Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

BKK - SYD Route - Future Developments

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:37 pm

After leaving Emirates (EK) of the BKK-SYD sector, will Thai Airways (TG) or Qantas (QF) be used to increase capacity or frequencies?

TG reduced its services to Australia this season, but with the departure of EK could have plans to return their second flight to SYD with Boeing 747-400 or Boeing 777-300ER

Qantas could also be in plans to increase BKK can be a good opportunity to send the Airbus A380-800, as this year more dreamliners arrive for their services in the United States or maybe a second daily flights with A330
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG - UA

JQ321

Re: BKK-SYD route

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
After leaving Emirates (EK) of the BKK-SYD sector, will Thai Airways (TG) or Qantas (QF) be used to increase capacity or frequencies?

TG reduced its services to Australia this season, but with the departure of EK could have plans to return their second flight to SYD with Boeing 747-400 or Boeing 777-300ER

Qantas could also be in plans to increase BKK can be a good opportunity to send the Airbus A380-800, as this year more dreamliners arrive for their services in the United States or maybe a second daily flights with A330

If it will happen it will more than likely be another A330 . QANTAS Don't really have any spare and A380 and the 787's are replacing 747 so they are extra capacity

SCFlyer

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:39 am

BKK is also low yielding VFR so if QF are to increase their presence I would tip a QF A330 replacing JQ on MEL-BKK while moving that JQ 787 to SYD-BKK alongside QF mainline to meet 'capacity' (like how HNL has both QF and JQ)

vhebb

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:31 am

I think more chance of QF replacing JQ on MEL-BKK and JQ use the spare 787 flying to add services to Vietnam which is seeing good growth.

SeaEagle8

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:57 am

vhebb wrote:
I think more chance of QF replacing JQ on MEL-BKK and JQ use the spare 787 flying to add services to Vietnam which is seeing good growth.

In order for this to happen though QF would need to take more A330 flying off domestic. There is still sufficient demand to fly the A330 from SYD-MEL and SYD and MEL-PER.

With EK exiting SYD-BKK and with TG scaling back, the SYD-BKK route is taking a huge hit. I wouldn't be surprised if TG adds back some capacity to SYD this year.
NSW based avgeek

smi0006

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:00 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
vhebb wrote:

In order for this to happen though QF would need to take more A330 flying off domestic. There is still sufficient demand to fly the A330 from SYD-MEL and SYD and MEL-PER.

With EK exiting SYD-BKK and with TG scaling back, the SYD-BKK route is taking a huge hit. I wouldn't be surprised if TG adds back some capacity to SYD this year.

JQ and QF ex MEL and SYD make sense. But frames are an issue, it seems QF could do with 3-4 more 330s. But BKK is low yielding so not sure it would warrant the investment. I feel MEL-CGK is also in this boat too.

Vietname ex-MEL/SYD would also make sense for the JQ788. And this is a key point, as Vietnam has become more popular with tourists, Thailand as a destination is now competing increasingly for the traffic. Maybe the market is depressed?

We could also see Thai Air Asia expand capturing some more of the lower yielding traffic

I’m not sure we’d see 789s on SYD-DFW. But if we did I think QF would make SYD-HKG year round with a 380 before BKK.

TheEuphorian

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:25 am

Well, good chance for TG to put their A380s on this route, but for whatever reason, it won't happen.

SQ22

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
Well, good chance for TG to put their A380s on this route, but for whatever reason, it won't happen.

Simple reason is a lack of available frames. It seems TG is still operating 744 because they want to offer a F product and besides 388 744 is the only other aircraft with F in the fleet. Furthermore they seem to be a bit short of widebody frames in general. My understanding was that this was the reason why there is only one daily BKK-SYD run.

I flew the route recently and load was quite good on both sectors. The hard product is not the newest, but the service was very attentive.

Melbourne

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:50 pm

smi0006 wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
vhebb wrote:

JQ and QF ex MEL and SYD make sense. But frames are an issue, it seems QF could do with 3-4 more 330s. But BKK is low yielding so not sure it would warrant the investment. I feel MEL-CGK is also in this boat too.

Vietname ex-MEL/SYD would also make sense for the JQ788. And this is a key point, as Vietnam has become more popular with tourists, Thailand as a destination is now competing increasingly for the traffic. Maybe the market is depressed?

We could also see Thai Air Asia expand capturing some more of the lower yielding traffic

I’m not sure we’d see 789s on SYD-DFW. But if we did I think QF would make SYD-HKG year round with a 380 before BKK.

JQ already serve SGN from Melbourne.

CityRail

Re: BKK - SYD Route - Future Developments

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Would it be viable for VA or EY to launch BKK-SYD to fill up the gap?

MalevTU134

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Where is Olympic Airways when you need them? :duck:

aeropix

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:29 pm

CityRail wrote:

The reason EK is leaving and other airlines are reducing capacity is because this market is drying up = hence there will be no "gap" to be filled. The route is being "right-sized"

Flightsimboy

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:16 pm

aeropix wrote:
CityRail wrote:

The reason EK is leaving and other airlines are reducing capacity is because this market is drying up = hence there will be no "gap" to be filled. The route is being "right-sized"

A route served for years just pulled completely. Qantas' non-stops to London may have to do with this. More and more places are getting easier to reach and a two stop to London makes no sense.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

Melbourne

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:28 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
aeropix wrote:
CityRail wrote:

A route served for years just pulled completely. Qantas' non-stops to London may have to do with this. More and more places are getting easier to reach and a two stop to London makes no sense.

A person flying from SYD to LHR would still be stopping the same amount of times with QF, only thing it is via PER and not BKK in what you're saying. Don't forget a number of new one stop low cost connections to Asia have sprung up in the past year such as AirAsia X via KUL, Scoot via SIN and even Jetstar/asia via SIN.

Flightsimboy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:04 am

Melbourne wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:
aeropix wrote:

A person flying from SYD to LHR would still be stopping the same amount of times with QF, only thing it is via PER and not BKK in what you're saying. Don't forget a number of new one stop low cost connections to Asia have sprung up in the past year such as AirAsia X via KUL, Scoot via SIN and even Jetstar/asia via SIN.

It was specific to EK on the SYD-LHR route if they flew Sydney-Bangkok (stop)-Dubai (transit)-London. With QF it is still domestic to PER I would hope just like AC to Sydney with the stop in YVR considered a domestic flight. Not sure what kept this routing going so steadily in the past considering EK also offered two one stop options in tango with this two stops to London.

At the end of the day airliners are now taking more people nonstop from A to C without stopping in B. If people choose to go via B it is because of the fare or carrier of their choice. For the ME3 they are starting to realise this and EK definitely saw it coming hence the drop in A380s and instead going for the A330s and A350s both of which they had either declined or phased out of their fleet.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

Flightsimboy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:06 am

I am happy to say in 1994 I flew the 747-400 for the first time with BA on the BKK-SYD-BKK route. That is almost 25 years ago wow!!

Melbourne

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:58 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
Melbourne wrote:
Flightsimboy wrote:

It was specific to EK on the SYD-LHR route if they flew Sydney-Bangkok (stop)-Dubai (transit)-London. With QF it is still domestic to PER I would hope just like AC to Sydney with the stop in YVR considered a domestic flight. Not sure what kept this routing going so steadily in the past considering EK also offered two one stop options in tango with this two stops to London.

At the end of the day airliners are now taking more people nonstop from A to C without stopping in B. If people choose to go via B it is because of the fare or carrier of their choice. For the ME3 they are starting to realise this and EK definitely saw it coming hence the drop in A380s and instead going for the A330s and A350s both of which they had either declined or phased out of their fleet.

EK still operate once stop services to Australia operating MEL-SIN-DXB as well. The services offer pax flights between each city pairs as well as onward connections from the said cities as well and were usually cheaper to transit on than the direct DXB service. A number of airlines dropped their "tag"services into Australia such as CX on HKG-ADL-MEL, PR with MNL-SYD-MEL, (MU, CZ, CA) PEK/PVG/CAN-SYD-MEL etc. Although new services have been introduced as tag services such as DOH-SYD-CBR, SIN-MEL-WEL, TPE-MEL-WEL. A way for airlines to enter and open this market but being conservative and cautions at the same time.

Sydscott

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:41 am

smi0006 wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
vhebb wrote:

BKK will not see a QF A380. I can only see 1 of 2 things happening:

1) Thai Airways adds back capacity and goes double daily. I think this is the likeliest thing to happen.
2) QF deploy Jetstar on the route to work alongside QF.

Those are i think the two most viable options. TG have the ability to deploy the necessary aircraft already while QF A330 capacity is at a bit of a premium right now. They have already increased A330 trans-Tasman services, added the A330 back onto PER-SIN and are increasing SYD-MNL and SYD CGK while adding the 3rd SYD-SIN flight. Not to mention all of the previous adds to NRT etc. So I genuinely don't see where QF pulls additional A330's from for its international network especially once the 744's go because SYD-HNL will need to go back to A330 as well. So JQ is the most likely route but probably not until A321NEOLR's arrive to serve DPS which free's up 788's.

eta unknown

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:54 am

Or 3rd scenario as already pointed out... TG sticks with current capacity as AUD revenue with current exchange rates not that attractive.

vhtje

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:56 am

I travel between LHR and SYD frequently, and have done for many years. Thankfully these days it is at the front of the aircraft.
However I remember one trip years ago sitting in a window seat at the back of a very full QF1 (B744), which in those days stopped at BKK. The man next to whom I was seated was clearly very agitated by the slight delay in taxiing upon landing, but he was happy to have arrived in BKK. He then went on to tell me, unprompted and in some graphic detail, of some of his exploits in the past and that he had planned for this trip in Bangkok. His ending comment was, “ the Thais are just so willing”. I think he was trying to shock me. It certainly worked.

I have never set foot outside of BKK on Thai soil as a result of that conversation, and have no intention of ever going there. My point being, if that is the passenger BKK attracts, yields are low.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Obzerva

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:55 am

IST-BKK-SYD on TK?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos