BravoEcho757
Topic Author

Big Bang actress rants about United

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:42 pm

Feel free to move or delete if this isn't the appropriate forum.

Seems Mayim Bialik had a bad day but I can't really agree with her here. When she said "The flight attendant slammed the door in her face" I doubt that highly as passengers aren't left at the end of a jetbridge. I think she meant the gate agent, but I'm sure there's more to the story than just hers.

Thoughts?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/ma ... li=BBnb7Kz

IFlySlow

Re: Big Bang actress rants about United

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm

She forgot to say that United breaks guitars....

keesje

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Brexit, Cimate Change Denial, New Ebola Break Outs, Millions of homeless refugees and now this on top.

It's all becoming too much.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

sw733

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Blossom is angry

JHCRJ700

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 pm

This kind of things happens all day everyday with people who don't quite make their tight connection. I agree it was most likely the gate agent who closed the door. The only reason this is getting any attention is because of her relative "fame." It's rarely ever worth it to hold an entire flight for a single person.
Keep close to Nature’s heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.

WayexTDI

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:12 pm

JHCRJ700 wrote:
This kind of things happens all day everyday with people who don't quite make their tight connection. I agree it was most likely the gate agent who closed the door. The only reason this is getting any attention is because of her relative "fame." It's rarely ever worth it to hold an entire flight for a single person.

If you read what she wrote, 5 passengers boarded AFTER she was at the gate; she wouldn't have held the flight.

Barbro

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:14 pm

keesje wrote:
Brexit, Cimate Change Denial, New Ebola Break Outs, Millions of homeless refugees and now this on top.

:D :D

ClassicLover

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:23 pm

You know, I was going to say, "Why is this even news?" because it's not. Someone missed a flight - happens all the time.

However, I would have been furious if everyone around me was permitted on board and I wasn't. She says that five others around her were allowed on, then she wasn't, despite there apparently being plenty of seats available. I would have been extremely irritated by that - furious actually.

Still, there are more important things in the world to worry about. This really is "Actress is annoyed she missed flight, despite running for it" - which is not worthy of a headline or a news story as we've all been there. Hopefully next time I'll be in the news... "Airliners.net poster misses flight! Scandal! Film at 11!"
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

TVNWZ

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:25 pm

JHCRJ700 wrote:
It's rarely ever worth it to hold an entire flight for a single person.

My rule of thumb: if you are on the plane they will hold it forever. If your hustling to make the connection it will leave early.

BC77008

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Mayim is not very clear as to what exactly happened to her and why. If five passengers were let on after she presented her boarding pass to the gate agent and was denied boarding, perhaps she was displaying signs of intoxication. Her tangent is unclear because she accuses the flight attendant of having denied boarding, and if this is the case, and five people after her boarded the aircraft, then she was singled out for removal due to possible intoxication or for poor behavior displayed to other passengers and/or crew members. She writes she would have been happy to place her bag in a first class seat and place her behind in an unoccupied seat in coach. This suggests that it's possible her luggage was beyond regulation size. If this is the case, it is possible to PURCHASE another seat for the purpose of transporting an extra-large item - musical instruments come to mind - provided there is a seat available for ultra-last-minute purchase if it wasn't done so in advance. So either:

1. Mayim was displaying signs of intoxication or illness
2. Was rude to airline staff/other passengers
3. Arrived at the gate too late and those 5 passengers were likely stand-by non-revs that just got their boarding pass and the flight closed out by the agent.
4. Tried to circumnavigate the purchase of an additional seat so she could travel with an extra-large item
5. If her item was regulation size but the overhead bins were full, she didn't want to separate from her bag and have it gate checked (this really shouldn't be an issue on a first-class ticket, so I think this is the least plausible.)

So basically:
1. Her fault
2. Her fault
3. Her fault
4. Her fault
5. Her fault
Last edited by BC77008 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

WayexTDI

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:10 pm

BC77008 wrote:
Mayim is not very clear as to what exactly happened to her and why. If five passengers were let on after she presented her boarding pass to the gate agent and was denied boarding, perhaps she was displaying signs of intoxication. Her tangent is unclear because she accuses the flight attendant of having denied boarding, and if this is the case, and five people after her boarded the aircraft, then she was singled out for removal due to possible intoxication or for poor behavior displayed to other passengers and/or crew members. She writes she would have been happy to place her bag in a first class seat and place her behind in an unoccupied seat in coach. This suggests that it's possible her luggage was beyond regulation size. If this is the case, it is possible to PURCHASE another seat for the purpose of transporting an extra-large item - musical instruments come to mind - provided there is a seat available for ultra-last-minute purchase if it wasn't done so in advance. So either:

1. Mayim was displaying signs of intoxication
3. Arrived at the gate too late and those 5 passengers were likely stand-by non-revs that just got their boarding pass and the flight closed out by the agent.
4. Tried to circumnavigate the purchase of an additional seat so she could travel with an extra-large item
5. If her item was regulation size but the overhead bins were full, she didn't want to separate from her bag and have it gate checked (this really shouldn't be an issue on a first-class ticket, so I think this is the least plausible.)

So basically:
1. Her fault
2. Her fault
3. Her fault
4. Her fault
5. Her fault

Go back and read her statements.

She said she had a 1st class ticket, and believed her bag could have fitted there; she said she'd have been glad to take an eco seat if that's all that was needed for her to be on that flight.

But, you already made up your mind anyway.

BC77008

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
She said she had a 1st class ticket, and believed her bag could have fitted there; she said she'd have been glad to take an eco seat if that's all that was needed for her to be on that flight.

There you go. She wanted her bag to sit in a first-class seat and she wanted her behind to occupy a seat in coach. That is two seats. She would've needed to ticket two seats. If I book a room at a Marriott but I want another room so I can store my luggage, I purchase two rooms. Even if there are plenty of open rooms I don't get the privilege of more than one room without paying for it.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

deltaffindfw

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm

If she showed up less than 10 minutes before boarding, her seat was probably given away. The gate agent might have put her on the standby list, and she was below the others on it. I don't know UA's system and if a paid first customer would be put ahead or behind that of their highest elite travelers. Could that be a possibility?

Bricktop

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:22 pm

They would have helped Penny!

WayexTDI

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:26 pm

BC77008 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

There you go. She wanted her bag to sit in a first-class seat and she wanted her behind to occupy a seat in coach. That is two seats. She would've needed to ticket two seats. If I book a room at a Marriott but I want another room so I can store my luggage, I purchase two rooms. Even if there are plenty of open rooms I don't get the privilege of more than one room without paying for it.

Let's back up a bit.

She was on a connecting flight; meaning she was already on United or a Star Alliance member; they allowed her bag on the previous flight, why can it NOT be accommodated on that flight?

She has a seat reserved on 1st class, which usually have more then enough bin space for all pax seating there; what happened? She wasn't even allowed to board, what's the reason?

Yes, actors/actresses are know to throw a fit for nothing; not sure this really is the case, especially since her tweets were still very civil, unlike a lot of other people. And then, she praised United for resolving the issue.

At that level, it appears (understand what "appears" mean before you throw a fit in response) the gate agent did not do his/her job.

It'd be interesting to review the surveillance video to understand what happened.

richierich

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm

BC77008 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

BC77008 - sounds like you've already made up your mind as well. It doesn't say anywhere that she wanted two seats, only that that was an option she would have been willing to accept should the bag have been the cause of her issue.

What we don't know here is the actual size of her bag. However, one can presume that she had it with her in DEN and therefore likely flew to DEN with said bag. So it fit on one flight but presumably not on the other? We have no way of confirming if the flight she was trying to get on was truly wide open but it does seem a bit odd that a gate agent would let others on the flight before a paying FC passenger. Most gate agents would, I suspect, go out of their way for a celebrity (minor or otherwise) - at the very least, there should have been an explanation or reasonable attempt at accommodation. We weren't there, we can't say for sure.
None shall pass!!!!

PlanesNTrains

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm

keesje wrote:

Lol
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

JannEejit

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Maybe the gate agent has the hots for Sheldon ?

Aptivaboy

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:54 pm

At least Chumley still lives to brighten our days.

FlyHossD

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:09 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
She was on a connecting flight; meaning she was already on United or a Star Alliance member; they allowed her bag on the previous flight, why can it NOT be accommodated on that flight?

She has a seat reserved on 1st class, which usually have more then enough bin space for all pax seating there; what happened? She wasn't even allowed to board, what's the reason?

Yes, actors/actresses are know to throw a fit for nothing; not sure this really is the case, especially since her tweets were still very civil, unlike a lot of other people. And then, she praised United for resolving the issue.

At that level, it appears (understand what "appears" mean before you throw a fit in response) the gate agent did not do his/her job.

It'd be interesting to review the surveillance video to understand what happened.

There does seem to be conflicting information - at UAL, a flight attendant doesn't close the aircraft door; it's closed by a gate agent (CSR). So I'm left wondering exactly what happened, as is the case when you only hear one side of a story. I do hope video - if any - will help sort it all out.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

WayexTDI

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:24 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

There does seem to be conflicting information - at UAL, a flight attendant doesn't close the aircraft door; it's closed by a gate agent (CSR). So I'm left wondering exactly what happened, as is the case when you only hear one side of a story. I do hope video - if any - will help sort it all out.

Genuine question: are gate agents really qualified to close an aircraft door??? Those positions are usually revolving doors as far as turnover; training and qualifying someone to do so, only to see them leave in a few month, looks crazy. Not to mention the number of different aircraft they handle every day.

nws2002

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Genuine question: are gate agents really qualified to close an aircraft door??? Those positions are usually revolving doors as far as turnover; training and qualifying someone to do so, only to see them leave in a few month, looks crazy. Not to mention the number of different aircraft they handle every day.

Sure, training on door opening/closing is super quick. On aircraft like the A320 it actually makes is safer to have the GA open/close the door because the slide disarms when opened from outside. A failsafe just in case the FA didn't disarm the door.

klm617

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

JHCRJ700 wrote:

Really maybe it might not matter to United but it matters to the customer who paid for a ticket because they wanted to be there at a certain time. United should absolutely hold the flight if it is their fault the passenger missed their connection then maybe they would learn what customer service is all about. I'm all for leaving a passenger behind if it's their fault they are late to the gate but if it's United's fault the aircraft should be held or the ticket price refunded as the carrier did not fulfill their obligation to what was purchased.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

codc10

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:39 pm

WayexTDI wrote:

Gate agent positions don't have nearly the turnover rate you suggest, and opening/closing aircraft doors is not rocket science.

santi319

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Literally every airline in the US the agent closes and opens the door

ER757

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Bricktop wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl:
You, sir, win the internet!!

FlyHossD

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:07 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Yes. I don't remember a time when a gate agent didn't close the door with the exception of ferry flights. The training is not long or complicated.

So it seems that the claim that the flight attendant closed the door is incorrect and the result of a misunderstanding. I always hated to close the door and pushback knowing that were late connecting passengers headed to the gate, but that has to be balanced against the needs of the larger group of passengers who are onboard (don't they deserve an on-time flight (if possible), too?). It's a tricky question, but airline travel is a mass transit system and that should be understood. as well.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Etheereal

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:10 pm

BC77008 wrote:
So basically:
1. Her fault
2. Her fault
3. Her fault
4. Her fault
5. Her fault

Alright, thread's over boys.

smokeybandit

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm

She will have made over $20 million on the last two seasons of Big Bang Theory alone.

She can go ahead and fly Wheels Up or something

ODwyerPW

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Bricktop wrote:

Best response of the thread!!!
learning never stops.

JoeCanuck

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 pm

To play devils advocate, I'm first going to assume that this was a misunderstanding, oversight and/or honest mistake, (the nicest people get tired, cranky and short tempered sometimes). These are the most likely explanations. If this gate agent was normally a b*tch, then there would be tons of evidence for that splashed over social media. The same if Bialic was a chronic complainer. We also would have plenty of evidence to support that...shoot from the hip social media being what it is.

There is almost always some shared responsibility in any conflict, so it is very likely that both parties could have acted in a more civil manner.

Regardless of what happened in this case, one uncivil act doesn't define a person...or at least it shouldn't.
What the...?

flyingcat

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Mayim Bialik has had a lot of bad days recently. She posted over the holidays that she broke up with her boyfriend and was in a dirty apartment with four cats felling lonely. Her ex meanwhile has a new girlfriend and hosted Thanksgiving at his house.

There were many critical comments about this however its readily apparent her personal life is not doing as well as her professional and without a partner it seems she is much more active in social media.

Oliver2020

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
BC77008 wrote:

1. Mayim was displaying signs of intoxication

So basically:
1. Her fault
2. Her fault
3. Her fault
4. Her fault
5. Her fault

Go back and read her statements.

BUT everything is speculation who knows if she's telling the truth or if five people even boarded after her.
Long story short
Her story
Gate agents story and in the middle is the actual truth of the matter.

Murf

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm

BC77008 wrote:

1. Mayim was displaying signs of intoxication or illness

So basically:
1. Her fault
2. Her fault
3. Her fault
4. Her fault
5. Her fault

Look...Let's just say Mr judge, jury and executioner here is right... Which he's not. Whether we like it or not, airlines consider and treat these people as VIP's and for an airline that has received lots of press for bad customer service lately the last thing I'm guessing United wants is for someone who the press follows on social media...to be airing out to the world how United Airlines did her wrong and listing details...Look what happens...United again in the news for poor customer service...If i tried this with my piddly 2800 followers it's a non event... Do I agree with this... Hell no...I wanna be treated VIP too...But United can only blame themselves...it doesn't matter if it was her fault or not... It was done to someone who can create news... And that it did... It made it to this site and many others whether justified or not... Damage done...Again

Murf

Gulfstream500

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 am

Welcome to the airline industry.... I’ve heard stories of GAs closing the door 15 minutes before departure when people had tight connections with 30+ minute delays (in the world of NK).

Ziyulu

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 am

Since when was United Airlines known for customer service?

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:36 am

Something's missing in the story here.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

B764er

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:55 am

Too bad Robert Six died so long ago. Blossom could've gotten her friend Six to complain to him. Oh wait, he was with Continental. Ok......

WayexTDI

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:58 am

Ziyulu wrote:

Do you ever say anything positive about US airlines?

Ziyulu

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 am

WayexTDI wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Do you ever say anything positive about US airlines?

My best flight was on American Airlines when I was 8 years old flying from St. Louis to Dallas--a flight that was less than two hours long. This was in regular economy class. The flight attendant was extremely nice and caring to me. Instead of getting regular breakfast like everyone else, she said to me, "Because you are so special, I have a kid's meal for you." The meal included Frosted Flakes cereal, toast, chocolate cake, fruit, and a candy bar. I couldn't decide on what I wanted to drink and she let me follow her into the galley to choose from all the cans. To this date, I remember this flight like it was yesterday.

Kno

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 am

The Big Bang theory is a horrible show so maybe her theory about the employee hating it is correct.

ScottB

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 am

BC77008 wrote:
So basically:
1. Her fault
2. Her fault
3. Her fault
4. Her fault
5. Her fault

Or to rephrase in keeping with the high customer service standards of United Airlines, best epitomized by Dr. David Dao:

1. Blame the customer
2. Blame the customer
3. Blame the customer
4. Blame the customer
5. Blame the customer

FlyHossD wrote:
I always hated to close the door and pushback knowing that were late connecting passengers headed to the gate, but that has to be balanced against the needs of the larger group of passengers who are onboard (don't they deserve an on-time flight (if possible), too?). It's a tricky question, but airline travel is a mass transit system and that should be understood. as well.

Indeed, but these days there's pretty good visibility into whether or not there are passengers who will be cutting it close due to late inbound flights. While I get that delaying departure a few minutes may inconvenience some passengers, I'd also expect the airline to be more accommodating to a passenger traveling on a revenue F ticket.

FlyHossD wrote:
There does seem to be conflicting information - at UAL, a flight attendant doesn't close the aircraft door; it's closed by a gate agent (CSR).

Why do you expect a member of the general public, rather than an industry insider, to actually know the different roles at an airline aside from maybe "pilots, mechanics, and other?" I mean, we get press coverage where everything is the "runway" or the "tarmac." The difference isn't material to the story.

FlyHossD

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 am

ScottB wrote:

FlyHossD wrote:
There does seem to be conflicting information - at UAL, a flight attendant doesn't close the aircraft door; it's closed by a gate agent (CSR).

Why do you expect a member of the general public, rather than an industry insider, to actually know the different roles at an airline aside from maybe "pilots, mechanics, and other?" I mean, we get press coverage where everything is the "runway" or the "tarmac." The difference isn't material to the story.

An interesting point, but yes, I do expect most passengers to know the difference between a gate agent and someone sometimes similarly dressed onboard the aircraft - a flight attendant. It wouldn't be a surprise that even a novice passenger could figure that one out, let alone someone who probably travels regularly. She's a smart and highly educated woman - not to mention a brilliant actress - and she doesn't know that flight attendants not only don't shut the aircraft door, but don't shut the door to the jetbridge either??? So that's why something seems amiss to the story IMHO - you're certainly entitled to yours, as well.

In any case, I do hope UA ultimately "did right" by her.

Web500sjc

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 am

ScottB wrote:
While I get that delaying departure a few minutes may inconvenience some passengers, I'd also expect the airline to be more accommodating to a passenger traveling on a revenue F ticket.

United has a formula on whether to hold a flight or not. I would assume the formula is based on the amount of people, how many HVCs there are, and the availability of alternate transportation. In this case, the formula indicated the connection was not in the range where it was reasonable to hold the flight. Maybe if United was more in tune with the social standing of their customer, it may have been a different story.

Since the departure time was not delayed and the airline used the standard departure time. I would assume that the standard time line was used ... 10 minutes prior, the GA dropped all the passengers that had yet to board, the GA then processed upgrades, finally he/she cleared and boarded all the standbys in order to get an ontime departure. I can only assume that the Actress showed up after her seat had been dropped, and as a result her seat had been given away (those were the people who were let on while she was at the gate). Once the seat is dropped and repurposed to another passenger, it’s is very doubtful that the seat will be returned to the original passenger. Otherwise you get a Doctor Doa situation.

I’m not defending United, but I am trying to paint an accurate picture of what decisions were made, and why that lead to those outcomes.
Boiler Up!

SuperiorPilotMe

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 am

ScottB wrote:

Or to rephrase in keeping with the high customer service standards of United Airlines, best epitomized by Dr. David Dao:

1. Blame the customer
2. Blame the customer
3. Blame the customer
4. Blame the customer
5. Blame the customer

Or in other words A.net’s idea of customer service.

WayexTDI wrote:
Dude, tell me you just didn't say that...

Who are you to judge this forum? And even if you could judge this forum, the mere fact you have to do it using insults just show you cannot even hold an argument.

Oh I’m sorry I must’ve caught you during a “rare” moment of being extremely buttmad.

Like judging people (customers) isn’t A.bet’s favorite hobby? Tell me with an honest face this thread serves any other purpose.

tpaewr

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:09 am

This is such a nonstory. Should the plane be held for her because she is on a randon TV show, even if it perhaps risks 10 down line folks misconnecting on the other end? Or maybe the crew times out and the whole flight is canceled.

People self importance is just redic sometimes

ScottB

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 am

Web500sjc wrote:
United has a formula on whether to hold a flight or not. I would assume the formula is based on the amount of people, how many HVCs there are, and the availability of alternate transportation. In this case, the formula indicated the connection was not in the range where it was reasonable to hold the flight. Maybe if United was more in tune with the social standing of their customer, it may have been a different story.

Since the departure time was not delayed and the airline used the standard departure time. I would assume that the standard time line was used ... 10 minutes prior, the GA dropped all the passengers that had yet to board, the GA then processed upgrades, finally he/she cleared and boarded all the standbys in order to get an ontime departure. I can only assume that the Actress showed up after her seat had been dropped, and as a result her seat had been given away (those were the people who were let on while she was at the gate).

Look, if the customer was able to arrive at the gate before the gate agent was able to board those standby passengers, clearly there's something very wrong with that formula -- she could have been boarded along with the standbys and she indicated she would have been willing to take an economy seat if the airline had already given away her REVENUE FIRST CLASS seat.

Frankly, it sounds a lot more like a case of just another lazy gate agent who can't be bothered to make an effort. And that's why United won't match Delta's yield premium.

FlyHossD wrote:
yes, I do expect most passengers to know the difference between a gate agent and someone sometimes similarly dressed onboard the aircraft - a flight attendant. It wouldn't be a surprise that even a novice passenger could figure that one out, let alone someone who probably travels regularly. She's a smart and highly educated woman - not to mention a brilliant actress - and she doesn't know that flight attendants not only don't shut the aircraft door, but don't shut the door to the jetbridge either???

I think that if you asked airline passengers, the vast majority would have absolutely no clue who opens or closes the aircraft or jetbridge door because you just don't see it from seat 35E. While Mayim Bialik does have a Ph.D. (in the same field her character does) that doesn't mean she knows anything about airline operations.

aerorobnz

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:07 am

She has apparently been having a mental breakdown since a breakup just before Christmas by some of the reports I have read. I think this speaks more about her mental health than it does UA's service standards..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n2pKnvH0V0
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ryanov

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 am

I'm quite sure it's possible on a full flight to have your seat given away at the 15 minute mark and for people to be boarded after you arrive.

readytotaxi

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am

At a million $ per episode, plus repeats, why is she not flying private?
Cue- "Warm Kitty Soft Kitty" in the background
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.