cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Media tour of finished WJ 787

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 am

The debut of Westjet’s finished cabin product and amenities. https://calgaryherald.com/business/loca ... air-travel

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Re: Media tour of finished WJ 787

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:21 am

A more in depth look at each cabin upfront

https://youtu.be/yuSQ6SmJLEA

DL747400

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 am

I am a HUGE Westjet fan and cannot wait to sample the lie flat product on their new 787-9. Really a beautiful aircraft and their cabins are gorgeous.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

DTWorld

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:54 am

^Agreed.

Premium select and coach are more identical to the DL A350s than they do the AC 787s.

ABEguy

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:18 am

320 passengers. That’s a lot for a -9. Small business cabin.

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:26 am

air canada’s cabin is as sterile as a hospital , sorry , its old and looks very basic compared to the customizations wj selected with the rockwell super diamond seat for J cabin . here is my nancy peloso slow clap for you bitter betty . cheers.

KLSMB

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:51 am

I was really hoping that Westjet would come out with an onboard product that would definitively set them apart from the competition. Unfortunately that doesn't seems to be the case here. In my opinion, the cabin looks really nice in all classes but it appears to be almost identical to Air Canada's 787-900 cabin in all aspects (other than Westjet having a much more interesting colour scheme and less J/more Y seats).

That said, I'm really looking forward to taking a flight on one of these new beauties! Great to finally have another Canadian airline offering wide body service.

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:09 pm

KLSMB wrote:
I was really hoping that Westjet would come out with an onboard product that would definitively set them apart from the competition. Unfortunately that doesn't seems to be the case here. In my opinion, the cabin looks really nice in all classes but it appears to be almost identical to Air Canada's 787-900 cabin in all aspects (other than Westjet having a much more interesting colour scheme and less J/more Y seats).

That said, I'm really looking forward to taking a flight on one of these new beauties! Great to finally have another Canadian airline offering wide body service.

Take note the business product features a fully extendable sliding divider between the centre suites, a feature air canada does not have on their super diamond seats. I am not sure what more one can do to further set a business cabin apart from the competition air canada . From a business class layout , its solid. One can also argue , with a smaller J cabin , it creates for a more intimate and attentively served J cabin in my opinion .

ac7e7

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:41 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
KLSMB wrote:

Take note the business product features a fully extendable sliding divider between the centre suites, a feature air canada does not have on their super diamond seats. I am not sure what more one can do to further set a business cabin apart from the competition air canada . From a business class layout , its solid. One can also argue , with a smaller J cabin , it creates for a more intimate and attentively served J cabin in my opinion .

The plane’s interior looks good. However, unless Westjet can offer a compelling product for business travellers and frequent flyers (not just the seat, but the level of service frequent travellers expect such as upgrades, concierges, priority boarding (before pets would be nice), priority baggage, better gate locations in airports (YYZ-T3 is old and looks out of date), etc.), WS’ new seats (even with a divider) won’t eat much into AC’s market share.

ac33e

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:10 pm

At least AC offers its standardized, critically acclaimed international business class product on routes that actually make sense, such as YYC-LHR and YYZ-HND, not YYC-CDG/DUB/LGW. We'll let the market speak about the value of it (cough cough, look at AC's stock over the past 6m vs. WS in the same time period)

YYZatcboy

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:00 am

ac33e wrote:
At least AC offers its standardized, critically acclaimed international business class product on routes that actually make sense, such as YYC-LHR and YYZ-HND, not YYC-CDG/DUB/LGW. We'll let the market speak about the value of it (cough cough, look at AC's stock over the past 6m vs. WS in the same time period)

Apparently the concept of connecting traffic eludes you.

The WJA management stated several times in there most recent earnings call that 787 bookings are at or ahead of where WJA business planned for them to be. Assuming that WS management planned to operate those planes to make money, it appears they are well on track to do so. Right after that earnings call the WJA stock climbed like a rocket. So yeah, the market appears to have spoken. Good bookings and rising stock price.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

ac7e7

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:56 am

YYZatcboy wrote:
ac33e wrote:

Apparently the concept of connecting traffic eludes you.

The WJA management stated several times in there most recent earnings call that 787 bookings are at or ahead of where WJA business planned for them to be. Assuming that WS management planned to operate those planes to make money, it appears they are well on track to do so. Right after that earnings call the WJA stock climbed like a rocket. So yeah, the market appears to have spoken. Good bookings and rising stock price.

Let’s not confuse meeting expectations with making money. For all we know, their expectations were set very low. They also planned to operate the planes at a lower frequency than their 767 for a period of time. Nothing wrong with this strategy in the short term (especially since it is a new aircraft type), but new aircraft must be utilized at a high rate in order to ‘make money’.

Just because they are “meeting expectations” does not mean they are making money.

whywhyzee

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I don't think this is at all a competing product to AC, and further, it's probably smart to not try to compete with them. AC caters to the business traveller and the established, more upper class of society passenger. WestJet has a completely different brand image, they are much more attainable if that makes any sense.

With only 16J, it's clear they have zero intention of actually being a viable competition, I think their goal here is offering a more premium product for their clientele, newer money, upstart business and higher end vacation travel. In a sense, from a market standpoint, the two are complimentary, not competitive.

I think of AC/WS as more akin to a BA/VS, where the dominant large carrier services the market as a whole, taking into account business travel and connections, where as the smaller focusses on a more niche offering, service with a very different focus, in WS's (and VS) case, the style and flair they offer, which appeals to a specific clientele.

To be fair however, 3 class service also will in my opinion clarify the class of service concept, which is seemingly lost on Canadians. People tend to complain when they buy Y and the product is increasingly lower and lower quality...well, what do you expect. I think the US traveller for the most part has a much better idea of the concept of paying for a better product, and as a result, US carriers and destinations tend to do well in premium cabins. This may be what Canada needs to bridge that gap.

ACCS300

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Look good but Westjet seems to always act like they invented something. The 787 has been around for a long time, so has fully-flat beds, reverse herringbone and the like. Good on Westjet for catching-up tho, and nice that we'll not have to put up with those derelict, unreliable 767s with their ancient product, lack of IFE and no complementary food. Westjet will most certainly have to win-back so of those 'guests' who put up with long-delays and a rough intro to their long-haul offerings.

boeing767300

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Bookings are ahead of plan! Seriously what does that mean, for the most part it is meaningless. Bums in seats may be ahead of plan but at what fare class and what yield. Also I don't expect that they would say that bookings are not meeting expectations. Meanwhile as mentioned earlier they have not come up with a product that will set them apart from the competition. If they continue to charge for meals in economy then they will set themselves apart from the competition but in a negative way. Gatwick is another negative factor, I flew in there two weeks ago on WS1. I was surprised at how tired both the north and south terminals look. The place had a very run down feel to it and was dominated by ultra low cost carriers including Norwegian. Definitely not a business class airport and more appropriate for Norwegian, Ryanair etc.

ac7e7

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:20 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
I don't think this is at all a competing product to AC, and further, it's probably smart to not try to compete with them. AC caters to the business traveller and the established, more upper class of society passenger. WestJet has a completely different brand image, they are much more attainable if that makes any sense.

With only 16J, it's clear they have zero intention of actually being a viable competition, I think their goal here is offering a more premium product for their clientele, newer money, upstart business and higher end vacation travel. In a sense, from a market standpoint, the two are complimentary, not competitive.

I think of AC/WS as more akin to a BA/VS, where the dominant large carrier services the market as a whole, taking into account business travel and connections, where as the smaller focusses on a more niche offering, service with a very different focus, in WS's (and VS) case, the style and flair they offer, which appeals to a specific clientele.

To be fair however, 3 class service also will in my opinion clarify the class of service concept, which is seemingly lost on Canadians. People tend to complain when they buy Y and the product is increasingly lower and lower quality...well, what do you expect. I think the US traveller for the most part has a much better idea of the concept of paying for a better product, and as a result, US carriers and destinations tend to do well in premium cabins. This may be what Canada needs to bridge that gap.

Except WS is on the record saying they hope to win over business travellers from AC. I have no problem with competition, but they can’t do things half ass. Either go all in and compete, or don’t bother.

WS is all over the place, and despite their new CEO claiming they are more focused then ever before, I am not as confident. They claim to be focused on business travellers, yet are chasing the lowest fares in the market with Swoop. They can’t be everything to everyone.

I think fighting for business market share is a good move. However, I don’t believe they are focused enough. They won’t win over AC frequent travellers with a half ass product. They should dump Swoop and focus on higher yields.

I am always open to moving my business over to WS, but not just for a smile.

longhauler

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:41 pm

ac7e7 wrote:
Except WS is on the record saying they hope to win over business travellers from AC. I have no problem with competition, but they can’t do things half ass. Either go all in and compete, or don’t bother.

Canadian Airlines' on board product was always better than Air Canada. Wardair's was better than both of them. Did that gain them any business passengers? Nope.

While I like to see Westjet moving torwards a better on board product, if taking passengers from Air Canada is their reason for doing so, I don't see it happening.

I deadhead from time to time and enjoy sitting beside a "business traveller" in J. When they wish to talk, I always ask them why they choose Air Canada. Their answers vary and I find it quite fascinating, but ... the quality of the on board product is rarely mentioned. It is all the other stuff ... stuff I didn't even know existed that they want.

So not only would Westjet have to match that ... and that isn't happening any time soon ... but they would have to exceed it!

While knocking Air Canada is a public Canadian pastime, it is not so with the average high level frequent flier. The road warrior that spends more time in the stratosphere than I do is quite happy.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos