armchairceonr1
Topic Author

Norwegian Trans-Atlantic service route cuts in W19?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:56 am

I just checked what routes Norwegian have for sale for W19/20 vs what they offer this winter.

For sale:

JFK-AMS
JFK-LGW
JFK-MAD
JFK-CDG

EWR-BCN
EWR-FCO

BOS-LGW

LAX-BCN
LAX-LGW
LAX-MAD
LAX-CDG

MCO-LGW
MCO-CDG
MIA-LGW

TPA-LGW

Not for sale anymore for W19/20:

JFK-CPH
JFK-OSL
JFK-ARN

EWR-ORY

SWF-DUB
SWF-EDI

BOS-CDG

PVD-DUB

LAS-LGW

LAX-CPH
LAX-OSL

MCO-OSL
MCO-ARN

FLL-CPH
FLL-LGW
FLL-OSL
FLL-CDG
FLL-ARN

DEN-LGW

OAK-BCN
OAK-LGW
OAK-CDG

ORD-LGW

It looks like they are very heavily downsizing their Transatlantic service for low season. Any thoughts?

LHUSA

Re: Norwegian Trans-Atlantic service route cuts in W19?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:20 am

My guess is that winter schedules are not nearly finalized so far out. But I’m also not very familiar with Norwegian’s schedule releases.

JBLUA320

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:43 am

Correct; the schedules are not finalized. Whereas many airlines do a full batch release of winter and summer, Norwegian releases schedules as they are ready.

Blerg

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:12 am

You should add to your list the recently announced JFK-ATH.
Any special reason why some routes are from JFK while some others from EWR?

a350lover

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 am

I posted weeks ago about the lack of schedules on sale for the winter season to EVERYWHERE from OAK or FLL, and my guess is that many routes will follow the same luck OAK/FLL-LGW services which starting this Apr19 are switched on to main airports SFO and MIA. Considering how they are acting in BCN (4th frame arriving in summer, increase in LAX to 6x/w, EWR daily), I think it is very realistic to see them flying to SFO and MIA also from there.

For whatever reason we may/may not agree Norwegian seems 100% committed to continue with the TATL plan for the 787s.

My guess is they are just planning short-term. They need to get money quickly and they need the summer to achieve good results no matter what. The announcements done yesterday are a good proof for that. Both routes seasonal, both routes aiming to catch a nice part of a good market: cruisers. They have the fleet because DY still will add 5 more 789s this year, another 5 next year. On top of that, I believe Norwegian has only one unit of 787 yet affected by the RR issues, soon to be ready for flying again. This could only mean growths if they do not announce any "financial measures" meanwhile.

As much as we (all) have discussed the viability of all this model, which is mostly going towards much served/saturated markets, Norwegian seems to have done the numbers and they should be making some money out of it in order to continue. I find it interesting that the balance sheet of the group NAS starts to see the debt increasing and the numbers on the red only after they add the TATL and the 787 to the fleet. And I say that not because I would like to see Norwegian falling (who would?!!!), just because FT and many economy publications have talked about it also.

I only wish they can make their way to profitability and find a comprehensible and stable schedule.

PatrickZ80

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 am

The fact that the schedule doesn't show yet doesn't mean the route has been canceled, it might still come. Some of those routes are their key routes, so I don't expect them to cut those. On the other hand, Norwegian has done some pretty insane things before. As if they're only trying to speed up their bankruptcy.

I've never heard about such practice related to aviation, but it has happened that the management of a company with debts have deliberately let their business go bankrupt. After that happened, they come in with a second company also owned by them and buy the assets. It's a way to get rid of the debts.

Someone83

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:37 am

Blerg wrote:
Any special reason why some routes are from JFK while some others from EWR?

Slots/terminal space at JFK

enilria

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The fact that the schedule doesn't show yet doesn't mean the route has been canceled, it might still come. Some of those routes are their key routes, so I don't expect them to cut those. On the other hand, Norwegian has done some pretty insane things before. As if they're only trying to speed up their bankruptcy.

I've never heard about such practice related to aviation, but it has happened that the management of a company with debts have deliberately let their business go bankrupt. After that happened, they come in with a second company also owned by them and buy the assets. It's a way to get rid of the debts.

This is another Norwegian bashing thread. JetBlue isn’t selling their Winter 19/20 schedule. I guess they are liquidating.

armchairceonr1
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Update:

For sale:

JFK-AMS
JFK-LGW
JFK-MAD
JFK-CDG
JFK-OSL

EWR-BCN
EWR-FCO

BOS-LGW

PVD-DUB

LAX-BCN
LAX-LGW
LAX-MAD
LAX-CDG

MCO-LGW
MCO-CDG

MIA-LGW

TPA-LGW

SFO-LGW

JFK-CPH
JFK-ARN

EWR-ORY

SWF-DUB
SWF-EDI

BOS-CDG

LAS-LGW

LAX-CPH
LAX-OSL

MCO-OSL
MCO-ARN

FLL-CPH
FLL-LGW
FLL-OSL
FLL-CDG
FLL-ARN

OAK-BCN
OAK-LGW
OAK-CDG

ORD-LGW

DEN-LGW

What their 787's is going to do next winter, wet lease maybe? They can't park those for months.
armchairceonr1 wrote:
I just checked what routes Norwegian have for sale for W19/20 vs what they offer this winter.

For sale:

JFK-AMS
JFK-LGW
JFK-MAD
JFK-CDG

EWR-BCN
EWR-FCO

BOS-LGW

LAX-BCN
LAX-LGW
LAX-MAD
LAX-CDG

MCO-LGW
MCO-CDG
MIA-LGW

TPA-LGW

JFK-CPH
JFK-OSL
JFK-ARN

EWR-ORY

SWF-DUB
SWF-EDI

BOS-CDG

PVD-DUB

LAS-LGW

LAX-CPH
LAX-OSL

MCO-OSL
MCO-ARN

FLL-CPH
FLL-LGW
FLL-OSL
FLL-CDG
FLL-ARN

DEN-LGW

OAK-BCN
OAK-LGW
OAK-CDG

ORD-LGW

It looks like they are very heavily downsizing their Transatlantic service for low season. Any thoughts?

OlympicATH

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Blerg wrote:
You should add to your list the recently announced JFK-ATH.

That is a seasonal service, was never meant to be operated in the winter.

by738

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:44 pm

... so overall some fuss over nothing?

LHUSA

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:00 pm

by738 wrote:
... so overall some fuss over nothing?

??

They appear to have drastically cut their TATL routes vs the previous winter. Certainly something to discuss. It would be late now to file those winter routes.

Ytraveller

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:05 pm

LAS-LGW is another summer seasonal operation. https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... /94025902/

OB1504

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Is Privilege Style still going to be operating the LGW-MIA route?

Someone83

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:20 pm

armchairceonr1 wrote:

FLL-OSL

OSL-FLL is for sale. But seems to be only 2x weekly from mid-November

bluefrog

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 pm

i know this is about the TATL flights but as i'm thinking of going to southern Asia end Nov/Dec i had a quick look at a CDG-BKK which was via ARN the price for the basic y with seats on all flights but meals only on ARN-BKK section and 1 x 20kg bag will set me back 744.91 euros ! while with southern china a return via CAN will set me back less than 400 do you think they will be lightinhg their asians routes as well ?

PVD757

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:13 pm

SWF-DUB is daily+ this coming winter.

SCQ83

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 pm

What about MAD-BOS and MAD-FLL?

LHUSA

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:23 pm

PVD757 wrote:

Right, as noted by OP that is running this winter.

globalflyer

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:44 pm

Yea... I could not find DEN in the Winter schedule. A shame...
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:45 pm

I am no expert on selling tickets.

But its almost july.
Shoudn’t the winter routes already be on sale? Norwegian and JetBlue and whoever one?

chonetsao

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:48 pm

LHUSA wrote:
PVD757 wrote:

I don't know where you saw, but this route is clearly marked by OP that is not for sale, contrary to PVD757 post.

PVD757

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 am

chonetsao wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
PVD757 wrote:

I don't know where you saw, but this route is clearly marked by OP that is not for sale, contrary to PVD757 post.

SWF-DUB is listed in both lists above as “not for sale anymore for W19/20.”

It IS indeed for sale and is incorrectly listed.

Cointrin330

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:39 am

armchairceonr1 wrote:

For sale:

JFK-AMS
JFK-LGW
JFK-MAD
JFK-CDG

EWR-BCN
EWR-FCO

BOS-LGW

LAX-BCN
LAX-LGW
LAX-MAD
LAX-CDG

MCO-LGW
MCO-CDG
MIA-LGW

TPA-LGW

JFK-CPH
JFK-OSL
JFK-ARN

EWR-ORY

SWF-DUB
SWF-EDI

BOS-CDG

PVD-DUB

LAS-LGW

LAX-CPH
LAX-OSL

MCO-OSL
MCO-ARN

FLL-CPH
FLL-LGW
FLL-OSL
FLL-CDG
FLL-ARN

DEN-LGW

OAK-BCN
OAK-LGW
OAK-CDG

ORD-LGW

EWR-ORY was dropped early in 2019 and it was a permanent cut.

CALMSP

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:52 am

Does that mean DEN market is closed till seasonal return or a complete pullout?

LuxuryTravelled

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:48 am

Ytraveller wrote:
LAS-LGW is another summer seasonal operation. https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... /94025902/

I have been told that Gatwick to Vegas is a perminant cancellation, not just summer only.

spinkid

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:04 am

SWF-EDI was to be dropped permnanently last March, it ended early when the MAX shut down hit. They are flying thin as it is with them idle and wet leasing all kinds of aircraft to cover all kinds of routes, so I wouldn't expect finalizations.

lesfalls

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:49 pm

JFK-CPH/ARN being cutsurprises me as those were their first routes to the U.S and are known very well both in Scandinavia. Flew both routes numerous times too and were always full (in the winter).
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr. (Only a little more)

jfklganyc

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:59 pm

lesfalls wrote:
JFK-CPH/ARN being cutsurprises me as those were their first routes to the U.S and are known very well both in Scandinavia. Flew both routes numerous times too and were always full (in the winter).

It is ironic given their name.

Also, SAS flies to EWR not JFK.

Either way, this is a rearrangement of their schedule to try to get somewhat profitable I assume.

Their seems to be a fantasy world on a.net where:

-The ME3 could expand with giant planes going to desert cities with little or small O and D vs the seats they were offering

-Iceland was an undiscovered paradise that was in line for a double hub and 40 percent increase in pax

-Norwegian could defy decades of TA economics and flood the market with expensive 787s and 737s connecting non hubs to non hubs while using several different operating certificates

I guess I am the old, staid poster that said none of it was sustainable.

It wasnt. It isnt.

The chickens have come home to roost.

SASViking

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:19 pm

lesfalls wrote:

One thing is having a full aircraft, it's a whole different story to earn money on it. Norwegian often advertise CPH-JFK for $150-ish. You fill your aircraft with those prices but you'll lose money on it.
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

finnishway

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Maybe they just should follow Eurowings and give up longhaul and focus on shorthaul. Better to make airline financially stable and not go out of business when oil prices go up and next depression hits.

santi319

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:30 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Either way, this is a rearrangement of their schedule to try to get somewhat profitable I assume.

-The ME3 could expand with giant planes going to desert cities with little or small O and D vs the seats they were offering

-Iceland was an undiscovered paradise that was in line for a double hub and 40 percent increase in pax

-Norwegian could defy decades of TA economics and flood the market with expensive 787s and 737s connecting non hubs to non hubs while using several different operating certificates

It wasnt. It isnt.

You sir, make too much sense! Spot on!

LHUSA

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:03 pm

PVD757 wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
LHUSA wrote:

SWF-DUB is listed in both lists above as “not for sale anymore for W19/20.”

It IS indeed for sale and is incorrectly listed.

My bad! I must have had too much to drink ;)

Blerg

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:08 pm

finnishway wrote:
Maybe they just should follow Eurowings and give up longhaul and focus on shorthaul. Better to make airline financially stable and not go out of business when oil prices go up and next depression hits.

I think it's too late for that, what would they do with all the long-haul aircraft they currently operate and that they have on order? EW can simply hand them over to another LH Group airline and move on.

Mangs

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Blerg wrote:
finnishway wrote:

I think it's too late for that, what would they do with all the long-haul aircraft they currently operate and that they have on order? EW can simply hand them over to another LH Group airline and move on.

Replace the rolls royce engines on them to be ready to operate summer of 2020 without wetlease? :lol:

twicearound

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

It wasnt. It isnt.

Well said.

VS4ever

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:49 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
What about MAD-BOS and MAD-FLL?

MAD-BOS and FCO-BOS were definitely summer season only. CDG was at least through december last winter and all 3 exist through Oct 19 as far as I can tell, but thus far, they are not available beyond that. not saying that won't change, but for right now, only LGW is bookable long term from BOS.
Last edited by VS4ever on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

skipness1E

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:52 pm

OKAY, so what's the required B787 fleet size for the winter?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos