Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eirflot

Re: FlyBmi ceases operations.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:02 am

Cityjet maybe a bit of a mess but they are still around and still flying - more than can ve said for BMI Regional!!!

ammunition

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:06 am

It's probably no coincidence that the commercial heads at BMI were also the commercial heads at Flybe and Monarch and we all know how those have faired of late. That's got to be one of the factors as well as Brexit uncertainty, ageing fleet requiring heavy maintenance, loss of contracted flying. My thoughts go out to all the staff, this really is very sad to see.

VSMUT

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 am

eirflot wrote:
Cityjet maybe a bit of a mess but they are still around and still flying - more than can ve said for BMI Regional!!!

That's debatable. A third of CityJets flights generally aren't flying.

There is no shortage of European airlines that can handle contract flying better than CityJet.

OA260

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:24 am

eirflot wrote:

Although you wonder how long for. Not hearing great things about them recently and some people are starting to get nervous.

zkojq

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 am

VSMUT wrote:
zkojq wrote:
ZuluTime wrote:
I’m not sure any of their Lufthansa routes could stay profitable if they lose the rights to fly them from the end of March ?!

Exactly. With uncertainty like that, why would Lufthansa continue the contract with them past the end of march? Much less risky to call up someone like CityJet, who they know has no issue with rights, and get them to do that flying.

Lufthansa would be batshit crazy to contract anything to CityJet, considering the self-made mess they made of the SAS contract.

Maybe they subcontract it to CityJet, maybe they subcontract it to Air Nostrum, maybe they subcontract it to Nordica.

Actually, speaking of SAS, how are their flights subcontracted out to FLYBe going to operate after Brexit? They won't have authority to operate Swedish regional routes, will they?
First to fly the 787-9

caaardiff

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am

bmi had a number of issues operationally which didn't help. That combined with Brexit uncertainty didnt put them in a good place.
They must had lost a lot of customers due to poor OTP. They were flying an ageing unreliable fleet and struggled with recruitment. UK crews weren't happy with long stop overs in places like MUC and BRU due to lack of based crews on the continent. They struggled to recruit enough pilots and to keep the cabin crews they took on. That meant numerous cancellations or delays over the past few years. They had a good setup at BRS, one of their largest bases, but BRS often bore the brunt of cancellations and delays by sending aircraft and crews off elsewhere to recover the flying program.

707Liner

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:02 am

Very sad to see British Midland finally go . . . And by the way, DutchBoeing's comments above should be noted - Brexit is a nightmare

Summa767

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 am

skipness1E wrote:
Let’s dial the hysteria back a tad, we’re all still waiting for Osbourne’s punishment budget!

It is darter flippant and arrogant to brush off Brexit as a main factor in flybmi’s demise.
I agree that the Brexit forecasts were far too alarmist in the timescale of the negative outcomes; but the IMF was the most accurate in predicting growth slowing down from 2.4% to 1.4% (2017 it was 1.8% and 2018 a poor 1.2% despite the summer being buoyant due to an unusually long warm weather and World Cup fever). Moreover, the slump in the value of the Pound was right on cue. It remains weak -and worse of all is that the industrial production a weak currency was supposed to boost has not happened. Inward investment has dropped for the last 4 quarters too. Oil price is not particularly high, but it should be straight forward to understand that having a decades low Pound against the currency in which oil is priced makes all the difference.
Add to that the reduced demand in valuable flying contracts involving European routes due to the consequences of Brexit and it should be clear to follow the reasoning of Flybmi’s liquidation as stated in their parting statement.

VSMUT

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:25 am

zkojq wrote:
Maybe they subcontract it to CityJet, maybe they subcontract it to Air Nostrum, maybe they subcontract it to Nordica.

Or they keep it internally, or drop it altogether, or do it via Adria and so on.

zkojq wrote:
Actually, speaking of SAS, how are their flights subcontracted out to FLYBe going to operate after Brexit? They won't have authority to operate Swedish regional routes, will they?

I have no clue. In typical SAS fashion, I doubt they do either.

I don't think DAT's recent ATR 72-600 acquisition was a complete coincidence either...

Dupli

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am

Richard North has an explanation, as usual:
http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87150

Presumably, British Airways will be similarly affected but, again, no precise costs are available. However, in 2011, it was reported that the airline faced a bill of nearly €50 million a year, the highest of any airline, when carriers around the world were brought into the ETS, and that was based on 81 percent of allowances being allocated free.

If the free allowance is removed, theoretical annual costs could rise by as much as €300 million

by738

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:05 pm

LM already filling the gaps ex ABZ

bennett123

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Who is LM.

OA260

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:16 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Who is LM.

Loganair

ammunition

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Why was my post deleted?
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

FlapsOne
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Does anyone have a copy of their route map? I’m specifically interested in intra EU mainland flights. All of the maps I can see on an image search seem to be largely to, from and within the UK and I can only assume they’re very old

C010T3

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:10 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of their route map? I’m specifically interested in intra EU mainland flights. All of the maps I can see on an image search seem to be largely to, from and within the UK and I can only assume they’re very old

Their routes are still available at FlightConnections: https://www.flightconnections.com/

They are bound to removed from the site sooner or later, considering that AFAIK they don't offer a time period function, so that historic routes disappear.

Fitlikemin

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Loganair are taking over the ABZ routes to BRS, EBJ & OSL from 4/3/19.

bennett123

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:36 pm

MHG

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:43 pm

FlapsOne wrote:

Not a complete list but at least a starter ...
MUC-SCN
MUC-RLG
Both routes with LH codeshare and in particular the route to RLG has slowly but continously developped despite everybody said "there´s no market".
Passenger numbers (and yields obviously) have improved so that LH fairly recently initiated an increase to twice daily service 5/7.

MUC-SCN is much more difficult and unlikely to survive without LH support. Given LH´s and LG´s relationship is not as good anymore I doubt LG will step in on that route ...
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Breathe

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:53 pm

bennett123 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-47270342

Interesting that they don't mention that Loganair is owned by the same company that has just shutdown their former sister airline.

olle

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:53 pm

First victim for UK aviation to Brexit?

FlapsOne
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:58 pm

olle wrote:

People were blaming brexit for easyJet ‘moving to austria’, the demise of Monarch, Norwegian’s woes, flyBE’s terminal illness, Primera’s collapse and Ryanair moving a plane to Edinburgh from Glasgow. So it depends who you ask.
Last edited by FlapsOne on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bennett123

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:01 pm

I had a look on Flightradar24 yesterday.

ERJ135

G-RJXK last flight 15th ending BRS
G-RJXL last flight 15th ending BRS
G-RJXP last flight 16th ending NWI

ERJ145

G-CKAF last flight 15th ending BRS
G-CKAG last flight 15th ending BRS
G-EMBI last flight 15th ending ABZ
G-EMBJ last flight 16th ending BRS
G-EMBN last flight 16th ending NWI
G-RJXA last flight 15th ending BRS
G-RJXB last flight 16th ending LDY
G-RJXC last flight 16th ending BRS
G-RJXD last flight 15th ending NCL
G-RJXE last flight 16th ending NWI
G-RJXG last flight over 7 days.+
G-RJXH last flight 14th ending CEG
G-RJXM last flight 15th ending BRS

Given that they normally fly multiple sectors each day, it looks as if they were already winding down before the axe dropped. I am assuming that the BAE Shuttle would not run on Friday anyway, and that G-RJXG is down for maintenance. According to Planefinder.net it has been at BRU since 9th January+.

That still leaves 7 aircraft that stopped flying the day before the announcement. I would be interest to know exactly when they stopped selling tickets.

I assume that the leasors will soon come and collect G-EMBI, G-EMBJ and G-EMBN.

Bhoy

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:26 pm

duplicate
Last edited by Bhoy on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bhoy

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:32 pm

bennett123 wrote:
... and that G-RJXG is down for maintenance. According to Planefinder.net it has been at BRU since 9th January+.

That still leaves 7 aircraft that stopped flying the day before the announcement. I would be interest to know exactly when they stopped selling tickets.

FR24 has G-RJXG operating 8 legs (BM2001/2002/2003, SN3661/3662, BM2006/2007/2008 BRS-BRU-BRS-BRU-SXB-BRU-BRS-BRU-BRS) on Jan 9, then positioning to Lisbon as BMR9241 on January 10.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... g#1f22a431

Rumours are that they were still selling tickets online yesterday afternoon, I'd imagine a Saturday in February (the day of the announcement) wouldn't have been a very busy day operationally given that most of their flights were aimed at the Business market.

bennett123

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Sorry, I forgot G-RJXI last flight 15th ending BRS.

So presumably G-RJXG has been sat at LIS since 10 January.

If they were selling online on the afternoon of the 16th, when half of their fleet stopped flying on the 15th or earlier then they could have a problem.

By the end of the 15th ten aircraft plus the BAE Shuttle had made their final FlyBMI flights.

Sounds as if they were selling seats knowing that the flights would not happen.

FlapsOne
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:27 pm

At the time I made me first post late yesterday afternoon flights were still available for purchase.

bx737

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Quick question, who counts the passengers on the LH flights operated by FlyBMI, is it LH or FlyBMI? The 522,000 pax on 29,000 flights is very low, yet the point was made above that the yield and pax numbers were good on the LH flights. A load factor of 38%-50% doesn’t suggest good yield and passenger numbers to me.

ZuluTime

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:55 pm

Like most regional airlines, their winter Saturday schedules are pretty light. It's the norm in any week for quite a lot of aircraft to land on Friday night and not move again until Sunday or in some cases Monday morning. The picture above is probably pretty similar for many others who are still flying today! These guys just went to sleep for the weekend as normal, the difference being that they did not wake up again.

Sad day.

DL747400

Re: Trouble at BMI?

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:33 pm

skipness1E wrote:
The sheer glee and self importance of Alex Macheras makes me sick

Ha! Ever heard of Hunter Keay in the U.S.? In that regard, they are twins separated at birth.

Back on topic, it is sad to see the smaller European carriers dropping so quickly these past few years. No question that a significant shakeout continues to occur within the European airline sector. Smaller and even some mid-sized carriers are folding. Larger carriers are acquiring assets and/or merging, slowly growing in market share. While this is not at all unlike what has taken place here in the U.S., it is important to remember that the lives and careers of countless airline employees will be affected. The upside will hopefully be that the surviving carriers become stronger and financially more healthy, bringing some much needed stability to the sector in that part of the world. I hope that over time, the ability for the unions to strike at the drop of a hat comes to and end. European carriers will never be able to truly prosper until the strikes become a thing of the past.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

DL747400

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:55 pm

ammunition wrote:
Why was my post deleted?

Enjoy your posts while they are live. The mods will delete posts and never give you a reason.

Back on topic: In reviewing BM's routemap, I'm not seeing a significant presence at slot-controlled airports. Is there any significant value in their slot portfolio? Do they they have any slots which could be sold?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Revelation

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Flaps wrote:
leghorn wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Agreed we’re all doomed. The UK is too weak and pathetic to survive outside the benevolence of the EU. We should simply set aside the vote and remain because nothing is more important than economic growth.

The UK is actually too weak to survive outside a trading block and the only block available to them is the E.U.
The UK will have all the dignity of a poor churchmouse with the Independence that going it alone gives them.

There are plenty of trading opportunities for the UK. Not being in a block can have advantages too. A UK/CA/AU/NZ/US block could possibly form. Another potential option would be the UK making ties to NAFTA. There are many potential possibilities. The all controlling hands of Brussels create just as many liabilities as they do opportunities. If the UK is successful, more will follow. This is the nightmare in Brussels.

Since there are so many opportunities and so many possibilities, you would have thought Ms May could have sorted some alternate arrangements out by now, more than two and a half years after the referendum. And yet, no, it's all just the usual babble about "the all controlling hands of Brussels" with nothing else to offer other than crashing out and hoping to pick up the pieces afterwards. As above, businesses hate uncertainty, yet the hard core Brexiters are insisting on exactly that.
Meanwhile we read:

Airbus said on Sunday it would have to make “difficult decisions” about future investment if Britain crashes out of the European Union without a deal, adding it had already spent tens of millions of euros in preparations.

Ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN1Q60AV

Seems FlyBMI didn't have the margins that would allow for such preparations.
Last edited by Revelation on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

vfw614

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Not sure why so many are referring to the "Lufthansa flights". As far as I see it, some of the MUC flights were Lufthansa code-shares (most of them not right from the start, though), but the flights were not operated on behalt of Lufthansa.

uta999 wrote:
All this talk about Brexit being partly to blame is nonsense. The British are simply not flyers. They prefer to drive their own cars, because the time and distances involved do not warrant a trip to an airport. We are not America, Russia or Australia where driving is impractical. Only a subsidised national carrier could offer regional connections, and BA has all but pulled out of that model. It just doesn't make sense.

Have you had a look at flybmi's route map? Domestic flying was a very small part of its total business.

Summa767

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:33 pm

olle wrote:

Monarch was the first one. 2 main reasons given:

-Increse in their costs due to the Brexit result induced slump of the Pound which dropped (and remains) decades low vs the US Dollar (and oil is priced in dollars)
Higher costs in their European stations but fares overwhelmingly prices in the weak Pound.

-Uncertainty of Brexit jeopardising investment in the company.

F9Animal

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 pm

It crushes my soul when any airline fails. Mainly because these men and women losing their jobs are considered my colleagues. They might be a half a world away, but it hits home hard when it happens. I hope each and every employee finds work fast, and I sincerely send my deepest sorrows to them. I also hope that things turn around fast, and that these airlines find a way through these tough times.
I Am A Different Animal!!

pdp

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:55 pm

vfw614 wrote:
Not sure why so many are referring to the "Lufthansa flights". As far as I see it, some of the MUC flights were Lufthansa code-shares (most of them not right from the start, though), but the flights were not operated on behalt of Lufthansa.

Some of the mainland Europe routes make absolutely zero sense for a tiny British airline. One example is MUC-LUZ, it’s a relatively-well patroned route but I don’t see there being much O&D between Lublin/Swidnik (eastern Poland, population ~300K?) and Munich (LH hub).

It has a Lufthansa codeshare. So while it might not be a proper Lufthansa flight, there’s little doubt as to the reason for it existing.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:42 pm

Apparently they have stranded pax who can't get back home as expected, told to call their travel agents, credit card issuers they purchased the ticket with. What a mess for them. Some may have to pay 100's of Euros/Pounds to get back home or close to it on other airlines, maybe miss days of work, stay at a hotel for a day or 2 to wait for their replacement flight or replacement transportation.
I wonder what kind of mess will exist when Brexit kicks in. That ought to be Armageddon across Europe, UK and elsewhere.

konkret

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:49 pm

pdp wrote:
So while it might not be a proper Lufthansa flight, there’s little doubt as to the reason for it existing.

I would say that the main factor was that BMI Regional received over eur 400k subsidy from LUZ (though you could say they probably wouldn’t receive the subsidy if there was no LH codeshare and connection to LH’s network).

I guess most of their routes relied heavily on such subsidies/grants.

konkret

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 am

“Since Flybmi split away from BMI, investors have pumped in £40m, which represents a subsidy of about £13 per passenger ever flown”

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 83031.html

prebennorholm

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:01 am

Fitlikemin wrote:
Loganair are taking over the ABZ routes to BRS, EBJ & OSL from 4/3/19.

DAT (Danish Air Transport) begins daily (ex weekends) EBJ - ABZ next week. https://dat.dk/ Metal is believed to be ATR-42.

If Loganair begins in two weeks time, then that route will become rather crowded given that the total market is only about 10,000 pax/year, almost 100% offshore oil production related.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:13 am

vfw614 wrote:
522 000 pax on 29 000 flights as per their press release equals an average load of 18 pax which translates into an average load factor of 37,7 per cent.

Could explain today's news to some extent.

Doesn't really sound like Brexit was their issue. Brexit is just too easy an excuse so of course they and people jumped on it. Reality is this was an airline that was gonna go under and brexit didn't make that happen.

FlapsOne
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:48 am

ltbewr wrote:
Apparently they have stranded pax who can't get back home as expected, told to call their travel agents, credit card issuers they purchased the ticket with. What a mess for them. Some may have to pay 100's of Euros/Pounds to get back home or close to it on other airlines, maybe miss days of work, stay at a hotel for a day or 2 to wait for their replacement flight or replacement transportation.
I wonder what kind of mess will exist when Brexit kicks in. That ought to be Armageddon across Europe, UK and elsewhere.

I know. Grounded flights will be the least of our worries. We won't have food. Drinking water supplies will be compromised. We won't have vital drugs. Terrorism will increase. Cancer rates will surge. Our house prices will collapse. We will have mass u employment. Marshall law will be instigated. We will have to pay to go to france. We will need a visa to go to the EU. Flights will be grounded and planes will become unsafe overnight. We will have 25 mile queues at Dover. Each househole will be £4200 worse off. Production lines will stop. Ferries will be blocked.

The end is nigh ladies and gents.

SeanM1997

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:06 am

UPDATE: FlyBMI routes which have a new operator confirmed:

Danish Air Transport will operate Esbjerg to Aberdeen from 25 February 2019
Loganair will operate Aberdeen to Bristol, Aberdeen to Oslo and Aberdeen to Stavanger from 4 March 2019
Loganair will operate Newcastle to Brussels and Newcastle to Stavanger from 25 March 2019

VSMUT

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 am

SeanM1997 wrote:

Loganair will operate Aberdeen to Bristol, Aberdeen to Oslo and Aberdeen to Stavanger from 4 March 2019
Loganair will operate Newcastle to Brussels and Newcastle to Stavanger from 25 March 2019

Loganair has also announced Esbjerg - Aberdeen from March 4th. Daily on weekdays.

TC957

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 am

FlapsOne wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

I know. Grounded flights will be the least of our worries. We won't have food. Drinking water supplies will be compromised. We won't have vital drugs. Terrorism will increase. Cancer rates will surge. Our house prices will collapse. We will have mass u employment. Marshall law will be instigated. We will have to pay to go to france. We will need a visa to go to the EU. Flights will be grounded and planes will become unsafe overnight. We will have 25 mile queues at Dover. Each househole will be £4200 worse off. Production lines will stop. Ferries will be blocked.

Wow ! I bet you're fun at parties...

FlapsOne
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 am

TC957 wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Wow ! I bet you're fun at parties...

But it’s true. We will also have chlorine chicken, gmo cereal in our cornflakes and antibiotic treated beef. We also won’t have any xray machines. So we are told anyway.

davidjohnson6

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:54 am

Any noise about anyone picking up any of bmir's former routes that did not touch the UK and which Loganair presumably won't be interested in for now ?
I'm thinking in particular of Karlstad-Jonkoping-Frankfurt which lasted for several years and by virtue of its longevity presumably made money

cougar15

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 am

MHG wrote:
jomur wrote:
Summa767 wrote:
The statement by flybmi is quite candid in its explanation about how Brexit has proven to be its downfall.

Far too easy nowadays to blame Brexit.....

Although it may seem like a cheap excuse - I believe it´s not.

If you take a closer look at their business model you may recognize that a substantial number of their flights operate solely within EU (the EU without UK after march 29)
flyBMI has been looking for investors/partners in the EU for quite a while in order to secure their EU OPS after Brexit.
Seems they failed to find investors due to the uncertaincy Brexit in its most likely scenario has created.
Combined with limited opportunities on the British domestic market the general outlook was not very promising.

So, IMHO they are indeed an early victim of Brexit.
Although Brexit certainly is not the sole reason it was likely the one which finally broke their neck.

Buy in Euro, pay in Sterling may indeed be a good excuse if you are grovelling close to the bottom anyway. The UK should/will/have made their own choices, and it may not be the root cause, but perhaps a(n) early symptom of the road ahead. No matter which camp you are in, these things will happen. Sad to see them go, all the best for the staff!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

SeanM1997

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:27 am

SeanM1997 wrote:

Meant to say Aberdeen to Esbjerg not Stavanger

vfw614

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:22 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Any noise about anyone picking up any of bmir's former routes that did not touch the UK and which Loganair presumably won't be interested in for now ?
I'm thinking in particular of Karlstad-Jonkoping-Frankfurt which lasted for several years and by virtue of its longevity presumably made money

Apparently Nordica has been drafted in for the next couple of days by the airports. Which suggests that flights have received financial support in the past. So the likes of Nordic or Adria might be interested as usual.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos