Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UA857
Topic Author

Why did NW cut DTW-SEL?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:15 am

Years before the DL/NW merger NW flew DTW-SEL nonstop why did they cut the route?

compensateme

Re: Why did NW cut DTW-SEL?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:23 am

Because it wasn’t making money.

Search is your friend:
(Hey, you authored this thread, short memory?)
viewtopic.php?t=1394727

viewtopic.php?t=241621
We don’t care what your next flight is.

hoons90

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:37 am

A lot of airlines cut routes to SEL around 1997/1998 due to the Asian Financial Crisis. NW continued to serve SEL via NRT.
DL started flying DTW-ICN in 2010.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

SCFlyer

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:43 am

As was said last time in the last thread you've posted.

Site Search and Google are your friends.

http://www.google.com
https://www.airliners.net/search

SCFlyer

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:47 am

compensateme wrote:

Search is your friend:
(Hey, you authored this thread, short memory?)
viewtopic.php?t=1394727

viewtopic.php?t=241621

Agreed. One suggestion is that common sense should be applied with users suggested to search for previous questions like this one before asking.

The OP seems to have a history of asking questions that has been asked many times before.

jetero

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:58 am

Someone has a lot of (not very specific) questions.

September11

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:03 am

Northwest Orient... ahh

good old airline for US-Asia service
Airliners.net of the Future

9w748capt

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:17 am

At least OP didn't ask why DL didn't close the DTW hub and move it to FNT. Baby steps!

jetero

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:20 am

Southwest could open a hub in FNT because FNT does not have a hub and is in close proximity to Detroit. Also DTW is on the southern end of Detroit so FNT could be a hub for the people who live in the north. People who live in the north of Detroit fly. And sometimes they go to Chicago. And sometimes it snows on the south side of Detroit but not the northside. Therefore Southwest could open a hub in Flint.

9w748capt

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:27 am

jetero wrote:
Southwest could open a hub in FNT because FNT does not have a hub and is in close proximity to Detroit. Also DTW is on the southern end of Detroit so FNT could be a hub for the people who live in the north. People who live in the north of Detroit fly. And sometimes they go to Chicago. And sometimes it snows on the south side of Detroit but not the northside. Therefore Southwest could open a hub in Flint.

Great points! And for the days that both the north and south of Detroit are snowy, they can just move the FNT hub to AZO!

AirAfreak

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:39 am

Before the Asian Financial Crisis, there was a period of time when South Koreans had to endure these practice drills due to the threat of Kim Il-Sung bombing the capital. He died in 1994, and then there was his son, Kim Jong-Il that continued those threats. I didn’t see my family for four years because my father cancelled those plane tickets he purchased on Northwest. I had four round trips booked IAD-DTW-SEL(Gimpo) all on Northwest and they advertised their new 747-400 on their ticket jackets. My father cancelled all of them and Northwest gave him a full refund. It was a scary time to travel to Korea as an unaccompanied minor. I was a teenager in those days, so my father was always protective over me. Finally, when Northwest cancelled that flight, my father’s travel agent booked me to Korea once again on this bizarre itinerary: AA IAD-LAX, QF LAX-SYD, QF SYD-SEL for like $1,300.00 round trip. Korea was not the easiest place to get to from IAD on the cheap.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

jetero

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 am

9w748capt wrote:
jetero wrote:

Great points! And for the days that both the north and south of Detroit are snowy, they can just move the FNT hub to AZO!

My mind is officially blown. Makes so much sense!

dtwpilot225

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:56 am

Makes no sense at all, spirit should open a hub at ptk cause it’s north of dtw and it’s on m59 so it would be sweet

jetero

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:04 am

dtwpilot225 wrote:
Makes no sense at all, spirit should open a hub at ptk cause it’s north of dtw and it’s on m59 so it would be sweet

Does anyone know why NW never flew DET-GMP?

SteelChair

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 pm

For all the snarky commenters, i have been lurking in the thread on and off for a number of years and never knew that NWA had so many operations at SEL. There must be others like me, so the thread has merit.

Its hard for me to imagine how much capacity there was out there in "the old days."

compensateme

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 pm

SteelChair wrote:
For all the snarky commenters, i have been lurking in the thread on and off for a number of years and never knew that NWA had so many operations at SEL. There must be others like me, so the thread has merit.

Its hard for me to imagine how much capacity there was out there in "the old days."

Except that he’s violating the forum’s rules by continually posting similar/same topics (aka spam). He asked a similar question last year, and received then same answers. When I did my internship for NW, if you asked a question that was even remotely close to somebody else the boss would respond with “asked and answered!” And you’d be on the poop list. Seems appropriate here.

BoeingGuy

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

compensateme wrote:

I always thought that airlines make route decisions based on emotional decisions and what they like and dislike, not based on business decisions. That's what I often read on A.net anyway.

We all know that DL has a vendetta against DTW. Another poster wrote that AS "hates Portland" because they are reducing some flights there, and not expanding much now.

compensateme

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:27 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
compensateme wrote:

I always thought that airlines make route decisions based on emotional decisions and what they like and dislike, not based on business decisions. That's what I often read on A.net anyway.

We all know that DL has a vendetta against DTW. Another poster wrote that AS "hates Portland" because they are reducing some flights there, and not expanding much now.

We’re talking about NW over 20 years ago, not DL ;). And everybody on here is emotional about something... I could’ve written “because they didn’t have the mighty 787” and it would’ve connected with a large faction of the user base.

BoeingGuy

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:52 pm

compensateme wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
compensateme wrote:

We’re talking about NW over 20 years ago, not DL ;). And everybody on here is emotional about something... I could’ve written “because they didn’t have the mighty 787” and it would’ve connected with a large faction of the user base.

I know. I was being sarcastic. And yes, I think DL would have been well served by having the 787 in their fleet. Might make some routes like SEA-HKG, MSP-HND, or even SLC-ICN work at all, or work better.

jetblueguy22

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:56 pm

It’s clearly because NW and now DL hate DTW. They only started it so they could cut it and rub it in their faces.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Janj

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:41 pm

jetero wrote:

Spot on. The only marks off are because our favorite user never actually types out an airline or city name.

SteelChair

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
It’s clearly because NW and now DL hate DTW. They only started it so they could cut it and rub it in their faces.

And it can be fixed by going on an anonymous website board and continually whining.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos