rainaviation2
Topic Author

Sun Country: New PDX Pilot Base by July

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:55 pm

Sun Country plans to open a new Pilot base in Portland, OR this July. They just need to get approval from the ALPA, which represents SY pilots. Sun Country already has plans to open a Flight Attendant base at PDX in March with 38 FA's.

What does this mean for the SY focus city in Portland. They are obviously in this for the long haul if they want to hire pilots there. Time will only tell!

http://www.startribune.com/sun-country- ... 505519182/

FA9295

Re: Sun Country: New PDX Pilot Base by July

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:42 am

Great news, and I knew they would eventually...

What I find interesting is that they chose PDX as their first "outside of MSP" pilot base. I hope they continue to positively grow in Portland, even giving Alaska a run for their money... They're clearly targeting high(er) demand routes that Alaska doesn't fly, such as PDX-BNA/SAT/STL, as well as popular routes from PDX such as HNL, LAS, PHX, PSP, SFO, etc.--both are a good mix for a strong route network operation at PDX.

hiflyeras

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:46 am

Sounds like AS needs to step up their game in PDX...they've always felt like they play second-fiddle to SEA. True to a point but SEA is their main hub. They HAVE tried routes out of PDX and they don't always stick. It'll be interesting to see what SY can make work that AS didn't.

FA9295

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am

hiflyeras wrote:
Sounds like AS needs to step up their game in PDX...

They won't. At least, not until SY's operation starts to negatively affect AS's. With SY's tendency to schedule most of their routes anywhere from 2x to 4x weekly, AS has absolutely nothing to worry about. At least not yet.

What would ultimately need to happen is that they would need to significantly grow their overall fleet size (by significant, I mean literally doubling or tripling their current fleet size). Obviously that would take many years if not a decade, but until they can start adding multiple flights a day on high-demand routes like PDX-LAX/SAN/SFO, etc. then Alaska won't really be effected by them at all. SY's PDX-SFO flight is currently at 2x weekly, going to 4x weekly this summer, which is a grain of sand in comparison to AS/UA 20 daily flights combined. They were already ran off of PDX-MCO (unless SY announces the return of that route soon), and Alaska only flies once a day on that route (albeit, a much longer and thinner route).

hiflyeras

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 am

Thanks, FA9295...I didn't realize that they flew such a meager schedule. For now anyway! ;)

lhpdx

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:14 am

Awesome news for PDX!! I wonder what other cities they're considering adding out of Portland?

ANA787

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:17 am

I think we will continue to see SY try a number of unserved routes from PDX . PDX-MIA/TPA/MSY/IND/PIT/CLE/CMH/RDU/MKE come to mind. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see them try PDX-CUN/PVR/SJD in the winter months.

FA9295

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 am

ANA787 wrote:
I think we will continue to see SY try a number of unserved routes from PDX . PDX-MIA/TPA/MSY/IND/PIT/CLE/CMH/RDU/MKE come to mind. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see them try PDX-CUN/PVR/SJD in the winter months.

PDX-MIA/TPA seem like perfect SY routes. However, I think they would need to try PDX-MCO again before they attempt any new Florida destinations. PDX-MSY also seems like a good fit for them.

PDX-CUN is also long overdue. Maybe SY would be the one to start that route as well...

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:27 am

^^

Didn't they do or try a MCO-PDX route?

But yes I agree, PDX-TPA and MSY seem like natural fits.

FA9295

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:31 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

Yes they did. 3x weekly summer seasonal, started in June and ended in August.
With that being said, that route was initially announced in March of last year, so there's still a chance that they could add it once again this year when March rolls around...

sunking737

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 am

I thought they had a crew base in DFW.. Lots of flight out of DFW.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 am

FA9295 wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

Yes they did. 3x weekly summer seasonal, started in June and ended in August.
With that being said, that route was initially announced in March of last year, so there's still a chance that they could add it once again this year when March rolls around...

Does anyone know how this route did for SY? And going up against AS no less.

TPA would have no competition, another factor.

rainaviation2
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:27 am

sunking737 wrote:
I thought they had a crew base in DFW.. Lots of flight out of DFW.

Nope, they have a Flight Attendant base in DFW. Pilots for SY do 4-6 day trips for flights in and out of DFW. I know a SY pilot that has flown MSP-DFW on American Airlines in the winter so he could fly some SY routes based in DFW, I always thought that DFW would be their first out of MSP pilot base but with the recent building of a focus city in PDX, this doesn't surprise me.

rainaviation2
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:34 am

lhpdx wrote:
Awesome news for PDX!! I wonder what other cities they're considering adding out of Portland?

SY is adding 5 more aircraft to their fleet this year. Who knows what they plan to do with those planes (Bricker said the 19 new summer routes are not contingent on getting those 5 planes) but I doubt that they would add too many more destinations this year out of PDX, maybe 2-4 more winter seasonal routes to Mexico and Florida. That way they do not overflood the market and get in over their heads. Then again, if you told me that SY would be flying to this many destinations out of PDX and BNA a year ago I would have laughed.

gunsontheroof

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 am

Interesting news, I was wondering if they were going to take a swing at PDX as a base, looks like they might be going for it. I don't know a whole lot about SY, but I think they could make this work if they target the larger markets that AS is reluctant to dedicate resources to on a non-daily basis (not necessarily due to lack of demand but rather, their fleet limitations). This could be a solid focus city op if they play their cards right.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

jbpdx

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:07 am

Sun Country is filling the vacuum that exists because Spirit and Frontier have decided to be all but nonexistent at PDX, and because of Southwest’s reluctance to pick up unserved routes, and because of Alaska being distracted by the VX acquisition. (Could Alaska risk alienating its second-largest Mileage Plan passenger base?) I doubt SY does MCO again. They’ll probably add MSY and TPA first.
Major airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU, CMH

n7371f

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 am

Right on.

jbpdx wrote:
Sun Country is filling the vacuum that exists because Spirit and Frontier have decided to be all but nonexistent at PDX, and because of Southwest’s reluctance to pick up unserved routes, and because of Alaska being distracted by the VX acquisition. (Could Alaska risk alienating its second-largest Mileage Plan passenger base?) I doubt SY does MCO again. They’ll probably add MSY and TPA first.

MSPNWA

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:38 am

One of the side effects of AS having to battle DL at SEA is that those resources are not available at PDX. One can say that AS has left the door open there for an LCC. A pilot base there is big for SY. They can work the West Coast (not just PDX) so much better with planes and crews available in better proximity.

FlyHappy

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:39 am

FA9295 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

PDX-MIA/TPA seem like perfect SY routes. However, I think they would need to try PDX-MCO again before they attempt any new Florida destinations. PDX-MSY also seems like a good fit for them.

PDX-CUN is also long overdue. Maybe SY would be the one to start that route as well...

I dunno about PDX-CUN, that's pretty darn long (yeah, I know about HNL), and I get the distinct impression that SY wants to de-emphasize Mexico and long routes, focusing more domestic. PVR/SJD seem more realistic. I'd guess they might try to connect PDX to CUN via STL or DFW...

compensateme

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:02 am

jbpdx wrote:

NK has tried several routes from PDX; besides LAS, none lasted. Heck, service to DTW lasted - literally - a few weeks before getting pulled, right before the start of the summer stretch.

That the market didn’t work for NK, doesn’t mean they’ve been nonexistent. Hopefully SY will fare better, although many users here are more ambitious about the market than SY will be ;).
We don’t care what your next flight is.

LAXBUR

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:47 pm

jbpdx wrote:

I highly doubt anyone would leave Mileage Plan for an airline that flies limited schedules and has no partners. Sun Country appears to be adding some possible low hanging fruit that works with their business model. Leisure folks looking for deals. Not frequent travelers or business folks that need higher frequencies or see value in a mileage scheme.

The constant “Alaska is abandoning Portland” stuff on here is also really silly. Within this post people have noted other airlines have also not “given love” to Portland. Not adding new cities all the time or even cutting back new routes is not indicative of abandonment. Perhaps the answer is that Portland can’t sustain those routes; not that airlines dislike Portland and don’t want to add service there for reasons outside of financial performance.

rainaviation2
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
I highly doubt anyone would leave Mileage Plan for an airline that flies limited schedules and has no partners. Sun Country appears to be adding some possible low hanging fruit that works with their business model. Leisure folks looking for deals. Not frequent travelers or business folks that need higher frequencies or see value in a mileage scheme.

The constant “Alaska is abandoning Portland” stuff on here is also really silly. Within this post people have noted other airlines have also not “given love” to Portland. Not adding new cities all the time or even cutting back new routes is not indicative of abandonment. Perhaps the answer is that Portland can’t sustain those routes; not that airlines dislike Portland and don’t want to add service there for reasons outside of financial performance.

This is what SY wants to be, they want to be a Vacation Airline that brings people to fun places (or from not so fun places in the case of MSP in the winter time). One thing though, SY does have partners. You can book a flight from LAS-MSP-KEF or SEA-MSP-FRA on Icelandair and Condor respectively (just to name a couple) with the domestic legs being on Sun Country.

And, you are correct, Portland is NOT being abandoned by Alaska.

FA9295

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:26 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Alaska certainly isn't abandoning Portland, but they haven't added a new destination from PDX since MCO, which was around 3 years ago, IIRC. And they've since axed ATL, DTW, MKE, STL, and SUN along with seasonal downgrades on MCI, MSP, OMA and TUS. I think that speaks for itself.

MIflyer12

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 pm

AS have increased PDX departures since 2016 even if they have cut destinations. The Investor Day presentation cites 129 a day. SY with low frequency won't catch business travelers but it can work for leisure. TPA or MSY before MCO? Stay out of the pot shops in WA state.

LAXBUR

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:45 am

FA9295 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Alaska certainly isn't abandoning Portland, but they haven't added a new destination from PDX since MCO, which was around 3 years ago, IIRC. And they've since axed ATL, DTW, MKE, STL, and SUN along with seasonal downgrades on MCI, MSP, OMA and TUS. I think that speaks for itself.

It speaks to the point that those routes don't work for a carrier like Alaska and it seems other airlines as well. Portland is not Seattle. Personally, I prefer Portland to connect and live lol. But it is smaller, less influential with business, and very close to Seattle. Frankly, I think Portland is lucky to have Alaska given those items. Sun Country will be annoyance at worst for Alaska. If they start added daily frequencies within the Northwest and West Coast, I'm sure they'll be squashed promptly by Alaska. But I'm skeptical that will ever happen given Sun Country's business model.

georgiabill

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:55 am

Perhaps a stupid question. How prepared is PDX for snow conditions. From what I heard 2" to 4" was expected in the PDX area. Sure they have equipment to deal with it. How often does PDX area see snow or freezing(icing) issues?

jbpdx

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:54 am

georgiabill wrote:
Perhaps a stupid question. How prepared is PDX for snow conditions. From what I heard 2" to 4" was expected in the PDX area. Sure they have equipment to deal with it. How often does PDX area see snow or freezing(icing) issues?

We get more of it than we like. Ice can shut down MAX. Depends on how long the cold lingers. Ground is fairly warm from the warmer than normal January. I just dragged my lemon tree into the garage for the first time in weeks. The airport is prepared.
Major airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU, CMH

BlatantEcho

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:43 am

^^^
Disagree entirely. I flew out with colleague on Monday and the Delays were hours.

They didn’t fill the de-ice trucks, and the half inch of light snow ground everything to a halt.

Flying back on Monday, I’m prepared for another full meltdown of operations. I’ll be surprised if it’s anhthing better than terrible.

wedgetail737

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:16 am

LAXBUR wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

It speaks to the point that those routes don't work for a carrier like Alaska and it seems other airlines as well. Portland is not Seattle. Personally, I prefer Portland to connect and live lol. But it is smaller, less influential with business, and very close to Seattle. Frankly, I think Portland is lucky to have Alaska given those items. Sun Country will be annoyance at worst for Alaska. If they start added daily frequencies within the Northwest and West Coast, I'm sure they'll be squashed promptly by Alaska. But I'm skeptical that will ever happen given Sun Country's business model.

How many pilots is Sun Country going to base at PDX? 12? We'll see how much longer Sun Country will stay at PDX.

FA9295

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:21 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
^^^
Disagree entirely. I flew out with colleague on Monday and the Delays were hours.

They didn’t fill the de-ice trucks, and the half inch of light snow ground everything to a halt.

Flying back on Monday, I’m prepared for another full meltdown of operations. I’ll be surprised if it’s anhthing better than terrible.

Ehh. I flew out the other day, and there certainly were delays, but I've seen it much, much worse. I had to fly out during the January 2017 snowstorm, and boy that was a nightmare I don't want to have to relive again. We'll see what happens this time around, but I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as it's hyped up to be. But that may be me just trying to be optimistic...

LAXBUR wrote:

Good points. I'm not necessarily questioning why Alaska dropped those routes, more or less just pointing out the slower growth (in terms of new destinations) of AS at PDX over the years. With that being said though, they've added frequencies on existing routes like FAT, TUS, BOS, ORD, RNO and BUR. So it's not really all doom and gloom... ;)

The only issue for AS if SY decides to add daily frequencies within the Northwest and West Coast, would be for AS to be able to match SY's prices. Then again, Portland has a lot of loyal AS customers, and I don't think that those AS loyalists would necessarily convert to SY over a fairly insignificant price change. But other than that, AS would eat SY's lunch cold, and SY knows that--which is why they probably won't be headed in that direction anytime soon, not to mention SY's very small and limited fleet also hinders them from doing this. Also, SY wanted to try PDX-RNO, a much shorter route, and even only at 2x weekly they decided to pull it before it even started, for fairly obvious reasons. PDX-RNO was ultimately replaced with PDX-SFO instead, and we know that SY's PDX-SFO flight has been successful because they are currently planning on increasing it from 2x weekly to 4x weekly starting in June. PDX-RNO certainly would not have had that kind of success...

I try to make it a habit to avoid connecting in Seattle because it's often quite a mess up there, but I've been a Delta Medallion member for a long time so I'm fairly used to connecting there if I really have to...
Last edited by FA9295 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

RWA380

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:37 am

The biggest annoyance SY brings to AS is their low fares. At times AS has tried to match, but they really don’t need to. I’ve seen PDX-SFO on SY at $63.00 r/t. I haven’t seen AS much under $100, which is still very low. SY had had HNL well under $300, AS hasn’t been under $300. AS loses little to SY at this point. SY would seriously need to step up the frequency on current routes to be a real thorn to AS.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

LAXBUR

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:05 am

FA9295 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:
^^^

Ehh. I flew out the other day, and there certainly were delays, but I've seen it much, much worse. I had to fly out during the January 2017 snowstorm, and boy that was a nightmare I don't want to have to relive again. We'll see what happens this time around, but I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as it's hyped up to be. But that may be me just trying to be optimistic...

LAXBUR wrote:

Good points. I'm not necessarily questioning why Alaska dropped those routes, more or less just pointing out the slower growth (in terms of new destinations) of AS at PDX over the years. With that being said though, they've added frequencies on existing routes like FAT, TUS, BOS, ORD, RNO and BUR. So it's not really all doom and gloom... ;)

The only issue for AS if SY decides to add daily frequencies within the Northwest and West Coast, would be for AS to be able to match SY's prices. Then again, Portland has a lot of loyal AS customers, and I don't think that those AS loyalists would necessarily convert to SY over a fairly insignificant price change. But other than that, AS would eat SY's lunch cold, and SY knows that--which is why they probably won't be headed in that direction anytime soon, not to mention SY's very small and limited fleet also hinders them from doing this. Also, SY wanted to try PDX-RNO, a much shorter route, and even only at 2x weekly they decided to pull it before it even started, for fairly obvious reasons. PDX-RNO was ultimately replaced with PDX-SFO instead, and we know that SY's PDX-SFO flight has been successful because they are currently planning on increasing it from 2x weekly to 4x weekly starting in June. PDX-RNO certainly would not have had that kind of success...

I try to make it a habit to avoid connecting in Seattle because it's often quite a mess up there, but I've been a Delta Medallion member for a long time so I'm fairly used to connecting there if I really have to...

I don’t know how Sea-Tac continues in the space that it has. It was crowded and dated when I worked there in 2004. It really hasn’t changed that much since then. It is really quite amazing.

airlinepeanuts

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:14 am

I thought I remember reading somewhere that some of the route planners at SY are ex-AS route planners. This would make sense focusing on underserved markets out of PDX.

rainaviation2
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:34 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
I thought I remember reading somewhere that some of the route planners at SY are ex-AS route planners. This would make sense focusing on underserved markets out of PDX.

Yes, Ben Brookman is the VP of planning and revenue at SY and he used to work for AS.

wedgetail737 wrote:
How many pilots is SunCountry going to base at PDX? 12? We'll see how much longer SunCountry will stay at PDX.

Who knows, with the route network they have now they could base pilots in PDX for multi-day west coast trips. Something like PDX-HNL-SFO-PDX (not saying this is a routing they will make but just a possibility). SY is not leaving PDX anytime soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos