Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

wernerga3
Topic Author

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:53 pm

AAIRLINERS wrote:
I checked out as FO for AA on the 762 in late 1985. The oldest would have been a mere 2-3 years old and we only had a dozen or so straight 200s, no ERs and well before the entrance of the 300ER. The first class I remember had the first class barber chair, one all by itself in the middle with two rows of two on either side as depicted on the 9 seat diagram. They were all three class configured and only held about 150 or so seats. Besides flying the occasional SFO-JFK flight I flew mainly SFO-ORD. I checked out while TDY to JFK flying transcons to SFO and SAN. With so few airframes we didn't do many routes. The taupe leather seats was what I remembered. I will try to find some pictures of the cabin interior if I can. While it was not a true widebody by fuselage width standards (vs the DC10) it was a beautiful airplane to fly.

Yeah by 1985, they had the IFS on the DC10 and 762. But they also still had a standard version of both with 2-2-2 first on the 762.

I've never seen the 762 with the original 2-1-2 layout. I would die if you had a picture because I always wondered if it had the 5 tuft sheepskin like the DC10, or the 4 tuft sheepskin like the later 763(which was taupe)/747sp(which was blue). Do you recall if coach was the alternating beige/blue like the DC10, or if it was all blue?

I have only seen this photo from 1992 when they redid the cabins on the 762s and dc10s to have the new Webber seats

Continental767

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:31 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
Continental767 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
With only have 56K dial up back in the 1990s, AA's interiors were difficult to track. Here's what I'm thinking for certain aircraft types:

4. A300: A few of the Airbuses got PTVs as they were allocated to LHR flights from the East Coast and them subsequently removed. The rest of the fleet got newer seat covers around 2005-2006 same deal as the 757.

Do any pictures exist of the A300 cabin with PTVs? I’ve never seen them. Also, I thought I read a long long time ago that a few of the newest 763s had PTVs for a short while, though they were removed shortly after. Is this accurate?

Found this one from the press. Nothing I could find from AA.

Super cool to see, thanks so much. Seems like a lot of effort to reconfigure the entire aircraft with IFE and then rip it out a few years later... very odd decision making in terms of cabin reconfigs.
Indianapolis.

N649DL

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:41 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
The newest batch of 763s (delivered around 2003) came with the the equipment/wiring necessary for PTVs installed IIRC, along with the remote control for the IFE at every seat, with the actual screens to be installed at a later date. No PTVs were ever installed, however.

I was always perplexed why they chose to install the units on the A300s but not the 763s. Combined with the adjustable headrests, the Y cabin on the IFS A300 must have really been considered modern/innovative during the late 1990s.

I've done a deep dive for PTVs photos on the AA A300 on the internet, and I'm convinced that's the only photo out there of this configuration that you'll be able to find. Even the seat cover patterns were different from the new seats that AA was installing on the 738 / 762 / 763 / S80 at the time in Y. You wouldn't even think initially that it's AA until you see the kid wearing the AA branded headphones in the photo. Even the PTVs they installed in Y were different (and larger) than what they installed on the 777. So yes, pretty darn innovative and a shame they eventually removed them when they pulled they off TATL routes.

IIRC, I might've read somewhere that the A300s got PTVs installed firsthand because there were delays in 777 deliveries or something. If it wasn't that, there was some specific reason for it as to why they did so. Also, I think there were plans to put PTVs on all AA 763s but that got cancelled after 9/11.

I think you're right that aa installed this cabin as a temporary stop gap for 777 delays. It all makes sense. This was also when the A300 got the international first class with lambswool Weber sleepers. This all lasted very briefly though and when the initial 772s were delivered with the lie fiat seats (not the swivel seats yet), they put the A300 back to the standard config including the double bar coach blue cloth and Weber leather first.

I have another thread going about how aa did something similar with their initial 747 deliveries. The upper deck was briefly state rooms and it was the astroliner. There is only 1 photo in existence of that deck and 2 models. It only lasted 8 months before they changed them to the luxury liners and overhauled the upper deck to become a lounge (the one plastered all over the advertising).

Here is the Aztec on the atr. And I have seen seats from the md82, and dc10 covered in it (they're in this thread on an earlier page). I believe it was a brief experiment which they undid.

This was the 777 delivery cabin which was also brief before they redid it

They have a proclivity to change certain cabins very quickly it seems.

Thanks for this. Believe it or not, AA was well into receiving 777 deliveries in 2000-2001 and yet kept the TATL A306s active for a little while longer. They were definitely flying EWR-LHR on the A300 in Spring 2001.

Also check out this AA seating map for the 777 in 9/2001: http://www.departedflights.com/AA7770901.html

It seems the swivel First Class seats were on Transatlantic routes and the other "pod" 2-2-2 First Cass seats were designated for Transpacific. This was back when AA planned to launch SJC-TPE and was also flying SEA-NRT and SJC-NRT on 777s.

wernerga3
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Continental767 wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
Continental767 wrote:

Do any pictures exist of the A300 cabin with PTVs? I’ve never seen them. Also, I thought I read a long long time ago that a few of the newest 763s had PTVs for a short while, though they were removed shortly after. Is this accurate?

Found this one from the press. Nothing I could find from AA.

Super cool to see, thanks so much. Seems like a lot of effort to reconfigure the entire aircraft with IFE and then rip it out a few years later... very odd decision making in terms of cabin reconfigs.

It may have just been a test of sorts. That is common in the industry for them to try things out briefly. Although AA has a track record of these quick and not well documented cabins throughout the years. It is rather interesting to say the least. There are some common names though like Teague, and Weber who they were loyal to for some time.

PresRDC

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:49 pm

N649DL wrote:
It seems the swivel First Class seats were on Transatlantic routes and the other "pod" 2-2-2 First Cass seats were designated for Transpacific. This was back when AA planned to launch SJC-TPE and was also flying SEA-NRT and SJC-NRT on 777s.

Yup. They actually did commence service on the SJC-TPE route, but it was quickly abandoned. I think right after 9/11.

The Flagship Suites were primarily used on the transatlantic flights, but not exclusively. When ORD-PVG launched, they used Flagship Suite aircraft, albeit with substitutions from time-to-time. IIRC, DFW-KIX was also typically operated with Flagship Suite aircraft.

Also have several JFK-LHR and LHR-BOS flights on Pacific configuration aircraft.

I was very happy when the Pacific congifuration went away and I no longer had to plan flights with this in mind.

N649DL

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:59 pm

PresRDC wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Yup. They actually did commence service on the SJC-TPE route, but it was quickly abandoned. I think right after 9/11.

The Flagship Suites were primarily used on the transatlantic flights, but not exclusively. When ORD-PVG launched, they used Flagship Suite aircraft, albeit with substitutions from time-to-time. IIRC, DFW-KIX was also typically operated with Flagship Suite aircraft.

Also have several JFK-LHR and LHR-BOS flights on Pacific configuration aircraft.

I was very happy when the Pacific congifuration went away and I no longer had to plan flights with this in mind.

In 2001 AA also still had the M11s around. I think they were allocated all over the place before they were retired such as MIA/DFW to South America (no specific region).

Another theory could be that AA wasn't completely sure pre-9/11 what they wanted to do with TWA's aging 767-200/300ER fleet and wanted to keep all legacy AA long haul variants around for additional options (until they could figure out what they wanted to do). This was another factor as to why they got new 763 deliveries in 2003 as they replaced the ex-TWA 763s.

USAirALB

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 am

AA once had two 777 configurations:

-The Pacific configuration that had the "Coffin" flat bed F seats, Exit signage in Japanese, and a larger J cabin IIRC
-The Atlantic configuration had the Flagship swivel seats and a smaller J cabin (I may be getting this mixed up, but I know one had a larger J cabin)
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

wernerga3
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm

USAirALB wrote:
AA once had two 777 configurations:

-The Pacific configuration that had the "Coffin" flat bed F seats, Exit signage in Japanese, and a larger J cabin IIRC
-The Atlantic configuration had the Flagship swivel seats and a smaller J cabin (I may be getting this mixed up, but I know one had a larger J cabin)

Yeah but the coffin design seats were the initial deliveries. Then they started taking delivery of the flagship suites with swivel seats maybe a year later and it was pretty much industry exclusive at the time for a US airline to have that cool seat setup. You could even swivel it and eat facing your seat mate. I think at that point they put them on different routes.

But we're getting off topic here. The point of this thread is to determine what the initial 767 coach cabin was like. All blue or alternating like the DC10?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos