Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ac33e
Topic Author

YQB US Pre-Clearance Facility

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 pm

So as Routes Americas was taking place in Quebec City, it was announced that there was an agreement reached to implement US Customs at the airport, thereby making flights coming from YQB as domestic when landing in the US. Over the past few years, most of the US3 cut back service (Delta withdrew completely) and AC does not cross the border.

Interesting to see what is planned for this.

Dominion301

Re: YQB US Pre-Clearance Facility

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:19 am

More preclearance was agreed upon when Obama was still Pres. I thought I read the other day that YQB’s facility is now under construction?

YYZORD

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:49 am

Hopefully YTZ gets their preclearance facility in same time like YQB. I could imagine flying PD from YTZ to LGA or DCA! YQB could see LGA and BOS flights from DL.

MIflyer12

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:55 am

I would expect that most of the U.S. airports that have any reasonable chance of supporting a YQB flight already have decently-sized Customs facilities - with LGA as an obvious exception. I can't see pre-clearance as a game-changer.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:15 pm

As others have said, YQB's US network is minuscule compared to other airports that have US pre clearance. It's not in AC's plans to start YQB-US service. Besides, AC has little to benefit from it, as US CBP in YQB would favour US carriers, as connection times through their hubs will improve. That works against AC's goal to syphon YQB-US passengers through YUL or YYZ.

Those US customs agents are going to find the days pretty long in YQB.

Pre clearance at YTZ makes more sense, as that airport handles close to 3 million passengers a year, vs 1.7 for YQB, and has more US service.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

ac33e
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
As others have said, YQB's US network is minuscule compared to other airports that have US pre clearance. It's not in AC's plans to start YQB-US service. Besides, AC has little to benefit from it, as US CBP in YQB would favour US carriers, as connection times through their hubs will improve. That works against AC's goal to syphon YQB-US passengers through YUL or YYZ.

Those US customs agents are going to find the days pretty long in YQB.

Pre clearance at YTZ makes more sense, as that airport handles close to 3 million passengers a year, vs 1.7 for YQB, and has more US service.

And YQB is marketing this as good for tourism lol

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:

Because PD is so business-focused and flies to less busy US airports at less busy times, I’m not sure how helpful preclearance is for US passengers. Those with Global Entry sail through no matter. It is more helpful to people with NEXUS, who IINM can only use Global Entry at preclearance airports.

If I had my choice, I would much prefer that YTZ figure out how to transfer transborder to domestic bags like YYZ does. That’s the one thing that slows down the connecting experience.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

yeginleduc

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Seems like a waste of money, staff and a facility to open pre-clearance at YQB. IM counting 3 x daily to EWR on UA today and a charter today on TS. Is that really worth it or am I missing something?

I flew in and out of YQB late last year and the new terminal is beautiful but for the amount of flights and aircraft they handle it doesn't seem like it needs to be that big.

Anyways... best wishes for them to sustain it and I hope it works out!

Orcair

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Because PD is so business-focused and flies to less busy US airports at less busy times, I’m not sure how helpful preclearance is for US passengers. Those with Global Entry sail through no matter. It is more helpful to people with NEXUS, who IINM can only use Global Entry at preclearance airports.

NEXUS cardholders can use intra-US Global Entry machines, but must use their passport instead of their NEXUS card. Their PASS ID is tied to it.
Flown on: DH3 DH4 CR2 CR7 CRA CR9 E75 E90 AR1 319 320 321 333 343 346 733 735 736 737 738 7M8 739 752 762 763 788 789 772 77E 77L 77W 744

YYZORD

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 am

DL for sure will add LGA-YQB, I am certain!

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:27 am

Some airline will lauch LGA if there is pre clearance, that is almost a given. AC or DL will do it.

I bet we see UA boost EWR also, will make connections alot more reliable, easier ,and better.

qm001

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

If I had my choice, I would much prefer that YTZ figure out how to transfer transborder to domestic bags like YYZ does. That’s the one thing that slows down the connecting experience.

Not sure where you're getting this from, but with 14 flights a day to EWR, 8 to MDW, 4 to IAD and 6 to BOS, PD is business focused on their US routes, but if you have ever landed at EWR anytime between 14h00 and 19h00, and are not in possession of a US or Canadian passport, you will know that this is torture for anyone, let alone an exec of any kind! Pre-clearance is essential at YTZ, and once in place, I am certainly you will see significantly more US cities operated from YTZ, like PHL, DCA(IAD would almost certainly move over), PVD to name a few! I also expect frequencies to BOS to be upped!
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

HVNandrew

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Not to veer completely off topic from YQB, but the talk about PD shifting a bunch of their flights from EWR to LGA once pre-clearance is in place will have to clear a major hurdle - slots and where they could get them. It won't be from DL (given their relationship with WS). I doubt any of the other airlines would be willing to part with, except for possibly B6 given their codeshare - but it's not like B6 is sitting on slots at LGA that they are looking to unload. And PD would need quite a few slots. They currently fly 9x daily to EWR, and as others have pointed out, they are catering to business travel on that route and will need to keep up frequency in NY to remain competitive. Even if they managed to obtain a few slots (say...enough for 3x daily), they would still have to keep quite a few or even all of their current flights at EWR to give business travelers a robust schedule. I'm not sure LGA would give them much or if a split operation would be worth it.

Back to YQB, I don't think the preclearance facility will be as useless as some think. It could even open up service to other markets that have full customs facilities, as logistically it is just easier for airlines (especially US airlines) to operate flights into Canadian airports with preclearance. LGA service would be almost a given IMO, probably from DL. I could also see DL restarting BOS service. AA to DCA would also be a possibility. It won't be like YYZ or YUL...but it will serve its purpose.

MIflyer12

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:43 pm

YYZORD wrote:
DL for sure will add LGA-YQB, I am certain!

Certain? DL is slot-constrained at LGA. I'm not sure that YQB is better than every other potential use of a slot.

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:41 pm

qm001 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Not sure where you're getting this from, but with 14 flights a day to EWR, 8 to MDW, 4 to IAD and 6 to BOS, PD is business focused on their US routes, but if you have ever landed at EWR anytime between 14h00 and 19h00, and are not in possession of a US or Canadian passport, you will know that this is torture for anyone, let alone an exec of any kind! Pre-clearance is essential at YTZ, and once in place, I am certainly you will see significantly more US cities operated from YTZ, like PHL, DCA(IAD would almost certainly move over), PVD to name a few! I also expect frequencies to BOS to be upped!

Access to DCA and PVD is unquestionably a benefit of preclearance, but I’m skeptical that PD can get the slots it needs to move over to DCA or LGA regardless of preclearance. Moreover, PD isn’t going to attract a lot of non-US/Canadian passport holders. And PVD? How in the world would that work, and in place of what existing service?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

qm001

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:38 pm

No ways is PD giving up EWR in favor of LGA, especially if Pre-Clearance arrives! PVD is one of the cities I have heard bandied about, but not the only one! I am pretty sure that PD will find the slots, there are already plans in motion!
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

yeginleduc

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm

It would have to be DL or WS doing the LGA to YQB as it wouldn't be in the best interest of AC's strategy to overfly their hubs.

What is the smallest by seat capacity at the moment for USCBP pre-clearance? is it SNN? with a daily 318 and 752.

Anyways, I figure there has to be a minimum number to make this setup worth it for all the parties involved... Unless you are AUH and just have it for the prestige. :)

Dominion301

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:47 pm

yeginleduc wrote:
It would have to be DL or WS doing the LGA to YQB as it wouldn't be in the best interest of AC's strategy to overfly their hubs.

What is the smallest by seat capacity at the moment for USCBP pre-clearance? is it SNN? with a daily 318 and 752.

Anyways, I figure there has to be a minimum number to make this setup worth it for all the parties involved... Unless you are AUH and just have it for the prestige. :)

It’s gotta be the Vancouver train station. While SNN has very little in winter, it definitely spikes significantly in summer.

AC could indirectly benefit by preclearance at YQB by feeding a handful of pax to UA from the likes of YZV. In addition, now that AC are firmly planting Rouge at YQB, I could see AC bringing back FLL on weekends like back in the Tango days and maybe even MCO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos