SCHATC422
Topic Author

WN Drops BDL-LAS

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:19 am

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticu ... story.html

Surprising to be honest. Always remember that flight being close to full or full, if not oversold. Wonder if this brings up WN trying PHX-BDL instead in the near future then? STL has been a success so far and is always full if not very close to it.

Thoughts?
Former WN Ramp Rat
Current ATC

slcdeltarumd11

Re: WN Drops BDL-LAS

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 am

It's all lesisure passengers, and there are so many places they can connect you thru instead. Look at ALB it had a successful flight to LAS for years, they replaced it with a DEN flight not because LAS didn't make money, but DEN connects you to Las perfectly and many more cities.

UpNAWAy

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:46 am

I recall when SW used to never drop routes. Times and markets are a changing.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 am

Southwest is very stable on routes.

This is just the DEN effect.

The route was basically moved to Denver. Denver offers more connections, is shorter, and has more business demand. LAS is still a large connection city for southwest but it was more important before DEN was on the scene.

This has happened to other cities as well, nothing really bad here.

OzarkD9S

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

See ABQ and SLC. Former WN connecting points, now....not so much.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

FSDan

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:00 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

See ABQ and SLC. Former WN connecting points, now....not so much.

For ABQ, it's the double-whammy of DEN coming online and DAL opening up post Wright Amendment.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

spinkid

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 am

Its a shame to see BDL lose service to LAS. I know America West offered it in years past. I'm wondering if Spirit or Frontier will pick it up, even at 4 weekly or something like that.
With Sun Country in PVD, perhaps they will try BDL as well and serve LAS and MSP less than daily.

RL757PVD

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 am

It blows my mind that WN can sustain BDL-STL but not BDL-LAS. is WN not competitive in the longer haul markets? They seem to have a limited long haul menu and their transcon fares are rarely ever competitive.

Curious when this dinosaur of an airline will join the 20th century and offer red-eyes which would drastically improve economics in a market like this.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

SurfandSnow

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 am

Didn't UA not elect to continue their SFO-BDL service? I believe I read on here that Connecticut's economy is not doing very well...maybe this cut is indicative of an issue beyond just WN.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

flyby519

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 am

I wonder if B6 could make this work

Ionosphere

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 am

WN has also had trouble with longer flights out of PVD. MCI, DEN, LAS, & PHX all failed.

FARmd90

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:50 am

flyby519 wrote:
I wonder if B6 could make this work

I bet they could make it work with the A220. Otherwise this might be a could route for G4 to try also.

A320NK

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 am

Now that there is no LAS-ALB, LAS-BDL, I believe one can not fly straight from LAS to any point east of BUF until BOS (except for NYC and PHL). It seems like a pretty big gap for Upstate New Yorkers and New Englanders!

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:14 am

BDL is the U.S. #53 airport in terms of domestic O&D. Why would people think this route could support a 143-passenger jet on BDL O&D? If WN couldn't make LAS work I don't think PHX would be any better year-round, although maybe there's some PHX seasonality that could work 3-4 months a year.

maps4ltd

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:16 am

Well, LAS-ISP is pretty much out the window.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

jplatts

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
BDL is the U.S. #53 airport in terms of domestic O&D. Why would people think this route could support a 143-passenger jet on BDL O&D? If WN couldn't make LAS work I don't think PHX would be any better year-round, although maybe there's some PHX seasonality that could work 3-4 months a year.

There are a few destinations such as MSP, EWR, and PHL that currently have nonstop service to PHX on WN but not to LAS on WN.

While WN doesn't currently serve CVG nonstop from LAS, WN will resume seasonal CVG-PHX nonstop service on March 9th.

BDL might be able to support nonstop service to PHX on WN since (a) WN has nonstop service to PHX from a few destinations that don't have nonstop service to LAS on WN and (b) BDL is one of the top destinations traveled to from PHX that isn't currently served nonstop from PHX.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:25 am

Southwest just doesn't need this route anymore. The traffic is better connected via demver, it just make sense. Bdl-las less than daily is probably perfect for sun country.

jagraham

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 am

LAS is mostly leisure, and yields are low. WN doesn't get excited about low yields for flights over 2 hours. WN would rather let those passengers transfer.
Also, how many BDL passengers were transferring in LAS?

Super80Fan

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:40 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

LAS is a very O&D airport. PHX on the otherhand supports O&D traffic but also can support connections to Mexico, Hawaii, and other Southwestern destinations.

While BDL-LAS couldn't work, I could see BDL-PHX working, along with WN adding BDL-BNA and possibly AS adding BDL-SEA.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

spinkid

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 am

jagraham wrote:
LAS is mostly leisure, and yields are low. WN doesn't get excited about low yields for flights over 2 hours. WN would rather let those passengers transfer.
Also, how many BDL passengers were transferring in LAS?

Some, BDL-LAX has limited or no options, and WN also opens up BUR, ONT, etc

rph99

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:15 am

maps4ltd wrote:
Well, LAS-ISP is pretty much out the window.

F9 could probably make direct to LAS work from ISP. However, like Southwest’s decision, Denver would probably make more since due to the F9 night bank to the west and the red-eye/ returns to DEN.

Jshank83

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:10 am

RL757PVD wrote:
It blows my mind that WN can sustain BDL-STL but not BDL-LAS. is WN not competitive in the longer haul markets? They seem to have a limited long haul menu and their transcon fares are rarely ever competitive.

Curious when this dinosaur of an airline will join the 20th century and offer red-eyes which would drastically improve economics in a market like this.

They run BDL into STLs west coast bank. Might have also contributed to less of a need for BDL-LAS, besides what DEN offers now.

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
I recall when SW used to never drop routes.

When was that?

WN has always dropped/changed routes that didn't work.

What you're probably thinking, but misstating, is that WN used to not drop stations... which itself isn't accurate (SanFran1, Beaumont, Houston/Bush, etc) but *is* a reputation that they long enjoyed.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

MO11

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
BDL is the U.S. #53 airport in terms of domestic O&D. Why would people think this route could support a 143-passenger jet on BDL O&D?

Because the route has been running since 2003.

Super80Fan wrote:
LAS is a very O&D airport. PHX on the otherhand supports O&D traffic but also can support connections to Mexico, Hawaii, and other Southwestern destinations.

While BDL-LAS couldn't work, I could see BDL-PHX working, along with WN adding BDL-BNA....

There was one flight a day to LAS, where connections could be made to any California city (on Southwest). If there were one BDL-PHX flight/day instead, then connections could be made to any California city, or LAS (on Southwest). It's a wash. WN used to fly BDL-BNA; it apparently didn't work.

I didn't see what time the LAS flight was scheduled for in the spring. If it was really early or really late, it may not have been the first choice. Just because it's nonstop doesn't mean that it's convenient. When BDL-DEN (daily) returns in March, it will be a 915am departure. In April, it moves to 440pm. Will that time change shift travelers to another airline or a 1-stop?

wnflyguy

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Allegiant,Frontier or Sun Country could easily fill the BDL-LAS void with a Thursday,Saturday,Monday summer schedule with a off season run Saturday only.
Spirit keeps growing LAS they could add a LAS-BDL Red eye. Run a Morning BDL-MCO turn then send the plane Westbound to LAS before returning on the red eye.
As for Western connections via LAS on WN I believe on average 75 out of 143/175 went on to California or PNW.

Rerouting passengers via DEN makes more since than LAS. In DEN it's a one concourse vs a unfriendly C and B split in LAS.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

maximairways

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm

A BDL-OAK flight would be nice to have. If United doesn't continue SFO, it would give that bay area connection. Also, connections to Hawaii and such.

Qantas59

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm

The ALB-LAS was supposed to have re-started on 3 Out 18. Did that ever happen? Is that also the date that WN ended BDL-LAS?
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png

santi319

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 pm

This screams NK !

MO11

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Qantas59 wrote:
The ALB-LAS was supposed to have re-started on 3 Out 18. Did that ever happen? Is that also the date that WN ended BDL-LAS?

ALB-LAS didn't resume. BDL-LAS typically ended just after the holidays and resumed in March. Last year it ended in early November; I checked an old schedule dump and found it was never scheduled to resume (at least by April).

santi319 wrote:
This screams NK !

Just remember that Spirit isn't better then nothing....

santi319

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm

MO11 wrote:

santi319 wrote:
This screams NK !

Just remember that Spirit isn't better then nothing....

Oh but it is for a lot of people. Hence why they keep growing, and they have a better ontime perfomance than the beloved WN so..

Worldair1

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 pm

WN dropped IAD-LAS as well. I did it twice and it was packed in both directions. Not sure why.......

FlyPNS1

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:11 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

Southwest has never been as strong on longer flights. They don't attract as many of the higher-yielding business travelers on flights that are 4+ hours long where having an F cabin matters more.

LotsaRunway

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Despite obtaining a very capable and efficient fleet, WN has been shying away from longer flights unless there is a strategic competitive purpose, like hub-hub or hub to focus city. Pure speculation on my part, but WN has been requiring a very strong return on investment and I think the long flights cut into that, especially when competing with other airline's premium cabins. Unless WN finds fertile international markets to grow in, then they are going to have to eventually find a way to grow in small markets or fly longer flights more profitably to connect the dots more directly. IMHO, WN is missing the boat in not connecting the longer dots in their network because F9 , SY and NK are moving into that turf being left vacant by WN. Consider how most airlines are growing in BDL and PVD, while WN shrinks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos