BWIAirport
Topic Author

United expands domestically at DEN

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:15 pm

https://twitter.com/united/status/10961 ... 23136?s=21

Apologies if this has been discussed.
United announced today the addition of DEN-SYR/PWM/BTV/GSP/RSW/PNS/SAV. I haven’t seen any information other than this tweet.
I can’t help but think this is a response to F9’s recent expansion frenzy at DEN.
Next flight: August 1: WN2002 BWI-MSY B737
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

foxecho

Re: United expands domestically at DEN

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Sounds like UA is going head to head with F9, F9 flies to DEN from here in SYR during summer months, will be nice to have some more flights headed west from here...

Andrew
..uh, we'll need that to live......

ibthebigd

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:23 pm

I was hoping for LEX FWA and SBN

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

maps4ltd

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:23 pm

BTV has been announced.

SYR is surprising, but not too surprising, given that ALB and BUF are both served by F9 and WN and F9 recently started it.

PWM is surprising, and I hope it does well as a summer seasonal.

GSP is not too surprising, one of those "retaliation markets" served by F9.

I was personally surprised to see that RSW wasn't already served from DEN, especially since F9 and WN serve it.

PNS makes sense is in the same boat as RSW service-wise, and fits in with UA's earlier announcement of DEN-VPS.

SAV was a bit of a surprise, current seeing infrequent seasonal F9 service.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

maps4ltd

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:25 pm

I think ROC is another logical add for F9, WN, and/or UA.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

SurfandSnow

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:27 pm

UA has been (seasonally) flying DEN-RSW for years. Maybe it will now be a year round service?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

jasoncrh

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Yes. Den-rsw is seeing a seasonal expansion. It’s been winter only for about 5 years now. Going into summer now!

jplatts

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 pm

There are still some more nonstop routes that could be added by UA at DEN in order to better compete against F9 at DEN, including DEN-ALB, DEN-BMI, DEN-BUF, DEN-GRB, DEN-HRL, DEN-MDT, DEN-JAN, DEN-LFT, DEN-MOB, DEN-MYR, and DEN-PVD.

I think that UA will likely add at least DEN-BUF and DEN-PVD nonstop service since (a) BUF and PVD are located in two of the largest markets that don't currently have nonstop service out of DEN on UA and (b) UA recently added nonstop service to additional East Coast destinations out of DEN in order to better compete against F9 on DEN to East Coast routes.

Will UA add any additional nonstop routes out of DEN like the ones mentioned above?

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm

In all the years I lived in Bakersfield, getting BFL-DEN service never lasted more than the briefest of times. United had many different routings of DEN-BFL, including in 1986 BFL-FAT-DEN, DEN-BFL-FAT-DEN and DEN-FAT-BFL, followed by DEN-BFL-FAT-SFO, followed by, "yeah, no more BFL-DEN". Perhaps they had to compete with AA at DFW for domestic service, perhaps Continental's short-lived major DEN expansion in 1987 played a role - who knows?

The irony of all this is that now BFL-DEN is now the most stable route for connections to the rest of the U.S., at least until the subsidy runs out on BFL-DFW, and the route is pulled - again. And with this announcement of more service, more connecting opportunities exist for BFL flyers at DEN than ever before.

Rock on, United!!

mhkansan

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Still waiting on DEN-MHK! (We are isolated from the failures of FOE and not an EAS market like SLN, if United route planners read a.net!)

N649DL

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:26 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
https://twitter.com/united/status/1096103041000923136?s=21

Apologies if this has been discussed.
United announced today the addition of DEN-SYR/PWM/BTV/GSP/RSW/PNS/SAV. I haven’t seen any information other than this tweet.
I can’t help but think this is a response to F9’s recent expansion frenzy at DEN.

Wow, I called DEN-PWM last week after the BTV expansion but didn't think it would happen so soon. DEN-SYR also makes sense, as there are lots of Upstate NY transplants in CO.

FA9295

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:19 pm

I would have guessed DEN-GSO before DEN-GSP... Seems kind of weird that they would go for the much smaller market first.

Trk1

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Please note that GSP has larger passenger counts than GSO by over a half million per year. Non stop on UAL to Den is great news.

Tan Flyr

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:39 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
In all the years I lived in Bakersfield, getting BFL-DEN service never lasted more than the briefest of times. United had many different routings of DEN-BFL, including in 1986 BFL-FAT-DEN, DEN-BFL-FAT-DEN and DEN-FAT-BFL, followed by DEN-BFL-FAT-SFO, followed by, "yeah, no more BFL-DEN". Perhaps they had to compete with AA at DFW for domestic service, perhaps Continental's short-lived major DEN expansion in 1987 played a role - who knows?

The irony of all this is that now BFL-DEN is now the most stable route for connections to the rest of the U.S., at least until the subsidy runs out on BFL-DFW, and the route is pulled - again. And with this announcement of more service, more connecting opportunities exist for BFL flyers at DEN than ever before.

Rock on, United!!

Unless I have missed something, I cannot understand why UA doesn't make at least 1 of the R/T DEN-FAT a mainline flight..surely they could fill a 319 to a profitable level.

gsoflyer

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Trk1 wrote:
Please note that GSP has larger passenger counts than GSO by over a half million per year. Non stop on UAL to Den is great news.

This is true, it is still a small market which is true. GSP must have a local United manager which is proactive. GSO's manager has been notorious for keeping GSO at a minimum which is why GSO doesn;t have DEN or IAH.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Tan Flyr wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Rock on, United!!

Unless I have missed something, I cannot understand why UA doesn't make at least 1 of the R/T DEN-FAT a mainline flight..surely they could fill a 319 to a profitable level.

Fill it? Yes. Profitably? Maybe not. The bean counters are watching every seat cost on every single airplane and are always on the look out for changes in demand that will require an upgauge of aircraft. Frequency will always be king over larger aircraft.

If you do see mainline return to FAT, I would lay money that it is only to park it at FAT overnight, and it will make a very early morning departure back to a "constrained" airport for overnight parking, like SFO.

What I don't get how Frontier is "competing" against United on this route - UA can connect passengers all day at DEN, while Frontier can only fill the A320 with O&D passengers, with only connections to PHL, TPA, and RSW being available as red-eyes on F9. The next Frontier flight departs DEN for MSY at 6:30 AM, meaning everything else is an overnight connection - NO THANKS!!

FATFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Tan Flyr wrote:

Fill it? Yes. Profitably? Maybe not. The bean counters are watching every seat cost on every single airplane and are always on the look out for changes in demand that will require an upgauge of aircraft. Frequency will always be king over larger aircraft.

If you do see mainline return to FAT, I would lay money that it is only to park it at FAT overnight, and it will make a very early morning departure back to a "constrained" airport for overnight parking, like SFO.

What I don't get how Frontier is "competing" against United on this route - UA can connect passengers all day at DEN, while Frontier can only fill the A320 with O&D passengers, with only connections to PHL, TPA, and RSW being available as red-eyes on F9. The next Frontier flight departs DEN for MSY at 6:30 AM, meaning everything else is an overnight connection - NO THANKS!!

UA is upgauging the seasonal ORD-FAT-ORD from last year's E75 to an A319 this year, it doesn't overnight but returns to ORD the same night. So there is mainline potential.

There may be potential at DEN for more seats, it depends on the network connections.

Meantime this summer, FAT-SFO will be 4 CRJs; FAT-LAX is 3 CRJs and 1 E75; DEN-FAT-DEN will see 1 CR7 along with 3 CRJs replacing the current all-CRJ schedule.

UA this summer seems to want to use mainline aircraft to route more eastbound travel from FAT via ORD and overfly DEN.

Frontier does show that there is a Fresno demographic that will fill aircraft instead of being a drive-away to LAX/SFO/SJC/etc. Even with extended connection times there are people making the choice.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

FlyPeoria

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:42 pm

jplatts wrote:
DEN-BMI

DEN-PIA is more likely. PIA officials have been lobbying for its return since the route was dropped in January 2015.

DBCooper

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:45 pm

I think it is fascinating that F9 has become UA's de facto route planning department ex-DEN! Appears to show that UA's team can't think outside of the box.

-DBC

Frontier14

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:03 pm

DBCooper wrote:
I think it is fascinating that F9 has become UA's de facto route planning department ex-DEN! Appears to show that UA's team can't think outside of the box.

-DBC

aaaahh shucks :shhh: , thanks for throwing us a bone.

Frontier 14

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:08 pm

DEN-BTV i thought they announced that as Saturday only. Looks like they already raised it to Saturday and Sunday.

Judge1310

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 pm

gsoflyer wrote:
Trk1 wrote:

This is true, it is still a small market which is true. GSP must have a local United manager which is proactive. GSO's manager has been notorious for keeping GSO at a minimum which is why GSO doesn;t have DEN or IAH.

That's not how route planning works...the local station manager has little to nothing to do with which routes get deployed out of their station...

jetmatt777

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
gsoflyer wrote:
Trk1 wrote:

That's not how route planning works...the local station manager has little to nothing to do with which routes get deployed out of their station...

Yep. They even have very little power over real estate (like acquiring gates, ticket counter space, etc.). They are more for manpower administration on a local level. They typically don't get any extra information about route financials either, although the may receive some general non-specific info. The station manager concept is a lot less than what people on here think it is.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos