Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Fully Automated Jetbridge

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:34 pm

So I just stumbled across this press release from Wellington airport down here in NZ.

Does anyone know of any similar stuff being used elsewhere? I remember saying ages ago that this was one of the things I expected to come out of modern computer vision systems.

https://www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/new ... n-airport/

The world’s first fully automated aerobridge launches at Wellington Airport
5 Feb 2019

Wellington Airport now has a fully automated aerobridge docking system operational on one of its domestic gates and is the first airport in the world to use this technology.

The Intellidock system was created by Wellington-based company Airport Equipment. Once the aircraft has parked at its allocated gate, the sensor scans the aircraft door and automatically drives the bridge into position and locks into place.

According to Wellington Airport general manager of aeronautical operations Ayolt Wiertsema: “This new technology eliminates possible operator error and will speed up the arrivals process. It is fantastic that Wellington Airport is the first airport in the world using this technology developed by a local supplier”.

“It requires a lot of work behind the scenes, as you’re essentially setting up the working model for others. This type of automated technology will become the new standard in airport operations around the world in the next ten years.”

The system was successfully trialled with Air New Zealand and is now part of their standard daily operations.

Wiertsema adds: “It will improve turnaround times and ultimately result in a better and faster experience for passengers.”

Wellington Airport plans to roll out the automated docking system into other gates later this year.

santi319

Re: Fully Automated Jetbridge

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 pm

About time, we got driverless cars but still the jetbridges everywhere are super outdated..

Prost

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Because technology never fails.

WeatherPilot

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Prost wrote:

https://youtu.be/DSlwH6XDeDU

Prost

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Oh, thank you for that laugh! I really needed that today.

nws2002

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Didn't DEN have an automated jet bridge damage the wing of a UA 757?

alasizon

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 pm

Prost wrote:

The question is whether or not the failure rate of the automated jetbridge is less or more than the human equivalent. Given how many planes get damaged each year from operator error, it may be an improvement.

jworks158

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 pm

nws2002 wrote:

Sort of, I believe that was an overwing jetway https://www.denverpost.com/2007/10/30/u ... y-project/

hOMSaR

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Prost wrote:

Exactly. That’s why we don’t have fly-by-wire airplanes.

freakyrat

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 am

Some of the jetbridges in the US have computer guided docking based on the type aircraft parked at the gate. Gate 9 at SBN is like this.
The jetbridge operator selects the type aircraft and the computer knows how high to raise the bridge etc.

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:34 am

alasizon wrote:
Prost wrote:

The question is whether or not the failure rate of the automated jetbridge is less or more than the human equivalent. Given how many planes get damaged each year from operator error, it may be an improvement.

Pretty much this. If the cost of an automated airbridge overall is cheaper than a human operated one then it'll be put in more places. Total cost includes the number of accidents.

freakyrat wrote:
Some of the jetbridges in the US have computer guided docking based on the type aircraft parked at the gate. Gate 9 at SBN is like this.
The jetbridge operator selects the type aircraft and the computer knows how high to raise the bridge etc.

I can imagine existing system doing the basic positioning. But the press release on this sounds like it does everything from self detecting where the door is to fully sealing up.

BlatantEcho

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:12 am

You guys are all absolutely nuts if you don’t think every airport and airline in the world will want these in the next 10 years.
This elimates wasted time, risk of damage, and reduces staff costs.

To those people are silly enough to say things like ‘technology sometimes fails!! Scary technology!’ - you guys will be left so far behind.
Yes, new technology has to be tested and validated. yes, things do happen during that testing.
But, docking a jet bridge to an airplane has to be 100x easier than self driving cars - which are right around the corner.

This is awesome, and will certainly happen just like more and more ports have automated cranes to unload ships, etc.

Max Q

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:07 am

Outstanding idea, as long as the new protocol allows a FA to open the door this means no more waiting on a gate agent after you’ve parked with a plane load of rightfully impatient passengers

jetblueguy22

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:59 am

Prost wrote:

Exactly why I ride my horse to work everyday and wash my clothes in a river

32andBelow

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:26 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
You guys are all absolutely nuts if you don’t think every airport and airline in the world will want these in the next 10 years.

To those people are silly enough to say things like ‘technology sometimes fails!! Scary technology!’ - you guys will be left so far behind.
Yes, new technology has to be tested and validated. yes, things do happen during that testing.
But, docking a jet bridge to an airplane has to be 100x easier than self driving cars - which are right around the corner.

This is awesome, and will certainly happen just like more and more ports have automated cranes to unload ships, etc.

You’ll still need someone to hit the button. So what does this really save? Once the jet bridge driver gets it hooked then they can just be a regular gate agent so it doesn’t really save anything.

Blotto

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 am

It's about time.
Seriously, this can't be too hard. You exactly what plane you are dealing with. At least your parking guidance system knows it. So now you know where the door is. Cross check with camera. Good news, the door has to have a visual frame, so edge detection should be manageable. Use some distance detection and then write the algorithm. Maybe ask automobile OEMs, they sell automatic parking. I wonder why this took so long.

JAAlbert

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 am

nws2002 wrote:

I think it was a jet bridge that extended over the wing to a rear door. It dropped, damaging the wing. UA didn't wait for a report, they did away with the jetbridge immediately.

JAAlbert

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 am

BlatantEcho wrote:

Automated jet bridges will also encourage airlines to enplane widebody aircraft through multiple doors. I understand that one reason why airlines don't use two doors to board passengers is because they need an extra gate agent to operate the second jet bridge. If this is true, then an automated system will be more compelling for airlines.

BTV290

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 am

Let's not forget an agent also has to pop the door of the plane... So a human still has to be down there during docking. Same goes for multiple bridges on wide bodies. Still requires too agents if you don't want a significant lag between the opening of the two doors.

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 am

I think you could largely deal with those through processes and lights and such. Once the bridge is sure it's in a safe position some green lights go one to let the FA know to open up and double check.

Chances are an agent is still present and what this really allows is for the process to be kicked off while the gate agent checks and sets up other things. Also the reliability angle if you've done it right.

Tristarsteve

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:58 am

ARN had a fully automatic jetway on Gate F36 about 10 years ago. But it was the most unreliable gate on the airport. The sensors that steered it were always getting blocked, and it could not cope with ice and snow. The airport maintenance dept were on standby every time an aircraft docked!! I believe the automatics were disabled later.

WIederling

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:18 am

Tristarsteve wrote:
ARN had a fully automatic jetway on Gate F36 about 10 years ago. But it was the most unreliable gate on the airport. The sensors that steered it were always getting blocked, and it could not cope with ice and snow. The airport maintenance dept were on standby every time an aircraft docked!! I believe the automatics were disabled later.

No progress will ever be made.
If it doesn't work out of the box
never try to improve on it but drop it for all times.

Look at those videos taken during the DARPA autonomous driving challenges over the years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Grand_Challenge

Still remember the artificial vision and vehicle guidance work done at Volkswagen in the
second half of the 80ties. ( The group sat in the same lab that I had access to for work on my thesis.
another two students worked on "handshaking" minimized distance wagon train driving.)
Progress in that domain has shown real quantum leaps in the last decade or two.
Initial progress back in the 80ties and 90ties was real slow getting to grips on how artificial vision should work..

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:20 am

So I did a bit more searching and found the company's page on it. It also has a video about the system.

https://www.airport-equipment.com/intellidock/

And it's a lot more impressive than I expected. Sensors and a computer system that integrate with any existing jetbridge. And it's designed to work autonomously as soon as a plane rocks up to the gate. No gate staff needed.

Of course such a system will only work in countries where regulators would allow something that big to move by itself and airlines would have to update procedures.

Edit: And a local article with some video of it in action. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/innova ... sembarking

Lofty

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:46 am

One small issue is how would it work with Multi Use stands, when the jetty needs to be in the correct place before the stand guidance is switched on. I guess having watched the video the control room would have to move it first.

kalvado

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:38 am

Lofty wrote:
One small issue is how would it work with Multi Use stands, when the jetty needs to be in the correct place before the stand guidance is switched on. I guess having watched the video the control room would have to move it first.

It shouldn't be that difficult to learn the system how to tell one aircraft from the other, and where to expect the door.
The biggest thing that may be a problem is telling if chokes are there before movement starts - actual chokes as opposed to snow or trash.
And as far as I understand, remote control is anoverride option but not an actual requirement.

floridaflyboy

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm

BTV290 wrote:
Let's not forget an agent also has to pop the door of the plane... So a human still has to be down there during docking. Same goes for multiple bridges on wide bodies. Still requires too agents if you don't want a significant lag between the opening of the two doors.

That's a great point. Every carrier I'm aware of (with the exception of small regional jets without slides) has the agent open the aircraft door in order to reduce (almost eliminate) the chance of the escape slide blowing if the FA did not properly disarm the door.

For example, most aircraft have a mechanism where if opened from the outside, if the door is armed, it disarms as the agent lifts the handle. If opened from the inside, the slide deploys.

Blotto

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:57 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
BTV290 wrote:

That's a great point. Every carrier I'm aware of (with the exception of small regional jets without slides) has the agent open the aircraft door in order to reduce (almost eliminate) the chance of the escape slide blowing if the FA did not properly disarm the door.

For example, most aircraft have a mechanism where if opened from the outside, if the door is armed, it disarms as the agent lifts the handle. If opened from the inside, the slide deploys.

Not sure if my airline is the exception here, but doors are disarmed and opened by the FA from the inside after the bridge operator gives his ok. No agent required. Sure there still has to be someone who gives his ok to deboard, but that individual doesn't have to know how to operate a jetbridge. So operations are cheaper.

Tristarsteve

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:17 pm

In Europe the doors are usually opened by the cabin crew from the inside. This was done for safety to ensure the slide was disarmed before the door opened . A requirement on all B737 which have a manual girtbar.

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

kalvado wrote:
Lofty wrote:

It shouldn't be that difficult to learn the system how to tell one aircraft from the other, and where to expect the door.
The biggest thing that may be a problem is telling if chokes are there before movement starts - actual chokes as opposed to snow or trash.
And as far as I understand, remote control is anoverride option but not an actual requirement.

The system is described as being able to tell on the fly what the model of plane is before it even thinks of moving. This is hugely plausible with a database of model shapes and modern image recognition algorithms.

The functionality I would be interested to find if it exists yet or not is multiple bridges for one aircraft. I expect they haven't got to that point quite yet as that's a bit more involved and you'd cover the vast majority of gates and use cases with only having the front door.

One future thing I could totally see with this sort of technology is fore and aft bridges for your A320/B737 sized aircraft becoming common.

kalvado

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
The functionality I would be interested to find if it exists yet or not is multiple bridges for one aircraft. I expect they haven't got to that point quite yet as that's a bit more involved and you'd cover the vast majority of gates and use cases with only having the front door.

One future thing I could totally see with this sort of technology is fore and aft bridges for your A320/B737 sized aircraft becoming common.

We are talking about computer control of the jetbridge replacing human operator, not about new bridges. As there are very few, if any, rear bridges for narrowbodies - there is nothing to automate.
Or, if you will, whenever dual bridges are discussed on a.net, people pretty much agree that overwing portion is the hard part. It has to be a long cantilever structure - with variable length if different models even from the same family are involved. As far as I remember, WN deactivated dual bridges in ALB as they were setup for 737-700, and as they started to send more -800s, thing didn't work any more. So no, dual jetbridges are not really a thing here....

nikeherc

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Even the technology on old fashioned jet bridges failed. I remember two incidents in Newark in the 1970's where the automatic leveler on the loading bridges failed, the jet bridge jerked up and damaged the door on stretched DC-8s. That was simple relay and micro switch logic. I know that technology has improved, a huge amount, but this will be an interesting development to follow.

alasizon

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 pm

kalvado wrote:
We are talking about computer control of the jetbridge replacing human operator, not about new bridges. As there are very few, if any, rear bridges for narrowbodies - there is nothing to automate.
Or, if you will, whenever dual bridges are discussed on a.net, people pretty much agree that overwing portion is the hard part. It has to be a long cantilever structure - with variable length if different models even from the same family are involved. As far as I remember, WN deactivated dual bridges in ALB as they were setup for 737-700, and as they started to send more -800s, thing didn't work any more. So no, dual jetbridges are not really a thing here....

Dual bridges may have a possibility of a comeback at some point for NB but without the overwing component, it will just require two drive wheel and tunnel components for the rear bridge; the first to extend aft and then the second potion to extend inward to the aircraft. It'll be done at some point (even as a test run) as turn times need to improve but I don't see it coming back full steam due to space requirements.

floridaflyboy

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 pm

nikeherc wrote:
Even the technology on old fashioned jet bridges failed. I remember two incidents in Newark in the 1970's where the automatic leveler on the loading bridges failed, the jet bridge jerked up and damaged the door on stretched DC-8s. That was simple relay and micro switch logic. I know that technology has improved, a huge amount, but this will be an interesting development to follow.

True. The current jet bridges are excellent and very rarely fail without operator error. That said, I was working for an airline that had an aircraft at a brand new airport with brand new jet bridges; something malfunctioned on the jet bridge and it peeled the door of an A320 almost totally off, like a can of green beans. It was reparable of course, but it took some serious time and money.

kalvado

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 pm

alasizon wrote:
kalvado wrote:

Dual bridges may have a possibility of a comeback at some point for NB but without the overwing component, it will just require two drive wheel and tunnel components for the rear bridge; the first to extend aft and then the second potion to extend inward to the aircraft. It'll be done at some point (even as a test run) as turn times need to improve but I don't see it coming back full steam due to space requirements.

So are you talking about going under the wing or around the wing?
Under the wing arrangement may interfere with airframe service (and is there enough room under narrowbody wing?), and have a non-level (longer) trip.
going around the wing means large and expensive structure, assuming there is room at the gate to go around to begin with. We are talking about 60' component which needs to move completely out of the way to let the wing pass by.

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 pm

kalvado wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

I know all that. I'm talking about future development. If the size of the box is known and unlikely to ever change you can build a corridor or tunnel outside the box to a second automated jetbridge. What this tech will allow is jetbridges to be installed without having to worry about staffing levels among other things while increasing the customer experience and safety. Of course this would only really be explored if the tech continues to prove itself reliable and cost effective.

I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow or that it will absolutely happen. Just that it reopens that option for serious consideration.

alasizon

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:59 pm

kalvado wrote:
alasizon wrote:
kalvado wrote:

So are you talking about going under the wing or around the wing?
Under the wing arrangement may interfere with airframe service (and is there enough room under narrowbody wing?), and have a non-level (longer) trip.
going around the wing means large and expensive structure, assuming there is room at the gate to go around to begin with. We are talking about 60' component which needs to move completely out of the way to let the wing pass by.

Going around the wing would be the option. I'd assume it can probably collapse into about a 25'x25' area which is possible on some (not all) gates. Under the wing is just too much up and down for it to be a realistic option.

cumulushumilis

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:48 pm

A little bit of history around the OTW Over The Wing bridges. The first "modern" North American Prototype Over The Wing Thing was installed at YYC bridge D40 in 2002 which consisted of a radial drive forward bridge with a cantilevered back end. The bridge had a bad habit of either punching a hole in the wing or taking out the odd winglet or just not working at all. Built by Dew Engineering who is no longer in the bridge business it served as the prototype for the five in DEN and three in YVR. Interestingly all out of service. In terms of automation they were PLC powered.

I'm in agreement with the automation, it can definitely handle the job. The trouble is the reliability of the mechanical systems and the environments that they operate in. None the less more and more airports are integrating Advanced Visual Docking Guidance Systems A-VGDS and automated monitoring of bridge systems.
Last edited by cumulushumilis on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commpilot

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 pm

As someone who uses jetbridges everyday.....this is a terrible idea. I have used the super basic all the way up to half computerized fancy ones and they all break easily without warning.

ERJ170

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 am

Why can’t there be a sensor on the ground that determines when a plane has been chocked and based on the location of the chock, the jet ridge should automatically be able to know the plane type and dock itself.. or conversely scan the aircraft (probably need a 4D code).. just a thought..

Arion640

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:21 am

Tristarsteve wrote:
In Europe the doors are usually opened by the cabin crew from the inside. This was done for safety to ensure the slide was disarmed before the door opened . A requirement on all B737 which have a manual girtbar.

And you still have about 10 airport staff members standing in the jet way as you leave...

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:10 am

ERJ170 wrote:
Why can’t there be a sensor on the ground that determines when a plane has been chocked and based on the location of the chock, the jet ridge should automatically be able to know the plane type and dock itself.. or conversely scan the aircraft (probably need a 4D code).. just a thought..

No need for any codes on the aircraft. As long as the algorithms are set up to identify the models the gate is configured for then the algorithms handle the rest. Just like how many of us could identify the family of plane from a profile shot from just behind L1 to the nose. If anything this is simpler and more reliable than just that because you only have to handle a specific set of aircraft. And doors are pretty obvious.

As for the chocks I imagine it's working off the assumption that by the time it's docked to the aircraft it will have been chocked long ago. Plus I expect there will be safety algorithms to stop if the plane moves again and some big red emergency stop buttons down at the apron level. After all do current jetbridge operators verify visually and audibly that the chocks have been set before moving the jetbridge? Clearly the NZ aviation regulators are ok with how it works.

commpilot wrote:
As someone who uses jetbridges everyday.....this is a terrible idea. I have used the super basic all the way up to half computerized fancy ones and they all break easily without warning.

Yet here it is deployed and apparently went through the trial so well they're rolling it out to all the jetbridges at Wellington Airport. Maybe they're just built and maintained better here?

alasizon

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:58 am

Arion640 wrote:
Tristarsteve wrote:

And you still have about 10 airport staff members standing in the jet way as you leave...

I don't fly shorthaul within Europe, but I've never once seen more than one or two airline reps at the bottom of a jetway (not counting pending folks waiting with wheelchairs to assist those pax). The benefit is going to be more precise docking and less damage events; not a decrease in headcount.