HND-LAX, I don't think the DoT would award UA with these routes. As for Guam, I think that is a sufficient route that can be flown through NRT, similarly to DL's HNL route.

jrkmsp

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am

pnwpdx wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
When do we find out which proposals are awarded?

First post states:

Procedural Timetable:
Petitions for Reconsideration February 14
Answers to Petitions February 19
Applications February 21
Answers February 28
Replies March 7

I expect awards sometime in early April.

osupoke07

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:16 am

But most significantly, United’s U.S. point-of-sale passengers traveling to Tokyo have a demonstrated preference for flying to Haneda. United consumers’ preference for Haneda is evident from examining what happened when United switched one of its two daily San FranciscoNarita flights to San Francisco-Haneda in 2014. By 2018, almost 57% of United’s U.S. point-ofsale San Francisco-Tokyo passengers elected to fly to Haneda. Moreover, United’s average nonstop yield between San Francisco and Haneda is 12% higher than San Francisco-Narita yields – demonstrating the higher value its passengers place on access to Haneda. (See Figure 4) In addition, following the introduction of United’s San Francisco-Haneda service, there was a substantial reduction in Narita-Haneda ground connections, and a dramatic increase in the number of passengers traveling to points in Japan beyond Tokyo.

Interesting bit from the United application
MD82, MD83, MD88, B717, B732, B733, B735, B737, B738, B739, B752, B763, B77W, CR2, CR7, CR9, A320, A321

SurfandSnow

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:17 am

Well, it certainly looks as though neither AA nor DL have any intention of staying at NRT. I wonder if HA has any interest in adding service to NRT, what with all the additional slots coming available there?

To recap, the HND applications are:

American Airlines:
1st choice: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW), operated by the 777-200
2nd choice: Los Angeles, CA (LAX) westbound redeye service, operated by the 787-8
3rd choice: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) secondary frequency, also operated by the 777-200
4th choice: Las Vegas, NV (LAS), operated by the 787-8

Delta Air Lines:
1st choice: Seattle/Tacoma, WA (SEA), operated by the A330-900neo
2nd choice: Detroit, MI (DTW), operated by the A350-900
3rd choice: Atlanta, GA (ATL), operated by the 777-200
4th choice: Portland, OR (PDX), operated by the A330-200
5th choice: Honolulu, HI (HNL), operated by the 767-300
6th choice: Honolulu, HI (HNL) secondary frequency, also operated by the 767-300

Hawaiian Airlines:
3 additional daily HNL-HND frequencies (operated by A330-200 for now; 787-9s begin arriving in 2021)

United Airlines:
1st choice: Newark, NJ (EWR), Chicago, IL (ORD) and Washington, DC (IAD) - all operated by the 777
2nd choice: Los Angeles, CA (LAX), operated by the 787-10
3rd choice: Houston, TX (IAH) and Guam (GUM) - both operated by the 777

No major surprises here, what with AA already having operated nonstop between Las Vegas and Tokyo (NRT) in lieu of its longstanding ORD-NRT service for this year's CES show. I can only assume that AA's transpacific operations from ORD have been such a disaster that the airline would rather just let its oneworld alliance codeshare partners CX and JL handle all of the flying to Asia from the Chicago hub. Also not a good sign for hubs like MIA, PHL and PHX that may be hoping to get service to East Asia - though I guess it's always possible JL may want to serve those markets from HND or NRT with AA codeshare...

DL and UA both offer pretty compelling proposals across the board. DL's past track record on DTW/SEA-HND shouldn't be a consideration given the horrendous times those services had to operate at, and its lack of Japanese partner may work in its favor. Interesting that HA did not propose to bring HND-KOA to daily, and simply wants to serve its HNL hub.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

LondonXtreme

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 am

FA9295 wrote:
Here are my predictions:

DFW-HND (1x)
LAX-HND (1x)
LAS-HND (1x)

- Somehow I doubt that the DoT would award AA with two DFW-HND frequencies. Even though they already have an existing LAX-HND flight, that route probably has one of the highest demands between the U.S. and HND.

SEA-HND (1x)
DTW-HND (1x)
ATL-HND (1x)
PDX-HND (1x)

- I honestly cannot see Delta getting any of the 2 HNL routes that they applied for. If Delta wants to continue operating HNL-TYO, I think the DoT would pressure them into continuing to operate that flight from NRT (if at all).

- Given Hawaiian's already existing 11x weekly HNL- HND schedule (along with 3x weekly KOA-HND), I don't see them getting any more than 2 additional flights on HNL-HND, which seems very generous on it's own merit to be honest.

EWR-HND (1x)
IAD-HND (1x)
IAH-HND (1x)

- Since NH already flies HND-ORD and HND-LAX, I don't think the DoT would award UA with these routes. As for Guam, I think that is a sufficient route that can be flown through NRT, similarly to DL's HNL route.

Reasonable.
But I don't think DOT will award HA 2 slots, maybe 1 slot is enough for HA to have a total of 2-3 daily HND-HNL afterwards. So, I will bet a UA's 2nd HND-LAX over HA's 2nd HND-HNL

FSDan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Delta: https://twitter.com/airlinefilings/stat ... 2545580032

Haneda-Seattle; Haneda-Detroit; Haneda-Atlanta; Haneda-Portland; Haneda-Honolulu

This amounts to moving the current NRT operation to HND in full. It's worth noting that they applied for 2 HNL-HND frequencies, so they do seem committed to serving HNL-Japan at least for the time being. I'd expect them to get 5 of their 6 requested frequencies (all but the 2nd HNL-HND frequency, which should go to HA if anyone).

This also seems to affirm that DL has 0 interest in serving NYC-Asia with their own metal for the foreseeable future, as this would have been the time to apply for JFK-HND if they wanted to get a foot back in the door. Not too surprising, if a little disappointing.

Based on the applications, these are the awards I'd personally like to see:
AA LAX-HND #2
AA LAS-HND
AA DFW-HND #1
AA DFW-HND #2
UA IAD-HND
UA EWR-HND
DL SEA-HND
DL PDX-HND
DL DTW-HND
DL ATL-HND
DL HNL-HND #1
HA HNL-HND #1

This spreads the love around between alliances a bit, and allows DL and AA to pull their own metal out of NRT and simplify their TYO ops. NH could pretty easily fill in the rest of UA's requests with the likely 7 frequencies they'll get awarded.

I don’t think there’s anyway DL gets that many awards.

I think they’ll get SEA and DTW. UA will get EWR and IAD. AA will certainly get DFW.

My feeling is that there's at least a 50% chance that DL gets either 5 or all 6 of their requests. They went to significant lengths in their application to highlight the competitive dynamics between DL and the JVs, including the flexibility the JVs have through their Japanese partners to move gateways around as demand warrants while DL is nailed down to their gateways. If the DOT considers these aspects of the competitive landscape (which I believe they should, like they did last time), DL has a good chance of winning most or all of their requested frequencies.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

kavok

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 am

General Question:
Each of the carriers has submitted a preferential order. What are the chances the DOT would “skip” a choice and award another route further down the list for that carrier?

For example, if the DOT preferred UA’s 5th choice of IAH over their 4th choice of LAX, would they actually choose to award UA the IAH, route but not LAX? Similar question about AA’s bids of DFW#2 (third choice) vs LAS (fourth choice).

303dk

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:43 am

FA9295 wrote:
C010T3 wrote:
I really admire United's conduct in its applications before the DOT. They really only go for what they see as feasible economically, but also in terms of a fair proceeding, not resorting to going for the most strategic gateways to win the most allocations. For example, if they went for DEN-HND, it would have been a slam dunk, considering how the DOT likes to spread the love, but is behind in terms of priority within its own network.

So if UA decides to transfer all of these NRT flights over to HND, the only NRT flight left for them would be DEN?

Nope. Still want DEN, EWR, GUM, LAX to NRT

FA9295

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:50 am

LondonXtreme wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Here are my predictions:

DFW-HND (1x)
LAX-HND (1x)
LAS-HND (1x)

SEA-HND (1x)
DTW-HND (1x)
ATL-HND (1x)
PDX-HND (1x)

EWR-HND (1x)
IAD-HND (1x)
IAH-HND (1x)

Reasonable.
But I don't think DOT will award HA 2 slots, maybe 1 slot is enough for HA to have a total of 2-3 daily HND-HNL afterwards. So, I will bet a UA's 2nd HND-LAX over HA's 2nd HND-HNL

That's a fair point.

Although I think HND-HNL actually does have a higher demand than HND-LAX does. Per Hawaiian's application filing (on page 10): "Hawaii has 51% more Tokyo passengers than California with two fewer HND designations". Even though that statement specifically refers to the entire state of California, I think it's pretty safe to assume that UA would significantly benefit from connecting flights from all across the state if they were to be awarded LAX-HND.

Also, UA basically has LAX-HND covered already with NH's already existing LAX-HND flight; and maybe NH will apply to add another LAX-HND flight when the Japanese airlines submit their applications.

Finally, if HA was only awarded 1 slot while AA was awarded 3 and DL/UA were both awarded 4, that would seem fairly lopsided. I think the DoT's best interest is to keep the number of slot allocations that each airline earns as fair as they can, while benefiting the consumers/general public as much as they can.

splitterz

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:54 am

FSDan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

This amounts to moving the current NRT operation to HND in full. It's worth noting that they applied for 2 HNL-HND frequencies, so they do seem committed to serving HNL-Japan at least for the time being. I'd expect them to get 5 of their 6 requested frequencies (all but the 2nd HNL-HND frequency, which should go to HA if anyone).

This also seems to affirm that DL has 0 interest in serving NYC-Asia with their own metal for the foreseeable future, as this would have been the time to apply for JFK-HND if they wanted to get a foot back in the door. Not too surprising, if a little disappointing.

Based on the applications, these are the awards I'd personally like to see:
AA LAX-HND #2
AA LAS-HND
AA DFW-HND #1
AA DFW-HND #2
UA IAD-HND
UA EWR-HND
DL SEA-HND
DL PDX-HND
DL DTW-HND
DL ATL-HND
DL HNL-HND #1
HA HNL-HND #1

This spreads the love around between alliances a bit, and allows DL and AA to pull their own metal out of NRT and simplify their TYO ops. NH could pretty easily fill in the rest of UA's requests with the likely 7 frequencies they'll get awarded.

I think they’ll get SEA and DTW. UA will get EWR and IAD. AA will certainly get DFW.

My feeling is that there's at least a 50% chance that DL gets either 5 or all 6 of their requests. They went to significant lengths in their application to highlight the competitive dynamics between DL and the JVs, including the flexibility the JVs have through their Japanese partners to move gateways around as demand warrants while DL is nailed down to their gateways. If the DOT considers these aspects of the competitive landscape (which I believe they should, like they did last time), DL has a good chance of winning most or all of their requested frequencies.

I think you’re pretty far off. No way they get all of them. Their cry about the JV AA and UA enjoy is no different then their own JV with KE to ICN.

IMO no more HNL segments are needed. It’s much better for the traveling public as a whole for mainland requests granted.

LondonXtreme

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:00 am

FA9295 wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Here are my predictions:

DFW-HND (1x)
LAX-HND (1x)
LAS-HND (1x)

SEA-HND (1x)
DTW-HND (1x)
ATL-HND (1x)
PDX-HND (1x)

EWR-HND (1x)
IAD-HND (1x)
IAH-HND (1x)

Reasonable.

That's a fair point.

Although I think HND-HNL actually does have a higher demand than HND-LAX does. Per Hawaiian's application filing (on page 10): "Hawaii has 51% more Tokyo passengers than California with two fewer HND designations". Even though that statement specifically refers to the entire state of California, I think it's pretty safe to assume that UA would significantly benefit from connecting flights from all across the state if they were to be awarded LAX-HND.

Also, UA basically has LAX-HND covered already with NH's already existing LAX-HND flight; and maybe NH will apply to add another LAX-HND flight when the Japanese airlines submit their applications.

Finally, if HA was only awarded 1 slot while AA was awarded 3 and DL/UA were both awarded 4, that would seem fairly lopsided. I think the DoT's best interest is to keep the number of slot allocations that each airline earns as fair as they can, while benefiting the consumers/general public as much as they can.

HNL is a leisure market. The majority of Japan-Hawaii traffic should be route via NRT because the HND slots are limited and valuable. With Japanese carriers will have 12-13 new slots, so I guess JL may restart HNL-HND as a JV with HA. Also, I am very curious to figure out how JL and NH arrange new HND slots.

FSDan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 am

splitterz wrote:
FSDan wrote:

I think you’re pretty far off. No way they get all of them. Their cry about the JV AA and UA enjoy is no different then their own JV with KE to ICN.

Since when is ICN restricted such that airlines need special government approval to start additional service there? As far as I'm aware, AA and UA could add flights to ICN from every one of their U.S. gateways if they felt like it. Not the case at HND. If DL want's to compete with AA and UA to TYO, they need to get access through proceedings like this one.

We'll see how far off I am in a week. Do remember that last time around, the DOT placed a very high emphasis on spreading the frequencies out between the JVs and DL/HA, and DL made sure to play that up again in their application this time. I think the only scenario where DL would possibly get fewer than 5 awards is if the DOT highly de-prioritizes Hawai'i services.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Sightseer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:24 am

splitterz wrote:
FSDan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

It is quite different. When was the last route proceeding for slots at any Seoul airport?

tkoenig95

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:50 am

Since the moderators thinks its so incredibly smart to move the IAH conversation over here I will ask the question again: What is the connections benefit UA will have moving the IAH route from NRT to HND? UA and NH rely on a good chunk of connection traffic between the two and it would be great to see more intra-Japan possibilities .

enilria

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:51 am

LAXintl wrote:
DL proposed schedule:

=

So, I get that they fly PDX-NRT now, but without a hub on either end PDX-HND is a disaster. No idea why that's in there. HNL-HND is likely also chaff. That made sense with a hub in NRT, but it makes little sense without a hub in Tokyo. Clearly they would close NRT completely.

Also kinda surprised PDX is a better choice than their hubs in SLC or JFK. Perhaps because they failed at it before? But they tried some of those other before as well.

jbs2886

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:02 am

enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
DL proposed schedule:

=

So, I get that they fly PDX-NRT now, but without a hub on either end PDX-HND is a disaster. No idea why that's in there. HNL-HND is likely also chaff. That made sense with a hub in NRT, but it makes little sense without a hub in Tokyo. Clearly they would close NRT completely.

Also kinda surprised PDX is a better choice than their hubs in SLC or JFK. Perhaps because they failed at it before? But they tried some of those other before as well.

Or perhaps there are significant corporate contracts? Its why IND-CDG; RDU-LHR; etc. work. Honestly, I'm sure DL has a better of idea of what it can do than you - especially when you say it would be a "disaster". And how would HNL-HND be a problem, look at the presentations, HNL-Tokyo is the second largest US-Japan route, DL won't have problems filling up a 767-300ER.

obelau24

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:04 am

According to the press release Delta sent out, the B767-300ER is “currently being retrofitted with a new cabin interior and inflight entertainment system.” That’s the first I heard of a -300 refurbishment; is this new? Does anyone have any details about what a new cabin interior means?

nomorerjs

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 am

What about JL and NH predictions? These could be impacted by what AA / UA receive.

JL:
BOS
DFW (AA will get 1 for sure)
ORD (AA will probably drop NRT)
CLT / MIA / PHX / PHL (tie into AA hubs)
AUS (I’m reaching)

NH:
BOS
DEN (UA didn’t apply)
IAD / IAH / ORD (depending on UA)
LAX
SEA

tkoenig95

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:14 am

nomorerjs wrote:
What about JL and NH predictions? These could be impacted by what AA / UA receive.

JL:
BOS
AUS (I’m reaching)

NH:
BOS
DEN (UA didn’t apply)
LAX
SEA

Did NH and JL announce their slot allocation applications?

KMCOFlyer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:15 am

enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
DL proposed schedule:

=

What do you mean by “no hub on either end,” there is no hub on either end today.The only connections that PDX-NRT coustomers can currently take is to MNL or SIN so most of the traffic is already O&D based and performs quite well with the corporate contracts it get from the route.

nomorerjs

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:20 am

tkoenig95 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:

JL:
BOS
AUS (I’m reaching)

NH:
BOS
DEN (UA didn’t apply)
LAX
SEA

I believe JL / NH are each given a number of slots and they pick the cities.

Midwestindy

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:36 am

enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
DL proposed schedule:

=

PDX-NRT is 169 PDEW as of 2018
Last edited by Midwestindy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

eamondzhang

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:36 am

nomorerjs wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

I believe JL / NH are each given a number of slots and they pick the cities.

Spot on, they don't allocate per city and no applications like DOT has. They just go straight to announce flights for sale.

Michael

FlyHPN

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:48 am

winstonavgeek wrote:

AA:
LAX-HND
LAS-HND

UA:
EWR-HND
IAD-HND
ORD-HND
DL:
SEA-HND
DTW-HND
ATL-HND
PDX-HND

HL:
HNL-HND(One of them)

Last slot:

This is along the lines of what I was thinking also. This way you'd only end up with one new flight per city with the exception of HNL/LAX.

klm617

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:55 am

So with all the extra HND slots opening up for the Japanese carriers does anyone see NH or JL starting DTW-HND ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

kavok

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:55 am

nomorerjs wrote:

JL:
BOS
AUS (I’m reaching)

NH:
BOS
DEN (UA didn’t apply)
LAX
SEA

I imagine a few of the Japanese routes may still go to Hawaii, even though much of those flows will still remain at NRT.

jrkmsp

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:57 am

FlyHPN wrote:
winstonavgeek wrote:

AA:
LAX-HND
LAS-HND

UA:
EWR-HND
IAD-HND
ORD-HND
DL:
SEA-HND
DTW-HND
ATL-HND
PDX-HND

HL:
HNL-HND(One of them)

Last slot:

This is along the lines of what I was thinking also. This way you'd only end up with one new flight per city with the exception of HNL/LAX.

This seems like the most likely distribution to me as well, with Delta HND-HNL being slot 12.

Dieuwer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:00 am

Any predictions RE: fares? I can imagine that with the HUGE amount of capacity suddenly being thrown at HND, fares will crater.

kavok

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:01 am

klm617 wrote:
So with all the extra HND slots opening up for the Japanese carriers does anyone see NH or JL starting DTW-HND ?

No. There is obviously no connecting partner (AA or UA) on the DTW side, so it would have to rely entirely on DTW O/D... which is strong, but not that strong.

From a pure O/D perspective (excluding connecting traffic), Tokyo-DTW O/D is almost exactly the same size as Tokyo-PDX's O/D. I use that comparison because TYO-PDX is a route that runs basically on pure O/D. Anyway, for that sized O/D, there is enough of a market for one flight to work profitably, but not two. Note also that DL uses lower capacity aircraft on the PDX route, because it can fill the A350 with traffic connecting in DTW. Factor in the advantages DL has with Detroit based pax, and there is basically no chance NH or JL would challenge them.
Last edited by kavok on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sydscott

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:04 am

splitterz wrote:
FSDan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

IMO no more HNL segments are needed. It’s much better for the traveling public as a whole for mainland requests granted.

From the applications I tend to think it should be a fairly straight forward 5-4-3 split with:

- DL getting SEA / DTW / ATL / PDX / HNL
- AA getting DFW / LAX / DFW / LAS
- UA getting EWR / ORD / IAD

Geographically that spreads out the awards and covers all areas of the Continental US, it gives DL the most awards to preserve competition and by granting DL HNL rights it introduces competition into the HNL market for HA which is probably a better consumer benefit than giving HA another slot pair.

That means in overall terms that post award you would have the following US carrier frequency at HND:

- DL LAX / MSP / SEA / DTW / ATL / PDX / HNL - 7 daily flights
- AA LAX x 2 / DFW x 2 / LAS - 5 daily flights
- UA SFO / EWR / ORD / IAD - 4 daily flights
- HA HNL / HNL or KOA - 2 daily flights

Total of 18 daily flights which basically covers off virtually all the major inter-continental connecting hubs that US airlines use for Asia flying while perserving P2P Japan routes like PDX.

nomorerjs

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:11 am

Sydscott wrote:
splitterz wrote:
FSDan wrote:

From the applications I tend to think it should be a fairly straight forward 5-4-3 split with:

- DL getting SEA / DTW / ATL / PDX / HNL
- AA getting DFW / LAX / DFW / LAS
- UA getting EWR / ORD / IAD

Geographically that spreads out the awards and covers all areas of the Continental US, it gives DL the most awards to preserve competition and by granting DL HNL rights it introduces competition into the HNL market for HA which is probably a better consumer benefit than giving HA another slot pair.

That means in overall terms that post award you would have the following US carrier frequency at HND:

- DL LAX / MSP / SEA / DTW / ATL / PDX / HNL - 7 daily flights
- AA LAX x 2 / DFW x 2 / LAS - 5 daily flights
- UA SFO / EWR / ORD / IAD - 4 daily flights
- HA HNL / HNL or KOA - 2 daily flights

Total of 18 daily flights which basically covers off virtually all the major inter-continental connecting hubs that US airlines use for Asia flying while perserving P2P Japan routes like PDX.

I don’t see AA getting 2x DFW. No way DOT would do that with all of the other applications. AA will get one DFW and JL will move their NRT-DFW to HND.

AA didn’t apply for ORD-HND as JL will do this and AA will likely drop their pathetic 3x weekly ORD-NRT. JL will have daily ORD-NRT/HND, probably on a schedule similar to what NH does today.

nomorerjs

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:14 am

klm617 wrote:

Don’t hold your breath. DTW is a DL mega hub and JL and NH are tied to AA and UA. Also, DL is a lock for DTW-HND.

Long shot, JL or NH to NRT, but slim chance.

LAXdude1023

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:19 am

Midwestindy wrote:
enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
DL proposed schedule:

=

PDX-NRT is 169 PDEW as of 2018

I question that’s true. That would make it the 5th largest US-Japan market. Are you sure that isn’t the total market?
Religion is the root of evil...

Fargo

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:19 am

Why is AA applying for LAS-HND as opposed to just having JL run the route? Would make much more sense. Seems kind of an insult to PHX if you ask me.

grbauc

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:26 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
Well, it certainly looks as though neither AA nor DL have any intention of staying at NRT. I wonder if HA has any interest in adding service to NRT, what with all the additional slots coming available there?

No major surprises here, what with AA already having operated nonstop between Las Vegas and Tokyo (NRT) in lieu of its longstanding ORD-NRT service for this year's CES show. I can only assume that AA's transpacific operations from ORD have been such a disaster that the airline would rather just let its oneworld alliance codeshare partners CX and JL handle all of the flying to Asia from the Chicago hub. Also not a good sign for hubs like MIA, PHL and PHX that may be hoping to get service to East Asia - though I guess it's always possible JL may want to serve those markets from HND or NRT with AA codeshare...

PHX doesn't need it. It's not that kind of hub. MIA ummm its a long flight maybe some day(not sure the traffic is there). PHL will happen sooner then later.

The dismantling of non hub flying makes this LAS a surprise to me. I miss the old HP LAS hub. I wish HP/US would of kept a focus city there. The RED eye bank was a site to see. I love and miss the CLUB STAFF. I know the terminals were not up to par. A small focus city would of been nice. UA and DL have filled in the void of course WN has kept doing its thing also.

steex

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:26 am

Fargo wrote:
Why is AA applying for LAS-HND as opposed to just having JL run the route? Would make much more sense. Seems kind of an insult to PHX if you ask me.

I'm guessing it's because LAS has endless demand and is viewed as more of a sure thing. Since US carriers don't have flexibility, they're likely stuck with anything they win long-term. JL, on the other hand, will have flexibility - they could start PHX and move the flight elsewhere if the JV is not satisfied with the performance.

UALifer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:29 am

nomorerjs wrote:

JL:
BOS
AUS (I’m reaching)

NH:
BOS
DEN (UA didn’t apply)
LAX
SEA

NH must be looking to add SFO-HND. Very surprising they don’t already fly it. Maybe no gates?

MAH4546

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:38 am

nomorerjs wrote:

JL:
BOS
AUS (I’m reaching)

NH:
BOS
DEN (UA didn’t apply)
LAX
SEA

There is no application process for Japanese carriers. Japanese government will allocate X slots to NH and Y slots to JL. NH and JL then do whatever they want with them.
a.

UA857

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:46 am

Has DL planned what routes to add to HND?

codc10

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:00 am

Fargo wrote:

AA higher-density 788 is probably a better fit for a more leisure-oriented market.

grbauc

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:28 am

FSDan wrote:
splitterz wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Since when is ICN restricted such that airlines need special government approval to start additional service there? As far as I'm aware, AA and UA could add flights to ICN from every one of their U.S. gateways if they felt like it. Not the case at HND. If DL want's to compete with AA and UA to TYO, they need to get access through proceedings like this one.

We'll see how far off I am in a week. Do remember that last time around, the DOT placed a very high emphasis on spreading the frequencies out between the JVs and DL/HA, and DL made sure to play that up again in their application this time. I think the only scenario where DL would possibly get fewer than 5 awards is if the DOT highly de-prioritizes Hawai'i services.

5 wow really? ok i guess we'll see.

jayunited

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:40 am

codc10 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

AA higher-density 788 is probably a better fit for a more leisure-oriented market.

But AA's own press release seems to suggest the majority of this market is Japanese tourist visiting Las Vegas. Out of all the applications this one in my opinion is the most interesting because it seems like AA wants this slot to benefit JL so JL doesn't have to devote an less dense aircraft to this route. What will be equally as interesting is if the DOT does not award AA LAS-NRT will JL then devote one of their slots to this route or will AA/JL let the route go unserved?

I can see both DL and UA objecting to AA's LAS-NRT-LAS route outside of CES which bring in a lot of business travelers I could see DL and UA make the argument that the tourist can continue to connect to LAS via LAX as they do today on AA or AA could just fly LAS-NRT. I wonder how serious One World and AA in particular is about this route are they serious enough that if they don't get HND and if JL decides not to commence the route on their metal would AA then consider operating LAS-NRT on a year around basis and not just during CES.
Last edited by jayunited on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

grbauc

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:43 am

Fargo wrote:

Phoenix doesn't need it. HND is covered well by LAX or DFW. I believe OD and the Japan OD side makes LAS a much better option. PHX is a great mid sized connection hub in the southwest, it doesn't need to be a international connection hub competing with DFW / LAX for traffic killing yields. Until PHX locally gets enough business draw and OD the hub is a perfect mid sized connecting hub for the lower western US and midwest. If AA didn't have LAX I'd say heck yea to PHX/NRT or HND.
I think PHL will be next to get a flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos