ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:26 pm

***mods delete if already been discussed***

This is the LY thread

Fleet news:
Ex:More 788?
Mom for Asia?
773/x?
747 retirement

New possibile Destinations: ORD, GRU, RIO, more Asia/China, Australia(if possible) more Mideast if relationships improve as they look to be.

Enjoy!
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:43 pm

FYI--El Al has the 787-9, IIRC, not the 787-8.

I think it's probably only a matter of time before TLV-ORD is announced. It seems like everyone on this site wants that route to happen! ;)
 
PA12
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:46 pm

EZE?
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:48 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
***mods delete if already been discussed***

This is the LY thread

Fleet news:
Ex:More 788?
Mom for Asia?
773/x?
747 retirement

New possibile Destinations: ORD, GRU, RIO, more Asia/China, Australia(if possible) more Mideast if relationships improve as they look to be.

Enjoy!


Well ORD-TLV isnt a small market but one might assume that the fares are very low due to the number of people that use RJ and TK in the market. TLV can be a very price sensitive market.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5387
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Even if relations ever improve, I don't think we will see LY in any GCC country, the same way that LY does not fly to Turkey, Egypt or Jordan. It would be way more realistic to see Emirates, Etihad, Oman Air or Saudia flying to TLV; also using their airports as connecting hubs for TLV PAX.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:15 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Even if relations ever improve, I don't think we will see LY in any GCC country, the same way that LY does not fly to Turkey, Egypt or Jordan. It would be way more realistic to see Emirates, Etihad, Oman Air or Saudia flying to TLV; also using their airports as connecting hubs for TLV PAX.


Yeah, no, that is never going to happen. RJ flies to Tel Aviv, mainly to connect Palestinians with Israeli citizenship to the rest of the Arab world. There might be a few business contacts, but remember that Kuwait Airways dropped LHR-JFK rather than transport Israeli citizens (from a thread here on a.net), indicating that this situation isn't going to thaw anytime soon. Our grandchildren might still be discussing the same situation decades from now.

El Al's mission - regardless of whether it is privately owned or state-owned - will be to transport Israeli citizens to and from Israel. It will never be an Emirates, it will never be a global carrier, its routes will be defined by what the traveling public demands from its home carrier, with all other carriers picking up the demand for frequent fliers who don't want to travel on El Al. All new routes will have to show that El Al can make a profit by flying there, and if they can't, that route will have to be served with a one-stop via another location. New York City - TLV? Piece of cake. Argentina - TLV? Possible, but can El Al fly this route without bleeding money like the aftermath of a guillotine? We shall see.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:30 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

El Al's mission - regardless of whether it is privately owned or state-owned - will be to transport Israeli citizens to and from Israel. It will never be an Emirates, it will never be a global carrier, its routes will be defined by what the traveling public demands from its home carrier, with all other carriers picking up the demand for frequent fliers who don't want to travel on El Al. All new routes will have to show that El Al can make a profit by flying there, and if they can't, that route will have to be served with a one-stop via another location. New York City - TLV? Piece of cake. Argentina - TLV? Possible, but can El Al fly this route without bleeding money like the aftermath of a guillotine? We shall see.


This 1000 times over. LY is never going to be a big connecting airline. Ever.

LY will serve markets where there is significant demand to TLV and thats it.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 pm

FA9295 wrote:
FYI--El Al has the 787-9, IIRC, not the 787-8.

I think it's probably only a matter of time before TLV-ORD is announced. It seems like everyone on this site wants that route to happen! ;)
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 pm

FA9295 wrote:
FYI--El Al has the 787-9, IIRC, not the 787-8.

I think it's probably only a matter of time before TLV-ORD is announced. It seems like everyone on this site wants that route to happen! ;)


LY has both
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

PA12 wrote:
EZE?


Sorry I forgot I thought that they had flights to TLV
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Even if relations ever improve, I don't think we will see LY in any GCC country, the same way that LY does not fly to Turkey, Egypt or Jordan. It would be way more realistic to see Emirates, Etihad, Oman Air or Saudia flying to TLV; also using their airports as connecting hubs for TLV PAX.

True but they probably would fly to some, like Riyadh and Dubai
 
Galvan316
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:25 pm

From what I understand,

And this is 2nd hand information. LY was set to announce ORD, however it failed the very strict security protocols that Israel and El Al has in place for airports to be considered LY destinations.
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!
 
BritishB747
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
FYI--El Al has the 787-9, IIRC, not the 787-8.

I think it's probably only a matter of time before TLV-ORD is announced. It seems like everyone on this site wants that route to happen! ;)


LY has both


It will have both. I am not sure LY have taken delivery of any 787-8s yet, just 787-9s.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3
 
jcwr56
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Galvan316 wrote:
From what I understand,

And this is 2nd hand information. LY was set to announce ORD, however it failed the very strict security protocols that Israel and El Al has in place for airports to be considered LY destinations.


That's a pretty large grenade you just lobbed there. Any factual citations you can provide or just post to stir the pot?

See, I can do it too...

From what I understand, And this is 2nd hand information. EL AL was set to announce ORD, however in this case, it passed everything both Israel and EL AL needs in place but it was due to another city not approving what EL AL was looking for to make Chicago work. :stirthepot:
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm

BritishB747 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
FYI--El Al has the 787-9, IIRC, not the 787-8.

I think it's probably only a matter of time before TLV-ORD is announced. It seems like everyone on this site wants that route to happen! ;)


LY has both


It will have both. I am not sure LY have taken delivery of any 787-8s yet, just 787-9s.


Really I thought it was the other way around! Anyone think with the a380 gone maybe a 6-8 aircraft 747-8/777x order possible? Also would you think the nma would be ordered by LY

Please don’t just say “great another vla fanboy” because I think that they actually need some larger planes
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi

Does anyone think that one day eilat will become a major airport and have many intra Europe routes and maybe some long haul flights like to NYC. This is only hypothetical but would be cool to see
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8880
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:08 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
BritishB747 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:

LY has both


It will have both. I am not sure LY have taken delivery of any 787-8s yet, just 787-9s.


Really I thought it was the other way around! Anyone think with the a380 gone maybe a 6-8 aircraft 747-8/777x order possible? Also would you think the nma would be ordered by LY

Please don’t just say “great another vla fanboy” because I think that they actually need some larger planes


The first 788 is scheduled for later this year, LN935 so probably wont be delivered until late November/early December

It would be better for LY to order some 787-10's to cover the high density routes, keeping them to all 787's will keep the fleet efficient and flexible
Forum Moderator
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:09 pm

qf789 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
BritishB747 wrote:

It will have both. I am not sure LY have taken delivery of any 787-8s yet, just 787-9s.


Really I thought it was the other way around! Anyone think with the a380 gone maybe a 6-8 aircraft 747-8/777x order possible? Also would you think the nma would be ordered by LY

Please don’t just say “great another vla fanboy” because I think that they actually need some larger planes


The first 788 is scheduled for later this year, LN935 so probably wont be delivered until late November/early December

It would be better for LY to order some 787-10's to cover the high density routes, keeping them to all 787's will keep the fleet efficient and flexible


I don’t believe that the 787 10 has the capacity to do LA NYC Etc
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8880
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:

Really I thought it was the other way around! Anyone think with the a380 gone maybe a 6-8 aircraft 747-8/777x order possible? Also would you think the nma would be ordered by LY

Please don’t just say “great another vla fanboy” because I think that they actually need some larger planes


The first 788 is scheduled for later this year, LN935 so probably wont be delivered until late November/early December

It would be better for LY to order some 787-10's to cover the high density routes, keeping them to all 787's will keep the fleet efficient and flexible


I don’t believe that the 787 10 has the capacity to do LA NYC Etc


LAX is already covered by the 789, the route is flown 3 times a week so you would just add extra frequencies as the route matured, no need for a 787-10

NYC is well in range of the 787-10, UA will be using the 787-10 on EWR-TLV. While there will be less seats frequency can be increased to offset that. Additionally as Qantas has proved already the fuel cost of 1 747 is the equivalent of 2 787's, in a LY configuration if they ran 2 787's vs 1 744 they would add a significant amount of seats to a particular route. Furthermore using the 787 frequency can be adjusted much more easily to meet demand
Forum Moderator
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:27 pm

qf789 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The first 788 is scheduled for later this year, LN935 so probably wont be delivered until late November/early December

It would be better for LY to order some 787-10's to cover the high density routes, keeping them to all 787's will keep the fleet efficient and flexible


I don’t believe that the 787 10 has the capacity to do LA NYC Etc


LAX is already covered by the 789, the route is flown 3 times a week so you would just add extra frequencies as the route matured, no need for a 787-10

NYC is well in range of the 787-10, UA will be using the 787-10 on EWR-TLV. While there will be less seats frequency can be increased to offset that. Additionally as Qantas has proved already the fuel cost of 1 747 is the equivalent of 2 787's, in a LY configuration if they ran 2 787's vs 1 744 they would add a significant amount of seats to a particular route. Furthermore using the 787 frequency can be adjusted much more easily to meet demand


I agree but there is demand from JFK for a 747 multiple times especially with the Israeli tech boom and la could probably fill a daily 787 or 777
 
Galvan316
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:12 pm

jcwr56 wrote:

That's a pretty large grenade you just lobbed there. Any factual citations you can provide or just post to stir the pot?

See, I can do it too...

From what I understand, And this is 2nd hand information. EL AL was set to announce ORD, however in this case, it passed everything both Israel and EL AL needs in place but it was due to another city not approving what EL AL was looking for to make Chicago work. :stirthepot:


Definitely not trying to stir the pot, just reporting what was told to me.
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Galvan316 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

That's a pretty large grenade you just lobbed there. Any factual citations you can provide or just post to stir the pot?

See, I can do it too...

From what I understand, And this is 2nd hand information. EL AL was set to announce ORD, however in this case, it passed everything both Israel and EL AL needs in place but it was due to another city not approving what EL AL was looking for to make Chicago work. :stirthepot:


Definitely not trying to stir the pot, just reporting what was told to me.


Can you give us a source or is it confidential;)
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:31 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone think that one day eilat will become a major airport and have many intra Europe routes and maybe some long haul flights like to NYC. This is only hypothetical but would be cool to see


Nope definitely not.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
ORD Boy 2
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2000 12:25 pm

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Considering LY used to fly ORD, I find this to be well, unreliable without sourcing.

ORDfan101 wrote:
Galvan316 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

That's a pretty large grenade you just lobbed there. Any factual citations you can provide or just post to stir the pot?

See, I can do it too...

From what I understand, And this is 2nd hand information. EL AL was set to announce ORD, however in this case, it passed everything both Israel and EL AL needs in place but it was due to another city not approving what EL AL was looking for to make Chicago work. :stirthepot:


Definitely not trying to stir the pot, just reporting what was told to me.


Can you give us a source or is it confidential;)
 
User avatar
Melbourne
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone think that one day eilat will become a major airport and have many intra Europe routes and maybe some long haul flights like to NYC. This is only hypothetical but would be cool to see


Well intra-European flights from a city that is in the Middle East, how's that possible?
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Melbourne wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone think that one day eilat will become a major airport and have many intra Europe routes and maybe some long haul flights like to NYC. This is only hypothetical but would be cool to see


Well intra-European flights from a city that is in the Middle East, how's that possible?


Sorry I’m so tired I meant flights to more places in Europe
 
nomorerjs
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:24 am

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:21 pm

LY does not have 788s yet. Reliable sources on this forum say ORD will happen when they arrive. Probably a 2020 launch.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: El Al future

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:27 pm

nomorerjs wrote:
LY does not have 788s yet. Reliable sources on this forum say ORD will happen when they arrive. Probably a 2020 launch.


Are they the same sources that said a ORD-GIG flight was imminent?
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
nomorerjs
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:24 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
LY does not have 788s yet. Reliable sources on this forum say ORD will happen when they arrive. Probably a 2020 launch.


Are they the same sources that said a ORD-GIG flight was imminent?


I never said ORD - GIG was imminent. Please show me where I did.

Read the reliable posted on here (there is an LY poster here).

I guess until IAH gets TLV, you’ll continue to attack anyone and everyone.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:29 am

El AL really needs to add PHL. Lakewood which is less than an hour away has the second largest Jewish population on the east coast. It includes over 60,000 Jewish people. The trek to PHL is much easier from Lakewood then too EWR or even JFK. It would easily be a money maker on a 787-8 or -9.
 
StudiodeKadent
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 am

ORDfan101 wrote:
Australia(if possible)


Given that El Al would have to fly a rather indirect route to avoid the airspace of most other middle-Eastern states, its highly unlikely that they could make SYD or MEL even with a 787-9.

Perth and Adelaide may be geographically/range-wise feasible but premium traffic doesn't like to connect.

Let us be honest... the demand for Australia to Israel would mostly be Jewish people with substantial ties to Israel, tech/financial sectors (and yes, there's overlap between this category and the previous category), and religious pilgrims. The only viable cities for nonstops would be SYD and MEL, and El Al's 789 probably could make neither and only MIGHT be able to make at least one of the two cities with overfly rights that El Al presently lacks.

QF's 787-9 could make the distance ex. SYD or ex. MEL, and its more likely that they could overfly Arab airspace to get to Tel Aviv. But Qantas' 787-9 has a relatively high premium LOPA compared to El Al's. Could they fill the jet reliably and regularly? And why would QF use such a jet on that particular route when US and Asia may be more profitable?

For TLV - Australia nonstop, I can see PERHAPS an El Al 788 to PER, or maybe at a stretch QF 787-9s with an El Al codeshare. But honestly, it seems that El Al should just fly to Singapore and codeshare with QF if it wants to have stronger Australian presence (honestly I'm surprised El Al doesn't fly to Singapore already).
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:54 am

nomorerjs wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
LY does not have 788s yet. Reliable sources on this forum say ORD will happen when they arrive. Probably a 2020 launch.


Are they the same sources that said a ORD-GIG flight was imminent?


I never said ORD - GIG was imminent. Please show me where I did.

Read the reliable posted on here (there is an LY poster here).

I guess until IAH gets TLV, you’ll continue to attack anyone and everyone.


IAH isn’t ever going to get TLV. Im Lebanese anyway. I wouldn’t set food in Israel because then I couldn’t go to Lebanon. I still keep up with their aviation though. Either way I’m the first one to tell IAH posters they are being ridiculous when they say that IAH will get routes like HKG or ICN.

And yeah, there was a poster on here that went by the screen name Globalcabetoge used to weave these wild tails about “relaible sources” and how UA or AA was going to launch GIG and ICN among others. I’ve also seen other posters from Chicago that stated SV and KU we’re launching ORD.

So yeah I take what people who claim “reliable sources” with skepticism.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
Cadet985
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:45 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:02 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
El AL really needs to add PHL. Lakewood which is less than an hour away has the second largest Jewish population on the east coast. It includes over 60,000 Jewish people. The trek to PHL is much easier from Lakewood then too EWR or even JFK. It would easily be a money maker on a 787-8 or -9.


Plus, there is a sizable Jewish population in PHL and the surrounding area.

But even if LY came to PHL, odds are fairly low that I’d fly them again after one of my last flights with them.

Marc
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:07 am

Honestly tlv to ORD is probably going to happen by the end of the year either on UA or LY
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:19 am

ORDfan101 wrote:
Honestly tlv to ORD is probably going to happen by the end of the year either on UA or LY


Based on?
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8880
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:39 am

StudiodeKadent wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
Australia(if possible)


Given that El Al would have to fly a rather indirect route to avoid the airspace of most other middle-Eastern states, its highly unlikely that they could make SYD or MEL even with a 787-9.

Perth and Adelaide may be geographically/range-wise feasible but premium traffic doesn't like to connect.

Let us be honest... the demand for Australia to Israel would mostly be Jewish people with substantial ties to Israel, tech/financial sectors (and yes, there's overlap between this category and the previous category), and religious pilgrims. The only viable cities for nonstops would be SYD and MEL, and El Al's 789 probably could make neither and only MIGHT be able to make at least one of the two cities with overfly rights that El Al presently lacks.

QF's 787-9 could make the distance ex. SYD or ex. MEL, and its more likely that they could overfly Arab airspace to get to Tel Aviv. But Qantas' 787-9 has a relatively high premium LOPA compared to El Al's. Could they fill the jet reliably and regularly? And why would QF use such a jet on that particular route when US and Asia may be more profitable?

For TLV - Australia nonstop, I can see PERHAPS an El Al 788 to PER, or maybe at a stretch QF 787-9s with an El Al codeshare. But honestly, it seems that El Al should just fly to Singapore and codeshare with QF if it wants to have stronger Australian presence (honestly I'm surprised El Al doesn't fly to Singapore already).


A lot what you have mentioned is likely not going to happen. FWIW Qantas and El Al already have a code share agreement in place with LY codesharing on QF's BKK-SYD and HKG-Australia services while QF codeshares on LY's Bkk-TLV and HKG-TLV services
Forum Moderator
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
Honestly tlv to ORD is probably going to happen by the end of the year either on UA or LY


Based on?


Demand
 
ORDfan101
Topic Author
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:00 am

qf789 wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
Australia(if possible)


Given that El Al would have to fly a rather indirect route to avoid the airspace of most other middle-Eastern states, its highly unlikely that they could make SYD or MEL even with a 787-9.

Perth and Adelaide may be geographically/range-wise feasible but premium traffic doesn't like to connect.

Let us be honest... the demand for Australia to Israel would mostly be Jewish people with substantial ties to Israel, tech/financial sectors (and yes, there's overlap between this category and the previous category), and religious pilgrims. The only viable cities for nonstops would be SYD and MEL, and El Al's 789 probably could make neither and only MIGHT be able to make at least one of the two cities with overfly rights that El Al presently lacks.

QF's 787-9 could make the distance ex. SYD or ex. MEL, and its more likely that they could overfly Arab airspace to get to Tel Aviv. But Qantas' 787-9 has a relatively high premium LOPA compared to El Al's. Could they fill the jet reliably and regularly? And why would QF use such a jet on that particular route when US and Asia may be more profitable?

For TLV - Australia nonstop, I can see PERHAPS an El Al 788 to PER, or maybe at a stretch QF 787-9s with an El Al codeshare. But honestly, it seems that El Al should just fly to Singapore and codeshare with QF if it wants to have stronger Australian presence (honestly I'm surprised El Al doesn't fly to Singapore already).


A lot what you have mentioned is likely not going to happen. FWIW Qantas and El Al already have a code share agreement in place with LY codesharing on QF's BKK-SYD and HKG-Australia services while QF codeshares on LY's Bkk-TLV and HKG-TLV services


I did not know about this codeshare! It’ll really help me plan my vacation to Australia now! Thanks!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8880
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 am

ORDfan101 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:

Given that El Al would have to fly a rather indirect route to avoid the airspace of most other middle-Eastern states, its highly unlikely that they could make SYD or MEL even with a 787-9.

Perth and Adelaide may be geographically/range-wise feasible but premium traffic doesn't like to connect.

Let us be honest... the demand for Australia to Israel would mostly be Jewish people with substantial ties to Israel, tech/financial sectors (and yes, there's overlap between this category and the previous category), and religious pilgrims. The only viable cities for nonstops would be SYD and MEL, and El Al's 789 probably could make neither and only MIGHT be able to make at least one of the two cities with overfly rights that El Al presently lacks.

QF's 787-9 could make the distance ex. SYD or ex. MEL, and its more likely that they could overfly Arab airspace to get to Tel Aviv. But Qantas' 787-9 has a relatively high premium LOPA compared to El Al's. Could they fill the jet reliably and regularly? And why would QF use such a jet on that particular route when US and Asia may be more profitable?

For TLV - Australia nonstop, I can see PERHAPS an El Al 788 to PER, or maybe at a stretch QF 787-9s with an El Al codeshare. But honestly, it seems that El Al should just fly to Singapore and codeshare with QF if it wants to have stronger Australian presence (honestly I'm surprised El Al doesn't fly to Singapore already).


A lot what you have mentioned is likely not going to happen. FWIW Qantas and El Al already have a code share agreement in place with LY codesharing on QF's BKK-SYD and HKG-Australia services while QF codeshares on LY's Bkk-TLV and HKG-TLV services


I did not know about this codeshare! It’ll really help me plan my vacation to Australia now! Thanks!


Here is the press release announced about a year ago

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... rtnership/

LY also codeshare's on SYD-JNB while QF codeshares on LY's TLV-JNB
Forum Moderator
 
JFLANY
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:29 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
El AL really needs to add PHL. Lakewood which is less than an hour away has the second largest Jewish population on the east coast. It includes over 60,000 Jewish people. The trek to PHL is much easier from Lakewood then too EWR or even JFK. It would easily be a money maker on a 787-8 or -9.


While this may be true, on balance the VFR/religitourism market demand has been met by existing services for many years. TLV’s current growth is driven by business travel/tech/trade, Israeli economy mimic growth, and, importantly, secular tourism. I don’t think IAH, ATL or any hub with a strong business passenger base is a stretch for TLV. I don’t know what level of premium traffic flows over PHL, but I’m certain it is not the local Jewish population that will make or break the route.
 
User avatar
thekorean
Posts: 1767
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:45 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Are they the same sources that said a ORD-GIG flight was imminent?


I never said ORD - GIG was imminent. Please show me where I did.

Read the reliable posted on here (there is an LY poster here).

I guess until IAH gets TLV, you’ll continue to attack anyone and everyone.


IAH isn’t ever going to get TLV. Im Lebanese anyway. I wouldn’t set food in Israel because then I couldn’t go to Lebanon. I still keep up with their aviation though. Either way I’m the first one to tell IAH posters they are being ridiculous when they say that IAH will get routes like HKG or ICN.

And yeah, there was a poster on here that went by the screen name Globalcabetoge used to weave these wild tails about “relaible sources” and how UA or AA was going to launch GIG and ICN among others. I’ve also seen other posters from Chicago that stated SV and KU we’re launching ORD.

So yeah I take what people who claim “reliable sources” with skepticism.

KE did try IAH-ICN while back to be fair. Unless you are saying UA will never lauch IAH-ICN.
 
Natesantiago88
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:58 am

Will LY ever start flying daily or will it always be 6x weekly?
 
acentauri
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:09 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
El AL really needs to add PHL. Lakewood which is less than an hour away has the second largest Jewish population on the east coast. It includes over 60,000 Jewish people. The trek to PHL is much easier from Lakewood then too EWR or even JFK. It would easily be a money maker on a 787-8 or -9.

If EL AL ever started PHL, Parker would have a :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:14 am

Are there chances for a TLV-GRU-EZE or TLV-GIG-EZE to happen sometime in the near future?
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
ME720
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:42 am

ORDfan101 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Even if relations ever improve, I don't think we will see LY in any GCC country, the same way that LY does not fly to Turkey, Egypt or Jordan. It would be way more realistic to see Emirates, Etihad, Oman Air or Saudia flying to TLV; also using their airports as connecting hubs for TLV PAX.

True but they probably would fly to some, like Riyadh and Dubai


Not gonna happen before a comprehensive peace agreement in the region, including an establishment of a viable Palestinian state. Improved relations with some Persian gulf countries will not lead to open and diplomatic relations. Public opinion in the Middle East even in the gulf will not accept before the Palestinian issue is resolved, and that can take decades.
 
Cadet985
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:45 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 pm

[*]
Natesantiago88 wrote:
Will LY ever start flying daily or will it always be 6x weekly?


It’ll always be 6x weekly because of the ultra religious share of clientele.

That said, some of their aircraft do fly on the Sabbath, but under different callsigns and numbers.

Marc
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:41 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
Honestly tlv to ORD is probably going to happen by the end of the year either on UA or LY


Based on?


Demand


So what do you think the PDEW and average paid fares are in this market? If you don’t know the answers to those questions, then you have to admit you don’t know what the demand is.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
jcwr56
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:50 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
ORDfan101 wrote:
Honestly tlv to ORD is probably going to happen by the end of the year either on UA or LY


Based on?


It won't happen in 2019. That window of opportunity has closed.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5387
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:08 pm

ME720 wrote:
Not gonna happen before a comprehensive peace agreement in the region, including an establishment of a viable Palestinian state. Improved relations with some Persian gulf countries will not lead to open and diplomatic relations. Public opinion in the Middle East even in the gulf will not accept before the Palestinian issue is resolved, and that can take decades.


Why not?. Israel has flights with Turkey, Egypt and Jordan.

Of course I don't see Israel having flights with more extremist countries like Lebanon, Qatar or Iran any time soon (unless things change a lot), but progressive countries in the Arabian Gulf like the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, UAE or Oman seem feasible in the near future.
 
Luftymatt
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: El Al future

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm

El Al are re-starting Manchester (UK) three times per week from May this year with a 737-800, after stopping in 2002.
chase the sun

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos